• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fight Club 3/17 [Maryland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Hrm

I think this entire thing is a bit silly. Of course they're in it for the money, smashers who are shocked by this are just naive. Even our beloved (at least I love them) C3 and the former CCX were in it for the money. A venue fee is perfectly reasonable, and almost expected. C3 recently beefed up its venue fee, but people didn't really mind. 8 bucks is pretty close to 10. The difference is C3 has proven itself to be a great time and reliable source for fun times. I understand some of you are rather young/unemployed so even entering tourneys let alone paying venue fees is a strain, but it's unavoidable. Theres little point to protesting them, they're not going anywhere.

While C3's tournament organizer is clearly more interested in fighting games like J-tyme, he has proven himself to the smash community time and time again, and has even learned our game. Simply put, Renegade is the ****. J-tyme, who you say is only your business partner, has made it shockingly clear he is only attempting to use the smash community's easy draw of 40+ players every weekend to help pay for part of the venue fee so he can run other games that he enjoys more. Time after time we have been promised, and always let down.

I myself have never attended a j-tyme tournament, the only one I ever planned to was canceled the night before it was supposed to happen. I felt everyone's reasonable complaints about lack of tvs/space/bracket running were reason enough for me not to attend. I've never seen/been to a single other smash tournament in the md/va area with more than minor complaints. I had to travel to the hole of a state called NJ to find a truely bad smash tourney. Based on reading all the threads about your tournaments where j-tyme is loosely or even more than loosely associated you probably think the smash community is terribly picky. That really isn't the case though. All we want is a room with space for tvs and plenty of time to smash. We'll even bring tvs/cubes if you make it clear you'll need them. If you don't want to waste any time on smash, give a respected member of the community free entry or something in order to get someone to run the brackets.

In the end I don't even really care that smash is being used to help pay venue fees, just give us whats promised and a venue fees more than fair. Showing up to a tourney where we're promised 10 Tvs and finding 2 is just bad business (George Mason). If you guys are really in it for the money, make smart business decisions. You say give us a shot, but in my mind we have. I don't care if you're not J-tyme, being his business partner is a pretty big deal. I hope my intuition is incorrect and this tournament has little J-tyme influence and goes smoothly so we have a replacement for CCX in maryland.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
fonz makes me happy inside

edit: no not my pants.

/preemptive block of insults

J-Chance

Smash Rookie
Fonz,

I appreciate your input. Michael "J-TYME" has definitely had some shady moments in his career. I acknowledge that. I know that that is mostly what is the problem here. I assure you that he has little to do with the management in my company. The events I run are nothing if not professional. Further, you can ask Renegade about me. He knows me and he knows Im not a shady person. I will admit that I am not as knowledgeable about Smash as most of you but I want to be. I have even recruited Renegade to help run the brackets. I dont know if he is since he hasnt gotten back to me but I am more than willing to work with someone that is knowledgeable. Fonz, your intuition is right, Michael has little influence here . I make the decisions and I will do what I can to accommodate the Smash Community. I want JC Media to be able to provide you with a suitable replacement/alternative.

Husband

Smash Lord
I got bored reading all of this. I think the best part was when hova spelled it "ghey" because I could so hear his voice in my head and thats how he says it. HAHAHAHA

Is anything going on this weekend for smash? Someone should host something

FOB

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try and make this. EGL was plenty of fun + J Tyme is a cool guy.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I'd post a picture thats perfect for this situation but I might get banned, who thinks its worth it?

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys. First off, although Jinmaster is a part of JCmedia... Jinmaster currently lives in NYC. He will not be at this event.

Damon (JC-Chance) is a good guy and is trying to get these things rolling. I applaud him for that. He has contacted me about coming in and helping out at some of these events.

I haven't decided whether I can come out or not, trips to NOVA always end up costing me a good deal of money, and not something i'm in huge supply of. Moreover, I can see alot of you guys are skeptical, and I certainly would hate to come up for a 15 person smash tourney. But, i would like to see something else get going in the area... especially on the MD side. Might even drag Neo out of his cave some day.

Besides, w/ only c3 still around, you guys need something more than just once a month for an area as rich in talent as MD/VA.

So, give it a shot. If I'm not there to run it myself, I do recommend that whoever runs brackets gets their entry and venue fee paid for, it's only fair. I'll try to make it, and it will be much more likely if some other fighting games look like they'll get decent turnouts (as in more than 10 people)

Side note:
I haven't met the guy who runs WMGC, but judging by the overall disorganized thought process of his post, I'm sure he didn't mean half as bad as what it sounded. And if he's even read the reactions, he'd probably have apologized by now.

Side Side note:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Fonz! I try for you guys, I kinda realized that smash is the main event @ C3 and all of the other games are kinda side tourneys a long time ago... sigh. Although, I did play in the last tourney... I went 0-10, but only got four stocked once! *not by g-reg*

And it is kind of a constant battle about money and profit and such. If you remember correctly, the owner of c3 wanted 10$ a long time ago. I pretty much said that people don't pay unless they know what they're getting, and that's proven to be the case.

Anyway, give Damon a chance here. I'm pretty sure he's aware of how critical the PR problem from Jinmaster is, and should try his hardest to make up for it.

Frozen

Smash Lord
Yeah, so I read over all this nonsense, and I'll be coming...i'll probably be bringing the regular group (EE,Btree,Hat,Cmart/Nurok), but I haven't talked to any of them about it yet.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So where am I to go on my weekend back from Ohio? Anyone? Is this gonna be any good?

With Tio, you don't even need the venue hosts to run brackets, its all run for you.

I don't understand all this talk about Jinmaster. His name carries weight in the FGC maybe but not in the Smash community. Sure, he was top 5 in that EGM article, but guess who was second? A Smasher. Running Smash tournaments is decidely differant than running any other fighting game.

I wen't to C3 back in February. It was an $8 venue fee. There were 94 entrants for singles. You can do the math but he made over $700 just from the Smashers. Keep in mind though this was after he/they had already established themselves with the community. The venue fee use to be (and still should be) $5, at least in my opinion, or a percentage of the pot. I don't mind any place taking 10%, 15%, or even 20% of the pot. Sure, it may be less money than a flat venue fee, but there are other ways to make up the differance, and I know because I've helped run and run many tournaments.

Looking at BOMB4, we had over 100 entrants. It was $20 for singles and $20/team for doubles. We gave 10% of the pot to the church as a donation for letting us use the venue. It was roughly $300 total. In addition to this we sold snacks/soda, which is where we hoped to make some money ourselves. Guess what? We made I think almost $200, and our prices weren't jacked, it was either 50 or 75 cents for a soda, 50 cents for a bag of chips/m&m/skittles/you name it. All you have to do is buy in bulk (which makes a soda cost roughly 13 cents a peice...or was it 7 cents..., and even less for the candy) and you can sell the food at a higher than purchase but less than common retail price.

The big money though was made off pizza. We had the domino's 5/5/5 deal back then, we purchases the pizza, had it delivered, than sold it for $1 a slice. Thats a profit of $3 a pizza (slightly less because of tipping the delivery mangz). Over the course of the day we probably ordered around 20 pizza's, thats $60 cash, easy. Now this tournament happened back in 2005, in a church, run by mostly teenagers, half of whom weren't even 18. And this wasn't even the most profitable Bomb (that would be Bomb 2, thank you formula!), previous bombs were run when we were even younger and even less experianced. Either way, looking at the whole day, if we had taken that 10$ for ourselves, we would have made around $500 or $600, and we weren't even really trying to make money. Food/soda is a requirement at tournaments (and energy drinks are the best buy from what I've seeen, just ask Joe Bushman).

Every Smash tournament these days, if you hope to have success, should have the following:

-Standard (essentially MLG rules with stage variation maybe) rules.
-Pools until top 16/32 depending on the tournament. These pools should be seeded using the rough knowledge of the community. The top 16/32 should then be seeded into a double elimination bracket.
-Use the program Tio, have the person running the program/making the pools be a respected member of the community. Give this person free entry.
-Plenty of setups. For a 30 person tournament 6-8 setups is good. For a 60-100 person tournament 12-20+ are needed.
-Let the members of the community bring their own setups. We will put them on the freaking floor if we have to. The worst thing you can do though is tell us NOT to bring setups, then have the tournament only run using 2-4.
-$20 for singles, $20/team for doubles. $5 venue fee max. I really felt C3 was pushing it with the $8 fee from last time, I know there was a soda/chips included but I just felt like it was a little much. When you get 94 people (over 100 if you include the other fighers) you can just as well make up for that money in selling chips/soda/pizza.
-On a personal note, I prefer to have a percentage of the pot taken, again, anywhere from 10-20% is okay. Then at worst you get maybe 2-4 people *****ing (the winners, but this won't usually happen).

Vist

Smash Champion
Ill be there assuming the gaming center can accommodate for a good turnout

otherwise i'm up for festage or something.. either way I need some ppl to practice with

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
So where am I to go on my weekend back from Ohio? Anyone? Is this gonna be any good?

With Tio, you don't even need the venue hosts to run brackets, its all run for you.

I don't understand all this talk about Jinmaster. His name carries weight in the FGC maybe but not in the Smash community. Sure, he was top 5 in that EGM article, but guess who was second? A Smasher. Running Smash tournaments is decidely differant than running any other fighting game.

I wen't to C3 back in February. It was an $8 venue fee. There were 94 entrants for singles. You can do the math but he made over $700 just from the Smashers. Keep in mind though this was after he/they had already established themselves with the community. The venue fee use to be (and still should be) $5, at least in my opinion, or a percentage of the pot. I don't mind any place taking 10%, 15%, or even 20% of the pot. Sure, it may be less money than a flat venue fee, but there are other ways to make up the differance, and I know because I've helped run and run many tournaments.

Looking at BOMB4, we had over 100 entrants. It was $20 for singles and $20/team for doubles. We gave 10% of the pot to the church as a donation for letting us use the venue. It was roughly $300 total. In addition to this we sold snacks/soda, which is where we hoped to make some money ourselves. Guess what? We made I think almost $200, and our prices weren't jacked, it was either 50 or 75 cents for a soda, 50 cents for a bag of chips/m&m/skittles/you name it. All you have to do is buy in bulk (which makes a soda cost roughly 13 cents a peice...or was it 7 cents..., and even less for the candy) and you can sell the food at a higher than purchase but less than common retail price.

The big money though was made off pizza. We had the domino's 5/5/5 deal back then, we purchases the pizza, had it delivered, than sold it for $1 a slice. Thats a profit of $3 a pizza (slightly less because of tipping the delivery mangz). Over the course of the day we probably ordered around 20 pizza's, thats $60 cash, easy. Now this tournament happened back in 2005, in a church, run by mostly teenagers, half of whom weren't even 18. And this wasn't even the most profitable Bomb (that would be Bomb 2, thank you formula!), previous bombs were run when we were even younger and even less experianced. Either way, looking at the whole day, if we had taken that 10$ for ourselves, we would have made around $500 or $600, and we weren't even really trying to make money. Food/soda is a requirement at tournaments (and energy drinks are the best buy from what I've seeen, just ask Joe Bushman).

Every Smash tournament these days, if you hope to have success, should have the following:

-Standard (essentially MLG rules with stage variation maybe) rules.
-Pools until top 16/32 depending on the tournament. These pools should be seeded using the rough knowledge of the community. The top 16/32 should then be seeded into a double elimination bracket.
-Use the program Tio, have the person running the program/making the pools be a respected member of the community. Give this person free entry.
-Plenty of setups. For a 30 person tournament 6-8 setups is good. For a 60-100 person tournament 12-20+ are needed.
-Let the members of the community bring their own setups. We will put them on the freaking floor if we have to. The worst thing you can do though is tell us NOT to bring setups, then have the tournament only run using 2-4.
-$20 for singles, $20/team for doubles. $5 venue fee max. I really felt C3 was pushing it with the $8 fee from last time, I know there was a soda/chips included but I just felt like it was a little much. When you get 94 people (over 100 if you include the other fighers) you can just as well make up for that money in selling chips/soda/pizza.
-On a personal note, I prefer to have a percentage of the pot taken, again, anywhere from 10-20% is okay. Then at worst you get maybe 2-4 people *****ing (the winners, but this won't usually happen).

Thank you for your taking the time to write this article up.

We are willing to accomodate any reasonable requests inorder to secure the respect of the smash community. What you stated is definatley something we are willing to do. We want to calm any players fears about this and future JC Media tournaments.

This tournament is still a go. Anyone willing to check out the place is more than welcome to come. If players are worried about wasting their money, let me say this. If anyone in the smash community comes out, and they feel they either DID NOT get their money's worth, or feel the tournament was not ran properly, we will refund you the venue fee. It may not sound like much of an offer, but it is something.

Again, we would like to thank all the smashers who have sticked with this thread throughout all the drama :)

JC Media.

meepxzero

Smash Master
eh mite decide to go to this if i find a ride. More power to smash x_x. i probably wouldnt have gone if i was still in richmond so i feel for robin bein iffy on going himself.

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
I'll do my best to make it depending on da detailts...prices?...teams?...venue?...are they still the same or are they going to change?​

chillindude829

Smash Master
Wow Jtyme, how many different names do you have?

I'm willing to bet the guy who made this thread and everyone else affiliated with "jc media" is jinmaster under a different name

g-regulate

Smash Hero
who cares, we all know by now that any tourney that is "lacking" or "sub par" will be run by one of myself/aho/chillin, and will therefore be run smoothly. all we really ask from the venue is to give us lots of setups, and let us bring setups on top of that. people WILL bring TV's and gamecubes with smash, just let us know what you guys have to offer and we will probably accomadate ourselves with the rest. id say that about 8-12 TV's would do nicely.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
You guys just wanna run it to fix the brackets, your not fooling anyone ;)

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
who cares, we all know by now that any tourney that is "lacking" or "sub par" will be run by one of myself/aho/chillin, and will therefore be run smoothly. all we really ask from the venue is to give us lots of setups, and let us bring setups on top of that. people WILL bring TV's and gamecubes with smash, just let us know what you guys have to offer and we will probably accomadate ourselves with the rest. id say that about 8-12 TV's would do nicely.

Right now we have 8 GCs / and Smash. If the smash players want to bring their TVs that is fine, but post up and let us know who is interested in bringing what. I'd hate to either have almost no one bring a TV, or at the same time, 20 TVs show up and we can't use them all.

For Smash, we will do what you guys requested.

$15 for singles
$10 each for doubles

and the % will be taken out of the pot. How do you guys feel about that ??

Lastlly, please check PMs.

------------------------

Chillin - JTYME has 2 accounts. His JTYME account, and his EGL Mike account he used soley for the EGL tournament for promotion purposes.

------------------------

If anyone has any futher questions/comments, please feel free to post up. Again, we CAN NOT stress this enough. We want a healthy relationship with the smash community. We are willing to work with you guys to ensure both parties are happy. Let us know anything futher we can do.

And Robin, thanks for your vote of support. I appreciate that and G-Reg.....if you want to run the brackets thats fine. We usually use another program but I will try to find Tio so we can use that.

J-Chance is me, Damon. If there are any doubts, lol, ask Robin. I do exist.

JC Media.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
If Nurok is coming no bull$hit about having to be home at a certain time, that $hits annoying son

Nurok

Smash Lord
well
let me go through this
1.if frozen drives me home, no bull**** about coming home late
2.i dont have money
3.i wasted my money@UMBC
4.frozen pay for me

EmperorTFGM

Smash Apprentice
Holding the Line

...heh... I'm so glad that I'm a gamer...

...anyway... The Empire along with DA will be attending this event, but not for what many others will would think. I've actually have been to Widow Maker and to be honest the place is the best Venue that I've seen to date in terms of size and equipment. For those that are going you will see. I know that there is a deep East Coast Community for smash and would be a great opportunity to gather play and talk about how much bigger the smash community can become. I'm glad that unlike some gamers in the fighting game community you guys have your heads on your shoulders and know how to speak up for yourselves.

In any event I'm working on bringing Wes for sure, Kubuu, Dire, Bum, Ron, Jack, Jason, Compton and Possibly PC. I will find out for sure with in the next day or so. If anything I request to the members in DA to post who and who isn't going. I'm also bringing with me Justin Wong who would like to meet most of you guys from the smash community being that he wants to get into the game; well brawl anyway.

I will see you all there. Stay true smashers.

Shinku

Smash Champion
gosh id kill to go this one but sadly i gots to work :urg: . i hope it turns out good. even though i have a good feeling whos gonna win. haha you lose. lol

EmperorTFGM

Smash Apprentice
Bum comes out of his Cave..

...well actually...we're talking with BUM to get his lazy but out of his house and make this community trip with us to Maryland to see the center. (It's Godlike by the way). So if he comes with all of DA the winner is very random. I'm sure most of you have all heard of BUM's DK which is GODLIKE in itself.

I'd put up some money for BUM in money matches to put his DK to the test.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
oooo DA coming to this you guys are fuxing with greatness =o yea i wanan see bums DK and this time we wont let another OOs smasher take the tourney out of MD/VA

If people come =o

Jayo

Smash Apprentice
...heh... I'm so glad that I'm a gamer...

...anyway... The Empire along with DA will be attending this event, but not for what many others will would think. I've actually have been to Widow Maker and to be honest the place is the best Venue that I've seen to date in terms of size and equipment. For those that are going you will see. I know that there is a deep East Coast Community for smash and would be a great opportunity to gather play and talk about how much bigger the smash community can become. I'm glad that unlike some gamers in the fighting game community you guys have your heads on your shoulders and know how to speak up for yourselves.

In any event I'm working on bringing Wes for sure, Kubuu, Dire, Bum, Ron, Jack, Jason, Compton and Possibly PC. I will find out for sure with in the next day or so. If anything I request to the members in DA to post who and who isn't going. I'm also bringing with me Justin Wong who would like to meet most of you guys from the smash community being that he wants to get into the game; well brawl anyway.

I will see you all there. Stay true smashers.
I'll be attending purely because of this post...

I'm definitely trying to introduce the Pros to my Roy so look for JayO

Kubuu

Smash Journeyman
I don't usually post on the boards so much anymore, so clearly this must be a special right? RIGHT! In any event, I'll be coming to this tournament, and I am looking forward to playing a lot of people I haven't seen in a while. I'll be on hand with other DA members, so if I haven't seen you in a while, get a hold of me while I'm there for some friendly matches. And for future reference, the only Link dittos I'll be playing are the ones where the Master Sword is actually on the line!!! (I wish!)

See you all this Saturday!

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Man...maybe I should try CvS2 and 3S...anybody wanna help an old school SF fan get good at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom