• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
FE if hype! I am still waiting on more information on how the west will receive the new game.
I just hear rumors of it being 1 campaign and DLC for the other 2, no 2nd version of the game, but I'll
wait on confirmation from NoA.

SMT x FE really caught me by suprise, I was not expecting something like that. I remember Awakening
was considered to be set on modern times so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out, even
though SMT has that setting already.

I'm looking forward to more news on both games, would love to see if some sort of multiplayer for FE:if will return, and
plot for SMT x FE which I'm excited for and looks to be a game I will buy.

D

Deleted member 269706

Looks like I'm set on Nohr's path too. No Camilla had nothing to do with it...okay, maybe a little.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I am just on Nohr's path cause it seems cool! Although I will probably make my sister get the Hoshido route so we can just play the other route on each other's copy.

I change my mind about the initial reaction. I thought it was two separate routes in one game. Nope. Its two separate games and eventual 3rd DLC for even more money.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Fire Emblem is getting pretty DLC-ized.

I still didn't get Awakening cause of the DLC. I know it is not storyline related but when I know I don't have the complete copy of the game, it gets on my nerves.

This is a further case where the 2nd (and 3rd) parts of the game are being separated. Hopefully all these routes are huge, otherwise I will be really annoyed by the direction FE is moving in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I don't think we need to worry too much about this when the game gets localized, and there's a few reasons for this:
  • The Fire Emblem series is much less known outside of Japan - by making two copies they would have a much harder time making a profit
  • There will be a special edition release of the game where both the Hoshido and Nohr paths are on the same cartridge (comes with other things...). So it's very well possible to fit both games on the same cartridge.
  • Since they're willing to sell the other path as DLC for about half the original price, they obviously don't care about selling it for full price.
  • And there was NOTHING mentioned in the NA direct presentation.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Outside of Pokemon, I haven't bought a 2 version styled game since the Mega Man handheld games.

I will admit though, if the game comes out in 2 versions, I'll be buying a physical copy of both probably. I bought a physical copy of Awakening, even if I got it digitally with the bundled console. The only US FE I'm missing is Sacred Stones, and I want that CIB like the rest.

If FE ever does anything extremely limited in the US again, I'll be a little wary. So many Nintendo scalpers these days :/

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
Fire Emblem is getting pretty DLC-ized.

I still didn't get Awakening cause of the DLC. I know it is not storyline related but when I know I don't have the complete copy of the game, it gets on my nerves.

This is a further case where the 2nd (and 3rd) parts of the game are being separated. Hopefully all these routes are huge, otherwise I will be really annoyed by the direction FE is moving in.
I believe DLC came afterwards in Japan. We didn't get Awakening until a year later but they offered DLC too.

Don't let DLC be the problem of not getting Awakening. I had fun and the game is already big as it is without DLC.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I believe DLC came afterwards in Japan. We didn't get Awakening until a year later but they offered DLC too.

Don't let DLC be the problem of not getting Awakening. I had fun and the game is already big as it is without DLC.
It is not like I don't like the DLC.

Just that my perception of the cost of the game includes DLC (as I gotta get it all) hence me delaying the purchase.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't like where Fire Emblem is going at this rate. If this fire emblem disappoints me I'll probably be done with any new fire emblems on their release.

I really enjoy 7, 9, 10 for the story. I even enjoy 8's story just find the gameplay part boring x.o guess you can say I like war stories. Awakening did a terrible job with story and it sure didn't make me want to but dlc. Just hoping they get the story right with the new fire emblem without gimping it with DLC

Also hoping they actually make characters usable in early chapters of lunatic instead of just having the Jeigan kill 90% of the map. Yes make him mandatory to use, but not for 90% of the map's potenial exp

Last edited:

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
I don't like where Fire Emblem is going at this rate. If this fire emblem disappoints me I'll probably be done with any new fire emblems on their release.

I really enjoy 7, 9, 10 for the story. I even enjoy 8's story just find the gameplay part boring x.o guess you can say I like war stories. Awakening did a terrible job with story and it sure didn't make me want to but dlc. Just hoping they get the story right with the new fire emblem without gimping it with DLC

Also hoping they actually make characters usable in early chapters of lunatic instead of just having the Jeigan kill 90% of the map. Yes make him mandatory to use, but not for 90% of the map's potenial exp
I agree with you about 8, for me the story was forgettable. I loved 7 and I think it's the best of the 2, but I did like 8's Class system better.

Have yet to play 9 but I did play 10, great game.

I believe it was Shadow Dragon being 11 (remake) and I already forgot what it was about but I had fun playing it as well.

Awakening is up there as my favorite FE and dare I say, tied with 7. I am looking forward to the new one, day 1 buy, as I did with Awakening. I just love this genre of the series, just to unwind and have fun. The story could be forgettable like 8 (to me) and still be worth it.

I'm a bit skeptical of the DLC, but I might end up getting it anyways (I didn't get any DLC aside from week 1 DLC on Awakening).

The only thing I didn't like about Awakening was probably the lack of fighting a giant dragon like I was use to seeing but I guess it could be rather easy to predict it would happen, so I'm glad they ended it the way they did.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So I watched GameXplain video and from what I heard, I'm pretty excited for the game. Mainly cause it seems the two paths are actually catering to two different audiences, Nohr for FE veterans and Hoshino for the casuals. I'm probably gonna 70% play Nohr and the other 30% will be to see the Hoshino sister story.

Hype:

Little sisters on both sides!
Nohr route!
Enemy pair ups

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
About the marketing and release plan for Japan, if the same thing happens in other regions, I'm just going to wait for the special edition (or full version) of the game. IS pulling a Pokémon on us doesn't work when you're essentially taking two halves of one full game and putting a price tag on the other two paths of the story. At least with Pokémon, the games are similar enough with having minor differences, so it makes sense for that series.

Thus far, it looks like the West won't follow this plan, considering this news wasn't released here when it was detailed for Japan around the same time as the new trailer was revealed for the Direct.

Also, assuming romantic S Support is coming back, I guess at least for Kamui, you have about 4 characters cut off from marriage for the Hoshido path. Dunno if that's gonna make anyone disgruntled.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
For my part I hope they don't bring the marriage system back - instead of the waifu heaven simulator I prefer much more singular pairings (ex. Boyd and Mist, Geoffrey and Elincia or the few we've got in FE7).

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Or Ike and Soren? :awesome:

TBH, I would be kind of downed if they removed marriage altogether. I like to have an emotional attachment to a particular character. Even if it's fluffy like how Awakening handled it (personally not hoping for that in FE14, but I'll take it over nothing.)

I think what made Awakening's presentation of marriage more odious was how a vocal contingent of the fanbase handled the romantic component. Some people make it up to be an oggling waifu harem game where your ideal partner is decided by the funniest quirks, their T&A package, or if they can breed übermensh with Galeforce and at least one nuke-y stat.

You know what I would like to see? A game that features romantic supports with the challenge of relationship maintenance. Say there's some sort of intimacy scale between two characters that they can build up overtime through fighting together in battle, support conversations, etc. Eventually, the characters grow romantic feelings for each other (or one over the other, maybe) and they gain a very optimized set of stat bonuses and other special skills for it.

Assuming both units remain alive, they have to continue to support each other and will endure problems between each other. The player can gauge their interactions through out-of-combat events and/or conversations, where they can either make things better or worse for themselves depending on their performance. If the player keeps screwing up hard overtime, then the characters may break up or even resent each other for the rest of the game (which also comes with handy stat decreases when near each other!)

Basically, being motivated for and promoting healthy relationships whilst being tied into gameplay! Also, a system like this would be great to see all the depths of the numerous characters. Just imagine all the feels and d'awww moments that would be generated from this. :love:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I want S-rank supports, but not all of them to be marriages. Like in Sacred Stones, Joshua and Gerik could reach the highest support level, and they wouldn't get married, but they worked alongside each other and stuff. Or how Eirika and Tana remained friends. But other characters could get married like Serene and Gilliam...I hope the support system is like that.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just make it paired endings instead of marriage? Unless there is a mechanic to marrying someone to be your spouse as you rule, I don't think it has to be marriage the moment you hit S rank

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That realization after thinking the only US FE thing I'm missing is Sacred Stones complete in box and now knowing I never managed to find or get a hold of the Fire Emblem amiibos... This kinda sucks. Each amiibo is almost close to the price of Sacred Stones. lol

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hurr hurr hurr hurr, you tell 'em! Such manbabies for blowing their money on those action dolls, amirite!? :joyful:

No matter how you slice it, video games, movies, books, etc. are all materialistic forms of entertainment. Just because you don't like NFCs won't absolve you from being any more "wasteful" than the rest of us are.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hurr hurr hurr hurr, you tell 'em! Such manbabies for blowing their money on those action dolls, amirite!? :joyful:

No matter how you slice it, video games, movies, books, etc. are all materialistic forms of entertainment. Just because you don't like NFCs won't absolve you from being any more "wasteful" than the rest of us are.
Touche I give you that. I'm still on the fence on grabbing one or two myself but IDK if I wanna deal with amiibo hunt chaos.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The amiibo rarity actually stopped me from buying some. I wanted to just have ones for my mains or from certain games I like, but I'm not hardcore enough to go out of my way to get a hold of some. I ended up only getting Shulk because I somehow got a preorder in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So apparently IS did an interview with 4Gamer about FE:If.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/287/G028791/20150427113/

It's in Japanese, but people on SF have translated parts of it.

The gist of it is:
-Nohr will feature more varied objectives, including "seizing a location, breaking through enemy lines, defending your base and maps with turn restrictions."
-The path split thing came from a desire to turn the Samson/Arran choice in FE1 to the extreme.
-When you buy the downloaded version, you get the first 6 chapters. After that you can download whichever campaign you pick for free.
-The 3rd path is a halfway point between the difficulties of Nohr and Hoshido.
-You can adjust the difficulty mid-game.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
What? I'm sure casuals would love varied objectives too. Even though defend chapters to them are just "you have X amount of turns to get as much exp you can!"

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hm... I was hoping the 3rd path to be the hardest path to be honest. Or maybe it's only halfway because it could involve Nohr's varied objectives with the option of being able to grind? Guess we won't know for sure for awhile.

With that said, I hope Hoshido still has some variety. I don't want it to be another, beat the general/enemies.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What? I'm sure casuals would love varied objectives too. Even though defend chapters to them are just "you have X amount of turns to get as much exp you can!"
Except in Thracia...or at least, except for Chapter 14.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I should probably finish Thracia. I think I'm right before Chapter 14. Whatever gaiden chapter that's a small map and just bringing NPCs to the destination with spawning enemies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I should probably finish Thracia. I think I'm right before Chapter 14. Whatever gaiden chapter that's a small map and just bringing NPCs to the destination with spawning enemies.
That sounds like 14x to me...which would be after 14.

Maybe you're remembering wrong? IDK.

Top Bottom