• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Zelda Discussion - What's In, what's out?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SanSebastian said:
I don't see why it would be inappropriate to see a cut character made into an AT.
Would it be appropriate if, in the next Soul Calibur, Nightmare is just a stage decoration?

But hey, Soul Calibur's different than Smash Bros., so I guess it really doesn't matter all that much.

_the_sandman said:
Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are all we need. Three characters from the same franchise is actually a lot cosidering most have one.

If he's going on a Twilight craze here, he's going to keep everything in a Twilight style. That means no WW Link people.

Seriously, we only need ONE Link on the roster. Do you really want to divide him up and make him a worse character like he was in Melee? Take the three and be happy with it, three is enough.
Lots of other franchises only have one because those franchises are either really, really obscure (EarthBound, Kid Icarus), or just lack more than one iconic character (F-ZERO, Kid Icarus). Zelda's both very very iconic and recognizable, and it happens to have alot of iconic characters, so it definitely deserves at least 5 (the Melee standard), but it seems more fitting to give every franchise some additions, so I think 6 is the bare minimum. We already have Link, Zelda and Ganon, plus Sheik, now what two other characters can we fit in there?

We say WW Link because of the precedent set by Melee: one, normal Link and a smaller version with some slight variations. This doesn't mean I'd like to see him included: if it'[s either WW Link or anyone else on the list, I'd move for the latter.

But really, 3? You want to see 2 less characters from a franchise?

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Woah... 6? Thats a really REALLY hefty amount for one franchise.

I mean, Mario only has 4 right now. And I doubt any more will be added into his team. If anyone surpasses Mario in franchise amounts, something terrible has gone wrong. No single franchise should be able to pass up the Mario team.

And don't give me that Yoshi, DK, and Wario crap and how they're with Mario. They're on their own franchise now.

Besides Sakurai said hes removing characters, probably all of the "clones". Why would you want two mediocre Links when you could have one good one?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
_the_sandman said:
If anyone surpasses Mario in franchise amounts, something terrible has gone wrong.
Melee: Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, Young Link.

1+1+1+1+1=5. 5 Characters. In the previous game. You're actually saying you want a lesser number in the sequel? The sequel with close to double the amount of total characters?

And as far as Mario having 4 goes, I submit this: who else is there? There really aren't too many other Mario characters who even come close to Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach's level. Maybe Toad...well, there ya' go: Mario can have Toad, and Zelda can have Midna. 5 and 6.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
It'd be great if that was the final list (except ixnay on the Olfway Inklay), but I'd rather see Skull Kid or Tingle get in rather than WW Link.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
^^^
It'd be great if that was the final list (except ixnay on the Olfway Inklay), but I'd rather see Skull Kid or Tingle get in rather than WW Link.
As much as I despise the idea of WW Link, I'd rather have him in over Tingle.. -_-

Skull Kid is an interesting idea, but I can't see it happening since TP seems to be the main focus of this game.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
Okay, two things.

One: that is a man's signature.

Two: Tingle for Brawl.

Three: There are some pretty good arguments for Skull Kid though....

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
What do you mean by number 1? (I apologize, I can be stupid sometimes.)

I haven't really seen any good movesets for Tingle but that's for another topic.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Andrew14j said:
What do you mean by number 1? (I apologize, I can be stupid sometimes.)

I haven't really seen any good movesets for Tingle but that's for another topic.
By number 1, I mean that signature is flat-out awesome. It floats my boat--it tickles my fancy--it rocks my socks.

As for Tingle movesets: NONSENSE

We can "discuss" anything in this thread, as long as it is "loosely" based around Zelda in some way, shape or form.

Por ejemplo:

<expletive deleted> Zelda.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Tingle has his own games now. So wouldn't he be considered his own series like Wario and Yoshi?

Anyways, my ideal Zelda roster. They are not in any particular order.
1. Link - Of course they had to put in the star of the series.
2. Zelda - C'mon, it's the Legend of ZELDA, she had to be in.
3. Ganondorf - Even though I don't like him, he's the villian in most Zelda games.
4. Midna - Main character in TP, plenty of personality, and another female rep for the series.
5. Zant - Unique with moveset potential. Main villian of TP. Brawl needs more villians too.
6. WW Link - Different than his counterpart in both moves and personality, also provides some Wind Waker support. Smash has a way of making different styles fit.

As for the Sheik factor, I'm really unsure what they're going to do with her.

But seriously, leaving the Zelda series with just THREE reps--that's crazy talk! They had 5 in Melee, so 6 for the minimum I say. And if possible they could even go to 7 or 8. Depends if the creators of Smash want to.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Whisk said:
Wait, Tingle has his own games now. So wouldn't he be considered his own series like Wario and Yoshi?
Technically, yes. But people didn't really consider Wario to be a 'not' Mario character until Made in Wario was created, and even though Yoshi had a game named after him on the NES, it wasn't until Yoshi's Story until he started his solo act (although I still don't know why people say that: Mario has been in every game that Yoshi's been in).

I don't think Tingle is his own franchise yet, for a few reasons:

1. He only has one game.
2. That one game isn't a global release (yet).
3. That game is about as hardcore niche as you can get.
4. Even in that one game, he's sill in the land of Zelda: Hyrule.

Whisk said:
5. Zant - Unique with moveset potential. Main villian of TP. Brawl needs more villians too.
Vaati's not only pretty similar to Zant, but he's more important chronologically, and he represents some other games that Zant can't: the Four Swords and Minish Cap.

Besides, you don't need two "TP-only" characters.

P.S. Just so everyone knows, we can talk about anything on this thread, so long as it's related to Zelda, no matter how little. For example:

This one day, my good pal Bob was walking to his local Seven-Eleven (I like to write out the entire number, rather than just writing out "7-11"...it just seems more formal, y'know?) to get himself a slushie, because to be totally, brutally honest...it was REALLY hot out that day. I mean like, seriously, above 50 degrees CELSIUS, which, if I'm not totally mistaken, is latin for like, "really **** hot". I know this because, unlike the unedjamacated swine we call "the masses", I went to college and took a whole two years out to learn one of, if not the, most ancient and noble language known to man: latinese. Now, latinese originated way back when in the first Ice Age. A caveman was walking around his hut 'slash' shanty (although really it was more of a 'hovel'), and he just up and decided that he'd start talking words instead of guttural moans and howls. So he started working on latinese, and eighteen-thousand years later, Leonardo Miyamoto decided to build a time-machine, in the spirit of invention started by that very same caveman (L. M. spoke fluent latinese, by the way). So he did, using only the materials afforded to him by the richest nation on Earth: Japanada, which is to say: wood (Well, technically he did have some help from an incredibly well-timed supernova, which, in case you're wondering, is a stellar explosion that creates an extremely luminous object. A supernova usually causes a brief burst of radiation which may briefly outshine its entire host galaxy before fading from view over several weeks or months. During this relatively brief period of time, the supernova radiates as much energy as the Sun would emit over about 10 billion years. The explosion expels much or all of a star's material at a velocity of up to a tenth the speed of light, driving a shock wave into the surrounding interstellar gas. This shock wave sweeps up an expanding shell of gas and dust called a supernova remnant. There are several types of supernovae [<---the plural form] and at least two possible routes to their formation. A massive star may cease to generate energy from the nuclear fusion of atoms in its core, and collapse under the force of its own gravity to form a neutron star or black hole. Alternatively, a white dwarf star may accumulate material from a companion star (either through accretion or a collision) until it nears the "Chandrasekhar" limit of roughly 1.44 times the mass of the Sun, at which point it undergoes runaway nuclear fusion in its interior, completely disrupting the star. This second type of supernova is distinct from a surface thermonuclear explosion on a white dwarf, which is called a nova. Solitary stars with a mass below approximately 8 solar masses, such as the Sun itself, evolve into white dwarfs without ever becoming supernovae). You see, all Japanadians are made of wood, which, while quite convenient if you need to build a fire (assuming you don't mind some third-degree homicide charges, that is! Ah-ha-ha-ha!!), but not so much so if you need to wage war or feed your population. But the Japanadians got by alright, using an intricate network of woodpeckers, specially trained to relay messages via Morse Code, invented by one Ernest P. Morse, a retired NAVYman and ex-SEAL operative, who dabbled in calligraphy on the side. He reportedly got the idea from listening to cats have sex, which to be totally, brutally honest, I have never heard, nor have I ever met anyone who has. What I have heard, however, is considered by many to be the most annoying sound ever to be heard by anything. Ever. What sound in it? The sound you are hearing right now. It's really freakin' annoying, isn't it? Man you're tellin' me--the guy who lives with it every day of his life. You see, my youngest brother (I come from a family of 42) was recently diagnosed with brain AIDs, and he's basically a lost cause. Problem is: we got nowhere to keep his decaying body (Say, that reminds me of another amusing anecdote: this guy comes up to me in the street [we were literally buried in concrete at the time, y'see] and he tells me that he hasn't had a bite in three days. Well, I knew what he meant but just to be funny, I took a big bite out of his jugular vein, and so he starts rolling around on the floor, bleeding and screaming all over the place, and so I says, I says: "hey man, don't you get it?" But he just keeps screaming and bleeding all over the place, you know just really making a scene out of nothing, and like, just totally missing the irony of the whole situation. Some people just can't take a joke, you know?). So as a temporary fix, we've taken to stuffing him in a backpack, and we all take turns toting him around, safely out of sight (and mind, natch). My mother doesn't much like this, but it's just as well, because she also doesn't like Coca-Cola. Now I know what you're thinkin': "But Coke an' Pepsi are the same thing! I took one of those "no-label blindfold" taste tests, you know, the ones where they blindfold you and then give you two unmarked glasses, one with Coke and one with Pepsi, then you drink both of them and try to identify one as Coke and the other as Pepsi, and I could NOT tell the difference!" And that's all well and good for you, but how do you think my poor, sick, deranged mother feels about it, you heartless punk!? Darn it all, get outta' my face you hair-brained lunatic! If I wanted any lip from you I'd've asked for it, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, you just had to go and poke fun at my mother's lack of tastebuds, which is ironic since she herself is a giant tastebud, but I digress--YOU SIR, ARE A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING, AND SHOULD GO SUBMIT YOURSELF TO THE NEAREST MENTAL INSTITUTION A.S.A.P. Either that... or go play some Zelda or something.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
Technically, yes. But people didn't really consider Wario to be a 'not' Mario character until Made in Wario was created, and even though Yoshi had a game named after him on the NES, it wasn't until Yoshi's Story until he started his solo act (although I still don't know why people say that: Mario has been in every game that Yoshi's been in).

1. He only has one game.

Vaati's not only pretty similar to Zant, but he's more important chronologically, and he represents some other games that Zant can't: the Four Swords and Minish Cap.

Yeah, I would have said Vaati, but I think he might be a little past his prime like Skull Kid is, unless he appears in Phantom Hourglass. When it comes to Brawl, they seem to be going with the Twilight Princess theme, though probably with a little Windwaker mixed in too, I could be wrong. Still I wouldn't doubt either of their chances. Zant is the main villian of the most recent game, and Vaati's the most reccuring villian aside from Ganondorf. It would be nice to see them both get in but it's really up to what Sakurai and the Smash staff decides.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace

Anyways, my ideal Zelda roster. They are not in any particular order.
1. Link - Of course they had to put in the star of the series.
2. Zelda - C'mon, it's the Legend of ZELDA, she had to be in.
3. Ganondorf - Even though I don't like him, he's the villian in most Zelda games.
4. Midna - Main character in TP, plenty of personality, and another female rep for the series.
6. WW Link - Different than his counterpart in both moves and personality, also provides some Wind Waker support. Smash has a way of making different styles fit.

As for the Sheik factor, I'm really unsure what they're going to do with her.

But seriously, leaving the Zelda series with just THREE reps--that's crazy talk! They had 5 in Melee, so 6 for the minimum I say. And if possible they could even go to 7 or 8. Depends if the creators of Smash want to.
you don't like the G-man? inconceivable!

i think three reps for zelda would be fine. all 3 are larger than life (excuse the cliché) characters. ideally i'd like to see WW link, but he is not essential in my OP.

zant and midna though? ATs would be a great way for them to be in the game, anything more is unnecessary for these characters.

Whisk

Smash Apprentice
you don't like the G-man? inconceivable!

i think three reps for zelda would be fine. all 3 are larger than life (excuse the cliché) characters. ideally i'd like to see WW link, but he is not essential in my OP.

zant and midna though? ATs would be a great way for them to be in the game, anything more is unnecessary for these characters.
...and I suppose Mario should get three reps as well? Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest series and has been around for a long time. Just having three characters wouldn't be very fair and it'd be a -2 decrease from what they had in Melee. So why not add WW Link to take Young Link's place in the roster. Midna for another female rep (star of TP too) and Zant for one of the more crazy/humorous villians, and they both can be given unique movesets too. But just three characters is madness.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
if ww link is in in brawl i suspect vaati to be in either as a pc or at.only because vaati has only appeared in cel shaded link games(eg minish cap)vaati for me wouldnt be that bad but i prefer skull kid as a pc only because he has more of a personality.

also if we get skull kid we may get a young link who can change into the different masks from mm with onui link being final smash(possible)

D

Deleted member

1. He only has one game.

P.S. Just so everyone knows, we can talk about anything on this thread, so long as it's related to Zelda, no matter how little. For example:

This one day, my good pal Bob was walking to his local Seven-Eleven (I like to write out the entire number, rather than just writing out "7-11"...it just seems more formal, y'know?) to get himself a slushie, because to be totally, brutally honest...it was REALLY hot out that day. I mean like, seriously, above 50 degrees CELSIUS, which, if I'm not totally mistaken, is latin for like, "really **** hot". I know this because, unlike the unedjamacated swine we call "the masses", I went to college and took a whole two years out to learn one of, if not the, most ancient and noble language known to man: latinese. Now, latinese originated way back when in the first Ice Age. A caveman was walking around his hut 'slash' shanty (although really it was more of a 'hovel'), and he just up and decided that he'd start talking words instead of guttural moans and howls. So he started working on latinese, and eighteen-thousand years later, Leonardo Miyamoto decided to build a time-machine, in the spirit of invention started by that very same caveman (L. M. spoke fluent latinese, by the way). So he did, using only the materials afforded to him by the richest nation on Earth: Japanada, which is to say: wood (Well, technically he did have some help from an incredibly well-timed supernova, which, in case you're wondering, is a stellar explosion that creates an extremely luminous object. A supernova usually causes a brief burst of radiation which may briefly outshine its entire host galaxy before fading from view over several weeks or months. During this relatively brief period of time, the supernova radiates as much energy as the Sun would emit over about 10 billion years. The explosion expels much or all of a star's material at a velocity of up to a tenth the speed of light, driving a shock wave into the surrounding interstellar gas. This shock wave sweeps up an expanding shell of gas and dust called a supernova remnant. There are several types of supernovae [<---the plural form] and at least two possible routes to their formation. A massive star may cease to generate energy from the nuclear fusion of atoms in its core, and collapse under the force of its own gravity to form a neutron star or black hole. Alternatively, a white dwarf star may accumulate material from a companion star (either through accretion or a collision) until it nears the "Chandrasekhar" limit of roughly 1.44 times the mass of the Sun, at which point it undergoes runaway nuclear fusion in its interior, completely disrupting the star. This second type of supernova is distinct from a surface thermonuclear explosion on a white dwarf, which is called a nova. Solitary stars with a mass below approximately 8 solar masses, such as the Sun itself, evolve into white dwarfs without ever becoming supernovae). You see, all Japanadians are made of wood, which, while quite convenient if you need to build a fire (assuming you don't mind some third-degree homicide charges, that is! Ah-ha-ha-ha!!), but not so much so if you need to wage war or feed your population. But the Japanadians got by alright, using an intricate network of woodpeckers, specially trained to relay messages via Morse Code, invented by one Ernest P. Morse, a retired NAVYman and ex-SEAL operative, who dabbled in calligraphy on the side. He reportedly got the idea from listening to cats have sex, which to be totally, brutally honest, I have never heard, nor have I ever met anyone who has. What I have heard, however, is considered by many to be the most annoying sound ever to be heard by anything. Ever. What sound in it? The sound you are hearing right now. It's really freakin' annoying, isn't it? Man you're tellin' me--the guy who lives with it every day of his life. You see, my youngest brother (I come from a family of 42) was recently diagnosed with brain AIDs, and he's basically a lost cause. Problem is: we got nowhere to keep his decaying body (Say, that reminds me of another amusing anecdote: this guy comes up to me in the street [we were literally buried in concrete at the time, y'see] and he tells me that he hasn't had a bite in three days. Well, I knew what he meant but just to be funny, I took a big bite out of his jugular vein, and so he starts rolling around on the floor, bleeding and screaming all over the place, and so I says, I says: "hey man, don't you get it?" But he just keeps screaming and bleeding all over the place, you know just really making a scene out of nothing, and like, just totally missing the irony of the whole situation. Some people just can't take a joke, you know?). So as a temporary fix, we've taken to stuffing him in a backpack, and we all take turns toting him around, safely out of sight (and mind, natch). My mother doesn't much like this, but it's just as well, because she also doesn't like Coca-Cola. Now I know what you're thinkin': "But Coke an' Pepsi are the same thing! I took one of those "no-label blindfold" taste tests, you know, the ones where they blindfold you and then give you two unmarked glasses, one with Coke and one with Pepsi, then you drink both of them and try to identify one as Coke and the other as Pepsi, and I could NOT tell the difference!" And that's all well and good for you, but how do you think my poor, sick, deranged mother feels about it, you heartless punk!? Darn it all, get outta' my face you hair-brained lunatic! If I wanted any lip from you I'd've asked for it, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO, you just had to go and poke fun at my mother's lack of tastebuds, which is ironic since she herself is a giant tastebud, but I digress--YOU SIR, ARE A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING, AND SHOULD GO SUBMIT YOURSELF TO THE NEAREST MENTAL INSTITUTION A.S.A.P. Either that... or go play some Zelda or something.
Wow. That's either the best parody wall of text written, or I feel for you.

Er, I agree about the TP characters. 3D Zeldas get complete monotomy, it isn't even funny (*grumble grumble*).

Vaati was cool. I really liked his character, and I hope he's in Brawl in some form, although he isn't my main Zelda support.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
...and I suppose Mario should get three reps as well? Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest series and has been around for a long time. Just having three characters wouldn't be very fair and it'd be a -2 decrease from what they had in Melee. So why not add WW Link to take Young Link's place in the roster. Midna for another female rep (star of TP too) and Zant for one of the more crazy/humorous villians, and they both can be given unique movesets too. But just three characters is madness.
i dont see the problem. the 3 characters in question are, IMO better than any and all the mario characters (im a zelda fanboy, so you mario crazies wont sway me with your arguments). but as a fanboy, i still would not, by any means, be disappointed to see only those 3 in. as i said before, i wouldnt mind seeing ww link in, cos he represents a different branch of the franchise now, but i would be upset to see zant and midna in. i loved TP and theyre great characters, but they dont embody the franchise as a whole for me, and they certainly aren't necessary for the zelda experience.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
1. Link
2. Zelda
3. Ganondorf
4. Wolf Link and Midna
5. Retro Link
6. Fierce Deity Link
7. Deku Link
8. Goron Link
9. Zora Link
10. Hero of Wind
11. Bunny Link
12. Link the Adventurer

Okay, no... really, just the first five. Though I'm not so fussed about Wolf Link, as long as Midna shows up. Retro Link would be so much cooler than WW Link.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Whisk said:
Yeah, I would have said Vaati, but I think he might be a little past his prime like Skull Kid is, unless he appears in Phantom Hourglass. When it comes to Brawl, they seem to be going with the Twilight Princess theme, though probably with a little Windwaker mixed in too, I could be wrong. Still I wouldn't doubt either of their chances. Zant is the main villian of the most recent game, and Vaati's the most reccuring villian aside from Ganondorf. It would be nice to see them both get in but it's really up to what Sakurai and the Smash staff decides.
How can you say Vaati is past his prime, and then go and say that we should get a WW character (Vaati's major games, FSA and MC, are both post-WW releases)?

And yeah, the theme so far with Zelda characters is indeed TP, but remember that the only characters we've seen are recurring players: Link and Zelda. It's a no-brainer that they'd appear in their most-recent forms, but that's no exscuse to just ignore all the other Zeldas, and Sakurai simply won't do that. In any case, we're definitely not going to see Link, Zelda, Ganon, Midna and Zant. There'll be some WW/MC/FSA/MM/etc. Zelda character(s) included too.

WindGuru said:
Wow. That's either the best parody wall of text written, or I feel for you.
It might've taken awhile, but in the end...I think I proved my point.

WindGuru said:
Er, I agree about the TP characters. 3D Zeldas get complete monotomy, it isn't even funny (*grumble grumble*).
Both kinds can get monotonous. Hopefully the first real, 'made-for-Wii' Zelda and Phantom Hourglass will change that.

WindGuru said:
...although he isn't my main Zelda support.
[SARCASM]Really!? Then who is!?[/SARCASM]

Vagrant Lustoid said:
1. Link
2. Zelda
3. Ganondorf
4. Wolf Link and Midna
Okay. So far so good.
5. Retro Link
Uh. Like, "Legend of Zelda" Link? I say 'nay'...at least, not until I see Jumpman included in some way/shape/form.
6. Fierce Deity Link
7. Deku Link
8. Goron Link
9. Zora Link
Just roll these four into one "Young Link" character. His special moves would consist of putting on and taking off the three normal masks (and the spin attack, naturally), then his FS could be FDL.
10. Hero of Wind
A.K.A. Windwaker Link...right?
11. Bunny Link
You...you mean Link wearing the Bunny Hood, correct? Well...the Bunny Hood's already an item (and a pretty **** cool item at that), so...OH WAIT--you mean "Bunny Link" from ALttP? Like, when you first enter the Dark World?

...Tricky.
12. Link the Adventurer
Okay now you've lost me.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I don't care about how low his chances are.

If Zelda gets any other characters besides the big three, I will pray nightly to see the words "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING! FIERCE DEITY LINK!"

Oh and Wolf Link. (not with Midna, just the wolf himself :) )

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
[Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Wolf Link & Midna]
Okay. So far so good.
Well, those are the pretty obvious choices, so hey. They are good, yeah.

Uh. Like, "Legend of Zelda" Link? I say 'nay'...at least, not until I see Jumpman included in some way/shape/form.
I would really like to see a Link who uses items and moves from the pre-64 days. LoZ, TAoL, ALttP and LA. Hang on, here's a moveset I created for him, just for laughs. Retro Link.

[On Deku, Goron, Zora and Fierce Deity Link]
Just roll these four into one "Young Link" character. His special moves would consist of putting on and taking off the three normal masks (and the spin attack, naturally), then his FS could be FDL.
I think if any of those were to become a character, itd be FD Link, mostly cause I'd love to see a strong, heavy, slow Link. But yeah, I'm pretty sure only way they'd appear is with a MM Link, which I very much doubt. In any case, there's a moveset I wrote for FD Link here. Yes, I do get bored. Actually, a little off topic, but any thoughts you have on FD and Retro Link movesets appreciated, since you make really good movesets.

[Hero of the Wind]
A.K.A. Windwaker Link...right?
Yeah I do. I remain convinced that he has enough different items and whatnot to be rather different to the Young Link of Melee past.

You...you mean Link wearing the Bunny Hood, correct? Well...the Bunny Hood's already an item (and a pretty **** cool item at that), so...OH WAIT--you mean "Bunny Link" from ALttP? Like, when you first enter the Dark World?

...Tricky.
Exactly. I'm sure you've probably realized, but after the first five I just started pointing out the different possible forms you COULD create as Link characters. Not the ones you would. Though... ****. I'm suddenly imagining a Four Swords Link character which is actually four of him. Like some uber-acid trip-Ice Climber deal. Impossible, but fun for me to imagine.

[Link the Adventurer]
Okay now you've lost me.
It's the term I use for Link in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. He'd be able to be a completely different character, considering how he's rather spell-based.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Vagrant Lustoid said:
Actually, a little off topic, but any thoughts you have on FD and Retro Link movesets appreciated, since you make really good movesets.
Marketing 101=if something looks pretty, people will look at it. Although I do have some amount of pride in the actual contents of the movesets I make...

Anyway. I've dabbled with other 2-D characters in Smash before, and there's really not that much of a difference between 2-D and 3-D characters, since all you're really changing is the image; the number of dimensions has no effect on gameplay or design. Really, the reason it's onyl been done once (Mr. G&W) is because it's not all that appealing to most people.

Both of those movesets are fine, although I've never been a big fan of FDL in any capacity, and like I said, I prefer 2-D Mario to 2-D Link. Those nasty timing issues are still haunting you though...

Vagrant Lustoid said:
Yeah I do. I remain convinced that he has enough different items and whatnot to be rather different to the Young Link of Melee past.
Sure. But as SWF users have proved time and time again, anyone or anything from Nintendo history can be given a fun, unique moveset. So that's not the issue here (with WW Link).

The problem is that we already have one Link, and now that the opportunity exists to diversify the Zelda-in-Smash cast (Y. Link, being a clone, wasn't the number one pick for that spot by the developers of Melee), I'd much rather see Midna...or Vaati...or Tingle...than another Link. Really, Ninty has some pretty awesome characters not only in the Zelda series, but in all the franchises represented by Smash Bros. It'd be a shame to pass over characters like the ones listed above in favor of a variation of an already-included one.

Vagrant Lustoid said:
It's the term I use for Link in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. He'd be able to be a completely different character, considering how he's rather spell-based.
Yeah, but nobody likes Zelda 2.

As it turns out, most of...okay, all of my friends did NOT know that the "Hyrule Temple" stage in Melee is derived from Zelda 2, and when I told them of this...well, we've now made Great Bay our stage of choice.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'll admit, I actually don't want any other Links than Wolf Link (and only if with Midna). These others are just some fun to while the hours away. I'll admit that I haven't played enough Zelda games to want any characters in particular other than the top five I already mentioned.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To everybody who's still 100% we're seeing Sheik in Brawl:

Who said that having a Sheik model in Brawl will have her playable? She might aswell be an Assist Throphy togheter with other axed characters as Roy and Dr.Mario. Maybe even the Ice Climbers and Mr.Game & Watch. I'm still expecting a non-Sheik Brawl.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I'll just point out that plenty of people like Zelda 2. It's a quality game. Plus, the fact that a Zelda 2 stage was used for Melee, and that the OoT sages are named after the towns in AoL seems to attest to the fact that Nintendo at least remembers the game.

That being said. An AoL based Link character is... not ever going to happen.

ERROR though. ERROR would be awesome. (Kidding.)

I also am sure that this has been mentioned somewhere before. But we need Pig Ganon to show up in some form (figured I should add the "Pig" since most people refer to the human Ganondorf as Ganon.) Not as his own character. I think a Giga Bowser like Final Smash for Ganon is pretty likely.

~Onslaught~

Smash Cadet
I hope zelda transforms into sheik or zelda and sheik are seperate characters all together

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
*HISS!*

NO SHIEK!

Shiek is an evil demon that sucks all the fun out of casual play with her super speed, powerful attacks and just plain brokenness all around.

I pray that Shiek never sees the playable light of day again!

(Shiek for AT! REVENGE!!!)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Diddy Kong said:
To everybody who's still 100% we're seeing Sheik in Brawl:

Who said that having a Sheik model in Brawl will have her playable? She might aswell be an Assist Throphy togheter with other axed characters as Roy and Dr.Mario. Maybe even the Ice Climbers and Mr.Game & Watch. I'm still expecting a non-Sheik Brawl.
Somehow, I don't think Sheik'll turn out to be an AT. But that's just my gut feeling.

Bendu said:
I'll just point out that plenty of people like Zelda 2. It's a quality game. Plus, the fact that a Zelda 2 stage was used for Melee, and that the OoT sages are named after the towns in AoL seems to attest to the fact that Nintendo at least remembers the game.

That being said. An AoL based Link character is... not ever going to happen.

ERROR though. ERROR would be awesome. (Kidding.)

I also am sure that this has been mentioned somewhere before. But we need Pig Ganon to show up in some form (figured I should add the "Pig" since most people refer to the human Ganondorf as Ganon.) Not as his own character. I think a Giga Bowser like Final Smash for Ganon is pretty likely.
I personally liked Zelda 2, but you must admit that it's definitely the black sheep of the franchise, even moreso than WW (just pretend the CD-i games don't exist...).

If I was directing Brawl, I'd give Ganondorf (the playable character) a trident, and make a new character design specifically for Brawl that took elements from all his other incarnations and mashed them together, with a demon-transformation FS.

He should at least pop us a trophy in that form (with the trident).

Ogre Deity Link said:
Shiek is an evil demon that sucks all the fun out of casual play with her super speed, powerful attacks and just plain brokenness all around.

I pray that Shiek never sees the playable light of day again!
I'd just like to point out that the rule is, "'i' before 'e' except after 'c' and in the word 'sheik'". I found out recently I'd been spelling "wierd" wrong for as long as I can remember.

I do agree with you, although I don't think Sheik's all that bad as you make her/him/it/potato out to be. At least in my circle of friends, there's only two of us (out of like, 9) that are skilled enough to really abuse Sheik's power. And i hardly think the majority of Melee players are as good as those two, not to mention the entirety of the SWF population.

Sheik coming back playable wouldn't be the end of the world, especially if they split her/him/it/potato up apart from Zelda, and balcanced those characters accordingly.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
It's dumb to rule out sheik because of her ability in melee, that was the fault of the developers and i'm certain if she appears again she'll be nerfed.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
xianfeng said:
Skull Kid should be an assist trophy.
Yes, I think so too. I don't see him clearing Midna, Vaati or WW Link and making it as a PC. And besides, calling down a giant moon wouldn't work as a regular move.

Inkslinger said:
It's dumb to rule out sheik because of her ability in melee, that was the fault of the developers and i'm certain if she appears again she'll be nerfed.
What do you mean? Who rules out Sheik?

I do agree with you though; if Sheik does indeed come back playable...she'll/he'll/it'll/potato'll certainly not have the same broken mechanics that she/h/it/potato did in Melee.

Tingle for Brawl.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, but nobody likes Zelda 2.

As it turns out, most of...okay, all of my friends did NOT know that the "Hyrule Temple" stage in Melee is derived from Zelda 2, and when I told them of this...well, we've now made Great Bay our stage of choice.
I do. :( Apparently either no one else has the time to beat such a awsome game, no one realizes it started REAL INTELLIGENT AI, the action-RPG genre, or everyone else is just a ignorant idiot. Zelda II FTW [but the original is better]! :)

Hyrule Temple is a sorta from Zelda II as a rip off of the Great Temple [located high above Hyrule at the top of Spectle Rock, which is at the top of the highest peak of Death Mountain], so ya. It should be called the Great Temple, but meah watever. ;)

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Skull Kid

B=Sound Wave from his horn.
^B=Disapear leaving only leaves and reappear higher
DownB=Summon a puppet that attacks the enemy (max 2)
>B=Dart from his flute

Final Smash: Play his horn and summon lots of puppets tha attack the enemy.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
sheik's awesome they could just tone her down a some forcing the players to use zelda to, also i think wolfk link and minda would be cool along with ww link instead of young link

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
specialsauce said:
sheik's awesome they could just tone her down a some forcing the players to use zelda to
They could implement this newfangled "stamina" system that the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon are restricted by. Like, Zelda's magic can only last for so long...or something.

Johnknight1 said:
I do. Apparently either no one else has the time to beat such a awsome game, no one realizes it started REAL INTELLIGENT AI, the action-RPG genre, or everyone else is just a ignorant idiot. Zelda II FTW [but the original is better]!
Okay, I officially apologize to all the Zelda II lovers out there. I only meant that it's not as popular or recognized as most of the other Zelda games.

For the record, I'm a fan of the game.

Johnknight1 said:
Hyrule Temple is a sorta from Zelda II as a rip off of the Great Temple [located high above Hyrule at the top of Spectle Rock, which is at the top of the highest peak of Death Mountain], so ya. It should be called the Great Temple, but meah watever.
It's made out in Melee to be a sort of mixture of all the different dungeons in Zelda II, which is why it has the same music an all those generic pillars.

D

Deleted member

I do. :( Apparently either no one else has the time to beat such a awsome game, no one realizes it started REAL INTELLIGENT AI, the action-RPG genre, or everyone else is just a ignorant idiot. Zelda II FTW [but the original is better]! :)
Join the club. Most of the world sadly believes that there are only five zelda games.

*shakes head*

Top Bottom