• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: Awakening Mafia | GAME OVER: Not Equal To The Challenge

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
@Colonel Stars

Would you be willing to stay paired up with me for the rest of the game, prior to either one of our deaths?

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
I am not sure I agree that no one in this game is dumb enough to kill out of panic.

There isn't, everyone here is reasonably intelligent.

Your second paragraph is scary to me, and tips you a bit towards a scum read in my book. You basically endorsed an anti-town approach, and you ADMIT it's not pro-town, AND you suggested that less discussion time is better for scum and worse for town, when the opposite is almost ALWAYS true. Scum already know who's town. Town NEEDS lots of interactions between players to gather info and make reads. Ending a Day quicker than we have to for the sake of ONE person's read is pro-scum. Flat out.

I said in certain situations it is, which it is. If for instance kantrip read as obv scum, i'd probably just shoot him because of my read on him, especially if it's like the last BiM. If scum is glaring, isn't it my right to help town in that situation ? If i'm right, doesn't that absolve the evil of taking the chance ? Essentially if the gamble pays off, I don't see your issue with it. Even assuming my weapon breaks, technically I've done the best I can with it, right ?

I'm not saying we can't get info and all that man, you misunderstood my point, I'm saying we can't always just sit around to do it, at some point, someone has to take an action and watch the reactions. Reactions are always more telling than posts imo.

Our proposal of a likely lynch of the quick shooter next Day is one that would only work if players agreed on it. We believe that players should be terrified of panic shooting because it will mean they may hit town AND die, rather than just die. If we agreed that a panic shooter gets lynched next Day then we have effectively told that person die toDay or nextDay. A random shot is bad for town, and good for scum, so you've dug your own grave. Panic shooting when under pressure is doubly scummy, as it seems to be a scum's last chance at taking town with them. I actually expect this tactic will be used by scum once and maybe twice in this game, depending on weapon availability.

Xatres and I spent half the weekend analyzing the game setup and, having never played this style of game before, had to imagine pro-town and pro-scum tactics in this new setup and come up with a way to maintain order when chaotic shooting is so clearly pro-scum.

If someone knows off-hand how many of this sort of game have been played back here, when, and what the results were, it would be awesome for us to study. We'll put our time in to learn it. In particular, I'm curious about game balance, and if people left the game feeling satisfied that both sides had equal chances from D1.
Not many would agree though ._..

They shouldn't do it any way though, I don't know why you think people will panic shoot just because they are in danger, that'd just be dumb.

IDk how many games but we won the last one (town) in part to me shooting kantrip from the hip and ryu shooting soup from the hip so...GG quickfiring lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ah of course, I'd forgotten about that.

Who can use what weapons is determined by the person's class and the type of the weapon.

As an example, the guy in my avatar, Inigo, is a Mercenary by default, and Mercenaries use swords. Were Inigo to kill someone and receive a weapon that's not a sword, he would have to trade it to a class that CAN use it.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Hey guys! I will be responding as I read, so there may be a non-linear thought process as I read through.
If anyone kills anyone without forewarning and a good reason, I for one am going to be very annoyed.

Vote: Ryker

arrivederci
Will that person be viewed as scum in your books?
Good is relative though, I think it'd be good not to deal with hydra shenanigans, so I feel entitled to shoot from the hip, I've given them enough of a warning that it shouldn't be a issue, so I shouldn't ever have to now.

Define "a good reason", by your standards kary.

We can't sit around waitign for things to happen, that happened to some extent in Gs3 and it took much longer to kill obvscum Kantrip then it should have (mostly my fault, i should have shot him on gut instinct start of 2nd day), what to you defines good ? And do you really think a majority is the best way to handle the kills, or was that you telling ryker you've got an eye on him ?
I like this exchange from both sides. I see where Rake is coming from with threatening to kill hydras who can't keep their heads straight, but if he actually made such a kill I would feel differently. He'd definitely be held accountable for the shot and the hydra thing alone would not justify it. That said, just talking about doing it is townie for the good discussion. At the same time, I like Kary coming in with the partly-playful post poking fun about how he said "good reason." Overall a very townie and natural interaction from both of them. Town lean on both.
And not that that's a bad idea, but the fact of the matter is that. with player's like me, ryu , zen, and to some extent kantrip around, you have to aknowledge that our attitude is going to run much closer to shoot first ask questions later.
I want it to be known that I am not going to be using this policy, and I do expect kills to be well-informed and thought-out. Any kills on gut feels will put my FoS on the player who took the shot. There's a balance between "shoot first, ask questions later" and making an informed decision. I want it to be clear that if you want to take a shot, go for it! Just know that you should be ready to take full responsibility for a failed shot and recognize that if your reasoning isn't sound enough I won't have a problem seeing you go next.
Agreed with ya!.
Same question I posed to Kary, please.
Wow, this moved into serious discussion more quickly than I thought. We figured there'd be more random FoS out the gate.

I suppose we should move right into reaching a town agreement on how we want this game to be run. Please consider the following:

::: Xastrn's GUIDELINES FOR HARMONIOUS TOWN LIVING :::

1) All kills must be made with the consensus of town.
---> Just because there is no official voting mechanic, doesn't mean that daykills should take place without town's consent. The standard rules of Mafia apply. We need honest conversation and firm reads before the end of every Day. Only after a majority of town players has agreed that a kill is valid will any kill take place.

2) All kills must be performed by a hammerer selected by town.
---> As with any other mafia game, avoiding quicklynches is essential. For this reason, no player will initiate a kill without first being selected by town to do so. Only when town has agreed on who should die on a given Day will the Hammerer initiate his attack. This is to prevent scum from waiting for enough town pressure on a player to make a quicklynch, then play it off the next day as the "will of the town."

3) No Han Soloing.
---> Do not, under any circumstance, panic and shoot someone when you are about to be killed by town. Regardless of how sure you are of your scumpick, this behavior CANNOT BE TOLERATED. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to hit a townie in this situation. Town will have no choice but to kill you the next day. EVEN IF you manage hit scum with your panicked shot, you will still sow confusion in town, because everyone will WIFOM without end on whether you simply bussed a scummate or not. Ultimately, you will still die. BREAKING THIS RULE WILL ALWAYS END BADLY FOR TOWN AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED.

Ultimately, these rules are designed to remove the possibility of "accidental" deaths and prevent the scum from running gambits.

Town needs to agree to these rules right now before the Day continues.
This is the other side of the spectrum that we need to balance with Rake's "shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy. I think something between these two levels is ideal. We don't want to turn town into a fascist government, limiting everyone from taking any individual action, but we also don't want to be too lax so that scum can get away with walking all over our minimalistic policies. Holding everyone accountable for everything they do and asking that they at least give full warning before they pull any huge moves is a must. Giving us all time as a collective town to discuss something before it happens is also a must. Asking that no one ever be allowed to make individual plays? That's taking it too far, in my opinion.
EBWOP:

As i understand it, all normal weapons break after one use, so we should have scummy people do the shooting. Hopefully that would mean less chance of mafia having weapons to use.
I like this approach and have a stronger town read on Kary. Really good reasoning and thinking through the mechanics of the game, good stuff.
Also, Partnering with someone ensures that they cannot kill you, or at least directly, if we're counting the ability to switch. I don't know if you people have figured that out yet.
This is an interesting point. Even if they Switch with you they can't kill you because then they are a Support player and have used their action. They can Switch and put you in the line of fire and tell someone else to shoot you, but pairing with someone makes you quite safe from them. Thanks for this, soup.
What pressure? Is it hard to seem town when you're town?

And let's say you get a read on them from your private comms. How is anyone else supposed to trust your read when they can't say what it's based on?

Pairing up with anyone means no-one can kill you. That's a part of why it's suspicious.

If you were worried about someone killing you, then yes you would be safer hiding behind them than anyone else, but that assumes that there's only one person who wants you dead.
I am actually planning on pairing up with Sokr to get a read on him (I'm confident I can get a definitive read in one Day phase of private communication with him) and I hope for him to try to read me as well. People don't have to trust me on the read alone, and I'm not going to be able to shoot him if I don't like what I see, but I can paraphrase our private communications and explain what I'm seeing and why it makes him town/scum. The idea of pairing up with someone you can read well is beneficial for sure.
I think Rake's town for now. I like Kary's intiative to question things. I don't like Xastrn treating us like we're idiots and thinking we're going to just bend to his will. I want to see what Ryker does with Raziek.
I agree with soup's reads, but I want to add to the Xastrn one. I feel like what he was saying was really... almost obvious? Like it's just sticking to a form, but I'm forgetting the word I'm looking for right now. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say? I get called out on it sometimes when my scumhunting looks really forced and is using standard tells instead of going into thought-process. Anyways, my point is that I don't like Xastrn either.

FoS: Xastrn

There's more to it than you obviously contradicting yourself?
Soup did contradict himself but it wasn't a slip and it wasn't scummy. I got what he was trying to say and he just kind of took two approaches to responding to Kary, which caused Kary to see that as a scummy contradiction. I see this interaction as very TvT. I've been in a lot of TvT arguments with soup that have started out really damn similar to this, and I'm calling it as I see it right now. My townread Kary caught a contradiction from soup, but it was just an accident in his approach to answering rather than a scumslip.

So far:

I like Kary
I am okay with soup and Rake
I dislike Xastrn

Kantrip

Kantplay
I think you're being rather short-sighted to not see the benefits of doing so. Soup and I have pointed out numerous benefits of it already.

Not all of them are explicitly Pro-Town, but I thoroughly disagree with your argument that simply pairing up for survival purposes is scummy. It's decidedly null, context notwithstanding.
Raziek do you think Kary is coming out of that interaction looking scummy? What do you think of how Kary answered your questions?
And also Kary I actually was going to propose to soup that we pair up once I got vandy's approval. soup and I have hydrad a half dozen times and know how we think behind the scenes. I imagine it's the same for Ryker and Raz. This gives me more to read him on and him for me.
All three of the posts Colonel Stars made here are posts I agreed with. I like the idea of soup/Zen, Raz/Ryker, and me/sokr (and whomever else knows each other well) pairing up and getting some 1 on 1 time to develop solid reads. I think that will end up very beneficial for us. I'm hesitant to call Colonel Stars town for mechanic talk alone, but it's worth noting I like what he has to say.
@Rake: We select a hammerer because weapons have limited uses.

If we pick someone scummy to make the kill, there is less chance they will be able to quickshoot later on, as it will be announced if their weapon broke or not.

Similarly, we want to make sure the Townies who are surviving into LyLo still HAVE a weapon. We don't want to get caught in a situation where the live Townies cannot kill the scum. We can alleviate this both by conserving the weapons of those who are considered to be Town, as well as by using the trading mechanic.
This however is still a good idea. Townie points to Raz for questioning Kary after the Kary vs soup, and imaginary townie points for speaking mechanics wisdom.
I think I figured out the word I was looking for before, and that is mechanical.

Xastrn has a very mechanical approach to this game and I don't like it. I really don't like that he has a FoS on Rake for being honest that he'll take a more active approach in shooting his scumreads. This is honesty I expect and appreciate from Rake, and something that players that don't know him should still be able to understand as a good thing. However, since he's disagreeing with Xastrn's communist regime, he gets a FoS.

My opinion on the rules are that they are not going to happen. I want discussion before shots, and I like the idea of getting someone to hammer, but we are not going to be able to stop people from doing what they want, and we shouldn't have to. That kind of accountability is what helps us read players.
Things with this is that they also pick up the weapons. So we'd just be putting weapons into scum hands, limiting our ability to trade, etc.
I actually forgot about this. Killers pick up their victims weapons, so forcing people to hammer doesn't do anything to help us, as they'll just gain a new weapon. I unfortunately have to take away Raz's imaginary townie points and give more to Zen. I still like Raz questioning Kary after KaryvsSoup though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh the weird mechanics are BIM-like.

Kary did you get anything for your Soup chat? Or what does it lead you to think of the possible and why?

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
I appreciate the comments about our proposed structure being too rigid. We are both quite analytical thinkers and tend to like things in boxes, so establishing rules in a game that doesn't have the ones we expected (didn't realize the shenanigans until after the game had been posted) felt important to us in our pre-gaming. I don't think town would do poorly if we all agreed to these rules, and that was the point of posting them, but it sounds like there is a lot of disagreement and people feel it is too imposing. I'd like to hear one comment from each player who hasn't commented on this proposition. Who hasn't posted about it yet?

Xatres will be back on soon enough and we'll chat and you'll probably get a post from him soon.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek do you think Kary is coming out of that interaction looking scummy? What do you think of how Kary answered your questions?
Not... really. Only a tiny bit. To me it comes off as hesitance to get involved in the mechanics specific to this game, and Kary would rather just do things the ol' fashioned way. There's nothing wrong with that, but mechanics should still be considered.

However, as I mentioned prior, I think the way he was addressing Soup about it rubs me the wrong way. It's a very slight scumlean. Pretty much null at the end of the day.

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
@Circus

Will you give frequent updates listing who has paired with/under whom?
Also, are you providing quickchats for paired players or should they form one themselves?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Not... really. Only a tiny bit. To me it comes off as hesitance to get involved in the mechanics specific to this game, and Kary would rather just do things the ol' fashioned way. There's nothing wrong with that, but mechanics should still be considered.

However, as I mentioned prior, I think the way he was addressing Soup about it rubs me the wrong way. It's a very slight scumlean. Pretty much null at the end of the day.
Been a while.

What do you make if the jumps at a Ryker?

#HBC | ѕoup

I don't understand how you town-read Kary, Potato. I think Kary backed out of his claims against me and tried latching on about an aforementioned contradiction even though I didn't even do so at all. I think he was pushing an issue that didn't need to be pushed, and I don't like the fact he was acting coy to all the other ideas I presented to try and reason with him. Raziek basically has the same read I do with him currently.

#HBC | ѕoup

Hey. People. What did I say about claiming information in-thread? Looking at you two, Ryu and Rake. This game is full-flip for a reason so I'm pretty certain you don't need to say anything. Furthermore, why are you so willing to claim such things? What benefit to it have for town as a whole?

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Xatres here. Dastrn and I haven't had a chance to talk through reads, so I'm going to post some general responses for now.

As far as our proposed ruleset goes, it's not that much different than how a town is run in a regular game of mafia. Not so much communism as democratic rule, which is kind of what Day phases are designed around to begin with. The danger I see with this setup is that townies will be more tempted to look after only their own interests, rather than the interests of town as a whole. Having an established set of rules for town prevents people from playing cowboy and fuzzing up reads and allowing scum to hide in the confusion.

I'd say our best bet is to at least agree on some kind of ruleset for town to follow, preferably one that minimizes potential scum gambits as much as possible. It doesn't HAVE to be our rules, we just happen to think those will be most effective.

I did take a chance to look at the results of previous BIM games played here, and it seems to split pretty evenly between town and scum. Without a closer look I couldn't say what tactics/decisions/players were the most influential in those outcomes, but it at least shows that it's not an impossible setup for town to win.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hey. People. What did I say about claiming information in-thread? Looking at you two, Ryu and Rake. This game is full-flip for a reason so I'm pretty certain you don't need to say anything. Furthermore, why are you so willing to claim such things? What benefit to it have for town as a whole?
I already claimed so too late for that.

It benefits what I wanna talk to Rake about.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Kary and Dabuz jumped at Ryker from what I remember, I found Kary's to be more odd given later posts.
Dabuz did not jump at Ryker. He agreed with Kary on the notion of being pissed a quickvotes, as I read it.

Kary's read to be little more than RvS/kneejerk reaction to Ryker doing silly things at me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Dabuz did not jump at Ryker. He agreed with Kary on the notion of being pissed a quickvotes, as I read it.

Kary's read to be little more than RvS/kneejerk reaction to Ryker doing silly things at me.
I suppose it is early in this stage then.

Who would you shoot at this stage if you absolutely had to and why?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
@Circus

Will you give frequent updates listing who has paired with/under whom?
Also, are you providing quickchats for paired players or should they form one themselves?
I'll be trying to post updates on all public actions taken as frequently as possible. There are usually large chunks of each Day that I'm not online, but I would expect to see at least one update a day. More when I'm able.

I'm providing quickchats. In some cases, this means conversations won't open up as quickly as I'd like them to (soup/Stars was waiting for several hours, for example), but I feel it's better for the integrity of the game if I stay in control of this function.

Speaking of all of this....

FullMetalLynch replaces Anomandaris_Rake

Current Roster:
Kary
Raziek supported by: BRB Not Posting
Red Ryu
dabuz
pawndidater2
Xastrn
soup
Colonel Stars supported by soup
Sokr supported by Potassium
FullMetalLynch

Actions Taken:
BRB Not Posting Pairs Up with Raziek at 5:23am EST, 10/27/13
soup Pairs Up with Colonel Stars at 11:39am EST, 10/27/13
Potassium Pairs Up with Sokr at 8:30pm EST, 10/27/13

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Also, kary, if your jealous we can pair up for a while <3
where did this even come from I don't even.

Vote: Rake

same answer as dabuz. Like I said, i do not want it to happen.

Soup did contradict himself but it wasn't a slip and it wasn't scummy. I got what he was trying to say and he just kind of took two approaches to responding to Kary, which caused Kary to see that as a scummy contradiction.
I don't find the contradiction to be scummy. It's pretty typical soup.

Kary did you get anything for your Soup chat? Or what does it lead you to think of the possible and why?
I don't think he paired up because he's scum. I'm not worried about him for now.

You're asking me to to shoot on impulse, well got some bad news for you...
I'm warning you to avoid shooting on impulse. I don't think we're going to have any problems.

I don't understand how you town-read Kary, Potato. I think Kary backed out of his claims against me and tried latching on about an aforementioned contradiction even though I didn't even do so at all. I think he was pushing an issue that didn't need to be pushed, and I don't like the fact he was acting coy to all the other ideas I presented to try and reason with him. Raziek basically has the same read I do with him currently.
I haven't backed out of anything. I still don't like you pairing up, I still don't think it's pro-town. You asked me to give it a goddamn rest, and since we clearly have a difference of opinion, I decided not to push it any further.

I'd say our best bet is to at least agree on some kind of ruleset for town to follow, preferably one that minimizes potential scum gambits as much as possible. It doesn't HAVE to be our rules, we just happen to think those will be most effective.
As much as I like your set of rules, it is very very difficult to get everyone to agree to anything in a game like this, and in my view it's just not worth trying. I'm just letting you know in he hope that you don't get hung up on it.

Kary and Dabuz jumped at Ryker from what I remember, I found Kary's to be more odd given later posts.
RVS vote. Although there's no support for voting, it seems, and Ryker actually is MIA.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
wow I don't even.

EBWOP:

Also, kary, if your jealous we can pair up for a while <3
where did this even come from I don't even.

Vote: Rake

same answer as dabuz. Like I said, i do not want it to happen.
Soup did contradict himself but it wasn't a slip and it wasn't scummy. I got what he was trying to say and he just kind of took two approaches to responding to Kary, which caused Kary to see that as a scummy contradiction.
I don't find the contradiction to be scummy. It's pretty typical soup.

I don't think he paired up because he's scum. I'm not worried about him for now.

You're asking me to to shoot on impulse, well got some bad news for you...
I'm warning you to avoid shooting on impulse. I don't think we're going to have any problems.

I haven't backed out of anything. I still don't like you pairing up, I still don't think it's pro-town. You asked me to give it a goddamn rest, and since we clearly have a difference of opinion, I decided not to push it any further.

As much as I like your set of rules, it is very very difficult to get everyone to agree to anything in a game like this, and in my view it's just not worth trying. I'm just letting you know in he hope that you don't get hung up on it.

RVS vote. Although there's no support for voting, it seems, and Ryker actually is MIA.[/quote]

Xastrn

Dastrn|Xatres
Who is pawndidator2? Not in original list, and hasn't posted yet. I don't remember seeing him/her added as a replacement either.

Is BRB Not Posting Ryker's hydra? Who's the other head?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Gova is the other head, and Ryker can't find the password for the account because he's an irresponsible ****.

He's working on it.

@Ruy: If I had to shoot someone right now it would be an inactive. I'm not nearly confident enough in my Kary read to shoot him.

@Kary: Why the Rake vote?

FullMetalLynch

anomandaris_rake|orboknown
Ah that sucks, I got the role I roll all the time.

Wanna talk about this game?
Yeah kinda, i feel pretty sure of myself townwise man, recent games and all have made my reading power top notch and i feel in fine form.

Role is ****ty arguably but i think i can get lucky.

Who do you wanna look at all close like, i gotta say that the ryker hydra bothers me just because E&A happened, soup is always a dice throw, zen is zen. I think that xernats hydra or w/e fosing me is actually good, like as scum, even though he has experience, he could push harder, but it's like: hey yo. I'm not actually sure what he doesn't like though, like, he said it wasn't pro town but he didnt say why it was scummy so i dont really gusta the differentiation he left there,

FullMetalLynch

Gova is the other head, and Ryker can't find the password for the account because he's an irresponsible ****.

He's working on it.

@Ruy: If I had to shoot someone right now it would be an inactive. I'm not nearly confident enough in my Kary read to shoot him.

@Kary: Why the Rake vote?

Reaction test or he secretly wants me to take him in the back room

FullMetalLynch

You two are literally the worst for doing this ****.
If imma be executed again I wanna at least play the game my way lol.

Plus it helps me read ryu.

you like xastrn y/n ?

him not answering my question telling y/n ?

FullMetalLynch

We haven't said anything though we're just ******** and semi crumbing, what's wrong with that ?

Plus i get to watch people react to it.

Win win for me.

Why ? why not ?, what we've said so far is in no way telling or revealing, me saying crappy role just tells scum i'm frustrated town. oh boy, such advantage gained.

Not even going to touch how barely anything i ever post benefits anything or anyone besides my own insanity lol.

Soup, you said you kinda maybe liked my quick fire attitude, assume you could kill one slot, without fail, who and why ?

FullMetalLynch

I like soup.

I like ryu because death bear.

Raz is canadian so he's probably cool.

kary never does sexy things for me anymore.

Sokr needs to post or die.

Kantrip: u town ?

Top Bottom