• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
FLCL/Fooly Cooly/Furi Kuri, DB, DBZ (Frieza and Cell Sagas) and Cowboy Bebop.

As for why FLCL is awesome, I will quote a site called FLCL World:

FLCL World said:
"FLCL, also known as Furi Kuri or Fooly Cooly, is a fast paced and confusing Japanese animated series. The story begins when an energetic alien girl drives up on a Vespa and hits an unsuspecting adolescent boy over the head with a left-handed bass guitar.**

This crazy hyperactive style can easily be misinterpreted, causing strongly opposing opinions of the show's value. There are many metaphorical plots and hidden meanings underneath its surface. The series is a pun in itself with suggestive and sexual metaphors. The strange situations and dialogue reflect the confusion and awkwardness of puberty (as well as society in general). FLCL is an exercise in unconventional, self-alluding anime.

The plot takes on an unconventional love story, using comedic elements to bridge the story together including satires of John Woo and South Park, not to mention allusions to other anime such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lupin III and Gundam. Essentially the series is a coming-of-age story."
**She actually hits him with the Vespa first.

That site summed it up very nicely, and saved me a lot of typing. :)

Oh, and Ghost in the Shell is awful. Half of the episodes I've seen are still frames with no movement whatsoever aside from *maybe* mouth movements, and then of course there's some talking. It's like the animators were extremely lazy or something. Sure there were some actiony scenes, but pre and post fight scenes are so **** boring it's just not worth it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
i watched the *** version with subtitles
The what version?

Oh, and Ghost in the Shell is awful. Half of the episodes I've seen are still frames with no movement whatsoever aside from *maybe* mouth movements, and then of course there's some talking. It's like the animators were extremely lazy or something. Sure there were some actiony scenes, but pre and post fight scenes are so **** boring it's just not worth it.
I agree, it's pretty slow at times. By no means does that make it a bad show. The Lord of the Rings books are generally very slow, but they're widely considered great books.

I understand if you dislike Ghost in the Shell. That's fine. I even see areas in which the series could be criticized.

But don't criticize it based on it's animation. Unless you've only watched Miyazaki films, you'll recognize that the animation in GitS is some of the best in the industry. Talking in episodes is not still frames with mouth movements. Rather, there are frequent camera angle changes, and the characters often move more than just their mouths. They do this even more than in other high profile, high budget shows, such as Fullmetal Alchemist.

The fight scene animations are simply amazing for a series, and the way the show combines 2D and 3D animation is still impressive today, years after it was released.

So, yeah, if you don't like the show because it's slow (and it is), that's fine. But criticizing the animation in GitS is absolutely ludicrous. Ghost in the Shell is famous for it's animation. You couldn't have picked a worse aspect of the show to criticize.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
The what version?

I agree, it's pretty slow at times. By no means does that make it a bad show. The Lord of the Rings books are generally very slow, but they're widely considered great books.

I understand if you dislike Ghost in the Shell. That's fine. I even see areas in which the series could be criticized.

But don't criticize it based on it's animation. Unless you've only watched Miyazaki films, you'll recognize that the animation in GitS is some of the best in the industry. Talking in episodes is not still frames with mouth movements. Rather, there are frequent camera angle changes, and the characters often move more than just their mouths. They do this even more than in other high profile, high budget shows, such as Fullmetal Alchemist.

The fight scene animations are simply amazing for a series, and the way the show combines 2D and 3D animation is still impressive today, years after it was released.

So, yeah, if you don't like the show because it's slow (and it is), that's fine. But criticizing the animation in GitS is absolutely ludicrous. Ghost in the Shell is famous for it's animation. You couldn't have picked a worse aspect of the show to criticize.
the japanese version( i typed j a p, i think it is a bad term, sorry for any one I offended).

chronofreak

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I don't even watch anime anymore, I'm just doing this for the post count.

My favorite is Cowboy Bebop, closely followed by Yu Yu Hakusho; Trigun and Samurai Champloo are after that. Go Cartoon Network.

F8X

Smash Ace
i watched the *** version with subtitles
The what version?
What urban means to say is the Japanese version, the forum censoring blocks out the first three letters in the previous ethnic word mentioned;)

Completely agree with you on the quality of the animation is amazing. I for one also enjoyed the story(s) as well. I always thought that the character development in GitS was very well done. And helped make the series what it is today.

Anyway I figured I would list my top 6 Anime selections

1.Neon Genesis Evangelion, quite simply a breathtaking achievement along any entertainment medium. The show has an amazing cast of characters, great story, awesome(literally in the true sense of the word..ok I'm still alive but still) look/style/art, fantastic music.
My only complaint is that I can't seem to get enough of it(as seen in my location). I mean Ganix is milking the series for all its worth, I mean I'm currently went through Girlfriend of Steel, Girlfriend of Steel 2 (VG(SO HARD TO FIND) & MANGA), Re-Take(which is great btw), Ikari Raising project manga, and what ever good quality stuff I can get on the series.

And I'm also pumped up for Rebuild as well(four new movies supervised by Anno himself:love: :love: :estatic: :estatic: :estatic: ) 2007 and 2008!!!!

2. Cowboy bebop.- Great Anime, and as a Musician I love the music(as a trumpet player) the Jazz, Bebop, and touches on the many different music genres is very nice. Oh and there's a great story.

3. Tie Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist- Both great Animes(even better manga)
4. Eureka Seven- The story's a little screwy but it is still a good watch.
5. Azumanga- Its just funny.

Edit: Wow I forgot to hit the submit button, sorry for the repeated info

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
GitS is a great show. sure, a little slow at times, but if you old enough to cope, and wait for the great action sequences, you'll get a lot more from it. ones of my favorites.

i also want to add that I loved all the zoids series, and the first gundam wing

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Yes GitS has good fight sequences in which the animation is very good; I don't think I ever really said the show's animation is terrible in any way. I merely mentioned that from what I've seen, the show is lacking in the "famous" animation you talk so highly of.

The dialogue segments; many of them ARE still frames with mouth movements and speech. They simply throw in one still frame after another so you get different angles. *oooh aaah* And, at least for me, there are way too many of those scenes.

Again, I did not criticize the animation, I just think there should be more of it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Yes GitS has good fight sequences in which the animation is very good; I don't think I ever really said the show's animation is terrible in any way. I merely mentioned that from what I've seen, the show is lacking in the "famous" animation you talk so highly of.
Well, for one thing, the show was pretty much the first to blend 2D and 3D animation so seamlessly. That's the reason the animation is famous.

The dialogue segments; many of them ARE still frames with mouth movements and speech. They simply throw in one still frame after another so you get different angles. *oooh aaah* And, at least for me, there are way too many of those scenes.
I actually watched some of the show on YouTube, just to see if I could be wrong about this. I wasn't.

Compare the talking scenes in GitS to those in Fullmetal Alchemist, another well respected anime series that plays on Adult Swim. I'd say that the GitS animation in those scenes is probably slightly better than that of Fullmetal Alchemist.

If you compare it to another Adult Swim show, Neon Genesis Evangelion, you'll see that it is clearly superior. In later episodes of NGE, you'll notice that a lot of the time you can't even see the character's mouth when they're speaking. This saves the animators the work of matching the mouth movement to the voice acting, which was nessesary for NGE at that point because of budget cuts.

The mouth-only movements are a trait of anime (a bad one, in my opinion). If Ghost in the Shell has more of this than most anime, that is only because it has more talking scenes than most anime. It's a problem that is prevalent throughout anime, excluding a very small number of shows and high budget movies.

Keep in mind also that you're only comparing it to (I'm guessing) the shows you can watch on Cartoon Network, which are relatively high quality compared to the anime that doesn't make it onto American television. You're judging GitS more harshly than you might if you'd seen more of the crap that passes for animation in a lot of the anime that isn't televised here.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
so we're on the same page. GitS rox.

now then, does anyone remember Cyborg 009 or Ronin warriors. when i was a kid, i lived off that

marthsword

Smash Ace
Naruto is awesome. I own almost all the Naruto graphic novels. I wish they didn't go by so fast. I also wish my teacher would accept that they do count as summer reading books. Cowboy Bebop is also awesome.

Kalas_Raven

Smash Rookie
I love english dubs! the best I've seen by far are FullMetal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I've never really seen a bad english dub, though they changed a lot of the stuff in Digimon to make it funny. I still love that show though. ^_~

Has anyone else ever heard of Gunslinger Girl? It's one of the BEST anime out there!! ^_^

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
BTW while we're on the subject of anime what do you guys think of english dubs?
I generally find that they're lower quality than the Japanese voice acting. The Japanese take it more seriously than Americans. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule, such as Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and the Miyazaki movies, where the dubs were about as good or better. Usually, though, I prefer to watch the subs.

EDIT: And do not watch Azumanga Daioh dubbed. It's an incredibly funny series, but the dub voices just kill it. Chiyo-chan's voice is just awful, but the rest are all pretty bad too.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
DUBS are col, as long as they actually try and stay on the story (IE not too muc hblood cut out, if any at all). Sry to say this, but when it comes to anime, Americans are *******. Sure, we can show the rauchiest stuff on PPV or NC 17 on the movie channel, but they have to cut out a bunch of stuff that would look great, which is also the reason I'm tired of kids companies' taking the contracts to show them. That is like taking away all the action from a movie like Mission Impossible.

although, some like Full Metal, Bebop and such are pretty good, but someppl just dont take it seriously as say other cartoons. sometimes the voice acting in anime is overshadowed by cartoon made in america, say like i dunno, Darkwing Duck or Justice League

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
DUBS are col, as long as they actually try and stay on the story (IE not too muc hblood cut out, if any at all). Sry to say this, but when it comes to anime, Americans are *******. Sure, we can show the rauchiest stuff on PPV or NC 17 on the movie channel, but they have to cut out a bunch of stuff that would look great, which is also the reason I'm tired of kids companies' taking the contracts to show them. That is like taking away all the action from a movie like Mission Impossible.
Well, I'm not a big fan of that, honestly.

However, what can really piss me off is when a company like 4Kids gets it's hands on something like One Piece. 4Kids edited that show to crap. They cut out large portions from the anime (even entire story arcs), as well as doing extreme, inconsistent and totally nonsensical editing of the content of the parts they did show.

The only dub I can think of that's worse is the Card Captors' dub, where they actually tried to change the main character of the show, just by splicing together preexisting animation.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
they ***** One Piece, which I hated. The only reason I watch(US dub)i is because I cant go out and buy the manga, which I on a whole other level. Usually i "get" the Japanese version w/subtitles. They sucked on the arcs, and just spit out crap. at least they diidnt totally jack up naruto, or i'd have nothing to watch.

Kalas_Raven

Smash Rookie
Yeah! I know what your talking about. I myself hate One Piece but my cousin talks about it to me A LOT and he told me that they edited the names of Luffy's attacks, made it no blood, and even CHANGED the animation compleatly. My cousin told me that the characters were eating a Japanies food (i forget what) and 4Kids changed it to COOKIES!! OMG! That makes me SO MAD!!!! >.< 4kids is HORRABLE! I wish Funamation did Yu-Gi-Oh and even One Piece. Funimation is AWESOME!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I myself hate One Piece
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the show (in either language), but the manga is great. It's my favorite manga series.

but my cousin talks about it to me A LOT and he told me that they edited the names of Luffy's attacks, made it no blood, and even CHANGED the animation compleatly. My cousin told me that the characters were eating a Japanies food (i forget what) and 4Kids changed it to COOKIES!! OMG!
Those changes are annoying, but they don't bother me nearly as much as the fact that they screwed up the plot by eliminating whole story arcs from the anime.

Ma Moi

Smash Cadet
Freakin Death Note... insane... crazy twists and it makes my mind think. Light and L are just awesome. Then there's Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop. =) Too many more to list.

Ami

Smash Ace
Has anyone else ever heard of Gunslinger Girl? It's one of the BEST anime out there!! ^_^
I really like Gunslinger Girl. I watched it at an anime con last year, and I just fell in love with it. I've only seen four episodes, though ...

GTO, chobits, and Hellsing are definitly the best. Also GITS is pretty good too. BTW while we're on the subject of anime what do you guys think of english dubs?
Please don't get me started on English dubs.

EDIT: And do not watch Azumanga Daioh dubbed. It's an incredibly funny series, but the dub voices just kill it. Chiyo-chan's voice is just awful, but the rest are all pretty bad too.
That's as true as it can get. "Cooking is so fun! Cooking is so fun! ... " Rrrgh, my ears ... I find myself laughing more - or cringing - at their voices than their actions in the English version.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
samurai 7, gungrave, and Basilisk are my favorites so far. I haven't finished hellsing yet, so i don't know.

Wasn't really a big fan of naruto. 5 episodes of story then 10 fillers, then another 3 episodes of story then 15 fillers. It gets annoying after a while.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Though Trigun is my favorite anime, I also really like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note.

Fullmetal Alchemist has got the emotion put into it, which Death Note is suspenseful. (I haven't read the manga.)

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
My favorite anime is Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Choujikuu Yousai Macross). That said, I'm a huge robotech and Macross fan. I've seen everything robotech and all of the Japanese animes that Robotech altered.

SUGGESTION: If you are a robotech fan, watch Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. It's the best thing since Macross Zero.

I've also seen and really enjoyed many other series... I'm on #42 now as I'm about to start watching this overrated series called Death Note (just kidding, but I have high expectations after all this talk about it being so great).

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
DBZ, its probably not the best but i watched it every day as a kid and now i'm trying to watch it again by downloading a 60GB torrent of every single episode. dose anyone know any fourms for it?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Humph, I don't go for your fighting-action series like Naruto or DBZ anymore (I watched plenty of DBZ when I was younger like everyone else).

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is my favorite, but almost anything by Miyazaki or Kon is gold.

Sandy

Smash Champion
DBZ, its probably not the best but i watched it every day as a kid and now i'm trying to watch it again by downloading a 60GB torrent of every single episode. dose anyone know any fourms for it?
DBZ is hilarious! They sound constipated when they "power up".

My favorite anime:

Yu Yu Hakusho

G Gundam

Naruto (they cuss alot in the JP version :) )

Phoenix Wright

valtiel

Smash Journeyman
I like the first season of sailor moon, and DBZ, fullmetal alchemist, bleach, naruto, trinity blood, and eureka 7, yu yu hakusho they r all my favs.

TAK$

Smash Ace
in no order:

Love Hina, the manga version mostly, the show is cool also, love the story line for both, even though the story line has the same concept, the way the story goes is way different in the manga compared to the show. Actually I might even like this one more than the rest.

Death note, manga = ftw on death note, but the show is pretty good, but I always like the mangas better most of the time.

Trigun, I like the show and manga for this one, they did and amazing job with this one.

Samurai deeper, manga ftw!, after reading the manga the show is confuzzling kind of, but the show is still hella good.

Revolutionary Girl Utena, both anime and manga, i always prefer manga and this is no exception, but the show is great also. I have no idea how i forgot this one, i was even watching it as i was posting here, reguardless, deserves a spot in my top 5.

i couldn't pick only one, i had to do a top 5 lolz.

edit: replaced gunslinger girl with utena.

SHINE FX

Smash Apprentice
Rurouni Kenshin (mostly the manga): best drawings ever, best story ever. No third arc for anime but still good to where it left off
Bleach (well, now the series seems to be drifting), Naruto (it's gotten better again)

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Finally got around to making a general log of all the animes I've seen.
You can find it here.
Under all of the animes I've finished, I've left my rating. Perhaps some day I'll get to adding comments as well.

Judicant

Smash Rookie
I like too many to pick one o.O

I just finished watching Monster, and i must say its amongst my favorites...

If i had to choose one above em all... i may just have to pick Ergo Proxy
I loved the story ( i dunno journeys are intriguing ) and the soundtrack fit the series perfectly!

I'd probably have to put em all into categories :ohwell:

When it comes to comedy the best is Cromartie High School... i recommend this to anyone who wants to laugh indefinitely.

Air and Kanon are great for drama and tears.

I'll leave it at that before it never ends

Top Bottom