• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite rapper(s), rap group(s)

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I'm not a huge fan of rap to be honest, but I do like it once in a while. I would say Jay-Z and Eminem are some of my favorites.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Tribe Called Quest
Wu-Tang Clan
Eminem
Busta Rhymes
Fu-Schnickens

Even though I don't like rap all that much.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
For the first time in a while I'm actually excited about upcoming hip hop music.

Joe Budden, Royce da 5'9, Crooked I and Joell Ortiz are forming a group called Slaughterhouse. They've already released a couple of tracks, including Slaughterhouse which I posted before, and another called Onslaught. They're apparently working on an album.

I personally can't wait, four great artists collaborating to make what should be a monster of an album!

Aanyone else heard about this and is as equally anticipating their work as I am?
I'm probably not anticipating the album as much as you do, but you piqued my interest with that song you posted.

For those who haven't heard it, here's a song of KRS One and Tonedeff owning Nelly back in 2002:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg8MHDRm2A

Blackadder

Smash Master
D12 was great. Proof was my favourite out of all of them. He could have made it really far with his talent...
I finally got into D12. They're much better than I first thought. Em and Proof are easily the best in the group. ...Well.

Until Proof died and Em stopped playing such a big part of the Dozen.

I can't say I like Kanye though. He's too full of his **** self. His recent interview where he said he's going down as the "voice of a generation"?
Just no.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
In no specific order:
Lupe Fiasco
Nas
Jay Z
Tupac
Biggie
Immortal Technique
Dr. Dre
Andre 3k
Common

:093:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
That is some intense bs.

From Slave Ships...
to Capital Hill...

WTF.

Edit: I'm sorry I brought this pile of **** into this thread.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
That is some intense bs.

From Slave Ships...
to Capital Hill...

WTF.

Edit: I'm sorry I brought this pile of **** into this thread.
Don't worry, Mr. Britney Spears is good for a laugh. He's so bad he makes Benzino look talented.

Now here's an oldie but goodie (you'll be put off at first, but give it a go, you'll love it):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7UnCYGynH-Q

Slick Rick is skilled, funny, *and* I'd say he's the one who popularized rap braggadocio practically by himself. Oh, and he's the definition of storytelling.

Albert.

Smash Master
Tech N9ne

Black Thought and his band, The Roots

BTW I hate Lil Wayne and all those sell-out commercial *******s who all claim to be the best.

Tupac is also over-rated

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman

8-Bit Suicide
This is a Hip Hop Artist known as antron, who raps over homemade 8-bit and videogame inspired beats, very similar to a more video-game version of Mindless Self Indulgence's earlier work

gONNA gET gOT
GGG, aka Trip Geezy, created a wonderful atmosphere of electronics, jazzy feeling beats, with very inventive lyrics/flows. He has a band that plays the instrumentals live, unlike rappers who have producers write the music, and then play it off their ipod/etc which is a really cool thing to see live!

Doctor Steel
This is a hip hop act you have to see to believe.. Though, it is a comedic feat, and hard to consider rap, this Hip Hop/Industrial/Opera artist raises a lot of bars of what I expect from an act.

CBZL
CBZL is the brainchild of Cody Banks, and I don't remember what ZL stands for.. But his free-to-download debut album Irrational Fashion is a poorly recorded masterpiece. This Electro-Hop musician is just a recording studio away from shocking the mainstream.

Trenton Moore
Trenton Moore is a good guy who does this hip hop and stuff.

ViVid
ViVid is the collaboration of CBZL and Trenton Moore. It is trenton moore-ish, and CBZLey.

Richee From Switchee
Richee is an egotistical prick, who raps over 8-bit music. He claims he is the pioneer of this, and also claims the internet loves him. He also claims he is the internet, and he is not going bald.

There are 1000 more projects i want to lsit, but id rather do that when i have links for you kids and kittens.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Blackadder

Smash Master
Why the hell does 50 Cent have to be in that Crack a Bottle?

The lyrics from the original version didn't mention any "platinum trio". Looks like 50 was just shoved in so he can advertise himself some more.

Christ I hate that guy.

Noraa

Smash Lord
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R271pUtWdhI&feature=related

Joe Budden and Joell Ortiz - Move On

''I'm on my grind, I'm Benjamin huntin
Was old since I was young call me Benjamin Button (Budden)'' - Joe Budden.

What more can I say? Joell went in too.

Also - Termanology - Circulate http://allhiphop.com/stories/multimedia__music/archive/2008/12/22/20761208.aspx

my boy joell always goes in....best thing he said that made me rewind was like

"I do everything my Pen States, like a Nitty Lion"

^^amazing

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Good good, now *propose* songs that you really like from those artists, and if possible, tell us why you like them!

For instance, I like this D12 song for its chorus, but I think that its content is cliché -- and I believe most people here will agree with me that this type of vulgar bragadoccio song has been done over and over again.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ONukmogUo64

-----

Oh, and Weird Al? Gotta love that "Amish Paradise" stuff.

-----

Finally, a question always imposes itself to me when I think about rap in relation to music in general: is rap becoming a self-centered type of music?

In other words, do artists that only rap about how lyrical they are contribute to a durable lack of variety in the music's content, or is it a fad that will come to pass?

Thino

Smash Master
Pretty much everyone in Def Jam ,: Method Man ( and Wu-Tang ) , Redman , Ludacris , also Nas & Jay-Z , FreewayD12 , Juelz Santana , Cam'ron , West Coast rappers in general

and yes , I'm pretty much old school

Blackadder

Smash Master
Good good, now *propose* songs that you really like from those artists, and if possible, tell us why you like them!

For instance, I like this D12 song for its chorus, but I think that its content is cliché -- and I believe most people here will agree with me that this type of vulgar bragadoccio song has been done over and over again.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ONukmogUo64]
Remembering that D12's style is heavily Horrorcore based, it's not that unexpected. But yeah, the content is pretty cliche. Can't say I dug the chorus too much myself, though.

Finally, a question always imposes itself to me when I think about rap in relation to music in general: is rap becoming a self-centered type of music?

In other words, do artists that only rap about how lyrical they are contribute to a durable lack of variety in the music's content, or is it a fad that will come to pass?
I try to stay as far away from those kind of rappers as humanly possible. It honestly really bugs me. Even worse is, I find the more likely a rapper is to brag about his lyrics, the worse the lyrics tend to be. Bah.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I recently got into Blue Scholars. Good stuff.

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice

cheap_josh

Smash Ace

I think it has always been some self-centeredness to an extent, it's nothing new. And if they're not rapping about how good they rap, it's about all of the other things they have.

Now of course there are exceptions, but I'm willing to guess that a huge majority of rappers have some self-centered and/or flat out arrogant music.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah self centered content is nothing new and to be honest it is somewhat an integral ingredient. That self confidence is required and you can see it within all the greatest to do it. There is overdoing it though.

Lately I've been really educating myself on hip hop history and really just listening and listening and listening to as much as I can. I've been listening to Big Pun real hard. I seriously think he may be the best ever.

@ Esoteric - I heard those Binary Star tunes. The voice isn't really catching my attention although I can see the talent. Think I just got to give it a few listens.

& finally, I'd love to see this thread be more active. There is just too much music and not enough time!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I am not a big fan of rap, but on occasion I listen to some DMX...which is very odd for anyone that knows me :^D

Top Bottom