• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) Brawl Tourney: Sunday, April 20th (No Items)

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Jason did the math for ya.
Simply put, if your still gonna stick with items, might as well not do a tournament at all.

I, like everyone else, wont be attending. I'd rather take the opportunity to clean my room or something :/

Jobe

Smash Cadet
there won't be items at evo man. competitive smash = no items. i play sf3 at the ffa like every day and this is making the arcade look bad to the smash community

Arlieth Tralare

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've been busy as all hell with running another West Toast. This is the first time I've read through this thread since the last time I posted which was probably a week ago. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so I'll make this short and sweet:

Since we still have a full week before the tournament, I'll make this announcement now: Items will be OFF. If Shoryuken.com wants to run Evolution with items, we can simply point to this thread, as well as the videos and results of the previous tournament and leave it at that.

All other rulings stay in place (including banning Norfair and Skyworld).

One final question: If we were to hold a second tournament on 4/20, would you prefer it to be a Melee Singles or a Brawl Team tournament?

PS: I probably won't be able to check on this until Thursday, so direct your questions to jocund50 in the meantime and he'll let me know what's going on.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've been busy as all hell with running another West Toast. This is the first time I've read through this thread since the last time I posted which was probably a week ago. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so I'll make this short and sweet:

Since we still have a full week before the tournament, I'll make this announcement now: Items will be OFF. If Shoryuken.com wants to run Evolution with items, we can simply point to this thread, as well as the videos and results of the previous tournament and leave it at that.

All other rulings stay in place (including banning Norfair and Skyworld).

One final question: If we were to hold a second tournament on 4/20, would you prefer it to be a Melee Singles or a Brawl Team tournament?

PS: I probably won't be able to check on this until Thursday, so direct your questions to jocund50 in the meantime and he'll let me know what's going on.
Melee singles. Definitely.

UltraDavidSRK

Smash Cadet
Wow. I was gonna travel all the way from SD for this since Winter Drumline's finished and I'm free, but items on? Forget that. Brawl's Singles sucks enough due to camping enough as it is.
Haha holy crap, guy, could it be more obvious that you've never given items a serious chance? Items force you to control as much space as possible and limit the amount of space your opponent controls, and you can't do that by camping. And when an item actually spawns, especially a dominant item like a smash ball or a dragoon, are you gonna sit back and let your opponent pick it up or run up and fight him for it? Like, come on. There are arguments against items, and I think some items are stupid, but yours is not one of them.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
hey hey, looks like the people's voice has been heard! good work everyone

i should bring cupcakes just in case people show up expecting items to be ON

Hasuko

Smash Rookie
hey hey, looks like the people's voice has been heard! good work everyone

i should bring cupcakes just in case people show up expecting items to be ON
Translation: we whined like children until we got what we wanted.

Congratulations! :laugh:

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Translation: we whined like children until we got what we wanted.

Congratulations! :laugh:
OMG lol i can't believe you got a Smashboard account oh no lol. why dont you tell them the "len" story :D.

btw ; i think we need gamecubes now for the tournament or the game.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
You're welcome for making the tournament better =P Nah jk it's cool that you actually changed it. Also it won't matter what we're playing on Sunday, it's 4/20 LOL

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
Fack you All, now i do wonder how many people are going to come to this tourny...oh boy my voice is going to die :/

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Haha holy crap, guy, could it be more obvious that you've never given items a serious chance? Items force you to control as much space as possible and limit the amount of space your opponent controls, and you can't do that by camping. And when an item actually spawns, especially a dominant item like a smash ball or a dragoon, are you gonna sit back and let your opponent pick it up or run up and fight him for it? Like, come on. There are arguments against items, and I think some items are stupid, but yours is not one of them.
LOL @ this guy. He picks me in the midst of >9000 other smashers shouting "Burn the items!"

Whatever. I didn't present an argument against items (it was more against camping than it was against items) and I don't need to. Thousands of people have already done that for me. Open your eyes, man.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'm going to try to get here way way way way earlier before the tourney to get in some serious ITG action.

Hopefully the DDR pad gets fixed ... someday.

--GCII

edit: btw Arly I still have the bracket from the previous tourney, so I'll be bringing that for you.

jocund50

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to try to get here way way way way earlier before the tourney to get in some serious ITG action.

Hopefully the DDR pad gets fixed ... someday.

--GCII

edit: btw Arly I still have the bracket from the previous tourney, so I'll be bringing that for you.
Whats wrong with the DDR pad?

I believe we're going to start Brawl at 2:00pm and Melee at 6:00pm. Arlieth will announce it later this week.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Both sides of the DDR pad have a lot of faulty sensors. I'm guessing it just needs a thorough cleaning and everything's fine. It wouldn't take more than an hour to do it (I've cleaned a lot of DDR pads for tournaments, and each pad took about an hour to do a basic cleaning).

--GCII

Top Bottom