• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Super Mario sidescroller?

Kruton

Smash Ace
I'm sure most of you people on these boards have played, if not beaten, every Mario sidescroller that's been out. So, I find it necessary to ask, which Super Mario is your favorite?

I personally *LOVE* Super Mario Bros. 2 [Lost Levels if you must]. It is, without question, the hardest of all of them. It's replay value is great, because once you beat the game once, you can pick the game up and run through it again. ^_^

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Either 'Super Mario Bros 3' or 'New Super Mario Bros'. But you can't deny the classic either: Super Mario Bros ftw :)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Super Paper Mario is my pick. The RPG elements and quirky story made it a very enjoyable experience (though I still prefer the other two games in the PM series). I've never really been into the traditional Mario platformers.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
1. Super Mario World
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Paper Mario 64
4. SMB 3

And I picked up lost levels on the VC the other day. Man, thats tough lol

Kruton

Smash Ace
And I picked up lost levels on the VC the other day. Man, thats tough lol
Dude, I've been on the 6th world (no warps, go me) for about 5 days now haha...tooooo hard, I love it

Yeah, New Super Mario Bros. is so fun, I would love to get good at running through that game. I hate the blue shell though.

If I had to rank it would go something like:

1) Super Mario Bros. 2 [lost levels]
2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3) Super Mario World
4) New Super Mario Bros.
5) Super Mario Bros.

Never played Super Paper Mario :ohwell:

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
Idk what my favorite is. All I can say is that SMB3 had the most costumes and SMB2 and SMW had some of the hardest mario levels ever.

Excluding the original and the newer ones...SMW;SMB3 and SMB2[lost levels] would be my top 3. It's hard to pick between them.

Weed

Smash Lord
SMB3 on the sNes, the very first one (nes) is just painful to look at.. even back then..

T-major

Smash Champion
hmm... thats a pretty though one...

lets see... well, Super Mario Bros. 3 is just CLASSIC Mario goodness. such an awesome game. I prefer the Mario All-stars version of it, because you can save your game in that one. it also has major nostalgia value, which is great.

However, Super Mario World is longer, with a lot of secrets, and equally as awesome as SMB3. I feel that it built onto SMB3, while not taking anything away.

overall... I'd say I like Super Mario World the best, but not THAT much more then SMB3

also, I want to point out that I didn't count Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in this. I label it more as a Yoshi game that I do a Mario game. if I count it, It's the best one in my opinion. :D

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I actually didn't like The Lost Levels much. There's challenging, like Ninja Gaiden challenging, or Contra challenging, and then there's challenging that can be called bad game development. For example, why are Goombas, Koopas, and other things underwater, and why are Bloopers in the air? I understand that it's Nintendo's universe and they can do what they want, but that just doesn't make sense. If you take note, there's no other Mario game with those guys out of their element like that. That's because it didn't make any **** sense. I also hated the warp pipes that took you to previous worlds. At first it was kind of funny, but then it's just ridiculous.

Anyway, I would rank them like so:

1) Super Mario World
2) Super Mario Bros. 3
3) New Super Mario Bros.
4) Super Mario Bros.
5) Super Mario Bros. Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2

I kinda just limit it to platformers. Super Paper Mario is awesome, but it's an RPG, more so an Action/RPG. If it was on my list I'd probably have it at number three or four.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Super Mario Bros 3.

This game truly captures the essence of what a Mario game should be like.
I agree. It has every element that makes a Mario game great. All the suits are win, the levels memorable, and the ever so classic ending. I <3 SMB3.

Super Mario World is my next favourite, and thent eh first Paper Mario.

e319

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario World for the cape, Yoshi, Backgrounds, and Music

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I really love them all to be honest. I have most of them on more than one platform.

My favorite is probably Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Bros, Super Paper Mario or New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World is really good too. I wish that Super Mario Lost Levels on the VC was the SNES version. The Famicom version.....you can't save :\

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Ah, the Mario series. To me, the question of which is the best is hard to answer, because it means saying that the rest of them are not the best. I mean, take the original for example; it's a milestone in gaming, one of the first truly great games, and originator of one of the most recognizable lines of dialogue in pop culture (Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle), not to mention being the first video game I ever played or owned. But then there is Super Mario Bros 2 (the American version), which is the first Nintendo game I ever saw played, as well as the first I beat on my own (I wasn't very good at the original) and added color and flavor to the cast of the Mario series.

But like the Highlander, there can be only one, and for me that one will always be Super Mario Bros. 3. You just can't beat the variety and awesomeness of its powerups, the specialization of each world, the addition of elements now commonplace in the Mario series (Boos, Thwomps, Chain Chomps, ect.), and for many of those of us who are old enough to remember its release, the nostalgia meter is through the roof. All the while, it maintained a distinctly Mario feel. In short, you cannot beat the combination of the Tanooki suit, Kuribo's Shoe, and Big Land.
Mario World comes in a close second, being so much bigger, and having elements like secret exits and Yoshi going for it, but also being set back by the lack of variety in powerups (classic Mushroom, Flower, and Star are joined the Cape; a cheap rippoff on Raccoon Mario) and no specialized worlds (No Ice Land, no Water Land, no Pipe Land).

Honorable mention goes to New Super Mario Bros. for trying to bring back the platforms. Now, if they could just ditch the crappy music, replace Mario's obnoxious voice with the original jumping noise, and toss about six or seven new suits and some Mario 3 lovin' we might have a new contender.

S2

Smash Lord
Mario World for sure, with SMB3 coming in a close second.

And that's not counting any of the spinoff series like SPP, Wario, or Yoshi. I love Yoshi's island, but its technically its own series and not a Mario game. They only stuck the "Mario World 2" part on the US (and later Europe) version to sell more copies. In Japan there was never a Mario World 2.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
1) Super Mario Bros. 3
2) Super Mario World
3) Super Mario Bros.

I think SMB 3 is still one of the best and addicting games there are :)

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I agree with The rAt. SMB3 is easily the best and my most favourite Mario sidescroller ever. I've played all (or next to all) Mario games ever, and as far as the classic sidescrollers go, you can't beat SMB3.

SMW is a very close second, being the first one I beat completely without help. It also introduced Yoshi, a new staple in the Mario series, and the Koopa Klown Car, which is just awesome.

Top Bottom