• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGCU Smash: Alpha *10/02/10* Ft. Myers, FL

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

The rule is in place so the tournament cannot be rigged by a gimmick stage by switching to a broken character. If it comes down to game 5 and two people are using standard characters and someone counterpicks brinstar with metaknight i think it would be pretty gay.

Look, i feel like i'm stuck under a **** bridge because i'm being TROLLED so hard. If this rule turns out to be too gay AFTER tournament or becomes a problem, then obviously i wont be doing this rule again. This is Florida, and just because we're florida doesn't mean we're not allowed to experiment with stuff. If you dont like the rule then dont come. I'm sorry for experimenting.

I am now going to continue to eat my Publix Brand Pasta and scrambled eggs in peace.

MK is not broken in and of himself, but he DOES have enough abusive tactics (namely planking) for a ban.

Brinstar with MK is a strong counterpick, get over it, or go MK yourself. Or ban him.

Look, honestly, I'm not trolling you. I have general concern that you guys are going to run a tournament that I KNOW is bad.

Experimenting is good. I have and ALWAYS WILL advocate it. I tested Onett, and I'm going to be running CUSTOM STAGES at some point. However, anything you decide to test needs to have some foundation is logical structure.

From almost every conceivable competitive standpoint, this doesn't.
No, banning moves is different than banning options.

Is grabbing the ledge 136 times smiled upon in order to win a match? No. That's why there used to be a rule on planking. It opens up new strategies. This is a rule Viper and i agree will limit a broken characters options. It's not like you can't just counterpick to a normal stage.

Ledge-grab limits are scrubby and create collateral damage to characters that AREN'T broken on the ledge. If you're going to try to limit him in this way, at LEAST use a MK-only Ledge-grab limit.

Furthermore, grabbing the ledge 136 times is a completely legitimate way to win a match, people just don't like it.

I can see you're set on limiting him, so the very least I can try to do is steer you towards a LESS scrubby means of doing so. D:

-!-

Smash Lord
I made that up...maybe, idk the matchup at all :)
lol dammm you I shall find a way... fxck it ill just break its shiled :D

anyways... yea I usually see this FGCU tournaments being more like a noob tournament, last years wasn't too pretty nd I'll take this rule set any time before going back to back... they have been getting better, trust me.

just let 'em experiment we cant really force them to do it our way lol u can either come or not come. to me its w/e I dont main MK so it means Its better for me :)

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
he really doesn't. i wasn't going to make any more posts on this thread but stupid claims like that deserve this vid as a response to your statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0
matt did dskank hurt your feelings just beat him next time you play.

dont be out trolled look at your avatar for inspiration and remember how you got my MK rule thread locked jerk!

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Mink on Vipers account:

LOOK EVERYONE THIS TOURNEYS GONNA BE NASTY. WE'VE HELD TOURNEYS BEFORE. THIS ISN'T HOSTED BY FGCU. THIS IS HOSTED BY THE SWAMP NIGGGAS. IT'S NOT LIKE WE'VE NEVER BEEN TO SMASH TOURNEYS BEFORE. WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING. WERE TRYING TO CHANGE ONE RULE AND SEE HOW IT SETS. OBVIOUSLY THERE IS A RIOT GOING ON, ON THIS THREAD AND PEOPLE ARE HAVING PERIODS ABOUT IT.

This isn't a noob tourney. This is a tourney that's trying new things. I'm going to try to see how it works. Okay? Just let it go.

Please. For the love of some higher power. Just let it go. This tourneys gonna be beast! Hosted by the swampnigggas. Trust me. This won't be scrub.

-!-

Smash Lord
I don't play MK...meh w/e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0&feature=related
betterquality..js

10insanelyidiotics
*re-adds to favorites* :laugh:

anyways... yess its w/e with me ill keep my comments in my head nd those that dont like this rule thingy just dont come lets just keep it that simple... if u guys do that then this wont have much attendance... buuuut if it gets a good attendance then this rule caught some attention... which isnt totally bad :D

after all this is just one random tournament with this new rule nd its not like everyone HAS to use this rule. kk??

sooooo I still wanna go Falcon for this :D

-!-

Smash Lord
lol I get the feeling no one believes me :(

for realz inma warm up before the tournament nd just go with the flow :D I'm bored so cut me some slack XPd

Exdeath

Smash Master

Where I come from means nothing, and not that you give a ****, but I'm a prominent TO for my region, and I happen to use a SENSIBLE ruleset, unlike this one.
Viper is a prominent TO in a region that actually matters. :laugh:

You get props for actually having Distant Planet and Norfair, but this rule is an awful attempt at limiting MK, and you AREN'T EVEN TARGETING ONE OF HIS BROKEN QUALITIES.
The abnormal stages are the worst part of the rule set and Meta Knight is at his best on "transparent" stages.

You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Your ad hominem very much detracts from your attempt to appear superior to your opponents.

No, banning moves is different than banning options.
"Moves" and "options" are essentially the same thing.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Personally I think Swamp ***** tournaments are great and if you're not gonna come and don't main MK then you're just complaining. Imo just don't make brinstar and cruise legal, as Halberd isn't even that strong of a CP and people can ban delphino (which still leaves frigate but it's far from his best stage/autowin).

Exdeath

Smash Master
Personally I think Swamp ***** tournaments are great and if you're not gonna come and don't main MK then you're just complaining. Imo just don't make brinstar and cruise legal, as Halberd isn't even that strong of a CP and people can ban delphino (which still leaves frigate but it's far from his best stage/autowin).
The main point about the rule is that it's trying to remove safe sharking (a.k.a. free Uairs) while minimizing the effect on other characters. For example, G&W and Wario are considerably nerfed when they lose Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise.

Obviously it varies by match-up and it isn't virtually universal in the same way that Brinstar and (to a lesser extent) Rainbow Cruise are, but Halberd is still a very good Meta Knight stage, especially against characters that primarily kill horizontally, is light, won't have much experience on the stage, etc. It always has a central platform and there is a sharking component for a considerable amount of it (you can always plank for the "FD+Platform" part). For example, I like to use it against Peach. MK destroys her anyway, but some of us lesser players still need the advantage to win against, say, Kyon.

I'm also liking to take Snake players who I don't already know I will lose to (e.g. HRNut) there, as they are less likely to be experienced with the stage (because people ban it against them) and are more likely to attempt to force the kill and be predictable.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that brinstar or rainbow should be banned. (those are my two favorite levels with Lucario.) The rule is simple. If you're going to play MK pick him from the start. Its allowed to pick a stage with transparent floors, but say if you're playing gannon and someone else is playing snake and you get 3 stocked, you cant be like "****, MK time on rainbow cruse"
And by judging a rule you have never seen in action you are basing your thoughts of your own logic.
Have we used this rule before or is it just being thought of? Not everyone has the same ideas of "good and bad" like I could think it's a bad idea living in a country north of America. But that doesn't make him stupid. And if you were a fan of expermenting with new rules you should look at this rule with curiosity and want to see how it plays out. Thats what makes these things different.
And one more thing, there is something called the gentleman rule. If someone is confident about their skills as a player to let the other player pick MK on transparent stages, then they can. I mean, did no one think of that?
And I'm the best Lucario in Florida so you can both suck my **** you scraggily *** *****es

wait, what about if you pick random and MK is the pick and you're of RC?

**** Canada. Those **** people are worse than Jews.

I love you races of the world<3

Seems like it just causes problems in my eyes. I would understand why others like south Florida wouldn't come. I will try to make it to this. If I somehow win will we ban Peach? XD
we would be willing to try it:chuckle: just like trying out this rule. We are actually encouraging MK to come so we can see how this rule works out. The venue is very nice with a lake beach only about 200 feet outside the front doors. And as its a saturday pretty college girls and boys will be walking around in their swim wear.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
we would be willing to try it:chuckle: just like trying out this rule. We are actually encouraging MK to come so we can see how this rule works out. The venue is very nice with a lake beach only about 200 feet outside the front doors. And as its a saturday pretty college girls and boys will be walking around in their swim wear.
College boys... Sounds yummy and also not yummy. Not everyone is hot. But I dont know i just see an mk ban a waste since only Seibrik and Red are the only 2 mk players that actually place.

-!-

Smash Lord

anyways hey Kyon.. this is gonna sound really weird but I had a dream about u.. we played a set nd.... u beat me.... again :(

daaammmnn u even in my sleep :laugh:

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
Sounds like im prolly gonna go to this.

Brawl at eagles landing

Melee 2 minute walk back at my place, holla.

Swamp *****s actually run a decent tournament, they hosted one across from me during the summer on campus one day and they were kind enough to let me enter the low tier tournament at total random.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
lol I remember i kept telling myself (in my sleep) "i gooot this, last time went to third match"
but u 2-0 me :laugh:

buuuuuttttt it was just a dream so I can make a difference this time :bee:
I'm getting pretty good against Snake and now I secondary Olimar which I'm still learning and feeling pretty good about using in tourney soon. I say it to everyone. You got this. I'm not good yet.

-!-

Smash Lord
I'm getting pretty good against Snake and now I secondary Olimar which I'm still learning and feeling pretty good about using in tourney soon. I say it to everyone. You got this. I'm not good yet.

lol yea i've noticed u keep getting better at the MU with snake nd olimar is heeelllll of a good character, u gotaa make ur Olimar nassteeee just like ur Peach :)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Viper is a prominent TO in a region that actually matters. :laugh:

Your ad hominem very much detracts from your attempt to appear superior to your opponents.

Not only did THEY do exactly the same kind of Ad hominem argument, YOU did it too, in exactly the same post that you tried to call me out for it.

Hypocritical much?

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Dame Raziek, why don't we talk about how sick my Link is? Or my Lucario. But mainly my link. lol mix watch out breh, CF might have a challange. Oh why don't we have low tier teams lol. And Mink, Ima bomb the **** out of jiggz lol. Call me ackmed lmfao

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
You should. I predict, unless orlando comes it will be you, swolf, me, Viper and kyon for top 5. But not in that order. It should be fun

Top Bottom