• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

|FBT6 - BRAWL| March 20-21 Oshkosh, WI. West Circuit Event #2 - Results in 1st Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zicore

Smash Champion
Really? That's strange; we ran pools this way at NO KOAST and this didn't happen. Oh well lol

Don't take anything personally dude. As a fellow TO, I was just pointing out little things I saw. I got nothing against you guys and I know you all tried your best. No problems.

Maybe we'll see WI at WHOBO?
DOUBLE POST OF JUSTICE!

You were here? I was unaware of this. I thought you said before that you heard these things? I will just assume your first statement, and then say this. If everyone went by things they heard, this world would be even more ****ed up then it already is.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
*grabs chair and bucket of popcorn*

What did I miss?! I saw my name in a couple posts

And Bone.... Sad faces for not remembering me! "THIS WALKING ROB IS TOO GOOD!"

Zicore

Smash Champion
*grabs chair and bucket of popcorn*

What did I miss?! I saw my name in a couple posts

And Bone.... Sad faces for not remembering me! "THIS WALKING ROB IS TOO GOOD!"
You missed an eyesore of johns. Have fun reading 2 pages of people *****ing =D

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
You sir, are a ******. Location should never matter in bracket. Why should two people get special treatment if they didn't do well in pools? If there are 8 pools, it should follow a pattern to get everyone into a bracket. What the pattern is, is up to the TO. Otherwise, you should not change people just because they are from the same state.

And don't rebutle, i would ignore it and call you a cockface. Your TO skills disgust me.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:______________ :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh:____
:laugh::laugh::laugh:______________ :laugh::laugh:______--:laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh:____
:laugh::laugh::laugh:______________ :laugh::laugh:______--:laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh:____
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh:______--:laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:_____:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That is all.

Depending on when/where WHOBO is, maybe a WI car will come.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216278

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
Lain, Hunger, Tapion, and Rofa? Those guys were all clumped right next to each other, the other people we expected to do well (Razor, Quik) looked like they'd be alright where they were.
Wafles,

Why was I expected to do well? No one except Missouri had ever heard of me before this tournament. Just curious.

MurdaMoe

Smash Ace
MN's spidey senses tingled and knew something dumb was going to happen

edit:get ***** WI TO's

but i love u both :D

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
You sir, are a ******. Location should never matter in bracket. Why should two people get special treatment if they didn't do well in pools? If there are 8 pools, it should follow a pattern to get everyone into a bracket. What the pattern is, is up to the TO. Otherwise, you should not change people just because they are from the same state.

And don't rebutle, i would ignore it and call you a cockface. Your TO skills disgust me.

You play the most defensive fighting game, yet in a real life discussion, you can't handle people who defend themselves after being verbally attacked. That is failure at its best.

WTF, are you serious? Dear lord your dumb. Please use common sense when seeding. NEVER put people who play each other ALL the time in the SAME pool. Man i know people dont like some of my rules and stuff but i at least try to seed people acording to location and skill.

*never attends anything you host*

grimacetpp

Smash Apprentice
You don't need to tell me about fooling around in pools. It messes everything up.

Of course WI people are going to play other WI people, they made up the majority of the tourney.

Jake is Razor and he is in charge of transportation to pretty much every tourney we go to, that included Beezos. Jake might not have so much a right to compare skill levels but he at least knows what he is talking about, and he did place top 8.

LoneJedi, I assumed it because I did have evidence but I never said anything about it in this thread, because thats it. They're just assumptions. Also, no one would complain about time issues because we obviously had enough time for doubles pools.

If you don't want people complaining about your tourney then just hold an even better one next time. Stop freaking out about who should be thankful when we all put in the effort to make this a good event. One, by showing up and two, asc and Razor were making suggestions. No one asked for the tourney to be run exactly the way we wanted it to, but considering we did add money to the pot and paid for stuff it means he doesn't have to stay silent when he believes things could've been run better.

I would like to take this post to thank Wafles and EighteenSpikes for holding the tourney. I'ma take a hint from Inferno and chill out now.
... paid for stuff? Spikes had to use all of his $900 pepsi sponshorship to run this, you guys paid $5 each, the fact that you paid 1/180th of what Spikes paid really doesn't compute to me as backing for your argument. I'd like to take this time to say this was beautifully ran, and hopefully all the negative comments do not defer an excellent TO like Spikes to run more tournaments

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
The best from the NE will be there.

No Johns :)
23 hour drive to play brawl johns

... paid for stuff? Spikes had to use all of his $900 pepsi sponshorship to run this, you guys paid $5 each, the fact that you paid 1/180th of what Spikes paid really doesn't compute to me as backing for your argument. I'd like to take this time to say this was beautifully ran, and hopefully all the negative comments do not defer an excellent TO like Spikes to run more melee/local brawl tournaments
fixed

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
... paid for stuff? Spikes had to use all of his $900 pepsi sponshorship to run this, you guys paid $5 each, the fact that you paid 1/180th of what Spikes paid really doesn't compute to me as backing for your argument. I'd like to take this time to say this was beautifully ran, and hopefully all the negative comments do not defer an excellent TO like Spikes to run more tournaments
The TO alone doesn't make a good tourney, the attendees are a part of that equation. I'm sorry if I missed the point where people got angry but Razor and the others can work that out themselves, I'm just saying it goes both ways and he has the right to bring his opinions to the table. If you don't want people to complain then just work it out better for your next tourney.

grimacetpp

Smash Apprentice
WTF, are you serious? Dear lord your dumb. Please use common sense when seeding. NEVER put people who play each other ALL the time in the SAME pool. Man i know people dont like some of my rules and stuff but i at least try to seed people acording to location and skill.

*never attends anything you host*
All I have to say is, you can seed pools by location or brackets by location, but trying to do both will not work. It is as simple as that, I'm sorry if that's really that hard of a concept.

Wafles

Smash Lord
Can someone clarify something for me?

In the match of Fade v. Jahordan: Who won? My TIO got messed up and this is the only match I can't get a confirmation on.

This was first round losers bracket and really only affects the placement of these two people.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
ahem

whats up
actually, you're where i got the 23 hour drive stuff from and what i semi base that statement on

i mean, i bet you and texas is full of awesome people that i'd hang out with and shiz if i lived there....but...23 hour drives are not to my liking

congrats on doing the 23 hour drive though, no amount of props will suffice for that awesome display of diligance

ps, you should join the FBI as a pro car chaser and steakoutter

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman
All I have to say is, you can seed pools by location or brackets by location, but trying to do both will not work. It is as simple as that, I'm sorry if that's really that hard of a concept.
Basically what i said b4, poks and brothers think too much alike

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
So, way too much is going to remain unsaid unless I go ahead and do it for everyone who won't say the things that need to be said.

I think this tournament was run terribly. Some of the organization was complete and utter bs. First of all when we had enough people to run a 64 man bracket why would we not do that? Fine still do pools but do that for seeding purposes. I think people didn't realize the fact that some people drove anywhere from 6-9 hours to come to this for them to get screwed in pools and not make the brackets.

Pools were ridiculous. Of the seven Iowans four got put in pools with other Iowans. But wait wasn't there seven pools? Why the f*ck weren't the Iowans spread out between pools? Ok lets move onto team pools of the three Iowa teams two were put in one pool, when I went to ask to get that switched after they had already moved around other Wisconsin teams I was ignored and basically told to deal with it.

The brackets were even worse in my opinion. Jordan, Kit, and Cook(asc) made the brackets. Jordan played cook first round and the winner played Kit. Come on. They even asked to get it switched and were ignored. I played one of the four Iowans who moved on in my second round. But yet the brackets get switched for Hunger and Tapion and some others that I can't remember right now.

I met some cool people at this tournament but I also met a lot of elitist pricks. I'll remember this about Wisconsin. That's what is awesome about places like Iowa and Missouri and even Minnesota. Everyone from those places are nice people, that don't talk **** during matches, look down on people they may not have "heard" of, or throw **** when they lose. Sure some of us may be sarcastic but we aren't *******s like quite a few of the people I met at this tournament.

I'm so glad that Asc is running the next midwest circuit because that means it won't be run so god awful. I'm sure most of the Wisconsin people won't bother to come despite the fact that we went there but I don't really care. I wasn't really that impressed by what I saw from the Wisconsin people, No Koast had so much more talent it is ridiculous. Unless things are going to be different next time count me and probably all of Iowa out for future events in Wisconsin.
:urg: im late to the thread but i guess im obligated to respond to this

There was not a 64 man bracket because less than 64 people entered. Eliminating 27 people based on how they perform in 8 pools of 7-8 people is SIGNIFICANTLY more fair and efficient than arbitrarily giving 5 people byes in a giant bracket. We had 15 setups going and a 64 man bracket starts with 32 matches. That is very difficult to keep smooth. If a match gets neglected it causes huge delays when people on both sides of the bracket are waiting for the results of an early match. Furthermore, giving people a pity bracket advancement is redundant as far as efficiency is concerned. This is why I chose to use the extra time originally scheduled for the 64 man bracket on teams pools instead. There were 21 teams and whittling that down to 16 was far more productive than throwing everyone into a randomly seeded 32 team bracket with 11 byes just so everyone could get another pity try in singles. Perhaps this will help you see things from the TO's perspective instead of your own; I announced many times that top 4 were going through to a 32 man bracket, and I doubt it's a coincidence that the "issue" of a 32-man bracket was brought to my attention only after pools finished and some oos'ers were eliminated.

On the subject of pools, you have to understand that I don't know many brawl players. I'm terrible at Brawl so I'm not quite as savvy when it comes to memorizing what players are from what state. That is why after reading off the players in every single pool, I asked over the microphone if there were any problems with that pool. We re-shuffled pools 3 times and then started manually moving players. If you didn't come up and tell me there was a problem with your pool then you seriously have no excuse. Also even though I wasn't the person you asked about the teams pools, I probably also would have told you that it was not a big deal. We shuffled the pools once because one pool was literally ALL Wisconsin, but beyond that I wasn't terribly concerned with the teams pools. Seriously, only one team got eliminated per 5 team pool, and that's a lot more generous in terms of match variety and placement fairness than the random bracket you expected coming in the door. I can't imagine how many more angry posts I'd have to put up with if we actually did do a random bracket. Oh well. You give people an inch and they take a mile.

And that right there is the reason I am now just so disappointed in the Brawl community. I'm not even going to talk about how much effort I personally put into the tournament -- effort doesn't really add up to anything objective when it comes to TO. But everything was right there for all of the players -- an overnight tournament in a giant venue in a reasonably accessible location with a huge pot bonus and free drinks all for only $5 (or free with a setup). All that drew only 59 people? Where the hell is the community? And from what I can tell from the passive-aggressive essay I quoted above, the only problem with the organization itself was that there were like 5 sets (of several hundred) where a state played itself. That doesn't sound too bad to me. Yet I have people that couldn't bring concerns up to my face running around on the internet calling this a terribly run tournament, and children that didn't even attend insulting my entire state. Why should I put up with this immaturity to please such a small community? There's no real answer for that, and that is why this will be the last Brawl tournament I ever run. There's just so much more I have to offer this community than what it can appreciate.
P.S. June 6th is the quasi-confirmed date for a melee-only tournament at UWO ;)

wafles, youve got the tio, get a results thread up so i can leave shouts to the cool people :dedede:

Vinodh

Smash Apprentice
THIS TOURNAMENT WAS THE WORST TOURNAMENT EVER AND SHOULDVE NEVER HAPPENED

1) Because it was brawl 2) Because I wasn't there : /

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman
18spikes im one of those cool people right? Also any1 have a way for me to contact Jahordan? I need to get me some mindgame squares

hunger!

Smash Champion
so going through the last about 7 pages was like reading a book with people who use awful logic.
that's all my input to that discussion is. i'm not going to complain

as far as iowa and missouri go.
-missouri takes some getting used to but are generally really cool people
-iowa had some fun people and some really dumb people

razor said something about how in singles bracket, tapion and i got special treatment and got moved around and something about that not being fair or something to that extent. um...tapion. me and lain were ALL on the top part of the first area of the bracket. that's the only reason we got moved around. And also tapion and i were supposed to be on opposite sides of the bracket since we got 1st in doubles. that's the reason we got moved around.

dont care about everything else.

waiting for results thread for shouts

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman
:urg: im late to the thread but i guess im obligated to respond to this

There was not a 64 man bracket because less than 64 people entered. Eliminating 27 people based on how they perform in 8 pools of 7-8 people is SIGNIFICANTLY more fair and efficient than arbitrarily giving 5 people byes in a giant bracket. We had 15 setups going and a 64 man bracket starts with 32 matches. That is very difficult to keep smooth. If a match gets neglected it causes huge delays when people on both sides of the bracket are waiting for the results of an early match. Furthermore, giving people a pity bracket advancement is redundant as far as efficiency is concerned. This is why I chose to use the extra time originally scheduled for the 64 man bracket on teams pools instead. There were 21 teams and whittling that down to 16 was far more productive than throwing everyone into a randomly seeded 32 team bracket with 11 byes just so everyone could get another pity try in singles. Perhaps this will help you see things from the TO's perspective instead of your own; I announced many times that top 4 were going through to a 32 man bracket, and I doubt it's a coincidence that the "issue" of a 32-man bracket was brought to my attention only after pools finished and some oos'ers were eliminated.

On the subject of pools, you have to understand that I don't know many brawl players. I'm terrible at Brawl so I'm not quite as savvy when it comes to memorizing what players are from what state. That is why after reading off the players in every single pool, I asked over the microphone if there were any problems with that pool. We re-shuffled pools 3 times and then started manually moving players. If you didn't come up and tell me there was a problem with your pool then you seriously have no excuse. Also even though I wasn't the person you asked about the teams pools, I probably also would have told you that it was not a big deal. We shuffled the pools once because one pool was literally ALL Wisconsin, but beyond that I wasn't terribly concerned with the teams pools. Seriously, only one team got eliminated per 5 team pool, and that's a lot more generous in terms of match variety and placement fairness than the random bracket you expected coming in the door. I can't imagine how many more angry posts I'd have to put up with if we actually did do a random bracket. Oh well. You give people an inch and they take a mile.

And that right there is the reason I am now just so disappointed in the Brawl community. I'm not even going to talk about how much effort I personally put into the tournament -- effort doesn't really add up to anything objective when it comes to TO. But everything was right there for all of the players -- an overnight tournament in a giant venue in a reasonably accessible location with a huge pot bonus and free drinks all for only $5 (or free with a setup). All that drew only 59 people? Where the hell is the community? And from what I can tell from the passive-aggressive essay I quoted above, the only problem with the organization itself was that there were like 5 sets (of several hundred) where a state played itself. That doesn't sound too bad to me. Yet I have people that couldn't bring concerns up to my face running around on the internet calling this a terribly run tournament, and children that didn't even attend insulting my entire state. Why should I put up with this immaturity to please such a small community? There's no real answer for that, and that is why this will be the last Brawl tournament I ever run. There's just so much more I have to offer this community than what it can appreciate.
P.S. June 6th is the quasi-confirmed date for a melee-only tournament at UWO ;)

wafles, youve got the tio, get a results thread up so i can leave shouts to the cool people :dedede:
Well, Wisconsin brawl scene is dead because of a bunch of immature jerks, I'm ****ing 13 and it seems that I'm one of the only people that can appreciate the time and effort that spikes and wafles put into this tournament. Thank you to all the people that didn't even attend take out Wisconsins best host, GG.D: RIP 18spikes

Nicole

Smash Champion
I heard I'm ugly, but maybe my opinion still counts? :p

There was not a 64 man bracket because less than 64 people entered. Eliminating 27 people based on how they perform in 8 pools of 7-8 people is SIGNIFICANTLY more fair and efficient than arbitrarily giving 5 people byes in a giant bracket. We had 15 setups going and a 64 man bracket starts with 32 matches. That is very difficult to keep smooth. If a match gets neglected it causes huge delays when people on both sides of the bracket are waiting for the results of an early match. Furthermore, giving people a pity bracket advancement is redundant as far as efficiency is concerned. This is why I chose to use the extra time originally scheduled for the 64 man bracket on teams pools instead. There were 21 teams and whittling that down to 16 was far more productive than throwing everyone into a randomly seeded 32 team bracket with 11 byes just so everyone could get another pity try in singles.
First of all, pools should've determined the seeding and there should've been a 64 man bracket. The 5 byes in singles would've been given to the 5 highest placing people in pools, so it wouldn't have been random at all. Brackets were interesting, I heard, because THREE OF FOUR MO PLAYERS played each other. This was especially interesting because according to seeding from pools, Jordan (from MO) was set to play Hunger (from WI), but that got switched so that Jordan had to play ASC (from MO). I'm not really sure why this happened, but the fact that pool seeding was ignored made no sense - why did pools even happen then?!

That is why after reading off the players in every single pool, I asked over the microphone if there were any problems with that pool. We re-shuffled pools 3 times and then started manually moving players. If you didn't come up and tell me there was a problem with your pool then you seriously have no excuse. Also even though I wasn't the person you asked about the teams pools, I probably also would have told you that it was not a big deal. We shuffled the pools once because one pool was literally ALL Wisconsin, but beyond that I wasn't terribly concerned with the teams pools.
Pools weren't set up well according to skill. ASC (my doubles partner from MO), went 12-0 in his pool; he's not good enough to do that in a balanced pool. Jordan, 1/2 of Team Real Team (which got third in doubles) BARELY made it out of his pool, scraping by with 4th. His pool had Hunger, Scythe, and Wafles from WI (who are all good players) and Jlo and Blank from IA (who are also good players!).

I'm not trying to john, because I didn't play well enough to get out of my pool. I'm not making excuses for myself, I'm trying to explain why the tournament wasn't run particularly well. You talk about getting a sponsorship, which is great, but I personally would've appreciated fairer pools more than getting free Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

Meeting all you WI people was really cool though, and the tournament overall was really fun, I had a good time. All I (and IA) are trying to say is that the tournament could've been run much better. People (including me) get serious about circuit tournaments and since this WAS a circuit tournament, we expected that pools would've been divided up fairly, brackets would've been handled according to seeding in pools, and that more people (some of whom probably deserved to make it out of pools) would've gotten to play in the bracket. Just because some players aren't "good enough to win the tournament" doesn't mean that they aren't good enough to make the bracket and get some circuit points.

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman
. . . Ironboots if you read like the last 10 pages you would know why they hunger was moved, also you didnt do the clothes match. . . also you are not helping the spikes case. . .

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
His pool had Hunger, Scythe, and Wafles from WI (who are all good players) and Jlo and Blank from IA (who are also good players!).

I'm not trying to john because I didn't play well enough to get out of my pool. I'm not making excuses for myself, I'm trying to explain why the tournament wasn't run particularly well. You talk about getting a sponsorship, which is great, but I personally would've appreciated fairer pools more than getting free Pepsi and Mountain Dew.
I already said in my last post that I suck at Brawl and don't know much about the community. That's why I specifically asked over the mic if there were any problems with each pool as I read them off. I heard no complaints after the 4th or so reshuffle so we started playing. I really don't know what more a TO could possibly be expected to do in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom