• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

File Sharing as we know it will be destroyed

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Link to original post: [drupal=4963]File Sharing as we know it will be destroyed[/drupal]

Maybe I'm over-reacting, and atm I don't have the source (but will post one if given it ...)

But it looks as though most media sharing websites will be completely gone, getting rid of most of the files on their servers that users have trusted to them, regardless whether or not they were copyright infringing. After the Megaupload conspiracy... It looks like:

MegaUpload - Closed.
- FileServe - Closing does not sell premium.
- FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
- UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..
- FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
- VideoBB - Closed! would disappear soon.
- Uploaded - Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
- FilePost - Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
- Videoz - closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
- 4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
- MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI
-Org torrent - could vanish with everything within 30 days "he is under criminal investigation"
- Network Share mIRC - awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.
- Koshiki - operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- Shienko Box - 100% working china / korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- ShareX BR - group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA

So what does this mean for the smash community ? ? ?

No more sharing of those textures and model files for hacking, no more RSBE elements to easily exist on one fileshare site for everyone (mediafire)...

Just what is going to happen? Is there a discussion somewhere on SWF about this? Are people aware of what's happening?!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
God dammit.. My visual novels... Not my visual novels!!!!!

Don't tell me i have to actually import them from japan ._.;; that is way to expensive >_>

There are so many VNs i'm waiting for english patches for D:

Wait, what about torrents?

Shoot.. I better go on a music hunting spree on mediafire as well...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Or they could just move their servers abroad.

Rapidshare is still around, you know, as much as I dislike it it will do the job just fine.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Yeah of all things, they dont go after pirate bay.

Quick! Go buy an external hard drive and download ALL the things.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455

They can only go after websites with Servers in the US.

As Teran said, they can just drop US servers.

It means slower downloads in the US, but it means they don't get taken over by the government.

God this sounds like an issue I'd be talking about in some North Korean government censorship essay. What has happened in the past like decade to this country.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

That's because they tried and now it is based in Sweden.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I think it's a joke since SOPA is SOUP in Spanish. I, too, have wondered what file sharing will be like in the future. Mediafire is the best and if they are pro FBI, I shall be downloading everything Mediafire is hosting before it's taken down.

Anyways, torrenting isn't illegal. The files that are being torrented are (well, most of them are). What this means to us is that we can use torrenting for our needs (textures, etc). Or you can use a file sharing site that does not have servers in the US.

Smash Lord
Ewwwww. I do not want to screw around with torrents.

That stuff can take a month and a half to complete for really big files, and that doesn't even get into the problem of having no seeds.

What really irks me about all of this is that this stuff is shutting down at the whim of whoever is policing. I'm pretty sure that most of congress as well as the vast majority of law enforcement officials knew that these sites were used for piracy en masse. The government set down a enforcement precedent and now they decided to violate it all the sudden. I just don't understand.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think literally millions of links all across the web simultaneously broke when MegaUpload went down...

And yeah, the most irritating part of this is the sudden and extreme enforcement. SOPA isn't even passed, but suddenly because it's on people's minds they decide to "Censor ALL the things!" at once? It's just irksome. Apparently there wasn't even anything stopping them from doing it the whole time, so I have no idea what took them so long if these sites were infringing on copyrights this whole time with no change. Good to know that apparently enforcing the law at all times is only a mild priority at best.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I think the reason why they took action is because Megaupload was leasing some servers based in the US.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ewwwww. I do not want to screw around with torrents.

That stuff can take a month and a half to complete for really big files, and that doesn't even get into the problem of having no seeds.
Wow either you're with Comcast or the seed/leech ratios on your torrents are terrible.

I downloaded a 100GB torrent in a little less than 6 hours once. :x

etecoon

Smash Hero
still waiting for them to go after CBS/CNET

OH WAIT

that will never happen because the american government selectively enforces laws based on who is paying them, oops

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Wow either you're with Comcast or the seed/leech ratios on your torrents are terrible.

I downloaded a 100GB torrent in a little less than 6 hours once. :x
I would like to know...what did you download at once that was 100 Gigs? Lol.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Something that was entirely legal!!!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
My only gripe is that I will have a bit more trouble watching One piece and other shows online. That's about it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Really? I wouldn't mind doing that. Do you know where I can do that?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
^^^It doesn't have Pokémon so it is inferior.

Oh also I was wondering does nobody use Rapidshare anymore? I know it got the name Rapid**** for a reason but tbqh it was basically just MU with a bigger **** block for non premies.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
^^^It doesn't have Pokémon so it is inferior.

Oh also I was wondering does nobody use Rapidshare anymore? I know it got the name Rapid**** for a reason but tbqh it was basically just MU with a bigger **** block for non premies.
I have already seen Pokemon so if there is other good things I guess it's better than nothing if our other means of seeing anime is CRUSHED :urg:

Top Bottom