• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fallacies in Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
There isn't anything special or mystical to learn or "understand" about death. Death is a completely natural, and, to be honest, ordinary process and state of being. It's rather life that's the extraordinary aspect of our bodies' existence, the ability to move under its own power and discretion, to keep itself in a stasis that's independent of the environment that surrounds it, and to interact and manipulate the world in such a fashion that normal, inert matter could not. To make it seem like death is a difficult thing to grasp that implicates thing beyond our comprehension is not true in the slightest. It's just a matter of whether people are willing to accept it or not. No need to put death on some sort of pedestal.

Either way, god's actions hardly seem to grant him the characteristics of "benevolent" and "loving". Besides, in a way, wasn't god lying to Abraham about killing Isaac? Yet doesn't the bible also dictate that it's impossible for god to lie (which also goes against the notion of omnipotence)?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/god_lie.html

The first passage is saying this: (in my perception) "There is no afterlife. Death is just.... death." Well in order to make that claim, first you have to PROVE to me that there is no God. It's not a foregone conclusion. It's rather arbitrary to just come out and say that and expect me to believe it. That's totally from an Atheists point of view, and it can't be regarded as fact arbitrarily.

God doesn't lie. It's impossible for God to lie because he is perfect. Perfect isn't a "limit" to omnipotence because he always could lie if he wanted to (although it would never happen, it's just in theory). God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son is not a lie, it was a command. The command was deemed unnecessary as soon as God saw that Abraham was obedient.

I'm going to refute this before it comes. I'm now expecting another highly technical definition argument, and it sounds like this: "If God is omnipotent like you say, why did he need to test Abraham anyways? Maybe he's not omnipotent!" The answer is that the test also affected Abraham, and it affects anyone who reads the story in the Bible, and so it's not as if it was redundant.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Allowing death and causing death are 2 different things.
if it costs you nothing to save someone's life and you choose not to, you basically killed the person.

NOBODY has ANY reason to believe ANYTHING god says to them other than "cause i was brainwashed and can't think for myself"

"god can't lie" isn't even a fact in christianity. because guess who told the people that god can't lie? god did. and he could very well have been lying when he told them. all you can do is have faith that he can't lie and have faith that he wants the best for us. because there is NO evidence ANYWHERE (not even in the bible) that god really loves us. some of us may read the bible and believe god loves us, but that could only be because we don't have all of the information. we could be god's kobe beef.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
The first passage is saying this: (in my perception) "There is no afterlife. Death is just.... death." Well in order to make that claim, first you have to PROVE to me that there is no God. It's not a foregone conclusion. It's rather arbitrary to just come out and say that and expect me to believe it. That's totally from an Atheists point of view, and it can't be regarded as fact arbitrarily.
Well, I would actually have to say that you would have to prove that there is some aspect of our body or mind that continues to operate in such a fashion as to have a conscience mind after death. I have also talked about how it's impossible to prove beyond a doubt that something does not exist, especially a being that theists try as hard as they can to have him as vaguely defined as possible, though I don't remember if that was directly with you or not. It is rather the person that claims something does exist that must bring the proof of existence, and I have to say that the proof of a god is rather lacking. If it can't be proved he does exist, then the obvious conclusion is that he does not. Proof is a real, tangible piece of evidence, that can be shown to others, tested, and verified. "I feel it's true in my heart" and similar statements is not proof.

As the matter of fact stands at the moment, the current understanding of the human conscience is that it depends upon a working and functioning brain. If the brain ceases to function, so does any aspect of consciousness. To make an analogy, our consciousness is akin to a (very large and complicated) piece of code running on a computer. The code needs the CPU in order to be translated into anything and to do anything. Without a functioning CPU, the code cannot run. It's not simply an "atheists" point of view, it's what the medical, chemical, and physical evidence and understanding show. To call it a "point of view" or an opinion is a complete misrepresentation of the position. As far as any serious understanding of human physiology and physics goes, it is pretty much fact, as there is nothing else to prove otherwise.

God doesn't lie. It's impossible for God to lie because he is perfect. Perfect isn't a "limit" to omnipotence because he always could lie if he wanted to (although it would never happen, it's just in theory). God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son is not a lie, it was a command. The command was deemed unnecessary as soon as God saw that Abraham was obedient.
If it's "impossible" for god to lie, it means he could never do it, even if he wanted to. If the words chosen for the passages were anything less definite, you might have a bit of a case there, but an impossibility is an impossibility. There is no "theoretical" he could do it if he wanted to but doesn't. He's functionally not omnipotent (nor, I would argue, potent about much of anything).

Also, "perfect" is one of those nebulous words that never has a precise definition, and varies so much in the context and connotation that it's used in. What does a "perfect" being entail? He could be "perfectly" manipulative or he could be a "perfect" liar as much as any other sort of "perfect" attribute. I hope you can choose a more definite and clear term to use, as it wouldn't be very productive to argue over the definition and use of such vague terms.

I'm going to refute this before it comes. I'm now expecting another highly technical definition argument, and it sounds like this: "If God is omnipotent like you say, why did he need to test Abraham anyways? Maybe he's not omnipotent!" The answer is that the test also affected Abraham, and it affects anyone who reads the story in the Bible, and so it's not as if it was redundant.
Ok, what is the purpose of this story? What are we "supposed" to interpret from it? I have read this story many times, and even from the very first time I heard it, none of my interpretations of it has been anything that could be construed as positive or constructive.

Peeze

Smash Master
if it costs you nothing to save someone's life and you choose not to, you basically killed the person.
I hope you don't believe that.
If i tell you dont mess with Pablo cause Pablo just got out of jail and he has a short temper and you decide to ignore that warning, its not my fault you get your *** beat.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I hope you don't believe that.
If i tell you dont mess with Pablo cause Pablo just got out of jail and he has a short temper and you decide to ignore that warning, its not my fault you get your *** beat.
To be fair, the situation you're describing isn't quite the one that arrowhead was probably implying at.

Peeze

Smash Master
You said not acting=killing basically correct?
However you left out the fact that a warning was given first. If failing to heed leads to your death, then i didnt cause that. I could save you from dying, but then what merit would my warnings have if i just saved you. Its like your parents saying if u drink i'll ground you, but never ground you, the chances of you taking them seriously or listening to them is less likely.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
I would agree that not acting=killing in situations that cost you nothing. In the Pablo case you did act by warning him. Warning=action.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
wut? God's not a human last time I checked... Doesn't apply. I've never heard anyone call God a hypocrite before.
Well, then how come the Bible totes around the fact that we're "His children?" Don't you think he should set a better example, being a proverbial "Father" of the human race? Many of the situations in the Bible that involved God raining death down on a person or a group of people could have been absolved in much simpler and more productive ways, especially if he is as omnipotent as the Good Book implies.

Sooooooooo...

Why the death? Why the carnage? Why Sodom and Gomorra? Why Revelations? Why the Flood? And don't dodge these questions with "God's motives are inscrutable and we can't know." Tell me why there was and has to be these things.

Smooth Criminal

Peeze

Smash Master
I would agree that not acting=killing in situations that cost you nothing. In the Pablo case you did act by warning him. Warning=action.
aha. So god warned Adam and Steve if they ate the fruit they would die. Action. Therefore not God's fault. Should he take action? Yes. Will he take action? I believe so, but i'm not here to preach., just play smash.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
However you left out the fact that a warning was given first. If failing to heed leads to your death, then i didnt cause that. I could save you from dying, but then what merit would my warnings have if i just saved you. Its like your parents saying if u drink i'll ground you, but never ground you, the chances of you taking them seriously or listening to them is less likely.
oh, so it's okay to let someone die because they didn't believe you

my point still stands, because you still haven't directly addressed it.

Peeze

Smash Master
If your parents say don't smoke or else you will be grounded and you smoke but they don't ground you, they lied. God can't lie(we can argue that point but based on the bible), therefore he had to let them die, to uphold his standard of justice. Like a judge letting a thief go free, with no punishment, the thief is probly gonna steal again, and think the judge is a joke.
That was your point, not acting=killing, how haven't i addressed it?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
It does not seem like god ever outright or directly killed them, or that Adam and Eve immediately died from eating the "fruit". Also, god says that "man has become like one of us", which seems to imply that not only are there multiple gods, but that man has knowledge and mental alacrity on the level of these "gods".

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/3.html
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/4.html

So, it seems that god just meant that Adam and Eve would not be immortal and would eventually just die, which seems redundant since they already seem to be mortal anyway (which is doubly obvious since the idea of "living forever" is an impossibility).

Also, if god really didn't want them to eat the fruit, couldn't he have put a guard on it to prevent them from doing so like he does with the "tree of life" after they eat the first "fruit"? Or couldn't he, you know, just have placed the trees somewhere else entirely? Or have made it that snakes can't talk (lol)?

Also, lol, Adam and Steve.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
If your parents say don't smoke or else you will be grounded and you smoke but they don't ground you, they lied. God can't lie(we can argue that point but based on the bible), therefore he had to let them die, to uphold his standard of justice. Like a judge letting a thief go free, with no punishment, the thief is probly gonna steal again, and think the judge is a joke.
That was your point, not acting=killing, how haven't i addressed it?
this doesn't have anything to do with what i said, but you don't know that god can't lie. if you read my other post, there is no evidence going either way.

you're addressing whether it's right to let someone die or not. i wasn't. all i'm saying is that if it costs you nothing to save someone's life and you don't, you basically killed that person.

say you were given two buttons. one says "kill" and the other says "save." someone else was given a different set of buttons. one says "leave to die" and the other says "save"

what's the difference between pressing the "kill" and "leave to die" button?

RDK

Smash Hero
Yeah, you're forgetting the enormous part about how God controls everything and created everything, ergo he's responsible for every single thing that happens ever, whether he was the direct causation or not.

Me warning you about Pablo kicking your *** if you bother him is a ridiculous analogy to apply to God, seeing as how I didn't specifically design Pablo to be the way he is.

i miss snex.. not gonna lie
Snex is an atheist. I thought you despised us? :p

D

Deleted member

i don't despise atheists, i just don't want to be categorized as one. it's a negative connotation for me :)

however, snex's flames were enjoyable. this thread needs more hatred. like, "hey you stupid mormon idiot, are you so ****ing blind that you can't realize a b or c??"

:)

if you atheists are as heartless as i believe you to be you would do so, for my enjoyment.

The Elgar Concerto? I love that piece. It's, as you said, amazing. You must have been really good yourself! Du Pre, eh? I'll have to check it out. Go look up either Joshua Bell or David Oistrach for the Sibelius. I have Bell's myself. And yes, I love the Bach Sonatas and Partitas. They are absolutely beautiful. His cello Sonatas are gorgeous too.

I think that if you believe in a God, then you must give him power to take life, as he was the one who created us all. If you don't believe in him, then whatever. This doesn't apply to you.

@Smooth Criminal: ...I suppose I should have posted a little clearer, huh? I mean that by if you don't know everything about God's gospel, then you are judged according to what you know. However, if you are presented with it and you feel a certain amount of truth from it and you still turn it down, you made a wrong choice and you'll be judged accordingly. If you continue living your own way, then you'll be fine. Nevermind...this part is kind of complicated, and I don't have the time to get into this anymore.

And about science Reaver...while I agree with you, do you really think that religion is an experiment? Religion doesn't conduct experiments, it doesn't use the scientific method...it doesn't even use knowledge, but faith, as its foundation. I think that their core principles are too different to harass one another. Science can answer most things...but not everything. "For everything else there's Mastercard!Imean, uh...Religion!" Jk. No but back on the serious, religion and science are very different. Science proves things...religion does not. Its standards are different. And as to your story...the Old Testament is very strange, yes it is. It's also probably the most incorrectly translated. It is the least read book of doctrine by me. I'm not familiar with that story.

@Arrowhead: Sounds to me like you have some moral code explanation going on there, and morals really have nothing to do with science. Please don't tell me that an emotion is something your brain sends to your body and attempt to de...emotionalize emotion(?!?). Everyone knows that emotion contradicts logic all the time.

@Zero Beat: Of course we're all equal under God's eyes, and that has nothing to do with what I said. Do not extrapolate the wrong things from my posts in an attempt to prove me wrong please. I said that you receive a greater reward in heaven for being a better person on Earth. That has nothing to do with being equal on the Earth. Everyone has the opportunity to get a reward, but you can't just dish out something to someone who doesn't deserve it.

@RDK: Hmmm...you raise an interesting question. Remember that if you believe in God, you must give him the power to kill as he was the one who gave us all life. There's also a verse somewhere that says that all the commandments basically fall under the one that says thou shalt love the Lord thy God. Like I said, the Old Testament is weird and I don't fully understand it all personally. Also, that verse in James is weird too. Mormon's do not recite a prayer like that; we actually tell God about our day and such. You know what I mean. It's like we're talking to a friend or a...FATHER?!? It's not a repeated prayer, as I'm sure he gets tired of hearing the same things from the same people everyday. I think that the answer to your question would be that we all have trials. So maybe it's asking not to lead us into tribulation? I don't know.:dizzy::confused:

however, snex's flames were enjoyable. this thread needs more hatred. like, "hey you stupid mormon idiot, are you so ****ing blind that you can't realize a b or c??"
Also, QWAAA?

Man that was a lot longer than I intended. Sorry.

Peeze

Smash Master
It does not seem like god ever outright or directly killed them, or that Adam and Eve immediately died from eating the "fruit". Also, god says that "man has become like one of us", which seems to imply that not only are there multiple gods, but that man has knowledge and mental alacrity on the level of these "gods".

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/3.html
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/4.html

So, it seems that god just meant that Adam and Eve would not be immortal and would eventually just die, which seems redundant since they already seem to be mortal anyway (which is doubly obvious since the idea of "living forever" is an impossibility).

Also, if god really didn't want them to eat the fruit, couldn't he have put a guard on it to prevent them from doing so like he does with the "tree of life" after they eat the first "fruit"? Or couldn't he, you know, just have placed the trees somewhere else entirely? Or have made it that snakes can't talk (lol)?

Also, lol, Adam and Steve.
If they didn't eat from the fruit they would never have died. Death was a direct result of sin.(Rom. 5:12) God never directly killed them thats my point exactly. He allowed them to die.
Did your parents put a guard on the stove when they told you don't touch it? No you listened, thats all Adam and Eve had to do. They had plenty of trees(and no IKEA to chop them down) they could have eaten from any one. They failed to listen.

you're addressing whether it's right to let someone die or not. i wasn't. all i'm saying is that if it costs you nothing to save someone's life and you don't, you basically killed that person.

say you were given two buttons. one says "kill" and the other says "save." someone else was given a different set of buttons. one says "leave to die" and the other says "save"

what's the difference between pressing the "kill" and "leave to die" button?
I could have sworn i addressed that...twice. And what do you mean you "basically" killed that person. I thought you were arguing leaving to die=killing. now its leaving to die basically =killing?

@the button question: The difference is you did not end their life. And to be technical the Bible outlines that god technically pushed both the "leave to die" button and the "save" button, eventually.
i miss snex.. not gonna lie
I read that quickly and thought you said you miss sex.

Yeah, you're forgetting the enormous part about how God controls everything and created everything, ergo he's responsible for every single thing that happens ever, whether he was the direct causation or not.

Me warning you about Pablo kicking your *** if you bother him is a ridiculous analogy to apply to God, seeing as how I didn't specifically design Pablo to be the way he is.
Logically prove the large print.

And the analogy still applies, even more so. Because since god, according to you designed, Pablo to be an *** kicker, then you should even more so listen to my warning, or your seriously a dumb *** and deserve to get beat up.

Edit: is it wrong that i enjoy this gang bang?
Edit 2: thats what she said.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
I could have sworn i addressed that...twice. And what do you mean you "basically" killed that person. I thought you were arguing leaving to die=killing. now its leaving to die basically =killing?
not in any way productive

i used the word basically to be more "correct." my point is the same whether i use the word or not.

@the button question: The difference is you did not end their life. And to be technical the Bible outlines that god technically pushed both the "leave to die" button and the "save" button, eventually.
but you did end their life. you could have easily stopped it, but you chose to do nothing. both choices take the same amount of work, and you are required to pick one of the choices. so if you deliberately chose the "leave to die" path, the death is your fault.

@Arrowhead: Sounds to me like you have some moral code explanation going on there, and morals really have nothing to do with science. Please don't tell me that an emotion is something your brain sends to your body and attempt to de...emotionalize emotion(?!?). Everyone knows that emotion contradicts logic all the time.
what i'm saying has nothing to do with morals

I read your argument wrong Arrowhead. My bad. Disregard that.

Oh and one more thing to what Reaver was saying earlier about how we've become like God. Here's the phrase where that is taken from:

"As God once was, man now is; as God now is, man may be." Makes sense, ja? Not sure where that came from, all's I know is that I know the quote. Food for thought?

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
There is a big difference between the Pablo analogy and the Adam and (st)Eve fable. In the Pablo story, depending on the rest of the details, any action other than a warning could result in an injury. So a warning could suffice. As far as Adam and Eve goes, god could have done more than a warning with no cost. God is omnipotent and/or omniscient. He knew what they would do before he put the tree there, so he could have placed the tree elsewhere or not at all. In fact because he knew their choice, he is either stupid or wanted them to die/become mortal. He is also quite capable of stopping them when they reach for the fruit with no cost to himself.

Its the same as stuffing a child's favorite candy with poison, throwing it on the floor and telling them not to eat it. Then sit there and watch while they go and eat the candy.

RDK

Smash Hero
Logically prove the large print.

And the analogy still applies, even more so. Because since god, according to you designed, Pablo to be an *** kicker, then you should even more so listen to my warning, or your seriously a dumb *** and deserve to get beat up.

Edit: is it wrong that i enjoy this gang bang?
Edit 2: thats what she said.
What? I don't even know what you're asking for here. Rephrase.

Also, anyone want to explain why in the creation account God refers to himself as "us" ("create them in our image")? Is there more than one God now?

And just what does "in our image" mean, anyway? If you take it literally, which I'm sure the fundies here do, then does that mean God has a human physique? Does got eat, ****, and piss just like us? If so, why? For what purpose?

And if we go the other route of interpreting it differently, than the fundies have some explaining to do as to why we don't view it literally like the rest of the Bible.

Well...look at the thing I just said. As God once was we are now and as he is now we can become. And in our image just means him and Jesus, his son. Yes, they are in fact different and separate people. In his image probably means something to the effect of how he once was. As he is now is how religious people strive to be though, right? We strive to perfect ourselves, and that doesn't mean just knowledge, but to make our actions right and do as little wrong as possible.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Also, anyone want to explain why in the creation account God refers to himself as "us" ("create them in our image")? Is there more than one God now?
Are you trying to look for consistency in religion when it comes to a fixed number of Gods? RDK's gone mad :).

As God once was we are now and as he is now we can become.
What? And how do you know this?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What? And how do you know this?
Somebody is going to belt out the name "Jesus." Just as an FYI, it is said in the Good Book that while Jesus was capable of many great feats he was still a man. A mortal man, endowed with the Graces of God....but still a man nonetheless.

Smooth Criminal

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Wait, there used to be a guy who flamed everyone for being theists?
Ohhh, I want to see that. :(

:093:

Peeze

Smash Master
What? I don't even know what you're asking for here. Rephrase.

And just what does "in our image" mean, anyway? If you take it literally, which I'm sure the fundies here do, then does that mean God has a human physique? Does got eat, ****, and piss just like us? If so, why? For what purpose?

And if we go the other route of interpreting it differently, than the fundies have some explaining to do as to why we don't view it literally like the rest of the Bible.
He was speaking to Jesus and "in his image" mean with Gods qualities. i.e. we love because god loves, or we show mercy because he does.

RDK

Smash Hero
He was speaking to Jesus and "in his image" mean with Gods qualities. i.e. we love because god loves, or we show mercy because he does.
So explain why we should take any other part of the Good Book as literal, instead of cherry picking which parts we like.

You are correct Smooth Criminal. He was mortal, if you will.

@Zero Beat: How do I know that phrase? Well, if I told you it might sound ridiculous to you, but...here goes(?!?). My church believes that God continues to give revelation to people on the Earth today. Almost all other Christian churches believe that he stopped doing that after the New Testament was written. So basically the prophet of the Church is only the tool through which Christ leads his church. He gets revelation from God and Jesus about how to lead the church and acts accordingly. That's why we call it the Church of Jesus Christ. And no, it's not a paid position.

Peeze

Smash Master
So explain why we should take any other part of the Good Book as literal, instead of cherry picking which parts we like.
When did i cherry pick? The word image means likeness. YOU presumptuously assume it means physical likeness, when common sense(i know what your thinking "common sense and the bible?") obviously dictates that its not a physical likeness. Men act and think like God does, just on an imperfect scale. A chip off the old block is the expression.

The bible is like Animal Farm, you can read it and enjoy it fairly well, taking everything literally, or you can dig deeper and find the symbolisms, metaphors and parallels, the greater meaning and fully understand the book. All good books contain figurative speech, so does the bible, thats not call cherry picking thats called discernment.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
i don't despise atheists, i just don't want to be categorized as one. it's a negative connotation for me :)

:)

if you atheists are as heartless as i believe you to be you would do so, for my enjoyment.
Um...no. I would not debase myself, nor, I hope, would anyone else, to pointless and nonconstructive insults just to appease your immature and petty sense of enjoyment.

The Elgar Concerto? I love that piece. It's, as you said, amazing. You must have been really good yourself! Du Pre, eh? I'll have to check it out. Go look up either Joshua Bell or David Oistrach for the Sibelius. I have Bell's myself. And yes, I love the Bach Sonatas and Partitas. They are absolutely beautiful. His cello Sonatas are gorgeous too.

I think that if you believe in a God, then you must give him power to take life, as he was the one who created us all. If you don't believe in him, then whatever. This doesn't apply to you.

And about science Reaver...while I agree with you, do you really think that religion is an experiment? Religion doesn't conduct experiments, it doesn't use the scientific method...it doesn't even use knowledge, but faith, as its foundation. I think that their core principles are too different to harass one another. Science can answer most things...but not everything. "For everything else there's Mastercard!Imean, uh...Religion!" Jk. No but back on the serious, religion and science are very different. Science proves things...religion does not. Its standards are different. And as to your story...the Old Testament is very strange, yes it is. It's also probably the most incorrectly translated. It is the least read book of doctrine by me. I'm not familiar with that story.

Also, QWAAA?

Man that was a lot longer than I intended. Sorry.
I shall most definitely check out Bell's and Oistrach's recordings for Sibelius' violin concerto. I'm always on the prowl for good music, lol. I had listened to one version I could find on youtube (definitely not the best way to listen to music, but while at work, it's the only way I can), and I think I listened to a Hillary Hahn or something like that. It sounded pretty good, but her interpretation seemed...I don't know, it just didn't have much personality to it I guess. But, then again, I was listening to it on youtube, while working, so that might've influenced my thoughts of it. However, it seems like a technically demanding piece, so I commend you for your level of skill.

I don't think that religion is an experiment, I do think it is an hypothesis though. Pretty much every belief and assumption is an hypothesis, whether its positing the possibility of a supernatural creator and controller of the cosmos, to thinking that you definitely did leave your shoes in the closet yesterday. I had an hypothesis that the computer I built would work fine and would not need any replacing of the parts, but, unfortunately, that turned out to be false (sigh). I have an hypothesis that when I let go of a cup, gravity will pull it to the floor. The scientific process is simply the formulating of an hypothesis, performing a test or an experiment, and seeing whether it validates or disproves the hypothesis you formulated. Rather straight forward in theory, but in reality, can be rather tricky and complicated for certain hypothesii. Often at the end of the process, if you've disproved your first hypothesis, you come up with a new one, then test the new one, and then repeat the whole process again if, once again, you disprove the hypothesis. The scientific process can, and often is, applied to rather ordinary and simple things. Like, to take my computer once again as an example, it kept freezing if I tried to play a game. So I formulated the hypothesis that the drivers I had for my GPU were out of date, and that installing the latest ones would solve the problem. I then did install the new drivers then proceeded to test my hypothesis by once again trying to play my game and seeing if it froze or not. It, unfortunately, turned out to be false, as the game froze anyway, thus prompting me to come up with a new hypothesis (that the GPU card was faulty), testing it (trying to play with a different GPU card my friend provided me), and seeing whether it was true or not (whether the game froze with the other card or not, which, ultimately, it did not).

Religion is not exempt from this process, it just refuses to comply to it. They formulate an hypothesis, that there is a supernatural deity that will reward/punish forever if you do or don't do certain things, and then does not attempt to test it and, in fact, actively prevents people from testing it (even though the bible seems, once again, iffy about it http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/test.html). Religion simply states a possible hypothesis, then asks for people to believe in it without testing or proving any sort of validity for it in the first place.

And, unfortunately, the bible is a package deal, particularly for those people who believe that it's inerrant. The old testament is just as relevant as the new testament in the bible. To disprove or lessen the authority of a part of the bible casts doubt on the authenticity and authority of the whole thing.

Also, emotion is not illogical. It's a completely logical mental process, if you understand it and why you feel emotions in the first place. However, due to the "fast, rough, and dirty" nature of the amygdala's and limbic system's calculations, the responses it arrives at might be incorrect or wrong for particular siutations, thus giving the appearance of being illogical.

Don't worry about your posts being long. If no one yelled at me for the length of some of my posts, then you definitely have nothing to worry about, lol.

Oh and one more thing to what Reaver was saying earlier about how we've become like God. Here's the phrase where that is taken from:

"As God once was, man now is; as God now is, man may be." Makes sense, ja? Not sure where that came from, all's I know is that I know the quote. Food for thought?
I didn't take that from that phrase at all. In fact, I've never even heard that before. It also strikes me as an odd and contradictory statement, since, if, as most Christians posit, that god is omnipotent (a notion that I think I've proved to be an impossibility, but am simply indulging in here for the sake of argument), we're either omnipotent now (hardly), or that somehow god was not omnipotent then, yet somehow became so now, as you can't be omnipotent then somehow "improve" your omnipotence.

If they didn't eat from the fruit they would never have died. Death was a direct result of sin.(Rom. 5:12) God never directly killed them thats my point exactly. He allowed them to die.
Did your parents put a guard on the stove when they told you don't touch it? No you listened, thats all Adam and Eve had to do. They had plenty of trees(and no IKEA to chop them down) they could have eaten from any one. They failed to listen.
So, Adam and Eve were immortal before they ate the fruit? Does that mean all the animals made with them were immortal as well, as they never ate from the tree of knowledge and thus never sinned? Then why was there a tree that would grant immortality if they were already immortal? How does a fruit even grant knowledge or immortality, and what happened to all of them (or, if they were just singular trees, it)? Did the tree of immortality and of knowledge both die out or something (irony)? And how did a snake even talk in the first place to convince them to eat it?

I'm pretty sure actually, as I was growing up, that my parents did put guards on things, mostly to things that were toxic though, such as the cleaning fluids, detergent, etc. If someone has no knowledge of anything, they wouldn't realize what to do and not to do.

The bible is like Animal Farm, you can read it and enjoy it fairly well, taking everything literally, or you can dig deeper and find the symbolisms, metaphors and parallels, the greater meaning and fully understand the book. All good books contain figurative speech, so does the bible, thats not call cherry picking thats called discernment.
Ah, I always knew we weren't supposed to take the resurrection of Jesus literally. Clearly that never could've actually happened, so it's definitely just an allegory for something.

lol, I literally was just asked to finish burning a DVD for a Jewish student who said she couldn't do it herself since it would be breaking Sabbath.

Peeze

Smash Master
So, Adam and Eve were immortal before they ate the fruit? Does that mean all the animals made with them were immortal as well, as they never ate from the tree of knowledge and thus never sinned? Then why was there a tree that would grant immortality if they were already immortal? How does a fruit even grant knowledge or immortality, and what happened to all of them (or, if they were just singular trees, it)? Did the tree of immortality and of knowledge both die out or something (irony)? And how did a snake even talk in the first place to convince them to eat it?
When did i say they were immortal? Stop putting words in my mouth, seriously. In fact immortal means they're not subject to death so even if they ate the fruit they wouldn't have died, because an immortal being CANNOT die. Immortal beings have no kryptonite, no weakness.

I'm pretty sure actually, as I was growing up, that my parents did put guards on things, mostly to things that were toxic though, such as the cleaning fluids, detergent, etc. If someone has no knowledge of anything, they wouldn't realize what to do and not to do.
Sure, but they didn't put guards on everything. And whereas you might not have known the consequences, Adam and eve did.

Ah, I always knew we weren't supposed to take the resurrection of Jesus literally. Clearly that never could've actually happened, so it's definitely just an allegory for something.
Congratulations you missed the point entirely.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
peeze do you seriously think pure faith is a good way to find truth to ANYTHING? because that's exactly what your religion is. no logic, no evidence, no consistency. not even internally

Reaver197

Smash Lord
When did i say they were immortal? Stop putting words in my mouth, seriously. In fact immortal means they're not subject to death so even if they ate the fruit they wouldn't have died, because an immortal being CANNOT die. Immortal beings have no kryptonite, no weakness.
Hmm...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immortal

So, I suggest reading what you said, and instead of impulsively and reflexively trying to refute what I say, please take a break, consider everything you've said, past and present, and try to build up an internally coherent position.

If they weren't immortal to start off in the first place, then they were always going to die at some point, in which giving them a limited, mortal life (as what you seem to be indicating) was redundant. They for sure didn't die right away from eating the fruit, as they seemed to have time to procreate and raise Cain and Abel since eating it.

Sure, but they didn't put guards on everything. And whereas you might not have known the consequences, Adam and eve did.
How could they? They had no knowledge of "good" and "evil". Being the first people ever alive (lol), they would have no idea what "death" would implicate. They wouldn't have any idea what it would mean to comply to a request, and what it means to go against it.

Congratulations you missed the point entirely.
Ok, so then, what was your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom