• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smashes: Meter or Item?

rockon4life93

Smash Rookie
I think that making it a meter would be too much of a change. Why change what's already a well done item? Changing it up would confuse players.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I think that making it a meter would be too much of a change. Why change what's already a well done item? Changing it up would confuse players.
Yeah, I'm not too keen on the idea of a meter either. It's too similar to what's already present in traditional fighting games, and an option to turn it off just seems... unnatural.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
probably should change to a meter feature thats actually hard to build up.

Sometimes in Brawl the final smashes would just show up again and agian right after eachother and it would just ruin the fight.

So yeah, meter feature, or at least prevent it from spawning so much.

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
Who would it confuse? Hardcore tournament type people don't play with it on anyway and the Smashball has only been in one game so it's not like it would be a major change.

I don't really have a preference on whether it should be a ball or meter. Either is fine. However I do agree with some who said that you should be able to pick it up instead of attacking it (if it's a ball again).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Leave it as an item only. What I think would be neat are Smash Balls that are meant for a certain player. For example, imagine a match pitting Mario against Link. Link pulls off some combat sequence that rewards him with a Link-themed Smash Ball. It would still hover around the stage like the current Smash Ball but break much quicker if Link hits it instead of Mario. That way;

- The fun of chasing after a Smash Ball remains intact.
- The new Smash Ball's variable durability rewards the right players provided that they make an effort to chase after it.
- Even though it'll be harder to break, there is still an incentive for other players to go after the Smash Ball.
- And if Final Smashes are still an unbalanced mess, the Smash Ball remains an item that can be turned off.
Personally, I don't find much fun in chasing the Smash Ball. It takes away the focus between fighting players. Of course, I'm not the biggest fan of items in general when it comes to having a "serious" fight. The thing about the meter is that it requires more resource management and opens up a lot of offensive and defensive strategies. A Smash ball just doesn't do that for someone like me that enjoys fighting strategy and the long term satisfaction that comes with it.

Confuse? I'm not sure if you think most players are stupid and/or cannot handle change.

grizby2

Smash Lord
personally, id prefer NO Final smashes of any kind, BUT, i don't think final smashes are going away any time soon, so if there has to be final smashes, i would prefer the smash ball over a meter.

final smashes were fun to begin with, but now'a days, the only time i see final smashes being used in any match are in matches that are not serious at all.

the major issue i have with final smashes is that im afraid it would alter the actual balance of the new cast of characters we'll get. in other words, i wouldn't want one character's final smash to make up for its own move set.
"his moves suck, but his final smash is great" ... well, what if final smashes are off?
that would be... bad :urg:

and having THREE FS's? that would be more work on the developers shoulders. (besides, some characters dont have any more than 1 finisher-esque moves ya know?:scared:)

anyway, i also think meters would be copyng Sony Plastation All-Stars Battle Royale, seeing how thats what that game relies on to eliminate other players.
i think if they just changed the mechanics of the smash ball (and also keeping it as a togglable option in items), final smashes would still be fine.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
@ Kuma

But competitive Smash is already complex enough without super meter management; you have to manage your stocks, your shield, your jumps, your percentage, the opponent's percentage... A 50% difference between two players completely changes the dynamics of a match in terms of approach, spacing and combos. If anything, it's a borderline miracle that Smash manages to remain tourney viable despite all of its underlying mechanics and platform-based gameplay.

There's also the issue of balancing meter gain for every character, which will eat up development resources that could be used to further polish the game's core mechanics instead. Besides, I feel that putting so much effort towards a balanced meter gain system will ultimately be a waste of time because...

In the end, we'll almost certainly end up turning it off for competitive play anyway. Final Smashes were designed as broken and flashy moves meant to impress your buddies in a friendly match where everyone's a winner after sharing a hearty laugh (as per Sakurai). Toning them down so that they're balanced and usable in competitive play would make them less fun to use for the majority of the player base that doesn't know or care about tournament Smash.

And since Final Smashes are inherently meant to be broken moves aimed at casual play, I think they're better left as a simple item that can easily be turned off.

anivernage

Smash Apprentice
anyway, i also think meters would be copyng Sony Plastation All-Stars Battle Royale, seeing how thats what that game relies on to eliminate other players.
i think if they just changed the mechanics of the smash ball (and also keeping it as a togglable option in items), final smashes would still be fine.

Nope would be copying Marvel Vs Capcom <.<

Btw im with the item, so for the people who hates the smash ball, can turn off.

Or if Possibly they get meters they need to add a turn off like as an item.

But i love FS's they were a nice addition to brawl, they need to return imo.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Nope would be copying Marvel Vs Capcom
Super meters in fighting games actually came from ST, where the idea was taken from a whole bunch of games from different genres. Regardless, supers are way beyond the point of anybody "owning" them and are pretty much a universal fighting game mechanic now.

@thread title and every post in this thread:

Also, Nintendo needs to make different levels of super meters and a mode where only supers kill just to troll Sony for making another blatant Nintendo rip-off.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I really like the dynamic of Smash's % system. I don't like the idea of building a meter to unleash a special attack that in effect lessens the impact % has on a match.

You may like having a meter in other fighting games and that may be part of your argument here, but given Smash's differences it's a rather poor point of reference. Fighting game elitist talk is certainly not relevant either. If anything it demonstrates a lack of understanding that this game works on a different set of rules, many of which conflict with typical fighting game systems.

Top Bottom