• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
I encourage anyone to see RahXephon. I actually like this over evangelion and the main character is no where near as annoying. Eva is still awesome, but I just fell in love with this one. That is all. animeyume.org has it as .ogm and .mvk files. It has the movies also.

Thanks to Crono and Cory. I remembered this thread in the early days mentioning this. I actually then went off and asked around about it. Truly greatness indeed.

Shade520

Smash Apprentice
Whats the story behind these two animes? (Eva and RahXephon)
I have heard alot about Eva, but nothing that would make me want to go out and watch it...and RahXephon I haven't heard of till now

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
They are phycological anime with mecha disguises. I havnt seen all of RahXephon yet but it looks to be pretty good.

And Evangelion is the greatest anime series of all time. I know because when I bought the box set a little paper came with it that said those exact words. They are great, watch them. Unless you only like shonen anime, in which I would say stay away.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
They are both ****ing awesome. I swear it, and so does he :mad: Eva may be the greatest, and to me it is a masterpiece ;) but I personally liked RahXephon better. If you get the chance, watch them both... though... if you don't have a friend with Eva... you may have a hard time getting to watch it unlike RahXephon which you can download.

Ender : When my friend bought it, it had that same paper. I kinda laughed :cool:

Brilliante Man

Smash Rookie
In front of a computer terminal... somewhere
if you ask me, my personal favorite is outlaw star. I like the characters in the story and its just lighthearted enough to have some fun. kinda like trigun.

just one question for all the Berserk fans... is there more to it than I've seen? the story seems fine and the character development is there, but I just wasn't satisfied with the ending. could someone explain it to me?

dmac

Smash Champion
eva is probably one of the best series evar, its pretty **** good. the ending is so f'd up you'll wanna castrate yourself though. worth watching!

Geo

Smash Ace
Hmm not sure if this is the place to put this but I don't want to start another topic.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when Mamimi and the Terminal core are eating all the scooters and cars in FLCL??

Umm yeah.

Thanks in advanced.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Links rock.

I have all the music from FLCL...but it's not labelled...and even then I wouldn't know which song plays in that sequence. My brother has FLCL on DVD however...I could watch it, listen to the soundtrack, and then look up the track names.

But...that would take a ton of time, you should just buy it.

FLCL MUSIK!

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Originally posted by Brilliante Man

just one question for all the Berserk fans... is there more to it than I've seen? the story seems fine and the character development is there, but I just wasn't satisfied with the ending. could someone explain it to me?
Yes. If I recall correctly, the Berserk manga goes a lot further with the story. The anime guys just tried to choose a decent place to end it since they weren't going to do the whole thing. You should definitely check out the manga if you want to see the rest of the story, I've heard it's really good.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
My personal favorites are Rahxephon, GTO, and The GetBackers, im not done seeing the entire series of the getbackers but the action it has is hot. Rahxephon has one of the best story lines if seen in many animes.

dmac

Smash Champion
when i'm trying to get people in berserk, i usually give them the anime first, i think it unfolds the story a little better. then i ask if they want more i'll give them the manga hehe. the manga is awesome, continues the story(theres about twice the amount of story as there was in the anime), is a ton more violent. berserk is awesome.

right now im watching last exile, bleach, beck, samurai champloo, and detective conan(subbed)

Ragnarok503

Smash Apprentice
I don't watch a whole lot of anime but I have seen like the first 10 episodes of Evangelion and I really like it. I can't stand animes where they're constantly doing goofy crap like having giant sweatdrops go down their forehead and this one seems to have little of that. And the little that it does have is usually done in a way so its actually funny so its cool with me.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I know what you mean about the goofy Anime style being annoying.

I almost dislike some parts of Trigun because it gets too goofy.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
That was the only problem I had with Tri-gun. It was actually kind of hard to start watching the series the first time because of how biased I was at the time to that style. Since then I've come to like in more in certain animes. Like Dragon Half.

Now theres a good anime.

Ragnarok503

Smash Apprentice
Well, what would you guys suggest for a non-goofy type anime?

I tried to watch a couple episodes of Naruto because it sounded cool, but I just couldn't do it....

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Evangelion or cowboy bebop.

Also, the manga "ragnarok" is cool, and your name reminds me of it.

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
well, when i was 7-11 it was DBZ, but nowadays u couldn't even pay me to sit through an episode of GT (on second thought, i would proably sit throught it for at least $15)

But right now my favs of all time are: Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Gundam (origional one) and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (the series is overall boring to me, but i just love this movie) (still havnt seen the final 5 episodes)
Honorable Mention: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (i never actually seen Ghost in the Shell in its entirety, yet i can get enough of this show to enjoy it) and Outlaw Star (still havnt seen the last 5 episodes though...)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zankoku na tenshi no youni,
Shounen yo shinwa ni nare...

Kimi ga ima boku wo sasaete
Boku ga ima kimi mo sasaeru...

Gomen ne suna o janakute
Yume no nakanara i eru... (Long time since I saw that in writing, I could be remembering the lyrics wrong)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Um right.

I am not sure what the last two posts were about, but please don't reduce the topic to spam. I hate it when that happens, personally.

ANTX

Smash Ace
sorry. i meant to say that kimi wa petto was very good, even for shojo.
and that momo-chan is the best character in anime ever.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Rozen Maiden... has anyone seen this. I really enjoyed this one a lot. I never heard of it till last week when my friend gave it to me. It's just awesome/

King Genius XIII

Smash Lord
I'd have to say FLCL by far, is not only my favorite anime, but my favorite piece of animation.

The art, the humor, the insanity, the music, the story... It's just so perfect.

And Canti... Canti is the best robot ever.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Anime critic

Here are the list on anime that ive watched. Golden Boy, Dragonball Z, Spirited Away, Princess Monokoke, Trigun, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop

Rank best to worst.

Cowboy Bebop
Reason: This is the most astonding animes ive seen. Everything is flawless. Cinematography, jazz film noir, character development. The fact that its film noir anime immediately gives it the near perfect rating.

Spirited Away: This is **** good anime. Create a beauiful environment similar to the Wizard of Oz. Made me want to live in their world. I thought it was an allegory of the Great Depression and how human greed in the 20s resulted in the mass over flow and the depression. The train scene "btw the most memorable scene" looked so much like the 30s. Plus much more evidence. No face, gold, etc. Also created a parallel soultion. Instead of world war 2. The solution was peace and self sacrifice. Amazing anime

Ghost in the Shell: Hell yea this was good anime. Great cinematography, beautiful environment, deep story. Def watch it

Princess Monokoke: It was good, but i didnt like it. Creates a great world. But the ending just pissed me off. Despite the fact that that women treated humans kindly, her disrespect for nature shoulda cause her death at the end. She didnt die. Thus im pissed.

Akira: I dont see why this anime is critically acclaimed. Despite the flawless cinematography and mysterious environment (which I liked). There was almost no character development. The story made no sense. The original manga was 2000 pages long. Katsuhiro Otomo crunched it into a 2 hour long movie. I dont understand y Tetsuo wanted to kill his friends just because he was made fun of. Nothing added up.

Trigun: This anime was a piece of crap. I'm sorry but the ending was terrible. Vash was an unrealistic character put in an unrealistic position. I mean what kind of person who hates vash so much that he is willing to have vash kill him? no. Legato was so out there that it pissed me off. Vash's choice to save Knives was stupid. The anime ends without think of the consequences. A person like knives does not desearve life. I also hated it when they jumped around dodging bullets. That was ********.

Golden Boy: U might as well watch hentai. Its better.

Dragonball Z: Episode 1-26 were amazing. If u like anything after that then dont talk about good anime ever again. It takes forever to do anything. Hear is a great quote from urbandictionary. "1) Story that is VERY slow at progressing. One example had the planet blowing up. They had about 4 minutes to get off it or they'd all die, however it didn't blow up until about 10-15 30 minute episodes later.

2) Story about a bunch of "heros" that try to save the world but fail spectacularily and must watch the world get blown up. Then they just make a wish for the world to be restored and then they have "saved the world."

3)A story with a plot that doesn't go much beyond "the most powerful warrior in the universe" trying to destroy the universe only to be defeated. Then some guy that is stronger and also impossible to beat shows up and is beaten. Repeat this proccess and you have Dragonball Z.

4) Show about Dragonballs, not sure what the "z" is for.

5) Anime in which a bunch of guys fight, valiantly die, and then come back to life so they can die again when the next invincible guy comes
1) Wierd blue guy: GOKU THE PLANET IS GOING TO BLOW IN 4 MINUTES! (10 EPISODES LATER) THE PLANET'S GOING TO BLOW ANY SECOND NOW!

2) Goku: I can't believe he blew up the earth, I mean they've already done that 2 times and the moons been blown up at least 50 times.

3) "Frieza is the most powerful warrior in the universe!" "Cell is the most powerful..." "Buu is..." etc

4) We must try to collect those dragonballs or our viewers might start to leave "z's" (sleeping)

5) NOOOOOOOOOO! KRILLIN JUST DIED FOR HIS 4TH TIME!

How many saiyans does it take to screw a lightbulb?

Just one but it takes five episodes"

Worst anime ever.

SAU Saga

Smash Lord
Wolf's Rain

I don't know if this qualifies as anime... but oh well... I love it either way.

And I don't really know what it is about it... when I first saw the previews on Adult Swim I was like... wth? But a month later I found myself staying up late to watch it everyday.

To me it's almost artistic and has some deep meaning... but I'm not exactly sure what yet.

And I love the switch between seeing them as wolves vs. human.... very very interesting!

Love it.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Yes, wolf's rain is anime. It was made in Japan and is animation.

Voleum, you sure seem angry at dragon ball z. Did it kill your parents or something? Your reviews are ok, and you are entitled to your opinion, but you just seem like you are out to prove something.

dmac

Smash Champion
the z was added on beacuse toriyama was intending to finish the series with the killing of raditz. that was intention at least! the z was meant to imply that this was the end, but he was basically given a ton more money to continue the series.

the anime seems a bit stretched out(yeah i'll agree the episodes were dragged on, but the source material is very fast paced and is awesome :) (the comic)

Ashura Fan

Smash Apprentice
Cowboy Bebop is probably my pick.

Trigun was okay, but the manga is much better, albeit a lot more graphic. However, I lost interest after I checked out the (US) Naruto manga (I heard is was butchered by Viz, but I still think its pretty good.)

The Street Fighter II Animated movie was probably one of the best anime movie that I've seen, though I'll admit I haven't seen a lot.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah...that hateful rant about DBZ is a little uncalled for. The series is slow, yeah ok, but it's not terrible by any means. Goku is a real character when you really think about it, you can watch him grow up through the series and it is interesting to watch him become a person. Z is definately not as good as Dragon Ball...true...but both DB and DBZ are awesome compared to DBGT.

Gawd...I hate GT. Bandai always ruins things.

"Well, what would you guys suggest for a non-goofy type anime?"

I suggest Boogiepop Phantom!

The name seems silly but it is a sci-fi horror series. It is very odd...but amazing. Dark as hell.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Originally posted by dan smith
...but it's not terrible by any means.
[/B]
... you're joking... right?

and as for boogiepop, yeah, it's pretty good and really dark. the only complaint i'd have against it is that the ending felt a little bit rushed, but i think that might've been because they ran out of budget/time/something because it was pretty well paced up until then.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah, the ending seemed more like an awkward beginning...

...and...I liked DBZ when I was in 7th grade...so I can't say it's awful. I have too many good memories. The extremely black man "Mr. Popo" was so badas
s!

$sD

Smash Ace
It Seems we all just floated away from DBZ
GT was just aweful it had so much potential.

But as for my favorite anime?

cant really say inuyasha i finished it way back ago
so ill say Hellsing or DNAngel one of those since i watch them both equally

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by dan smith

I suggest Boogiepop Phantom!

The name seems silly but it is a sci-fi horror series. It is very odd...but amazing. Dark as hell.
[/B]
Loved it. Really weird, and can't really put my finger on why I liked it so much though. My friend just had the boxset on DVD, and when I was at his house the other day I borrowed it because I remember reading about it in this thread.

But yeah, I highly suggest watching this to anyone who likes a "non-goofy" anime.

marth/roy

Smash Apprentice
my favorite animes are Neon genisis evangelion, Dual, and sadly enough initial D ( dont ask why im just into it for no reason lol).

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I finally invested in buying RahXephon, I haven't watched it yet. I don't think it will be good enough to pry me from evangelion but it looks interesting. I'll post again 26 episodes in the future. (I didn't buy the movie but I'll probably pick it up somewhere.)

EDIT:
Valoem, how can you can the dragonball saga the worst ever? It's very possibly the best.

Top Bottom