• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Favorite Zelda Game Poll

What is your favorite Zelda Game?

• Total voters

BaconLegs

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of Minish Cap for the handheld category, and Majora's Mask for the console category, closely followed by Wind Waker.
There are no reasons behind these choices, they just are. [/zen]
Above all, though, I miss playing four swords adventures with my friends...

Link_Player123

Smash Rookie
I never did play "the four swords", for the GBA because I never had anyone to play with. I thought that this was one of the stupidest things a videogame company ever did. I mean you could have at least added a single-player with a bunch of AI's.

P.S How was the four swords? was it any good? (I am asking this to people that actually did have 4 friends that could play all at once... again, stupidest idea ever!)

Scott!

Smash Lord
I can sum this up in with one comparision.

World of Warcraft.

I don't think people are a big fan of traveling, is the thing. I mean, we would rather be killing hordes of minions and actually gaining something than spending that time traveling. And it's not that we don't take in the sights, we do. But in the end, having to keep track of what's going on during a battle is more engaging than holding down a button to move. Which is why we're so joyous when we can avoid just problems (faster mounts, warp songs, etc.).

And again, why is the Triforce charts a big problem? Like WoW, it's tedious. It's frustrating going back and forth between areas to pick up one thing. And you never know if you're in the right spot, or if something good will even come out of it.

Yet here we are, many of us fans of the game(s) (myself included for BOTH), and even with these downfalls, we still go back and play em.

(Sorry for the WoW comparisions, but having played it for 5+ hours, your brain is just thinking of it at all times)
I can see where people are coming from with the sailing, I guess. But I don't see it as just "holding down a button to move". There's stuff to keep you engaged, hordes of seafaring minions to lay waste to, and you move pretty fast anyway. Most of the sailing done before you get the warp song isn't all that far, and with the wind at your back, you get there pretty darn fast. And once you do get the warp song, it's even faster. I just don't see why it's such a deal-breaker for some people.

As for the charts, there is some tedium in going to Tingle and then back out to find each one. But you definitely know if you're in the right spot, since there's a big x on your map, and an arrow for your location. And you know something good will happen in a Zelda game when you're assembling Triforce shards, namely you'll assemble part of the Triforce.

I can see why people complain about these things to an extent. Yes, you had to sail everywhere, and sometimes you just wanted to be there. Yes, getting the shards involved some back-and-forth to Tingle and a lot of exploring. I just don't see how they have become such points of contention for so many gamers. If you mention WW, the first things people will complain about are the art style (which I'm not getting into), the sailing, and the Triforce shards quest, and I don't get why.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I can see where people are coming from with the sailing, I guess. But I don't see it as just "holding down a button to move". There's stuff to keep you engaged, hordes of seafaring minions to lay waste to, and you move pretty fast anyway. Most of the sailing done before you get the warp song isn't all that far, and with the wind at your back, you get there pretty darn fast. And once you do get the warp song, it's even faster. I just don't see why it's such a deal-breaker for some people.

As for the charts, there is some tedium in going to Tingle and then back out to find each one. But you definitely know if you're in the right spot, since there's a big x on your map, and an arrow for your location. And you know something good will happen in a Zelda game when you're assembling Triforce shards, namely you'll assemble part of the Triforce.

I can see why people complain about these things to an extent. Yes, you had to sail everywhere, and sometimes you just wanted to be there. Yes, getting the shards involved some back-and-forth to Tingle and a lot of exploring. I just don't see how they have become such points of contention for so many gamers. If you mention WW, the first things people will complain about are the art style (which I'm not getting into), the sailing, and the Triforce shards quest, and I don't get why.
The sailing in WW was ****ing epic. I can see why some people think it gets tedious, but personally, I love the feel of it. What would WW be without the sailing? The sea wouldn't seem so vast and full of new islands to explore. And not to mention, the music adds so much to the epicness (not a word, but whatever).

But on the other hand, the Triforce quest is long, tedious, and utterly pointless. Tingle gets on my freaking nerves trying to make me pay as many rupees as can fit in my wallet, and that's only for the Triforce Chart maps. So it's basically spending 300 or so rupees to get the Triforce map maps. What a waste.

The same reason why all I have to do is say "Water Temple" and people will groan about it.
Urrgghh... not the Water Temple... :urg:

Dark Link was awesome, though.

Shadow*91

Smash Rookie
@link_player123: it's all right but the multiplayer isn't really worth it. in fact if it wasn't for the 4Swords dungeon or the hurricane spin attack, i wouldn't bother with it.

The same reason why all I have to do is say "Water Temple" and people will groan about it.
f*** that temple. :mad:

as for the WW discussion: sailing wasn't all that bad. the only thing i hate about it is the overworld music. it sucks! i would've preffered the main Zelda theme or the Hyrule field theme.

as for the topic, i vote A Link to the Past
this was the game i spent hours playing when i was 4. i had it for the SNES and played it constantly. when it came out for the GBA, i got it and played it constantly. once it was on VC, i got it and still play it constantly. I've probably logged more hours into that game then the rest of my wii games play time altogether. so good it was released 3 times. this was the game that made me fall in love with games.

my overall Zelda list goes like this: (only counting Zelda games i've played)
1=A Link to the Past
2=Twilight Princess
3=Ocarina of Time
4=Wind Waker
5=Legend of Zelda(original)
6=Minish Cap
7=Majora's Mask
8=Links Awakening

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am in the minority in that I love the OoT Water Temple.

D3m0nhunter719

Smash Cadet
The sailing in WW was ****ing epic. I can see why some people think it gets tedious, but personally, I love the feel of it. What would WW be without the sailing? The sea wouldn't seem so vast and full of new islands to explore. And not to mention, the music adds so much to the epicness (not a word, but whatever).

But on the other hand, the Triforce quest is long, tedious, and utterly pointless. Tingle gets on my freaking nerves trying to make me pay as many rupees as can fit in my wallet, and that's only for the Triforce Chart maps. So it's basically spending 300 or so rupees to get the Triforce map maps. What a waste.
Another thing I hated was having to change the direction of the wind every eight freaking seconds....in fact that is a very large contributor to why I disliked WW.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The sailing in WW wasn't bad. I did enjoy the extra islands. ^_^

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
really though, they could have made the wind-change thing like, a one button item.

actually, i really wish they would bring back the mad spells like in Zelda 2. i want to turn into a fairy again :colorful:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Again, I don't see the problem people have with the Water Temple. The only reason I see to hate on it is if on your first playthrough you did that thing where you used up your keys in the wrong spots and had to restart your file. I never did that or knew you could until I heard horror stories here. It's a challenging dungeon, yes. The water levels need to be cycled through multiple times, keys are hidden in clever places you wouldn't think of checking, and all that. But I don't see a problem with any of it. It's a challenging dungeon, and so people complain about it. But don't we all like to complain about how TP and WW and all the recent games are too easy? I'd like more dungeons to be that hard. It's not in my top few in OoT, mostly because the water theme isn't my favorite, and aesthetically it loses to a few others in my opinion, but it's quite good, and a welcome challenge to me.

Edit: I do agree that changing the wind was bothersome, though I'd plan my routes to account for minimal changes. Things like having it blow at an angle rather than right behind me so that when I left my destination, it was still going where I needed it.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Again, I don't see the problem people have with the Water Temple. The only reason I see to hate on it is if on your first playthrough you did that thing where you used up your keys in the wrong spots and had to restart your file.
Is that even possible? I wouldnt think that Zelda would have a flaw like that. I have always been astonished that people have had trouble with the water temple. Even at about 7 when I got the game I strutted through it without getting lost (I guess its the fact that the temple has so many floors?)

I always thought the hardest temple by far was the Spirit Temple. The Young Link level, the sunshine puzzles, those dag'gone Anubises (anubi?),the Darknuts and Iron Knuckles, and the witches (All hail the witches!).

Jabu Jabu being a close second: You have to carry that little zora brat, and then you have to defeat the nearly impossible Big Octo (Even now, this ******* takes me a long time to beat!) Not to mention the bubbles... I hate the bubbles... I hate them with a passion...

Shadow Temple was hard too. Not because it was challenging by any stretch of the imagination, but because it was a constant struggle to get through the temple seeing as it scared the crap out of me.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to misuse the keys so you are totally screwed like that. The main reason I had so much trouble the first couple playthroughs was because of a key I always overlooked. When you flood the water up to the 2nd floor (IIRC), a platform rises and there's a hole underneath that I never thought to look.

Also, the switching of the boots was really annoying but everyone knows that.

rhan

Smash Hero
I want a completely realistic Zelda (graphics). It doesn't have to be super mature. It just needs to look good and have super epic enemies that are actually difficult to combat.
Eff graphics. Gimme a storyline that'll make me cry! (Ex: Awakening & Twilight.)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Moreover, why does someone want realism from a fantasy game?
Well, for most people, realistic graphics enhance the game experience. Even if it is a fantasy game, realistic graphics will make the game more immersive. That said, I've always been a fan of the more stylized graphics rather than generic, brown realism... But to some (actually, probably to most) realistic graphics are the way to go. They simply just help people get more into the game.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Realistic graphics are great. You might argue that some of the best games in history don't have good graphics by our current standards, but better graphics could only improve them! For example, OoT could use better graphics, and lots of people are trying to fix that.

Of course, maybe it's not utter realism I'm talking about, just well-done graphics in general.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Again, I don't see the problem people have with the Water Temple. The only reason I see to hate on it is if on your first playthrough you did that thing where you used up your keys in the wrong spots and had to restart your file. I never did that or knew you could until I heard horror stories here. It's a challenging dungeon, yes. The water levels need to be cycled through multiple times, keys are hidden in clever places you wouldn't think of checking, and all that. But I don't see a problem with any of it. It's a challenging dungeon, and so people complain about it. But don't we all like to complain about how TP and WW and all the recent games are too easy? I'd like more dungeons to be that hard. It's not in my top few in OoT, mostly because the water theme isn't my favorite, and aesthetically it loses to a few others in my opinion, but it's quite good, and a welcome challenge to me.

Edit: I do agree that changing the wind was bothersome, though I'd plan my routes to account for minimal changes. Things like having it blow at an angle rather than right behind me so that when I left my destination, it was still going where I needed it.
I didn't say it was something to understand. I was just giving a comparision for the whole Zelda boards.

I think I found something for you to understand our disdain for aspects like these. Think of something you love NOW, but back THEN you found a certain displeasure about. This displeasure has to be big enough where when you think of this favorite thing, you also think about this displeasure and how much it annoyed you.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to misuse the keys so you are totally screwed like that. The main reason I had so much trouble the first couple playthroughs was because of a key I always overlooked. When you flood the water up to the 2nd floor (IIRC), a platform rises and there's a hole underneath that I never thought to look.

Also, the switching of the boots was really annoying but everyone knows that.
This is EXACTLY why I never like the Temple in the first place. I've explained this before. Usually the reason why it's hated is because you missed one little thing (i.e. key) and it takes you forever to find it, then you find out it was in an easy to find location.

Once you get rid of it, the Temple is fun to play through.

BaconLegs

Smash Journeyman
I never did play "the four swords", for the GBA because I never had anyone to play with. I thought that this was one of the stupidest things a videogame company ever did. I mean you could have at least added a single-player with a bunch of AI's.

P.S How was the four swords? was it any good? (I am asking this to people that actually did have 4 friends that could play all at once... again, stupidest idea ever!)
Heh, wasn't talking about the GBA four swords, it was the gamecube Four Swords Adventures that I had the most fun with.
Any amount of players worked, too!
Of course, getting the right amount of GBAs to connect for multiplayer was a bit of a pain.

Link_Player123

Smash Rookie
Holy S***! I looked up how much the zelda four swords was, it was $98.00 new on amazon.com! I was completly wrong thinking it was gonna be cheap, maybe I wont get the game after all...

BaconLegs

Smash Journeyman
Holy S***! I looked up how much the zelda four swords was, it was $98.00 new on amazon.com! I was completly wrong thinking it was gonna be cheap, maybe I wont get the game after all...
I didn't even know they still sold it!
I lost my copy to a thieving monster a long time ago.
That said, there's a bunch of 25$ used copies there too.

Link_Player123

Smash Rookie
I didn't even know they still sold it!
I lost my copy to a thieving monster a long time ago.
That said, there's a bunch of 25$ used copies there too.
Yea I almost had a heart attack until I went to Gamestop.com and saw they were selling it used for $17.99. So I might pick wither that or Wind Waker up when I get a little extra cash (which probably won't be until after chrismas)

BaconLegs

Smash Journeyman
Yea I almost had a heart attack until I went to Gamestop.com and saw they were selling it used for $17.99. So I might pick wither that or Wind Waker up when I get a little extra cash (which probably won't be until after chrismas)
Yeah, I was thinking about it too... the only gamecube game I still play on my Wii is... Well it's Twilight Princess.

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
Out of the several Zelda games I've played (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Four Sword Adventures, and a part of A Link to the Past), Wind Waker definitely takes the cake as my favorite of the series. There's so much to do I STILL haven't beaten, after about 4 years, while the others (minus ALttP) I've already beaten to the best of my ability.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I'm a MAJOR Legend of Zelda fan and I pains me to say this but I haven't beaten Wind Waker and up. Let alone actually play them.
I was wondering which one I should get first to catch up on my missing Zelda-ness.
My favorite game is Majora's Mask due to the fact that it broke from the cycle of "Oh go to a dungeon find out you need to save a princess, kill a boss that isn't the boss and then the final boss."
Majora was just great. The main complaints I've heard was the timelimit but once you did the backwards Song Of Time I thought I had plenty of time. Plus I love how all the characters that didn't have a big roll got an even bigger one. For example the ****ing Skull Kid became the main Villain after being just some dude who you gave a mask to.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Moreover, why does someone want realism from a fantasy game?
Realism improves the immersion. Naturally, graphics cannot save a game from its own horrible gameplay, but Zelda games are fantastic. The graphics really would add more to the experience. Realism makes the fantasy more believable. I don't play fantasy games to have a fake experience. >_>

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So what do you think of Wind Waker?

Personally, art direction and design is more important than simply striving for realism. As for "fake experience" I don't really get what you mean. Surely, you realize all video games are virtual, "fake" scenarios right? I thought the main appeal of video games was to be able to approximate doing things that you would never be able to do in real life.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Wind Waker has nicely done graphics. I think "realism" isn't as important as how well the graphics are implemented.

Also, you have to consider the gameplay. For example, Ocarina of Time was, according to the developers, made to be very immersive and realistic. This was done partly by graphics, which were limited at the time, but mostly through the interaction with the environment. You could roll into trees to knock stuff down, your sword would clank differently upon hitting different surfaces, and heck, you could even hack down sign posts if you wanted. This realistic interaction was what drew me into OoT more than anything else.

BaconLegs

Smash Journeyman
Wind Waker has nicely done graphics. I think "realism" isn't as important as how well the graphics are implemented.

Also, you have to consider the gameplay. For example, Ocarina of Time was, according to the developers, made to be very immersive and realistic. This was done partly by graphics, which were limited at the time, but mostly through the interaction with the environment. You could roll into trees to knock stuff down, your sword would clank differently upon hitting different surfaces, and heck, you could even hack down sign posts if you wanted. This realistic interaction was what drew me into OoT more than anything else.
This.
10this

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, that kind of attention to detail is an important thing that makes a Zelda game. Also in WW, knocking over plates and dishes, and in TP picking up those cute puppies just because you could : > .

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Graphics don't make a game, as I will state this to anybody who says a platform is better just because it has better graphics in their games.

HOWEVER, when a game is already good, it's hard not to want good graphics.

Windwaker did the cell-shading because they believed it would work well with the game, and I believe it did. With the next Zelda for the Wii, though, I do pray they go all out.

I have no doubt it will be a good game. So therefore, go all out on the graphics. Mario Galaxy was like sex for my eyes. I want Zelda to do better.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
So what do you think of Wind Waker?

Personally, art direction and design is more important than simply striving for realism. As for "fake experience" I don't really get what you mean. Surely, you realize all video games are virtual, "fake" scenarios right? I thought the main appeal of video games was to be able to approximate doing things that you would never be able to do in real life.
Of course games are intended to present fake scenarios, but they still need to be done in a realistic manner. The fantasy is still held together with logic and reasoning. If games are meant to be 100% fake, they should just do away with gravity and anything else that we're familiar with. >_>

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well, games are built primarily on very basic concepts, then layered over and over with less and less important features, with some of the deepest-rooted ones being gravity, health, and mobility of some sort. On top of those come the layers that provide a way for us to see and experience these simulated naturalisms that we experience with every second of our lives.

Let's look at Pong. It's quite possibly the most basic multiplayer game experience of all time and has just enough visual content to translate well with anyone. Now let's look at Smash Bros. If you were to strip down layer after layer after layer of characters, worlds,
trophies, stickers, arrrrggghh...
etc, to its very core, you would find Pong. Two opposing sides try to score the most points by getting an object into a certain zone without it entering their own. In the case of the complex-form-of-Pong-called-Smash-Bros, the ball is represented by all of the active characters, and the "goal" is anywhere off the stage. SSB is an abstracted form of soccer, or baseball, or tennis, or really any sport.

So with Zelda, I think what matters most is truly the core of it all, and that's capturing the player's desire to adventure in a foreign world to find puzzles to solve. A dungeon should be seen as one big puzzle, which is why I love the Water Temple so much - because you can't just walk through it. It's tier-structured and features advanced mechanics of puzzle solving, requiring you to use one of the largest varieties of equipment from Link's arsenal seen in the series to date. Zora Tunic, Iron Boots, Hook/Longshot, Fairy Bow, Bombs (pretty sure, been a while...), Din's Fire/Fire Arrow, the Ocarina of Time, and of course your sword and shield. It's truly a spectacle, and having been hinted at early on in the game upon first venturing to Lake Hylia and seeing the entrance at the basin, asked me to WANT to find out what it was.

So really, I think the best route to take when it comes to designing how a Zelda game looks aesthetically is to tie the surface-level elements to its roots as far as possible. If you're aiming for a more light-hearted experience, then the toon look should be used. If you're aiming for a heavier, more explorative (because face it, you'd rather explore a world full of realistic clutter than a sleek, empty, cartoonish one, and that's because we don't live in a cartoon world) experience, then the realistic approach should be chosen.

Now I need to revise a paper for my writing comp. class, so I'll leave it at that.

Realmz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that kind of attention to detail is an important thing that makes a Zelda game. Also in WW, knocking over plates and dishes, and in TP picking up those cute puppies just because you could : > .
I wanted to run away with the puppy, but alas = I could not. :( Picking up cats and dogs like an actual living being was a small, fantastic addition IMO to TP, but of course its just another of those "why wasn't it done before?" things.

Top Bottom