• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data FINAL: Confirmed 1.1.0 Patch Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJDOH

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3866-8495-8989
Were you playing against BJ?
Yeah, I forgot about the thread until rn, so I went in practice and tried it. 14. Remembered that when it was 16 it was on BJ, just testing it again. What the hell is going on? Bowser Jr vs Sonic best matchup confirmed? Lol

Edit : Had a theory, decided to test it out. Does bowser jr have diferent damage boxes? if i make contact with his car I do 12. With the kid it's 16.
same with Nair, 13 if kid, 10 if car.
Either that or something is wrong with my sm4sh lmao
I'm impressed if that was intentional, though. Just shows how deep the mechanics of this game are.

Last edited:

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Yes, Bowser Jr takes slightly less damage if hit on the car but more if hit on himself, and i think they game mentions it too.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
F smash still kills 30 percent earlier than it did in brawl.

Down smash still kills 30-70 percent earlier than it did in brawl. With a better knockback angle and a faster hitbox

Back throw still kills 40 percent earlier than it did in brawl.

Up air still kills 20-30 percent earlier than it did in brawl

Nair is still a kill move now, unlike having to hit with it halfway offstage at 140.

Up smash STILL, EVEN NOW KILLS NINETY PERCENT EARLIER THAN IT DID IN BRAWL WTF.

This whole 'oh its just like brawl sonic all over again' thing needs to stop. I think playing this incredibly overpowered chacracter for the last year or so as made you guys forget exactly how bad sonic was in brawl. That character was terrible and we are still incredibly lucky that hes this much better than he was before. The nerfs are minor. Deal with it. Its not that serious

AJDOH

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3866-8495-8989
Yes, Bowser Jr takes slightly less damage if hit on the car but more if hit on himself, and i think they game mentions it too.
Nice... Don't think I've ever come across that tip. But I see it kind of unfair, to be honest. Considering alot of approaches are aerial based in this game, that just gives BJ an unnecessary disadvantage. Yeah, its usually 1~2%, and I know clown car hits take some off, but seriously. XD

Doesn't change the fact that the logic is pretty awesome though. I think you should be able to break the clown car and force BJ to fight with his hammer for 5 seconds or something like Rosalina lmaoo

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just to clarify, I said that before we knew much about Fox's changes to his Jab aside from how it was used before being completely invalidated. Additionally, I have super slow internet so I didn't even play the patch until later that night, I assumed people were being genuine when they said all Jab follow ups were gone (which later turned out to be incorrect).

Second of all, jab combo'd into Usmash before regardless of where it hit. Fox's new jab requires you to hit with the tip of his first jab to do any sort of follow up, and it doesn't combo into Usmash very reliably and only really works at strict percentages.
That's why I don't post or even really enjoy reading anything from anyone who doesn't back their claims.

I don't have internet and I'm currently sitting in a cafe to use theirs... My Wii U still isn't updated. I'm just going off video and data evidence.

Regardless of that Fox nerf, it's still effective, just not as easy as before. Plus, there was a buff in return. That's very reasonable balancing.

Not to say that Sonic's 4% nerf to Fsmash is unreasonable, but my point is moreso that it really makes little sense whereas Fox needed that jab abuse patched, and he got something in return for it and still doesn't completely lose options out of jab. Overall a pretty solid outcome I think.

Also, I personally can't stand fighting Sonic but I still feel bad for your community when you guys keep getting nerfed because you guys aren't the OP ones. At least this time it's nothing major, but you are right in addressing that it's the principle not the nerf itself. Either way, I hope you guys aren't touched in the future because Sonic is fine right now.
I'm still trying to comprehend how little was done about Sheik, Luigi getting a massive UpB buff and why Rosalina hasn't been touched. It doesn't make much sense when Sonic receives a direct nerf.
Well, that's our point.

There are characters I hate playing against as Sonic... But that doesn't mean I think they require stupid nerfs to fit my needs.

I completely disagree with how hard they nerfed Diddy, and am very upset with how characters like Sheik, Rosa, Luigi, etc. basically go untouched or even buffed... While Sonic is painted to be some broken character when he really isn't. He's annoying and he's viable, but he has very clear drawbacks that the vast majority of people like to ignore for some reason. If he was really as good as people say he is, you'd see a lot more top players utilizing him or Sonics placing higher.
I appreciate your enthusiasm towards your character though. Like you, I main Fox for Fox, and no matter his changes I will still main him.
I hope I don't come off as bashing you or Fox, but I don't think Fox's balance changes are comparable to Sonic's.
Manny is flat out a better Sonic player than Joe. As for 6WX, I talked to him earlier this week and he practiced Ryu more than Sonic before EVO, which is unfortunate as Ryu wasn't legal at EVO. 6WX is still an exceptional Sonic player regardless of the nerfs.
Regardless of Manny or Joe, 6WX was pretty much the dominant Sonic player, moreso than Manny. Despite the fact that 6WX may have been labbing other characters in conjuction with these patch timings, it still shows that 6WX's playstyle is being hurt in the process when he's placing that much lower at majors and Manny is outperforming.
I just stopped by because my post got quoted here and I ended up reading the whole thing.

The amount of whining in this thread is unreal un-****ing-believable.

Let me start by saying, I do not hate Sonic. I have learnt to deal with him to a point where I am satisfied with the MU. I even find him fun to fight at times. Yes, I'm sure I'd still get trashed by a top campy Sonic like Manny, but I've never played one. So I am not speaking from "salt" in that respect.

Also, I don't wish to alienate the lot of you with this post, I really don't. Sorry in advance to anyone who gets offended! But after reading some of the comments here I just have to speak up.

Sonic is a top tier character. He was barely touched. Over time, he has had several small nerfs + tweaks, just like Sheik and other characters of his caliber like Rosalina.
I appreciate the way you're going about this, but I don't believe Sonic is in the same caliber as Sheik and Rosalina... Maybe back in the B T H R O W B O Y S days, but Japan is delusional or straight up bad if they really think Sonic is top 3 in this game.

However, I do get your main point. I hope I'm not being misinterpreted (can't speak for others) but Sonic is still a high tier character, but I think Orochi and Espy convey the point pretty well too.
Nah, not in his position. While Sonic clearly has positive MUs against the majority of the cast, he definitely struggles against ALL of the top tiers and a handful high tiers.

This results in Sonic being hated by the majority of players while not really being able to battle to the top as much as the other top tiers.

Haters gonna hate. It's pretty much because it is Sonic and this is a Nintendo game. That's just how it is and I can't be bothered trying to talk sense into that kind of people anymore.
I definitely agree with bc, but there's a small lot of us that started with Sonic in Brawl. We may not be new Greninja, but seeing him slowly creep inch by inch closer to his Brawl status is frustrating.

None of us vets want to really go back to that.

I'm not whining or anything, I'll deal, but it's just really annoying in a game where people like DK and Rosa can ko people at sub 70%, and everyone is too busy ******** about a move that loses to grabs and clanks with jabs.:applejack:
Basically, all this.
Diddy was better than Sonic admittedly, but he got hit WAY harder by two patches in a row.

Greninja was never better than Sonic, he was never even a top 5 1v1 character, and he got trashed by a patch to the point of being unviable. It's taken 8 months for the devs to realise that he needs good Shurikens to compete.

So when I see this behaviour from Sonic mains, I kind of look on in disbelief. Sonic's kill power has been hit a couple of times. So what. It has not stopped him competing (the Bthrow nerf was way more significant than the Fsmash nerf). It will not stop him from competing. Unlike Diddy and Greninja, his core gameplan has not changed. Sonic is still a viable character. Why are you complaining that Sonic may not be "as top tier as before"? Are you serious? As long as your character is viable, what right does anyone really have to complain on this scale?

Nerfs suck. I get it. Trust me, as a Greninja main I get that better than ANYONE, including Diddy mains. But you are all too fixated on Sonic getting "repeatedly nerfed". I know that in itself is annoying, but his balance changes have constantly been small, and they are not out of keeping with other characters of his strength. Other characters close to his strength have even been nerfed SO much harder. Sonic is not the main problem character of this game, I agree, but he isn't getting nerfed as if he is. He has not had the Diddy treatment.
Yes, and that's why I was speaking on principle.

I'm not saying Sonic is the only character to have gone through this, but he's been a very large target for nerfs in addition to Diddy, which makes little sense considering the position other characters hold.

Sonic hasn't just taken KO tweaks... The Mewtwo patch also nerfed his Spins quite heavily. Damage was reduced on all of them and Aerial Spin Charge is no longer multi-hit. So, we build damage slower and kill slower... Sounding more like Diddy nerfs.

Meanwhile, Rosa is a thing who can kill with Uair at the earliest of percents.

I hate repeating myself and risk sounding whiny, but I am trying to defend a point that I stand by.

It's true that I may have let personal things, lack of internet access, and frustration with people in these threads get to me when I made my original post, but I still stand by the principle.

I'm also not defending people who are claiming to drop Sonic because of a minor Fsmash nerf. I could care less about that. This nerf alone is not nearly as big as the previous, but is still wildly misplaced.

I doubt the tier placement will change much from this one, but Sonic easily started losing more match-ups after Mewtwo's release. This random hit is unwarranted. That's all.
And I do get what @ Camalange Camalange is saying. They are nerfing the wrong things at this point, they aren't doing anything to fix the real problem which is campy Sonic. Ideally, that strategy would be nerfed and Sonic's kill power would be left alone. I do understand your frustration there. But though it might not be completely for reasons you like, the fact remains, Sonic is more than viable. This level of complaining is still unwarranted.
My point exactly. I'm glad you see where I'm coming from, and again, I apologize if I came off as whining too, as that's not my intention.

I never stated Sonic was not a viable character or that this nerf changes that.

I simply am stressing that if we keep idly accepting these nerfs on this trajectory as being minor... They will keep adding up. I don't know what future patches hold, so it's upsetting to see a dev team clearly having their priorities out of whack.
As for the rest of you, I know you might want to flame me to hell and back. Please bear in mind that I honestly don't wish to aggravate or alienate you. But you need a serious reality check.
I think they have no reason to be upset with you. I certainly am not, and appreciate your feedback. I think we agree somewhat and at least have similar viewpoints on this, so I can respect your post.
Aww , poor Sonic ..

I don't care about any of his nerfs or player hate. I'm going to still main Sonic cause I love that character >.< But I still feel for the competitive players who main Sonic..

Off topic question. But i'd love to be a competitive smasher. Can anyone re-direct me to the appropriate information for Sonic?
Please check our stickies. We have some comprehensive guides, including a moveset breakdown and a FAQ thread which also serves as a Q&A if you have questions along the way.
PM Sonic is stupid.
There should be a rule against bringing up that game in here.:applejack:
Agreed, and agreed.

I'm going to research actually if that's possible. I think in certain situations it could fall under spam if it's off-topic or as trolling if it's advocating one game over another, depending on how posts are worded.

If you want to play PM Sonic, please take it somewhere else. I have nothing to say to you here.
F smash still kills 30 percent earlier than it did in brawl.

Down smash still kills 30-70 percent earlier than it did in brawl. With a better knockback angle and a faster hitbox

Back throw still kills 40 percent earlier than it did in brawl.

Up air still kills 20-30 percent earlier than it did in brawl

Nair is still a kill move now, unlike having to hit with it halfway offstage at 140.

Up smash STILL, EVEN NOW KILLS NINETY PERCENT EARLIER THAN IT DID IN BRAWL WTF.

This whole 'oh its just like brawl sonic all over again' thing needs to stop. I think playing this incredibly overpowered chacracter for the last year or so as made you guys forget exactly how bad sonic was in brawl. That character was terrible and we are still incredibly lucky that hes this much better than he was before. The nerfs are minor. Deal with it. Its not that serious
It's an exaggeration, but you also have to remember that yes, we do kill earlier than in Brawl... But like, so does literally every one else. This is like, Super Jank Bros.

Sonic isn't just one isolated character. This is a new engine. They fixed a lot of what was wrong about Sonic (moves actually work now, I'm looking at you, dash attack) but there are new problems, obstacles, etc. due to the change of engine and meta in a cast of 50+ who are also being tweaked in ways that over time, may keep putting them over Sonic.

I understand your point though. It's not fair to compare it to Brawl as it's obviously not as extreme, but with rage and so many characters having safer KO set-ups and earlier KO power, having our tools taken away certainly starts to feel nostalgic if you catch my drift.

:093:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Project M Sonic is broken as ****. He really didn't deserve those changes. I really like Sonic in this game. His moveset feels honest and good. Project M Sonic was so damn fast, good and had some of the best combos in the entire game. He has insanely good. Almost broken in 2.5. In that game he also got the nerf hammer but not as badly. I really wouldn't like Sonic to be like Project M Sonic. He was really fun but in a broken way. That Sonic Eagle attack was so damn amazing. I would love to have that attack back, but with more lag, lees damage or less spike knockback. Anything to balance the move and make it fair. I think right now everyone hates Sonic in general, not only in smash, but on his fanbase, games and other stuff. Now it's the cool thing to do.

I mean I really loved Sonic when I first touched Sonic Adventure (That was my first video game ever). But maybe he should die in peace and leave his place to other Sega character (Nights, Beat from Jet Set Radio, even Ristar). But I digress. Sonic shouldn't be really hated for his gameplay since they are even worse characters than him (I'm looking at you Rosalina and Sheik).

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I should infract you for literally just ignoring what I said by bringing up PM again and then digressing into irrelevant fandom.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Sorry jeez D: I didn't though it was such a big deal. I though you ment: Please don't bring up Project M so that way the thread doesn't have to deal with that game and focus more on Smash 4. Not: Don't you dare bring up Project M or i'll infract you. I'm really sorry for that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
It's an exaggeration, but you also have to remember that yes, we do kill earlier than in Brawl... But like, so does literally every one else. This is like, Super Jank Bros.

Sonic isn't just one isolated character. This is a new engine. They fixed a lot of what was wrong about Sonic (moves actually work now, I'm looking at you, dash attack) but there are new problems, obstacles, etc. due to the change of engine and meta in a cast of 50+ who are also being tweaked in ways that over time, may keep putting them over Sonic.

I understand your point though. It's not fair to compare it to Brawl as it's obviously not as extreme, but with rage and so many characters having safer KO set-ups and earlier KO power, having our tools taken away certainly starts to feel nostalgic if you catch my drift.

heres the thing though, aside from rosalina and luigiall the characters with the easy kill confirms and higher ko power.... sonoc is still better than them.
Sonic is still better than mew2 who has a throw that kills at 100, sonic is still better than fox, who can combo his entire moveset into up smash at 100. Sonic is still better than ganon, and half pf his moveset kills at 75. Sonic is still better than falcon and his entire moveset kills at 120. Sonic is still debatably better than ness and ness has the strongest throw in the game

Youre telling me to not look at sonic in a vacuum, when literally the only reason youre upset is because youre either only looking at him in comparison to what he had previously, or youre only comparing him to rosalina sheik and luigi.not everyone is going to be as good as rosalina sheik and luigi. Get over it. Hes still in the top 10 to 12 characters so who cares

Stop whining because sonic has some bad matchups against other top tiers. Every character has problem matchups. But if he has problems against the top tiers in brawl and we all felt like we cpuld over come those issues, i dont see what abput that is any different since those hills are a lot smaller now since the character is wayyyyyyyyy better

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
heres the thing though, aside from rosalina and luigiall the characters with the easy kill confirms and higher ko power.... sonoc is still better than them.
Sonic is still better than mew2 who has a throw that kills at 100, sonic is still better than fox, who can combo his entire moveset into up smash at 100. Sonic is still better than ganon, and half pf his moveset kills at 75. Sonic is still better than falcon and his entire moveset kills at 120. Sonic is still debatably better than ness and ness has the strongest throw in the game

Youre telling me to not look at sonic in a vacuum, when literally the only reason youre upset is because youre either only looking at him in comparison to what he had previously, or youre only comparing him to rosalina sheik and luigi.not everyone is going to be as good as rosalina sheik and luigi. Get over it. Hes still in the top 10 to 12 characters so who cares

Stop whining because sonic has some bad matchups against other top tiers. Every character has problem matchups. But if he has problems against the top tiers in brawl and we all felt like we cpuld over come those issues, i dont see what abput that is any different since those hills are a lot smaller now since the character is wayyyyyyyyy better
My point is still being misconstrued...

I don't want to keep saying the same things over and over, but yes, you are correct.

I'm just gonna keep playing 1.9 since I still don't even have the update.

Luig

Confused
I'm still salty about me hard reading a Little Mac's roll, almost fully charging an Fmash, and getting the black lightning.... and then he came back and got me with a ko punch. PJSalt

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I hope I don't come off as bashing you or Fox, but I don't think Fox's balance changes are comparable to Sonic's.
No not at all, I think we just have some miscommunication is all.

I don't believe Fox's changes are in league with Sonic's at all, I didn't mean to imply that with that comment. I was actually just expressing gratitude that there are those people around that love their character as much as I love Fox and balance changes won't cause me to drop him ever (within reason). It makes me happy to hear that you guys are devoted enough that you will continue to play Sonic regardless of his rather relentless nerfs. I don't think Fox's changes are even remotely comparable to Sonic's (this is the first patch we were touched..).

I actually came into the Sonic boards to see if they nerfed him AGAIN. From the first few posts, I was seeing a knockback reduction on Bthrow, Dsmash and Fsmash as the potential changes and felt bad for you guys because of the nerfs you've been getting when, again, you guys aren't the problem when Sheik, Rosa and Luigi exist. I was also under the impression at this point that Fox's jabs didn't lead into anything and didn't know about the other changes to his lasers and Shine, which were tremendously unexpected to be honest.

All in all I think the nerfs to Sonic are unjustified, and if Fox's jab turns out to be less useful (the Foxes are still dissecting its usefulness) than I think that is also unwarranted. However, like I said, I'm holding judgement until we fully understand what we can do with his jabs.

I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone by comparing Fox's changes to Sonic's. My apologies.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

I don't believe Fox's changes are in league with Sonic's at all, I didn't mean to imply that with that comment. I was actually just expressing gratitude that there are those people around that love their character as much as I love Fox and balance changes won't cause me to drop him ever (within reason). It makes me happy to hear that you guys are devoted enough that you will continue to play Sonic regardless of his rather relentless nerfs. I don't think Fox's changes are even remotely comparable to Sonic's (this is the first patch we were touched..).

I actually came into the Sonic boards to see if they nerfed him AGAIN. From the first few posts, I was seeing a knockback reduction on Bthrow, Dsmash and Fsmash as the potential changes and felt bad for you guys because of the nerfs you've been getting when, again, you guys aren't the problem when Sheik, Rosa and Luigi exist. I was also under the impression at this point that Fox's jabs didn't lead into anything and didn't know about the other changes to his lasers and Shine, which were tremendously unexpected to be honest.

All in all I think the nerfs to Sonic are unjustified, and if Fox's jab turns out to be less useful (the Foxes are still dissecting its usefulness) than I think that is also unwarranted. However, like I said, I'm holding judgement until we fully understand what we can do with his jabs.

I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone by comparing Fox's changes to Sonic's. My apologies.
No offense taken.

I haven't researched Fox's jab changes either so I can't say too much.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs

I personally dont think many people took offence and i greatly respect what you've said. I'd say something myself but Camalange has pretty much summed up everything i have to say.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
Are we talking about Fox here? He's way to fast. Sonic must feel embarrassed when fighting another animal that's actually faster than him every single way except running.
Well, I guess SEGA never said Sonic was really fast at anything other than running so... it's OK actually.

Stupid Fox....

theanjo

Smash Rookie
??? IASA changes?
http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/diff/128-to-144/sonic
http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/raw/param-diff-128-144/fighter_param_vl_sonic.bin.txt
WTF?
Well Dantarion made a nice website.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/

I also like how in the game's files spring jump is referred to as gimmickjump.
Those are Sonic's rolls that got changed. Specifically invincibility. Basically that's the universal roll change on the bottom two. I guess his Sidestep got touched too?

EDIT- Oh snap, I didn't know that universal roll nerf included Sidesteps. My bad.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If anything, that just confirms the universal roll changes further then, if there were doubts.

I'm going to unsticky and archive this thread very soon as it seems that anything that could've been proven or disproven has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom