• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Book???

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
I personally like to read... some of yall may not be illiterate as well... Come here to share your favorite books (not manga) and maybe suggest a few you think others should read!!!

My favorites:
Harry Potter series!!!
'Angels and Demons' and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (awesome book, bad movie!!!)
Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
and others... U???

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Oh awesome A book disscussion!

I have way too many books to list all my favorites so I'll just cover a few newer ones.

The Arrival by Shaun tan
I start out with something that has no words at all. This is a lovely Graphic Novel and I think everyone should take a look at it. Gorgeous visual and a fantastic atmosphere.

A confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Some people consider this to be a classic. It's very funny and the main character is so easy to relate to.

The Book Of Leviathan by Peter Blegvad
Another awsome grapic novel/comic series. This one contains some of the best of Leviathan

The Iron dragons daughter by Michael Swanwick
Amazing blend of sf/fantasy. Wonderful read and it finally has a sequel!

and now becuse I'm lazy a short list of authors I adore

Stephen King
Walt Whitman
Bruce Sterling
Ellen Tam
Jane Yolen
China Miéville
Neil Gaiman

People go to the Library and try out these books/ authours!
Long post is long and unnecessary I'm sorry I love books :)
Also Genrl Mills I love Hp and lotr but have never tried Angels and Demons nor The Da Vinci Code.

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
Those sound like awesome books wiscus! I've been looking for a good book to read lately and those sound like my kind of reading.

Angels and Demons is one of my favorite books. Both it and Da Vinci Code are smart, suspenceful books. Skip the movies though... They are pretty awful. But the books are great!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Eh, Da Vinci Code is fun to read but it's not really good literature. Angels and Demons is the same book with a few changes but the same basic formula. Lord of the Rings was fun to read, I read those books a while ago (long before the movies came out!). A bit on the long side, though. I'm not so much into books with such magic elements anymore, however.

I've got pretty varied interests.
In the fiction department, some of my favorites include:
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (a must read for everybody)
House of God by Samuel Shem
Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Animal Farm by George Orwell
1984 by George Orwell (though I prefer Animal Farm for its analogous content and shorter length)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (although this is more of a fictionalized non-fiction)
World War Z by Max Brooks (for the zombie lovers out there)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

In the non-fiction area, a few must reads and interesting books:
The World Is Flat by Thomas L Friedman
Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen J Dubner (I think everybody should read this one)
The J Curve by Ian Bremmer (for those interested in the right way to do foreign policy)
Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh
The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zakaria
...and a number of books related to medicine, especially by Atul Gawande (Complications, and Better)

Also a fan of David Sedaris for humor, he's a great writer.

I'm currently reading Origin of Species, Moby Dick, and This is Your Brain on Music (last one by Daniel J Levitin).

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Goodness gracious! A book thread! Finally!

I don't have one particular favourite book, but here's a couple of my favourites:

Griffin & Sabine by Nick Bantock
Post Office by Charles Bukowski
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Adverbs by Daniel Handler
The Adventures of Tintin by Herge
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Watchmen by Alan Moore
After Dark by Haruki Murakami
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
1984 by George Orwell
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
The Little Prince by Antoine Saint-Exupery
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

... to name a few.

Currently, I'm reading Smoke and Mirrors, a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Mostly all books by John Grisham >.>

If I had to pick 1, my favorite book would be The King of Torts >.>

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Mostly all books by John Grisham >.>

If I had to pick 1, my favorite book would be The King of Torts >.>
The Firm is my favorite, I like John Grisham, his earlier work is where it's at :)

integrebel

Smash Rookie
Stephen King novels :)

But mainly Fanfics based on StarFox, Initial D, or other shows/games im into.
It depends though becuase i love fanfics that gives me lots of images not just words

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
I read the dictionary by Webster. Its a good book with neat twists to keep u reading for a while. I recommend it for everyone, lol
sad fact is im not lying:(

Snail

Smash Lord
One of the best books I've ever read.

I have all of his books. They're fantastic. Definitely one of my favourite authors of all time.
He's amazing indeed, definitely one of my favourites as well. I have Kafka on the Shore, the Wind-up Bird Chronicle, A Wild Sheep Chase, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Norwegian Wood. Any recommendations? : 3

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Lots of good ones Goldie.

Lately I've read nothing but Vonnegut and Salinger because I have a lot of christmas present books I still need to read.

My favorite book is probably Fahrenheit 451 at the moment, but it changes constantly.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
He's amazing indeed, definitely one of my favourites as well. I have Kafka on the Shore, the Wind-up Bird Chronicle, A Wild Sheep Chase, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Norwegian Wood. Any recommendations? : 3
My personal favourites are After Dark, Sputnik Sweetheart, and South of the Border, West of the Sun. His short stories are really good too, and for those, I would recommend After the Quake or Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. And if you liked A Wild Sheep Chase, there's a sequel called Dance Dance Dance. :)

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Even if you don't agree with the philosophy, it's still an amazingly epic book. In my opinion, one of the greatest ever.

Other than that, the Redwall series was one of the main book series I really got into.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Pick a book from The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. They're all beautifully written with great skill, that Stroud uses to bring his characters to life. The setting and events within the trilogy allow for an examination and criticism of the abuse of administrative world. It starts with The Amulet of Samarkand, where a young apprentice magician summons a powerful demon noble spirit named Bartimaeus, in order to claim revenge on an aspiringly strong and popular magician...who is also planning sinister things. From there, the interwoven threads of selfishness and corruption begin to unravel, as rival magicians (and even another group) compete amongst each other for power in the British Parliament.

It's a brilliant read, and it has hugely inspired me and my writing. My personal favourite, I reckon, is The Golem's Eye, due to its quality pacing and the drastic leap it takes from The Amulet of Samarkand. I recommend anyone who sees any of the three books pick one up immediately. Or all of them.

Snail

Smash Lord
My personal favourites are After Dark, Sputnik Sweetheart, and South of the Border, West of the Sun. His short stories are really good too, and for those, I would recommend After the Quake or Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. And if you liked A Wild Sheep Chase, there's a sequel called Dance Dance Dance. :)
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them <3 Murakami.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I just finished reading Ender's Game, and wow. That book is just incredible. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but I truly enjoyed this book. It also manages to surpass badly-written '80s sci-fi by being written from the point-of-view of a child. Really good. I would definitely recommend it.

Also, Snail. Murakami has a memoir out, if you're interested in that sort of thing. It's called What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I haven't read it myself.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book by far. I had a copy of it, but misplaced it...probably got thrown away by somebody cause it was so beat up and terrible looking.

However I recently had a chance to raid a library of a school that my Mom works at and take as many books as I wanted. It's getting torn down and everything was free for the taking. Me and my sister compiled a huge list of books we wanted; got a ton of classics and a copy of the Catcher in the Rye. I'm reading it right now!

UberMario

Smash Master
Harry Potter: and the Chamber of Secrets.

Sorcerer's Stone is a close second.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think you mean the Philosopher's Stone, you silly Americans.

You need to read more HP, if those are your faves. They get better with time.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
You really should read all of the Ender//Shadow books, I've enjoyed them all a lot.

Also, Christopher Moore FTW.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ender's Game was good, but I think it was an odd story where these kids commit mass genocide.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Anything by Roald Dahl.
Of Mice and Men
Animal Farm
Harry Potter series, but I think I liked Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince the most.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Give Me Liberty - I don't remember the author...

and

Tom Clancy Books (excellent author, really)

and

The Second Harry Potter Book (Haven't read any more of the series...)

and

Catcher in the Rye

and

Lord of the Flies

and I guess

Animal Farm was okay...

EDIT: How did I forget...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

as for my favorite Shakespeare play (that I read)...

Let's go with

A Midsummer Night's Dream

favorite Play (still in a book)

Phantom Tollbooth

sammy p

Smash Lord
harry potter series.
from what you said taren,i hate the prisoner of azkaban, but lOVED the half-blood prince(my fav)
i also enjoyd the series of unfortunant events
and the LAST apprentice(not to be confused with the RANGERS apprentice. those get mixed up all the time!) it isnt a very well known series yet -.- .....

DrPain

Smash Cadet
1984 - George Orwell (seems to be popular)
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Howl - Allen Ginsberg
Bonfire of the vanities - Tom Wolfe
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Anything by H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft - H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft
LOTR - Of course

Dune is supposed to be really good, too.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Everything by Steinbeck, though East of Eden wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Crime and Punishment was good, I am David, and the Alchemist are among my favorites.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wasn't as good!?!?! East of Eden is my favorite book ever! I think it was easily his greatest work.
Sorry, Virg. There was just so much hype, I guess it got to me and I couldn't enjoy it.

I seem to have failed you. :(

Top Bottom