• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGC analogies

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Melee are the Nazis because anything that isn't them is inferior and nothing they deem as inferior is allowed to exist in the same space as them.
Brawl are the Jews because that's who they hate the most.
64 are the Gypsies because they got the same treatment as the Jews, just on a lesser scale and very few people bring it up.

At least, that's what I'm getting from this thread.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
With the widely accepted inclusion of Hyrule Temple, 64 becomes a bad competitive game almost more prone to camping than Brawl. The only neutral stages are Dreamland and maybe Peaches Castle and Kongo Jungle.

:phone:
I want to hug you.

This thread is just another way for Melee forum monsters' to feel themselves. I swear people's love of this game is downright erotic. How many random threads have we had on Melee boards to celebrate how good the game is? I can't even begin to count. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing, there are not many communities who show that much appreciation for the game they play and it's quite heart-warming in a way.

But let's not go overboard and start comparing our game to other games (especially since most people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about). Sure this thread is supposedly in good fun, but it can easily go out of hand. We all know this is not ending without some dumb Melee vs Brawl argument.

We don't need analogies or need to compare ourselves to anyone. That only leads to awful, subjective and ignorant discussions that lead to nowhere. This is not much different from random FGC trolls bashing Smash. We're better than that though.

Peace.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
How come people loving melee somehow proves that the fan base is illogical? If wasn't a good game **** wouldn't like it so much.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I want to hug you.

This thread is just another way for Melee forum monsters' to feel themselves. I swear people's love of this game is downright erotic. How many random threads have we had on Melee boards to celebrate how good the game is? I can't even begin to count. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing, there are not many communities who show that much appreciation for the game they play and it's quite heart-warming in a way.

But let's not go overboard and start comparing our game to other games (especially since most people have absolutely no idea what they're talking about). Sure this thread is supposedly in good fun, but it can easily go out of hand. We all know this is not ending without some dumb Melee vs Brawl argument.

We don't need analogies or need to compare ourselves to anyone. That only leads to awful, subjective and ignorant discussions that lead to nowhere. This is not much different from random FGC trolls bashing Smash. We're better than that though.

Peace.
*****, go sit your a$$ in the corner, u need a timeout

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
it isn't, people who like 64 as a competitive game like lame, campy, bad stages, no-timer, no-skill to kill games then say its "competitive"

to compare it to street fighter 2 is ****ing awful because that is one of the hardest fighting games while 64 is VERY easy. sf2 is also fundamentally twice as quick and requires a lot of difficult links while smash 64 tests how to up-smash up-air 7 times as falcon to up-b

64 is a great casual game though. playing non-campy char battles, like link/samus dittos are really fun

==

ON TOPIC ANALOGIES:

melee = starcraft 1 = street fighter 3 = counter-strike 1.5-1.6 = marvel 2

BRAWL= starcraft 2 = street fighter 4 = counter-strike SOURCE
Lovely how you are calling it easy. Do you play 64 competitively at all? Have yoy won 64 tournaments? Are you a 64 top level player?

FYI, those camp fest you see only happens in USA, in fact, usa is the only country who has Hyrule as a neutral stage (And maybe Peru). The best South American Players are a Mario, a Falcon and a Kirby/Samus main (Only campy character there is Kirby)

And wtf dude, Smash is a campy game, Melee IS a campy game, you cant deny that, if you look 64 down because its a "campy" game then you should feel bad, because the game you play is campy as **** aswell.

EDIT:

This thread is giving me brain cancer
This

The Star King

Smash Hero
@felipe: S2J used to be really good at 64 before he started playing melee actually lol
Define "good".

Being "good" in some ****ty 08 metagame doesn't impress me.

And even then, he didn't hold a candle to the top so I don't see how he can talk about how easy 64 is when he didn't even compete for the top. If the game is so easy, S2J, why were you getting wrecked so hard by Isai? The skill gap suggests to me there's a lot to learn in 64.

We're better than that though.
Ha... You must be new here.

Smash community for biggest hypocrites. Whine about FGC ignorantly hating on us... ignorantly hate on other Smash games. And this doesn't go for any single Smash game community. All three are guilty.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The difference is most (all) of us have at least played bral and unanimously decided it sucks.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
The difference is most (all) of us have at least played bral and unanimously decided it sucks.
"We're correct in doing something we hate other people for because [unjustified implications that they haven't given Smash a fair chance]"

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah because one thing hasn't changed obviously nothing has

People still do Sheik dthrow fair! Melee hasn't changed in a decade! *rolls eyes*

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
They're the same way about Brawl. So many Melee players still think Brawl is just Falco doing short hop laser vs. Snake doing crouch and grenade, or two MK's spamming 'nado and Uairing the edge.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Biz R O would have a case if brawl had any redeeming qualities. What do you think it means when the only people who play competitive brawl never played either of the previous smash games at a high level. It doesn't surprise me that people who don't know **** about melee say that both games are equal.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
It doesn't surprise me that a Melee player doesn't know what an opinion is.

The Star King

Smash Hero
tl;dr everyone is ignorant

hey dean how's that morri/doom/vergil going for you
Brawl is like AMERICA where everyone wants to shoot at each other with guns from a distance.

64 is like Australia. Sick as ****
Really disappointed a chain of like 50 posts derailing the thread didn't result from this.

The one time I need some good ol' Australian derailing and you let me down.

It does surprise me that you don't know opinions can be wrong.

Then it's not an opinion, it's a fact...

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

What do you think it means when the only people who play competitive brawl never played either of the previous smash games at a high level.
Mew2King confirmed for not a high level Melee player.

For the record I personally really dislike Brawl. I don't act like my opinion is the one everyone should have though.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure M2K hates brawl. He be after them $$$$$. Maybe he's changed his mind as of late. Idk.

Battlecow

Play to Win
ok lotta posts

stabbed I'm gonna level with you fencing is ****ing really expensive, one of the more expensive sports. The equipment constantly breaks and is a pain in the ***. THAT SAID, if you can actually play the sport it's ****ing sick. Just great. prolly foil for most falco-like, precise, technical, good? IDK it's hard to do character comparisons. Maybe epee is more "technical."

As for 64--

obviously a very very (I would say brokenly) defensive game with hyrule allowed. But japan/much of south america has that banned, and north america/europe is leaning that way as well (most--not all but most--of the good/smart players are very anti-hyrule. But isai + conservative about rulesets = not there yet).

The claim that "only one person plays 64" is silly. Isai's the best, dominant on a level that's rarely seen in any competitive game, but other people make discoveries, advancements, and even challenge him (Gerson the Peruvian pika, for example, took 8 of 21 recorded games).

s2j should know what he's talking about, but I'm not sure he does. He was OK in like '08, and a lot of people were (kinda still are) bad at 64 so he prolly beat some people, but saying that it's about "knowing how to usmash and uair" is ****ing stupid, and he should know that; I think he must be trolling (dead serious). Yeah, falcon has a lot of guaranteed kills, but saying that there's nothing more than usmashing is dumb. You still have to, you know, get the spacing and stuff to land the hit, that's smash 101. Don't get hit is in full force, but it's not like falcon doesn't have guaranteed kills out of grab on a bunch of the cast at 60% in melee; falcon peach is still more than just "knowing how to downthrow." Furthermore, while their are a lot of guaranteed kills it's never close to 100%, usually more like 50, going up to maybe 70 if you have a great grasp of all the little intricacies of chasing DI and choosing the right option on your combo tree given stage, etc.

A person like strong bad sees 64 and either says "oh this is an ultimately defensive game" because it's on hyrule or because that particular player is more hungrybox than mango (we have both at very high levels) or "oh this game is really simple, isai just always wins because he's better at uairing than other people" which is ridiculous. MDZ's little decision-explaining video could be replicated for isai by someone smarter, better at 64, and more articulate than me in crazy detail, but take a look at Isai's "guide to intermediate rat dittos" which is related in his signature curt, overly simplistic style, but is actually a collection of pearls of (fairly) complicated wisdom. It's still simple enough to be accessible, though.

For example, when he says things like "the rat underneath has the advantage," he's communicating a fairly complex idea about the nature of pikachu's uair hitbox in the ditto. Combined with the video example, you realize that there's a very hard-to-articulate and complicated method behind spacing pika uairs, one that's both amazing fun to learn and difficult to master.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
whoever organised apex could have justifiably banned hyrule

people are just scared of rocking isai's throne (not that banning hyrule would mean isai would lose, hell no - unless he decides to only use link again)

Really disappointed a chain of like 50 posts derailing the thread didn't result from this.

The one time I need some good ol' Australian derailing and you let me down.
if it was me and ciaza im sure something anime would've come of it

but dean is a weakling

ontopic

64 is RBY
melee is GSC
project M is HGSS
brawl is the anime

Mahie

Smash Lord
I too, believe 64 is more about defense and escapology than it is about offense. Of course you'll answer that to break these you need to be able to attack, but waiting it out safely with pokes is usually the smarter thing to do.

Not the point of the thread though.

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's because you're from Europe, everyone from there thinks that with that noob metagame :troll: (but seriously)

Top Bottom