• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fallacies in Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
Well, this is a logical piece of candy isn't it?;) Well said, but how do you define omniscient? I would say there's a difference between knowing everything and what you choose to do based on the knowledge you have. You and I are fine examples. We both know about the theory of evolution, the big bang theory, physics, geology, biology, you name it, and yet I believe in God and you don't. While this is interesting, the logic fails because it assumes that it is impossible for God to sway from his decisions. He could if he wanted to, but the reason he does not is because the best way to proceed is the way he already does. There's no reason for him to make a more imperfect decision, but he could if he wanted to. Sometimes I think about jumping up on a desk in the middle of my history class and throwing things, but of course, I never do, because my knowledge of school and society makes it obvious that this would not be a good decision to make. I still could if I wanted to though.
But the most logical path is already in his head, so he can't make "choices".

The times before Jesus' death and during the foundation of Christianity, God appeared more because he needed to. These were the pivotal times of Christianity. Also, it wasn't even that common back in the day. The Bible is all about God, right? When writing the Bible, one isn't going to talk about God not appearing is he? I'm sure there were days in Jesus' life in which he didn't cause a miracle or deliver a wonderful sermon, but the Bible doesn't really have a reason to talk about those specific days because they don't teach us anything. And so, there are many many records of miracles and God touching the earth in the Bible. I guess I can see where one could draw the conclusion that they used to happen all the time. Also, also, what says miracles don't happen today? I've seen several myself (inexplicable by science). You won't believe me of course so I'll see if I can come up with some articles. I really don't think miracles occur in a way that is easy to empirically test.
Yes, come up with some articles.

It really doesn't matter what terrible thing you're talking about is. To me, every event is allowed to occur because God has analyzed every consequence it has and concluded it was for the best. My mother was actually ***** at age 14. She said that in the long run it had a positive effect on her. (This is anecdotal evidence. I understand that this case does not epitomize every **** case.) She may have even been ***** so that she could tell someone she knew about it that would change their take on life. Everything ties into everything else somehow. That's why people make all those sci-fi movies about going back in time. Come to think of it, I would theorize that shifts can be made in God's plan that have no net effect, but can favor one group, location, or individual more than another shift. That's where prayer affects things. Wow, my faith was just strengthened by this debate guys. Thanks.

And the others who were *****? It's the "It's all God's plan" fallacy again. There's no use debating if you try to debate using only this argument for everything that comes up.

And whoever made a comment about my "wrestling with a pig" comment, that was really dumb. That was just idle speculation not meant to make a point. Ultimately, very few of the debaters in this thread are ever going to change their minds because of anyone else in here. And so this is basically for fun. to argue politics and philosophy is futile unless you are a politician or you are talking to someone without a previous viewpoint. You really don't have to turn every thing into an attack, especially where there isn't a good attack to be made.
We can change our minds. Just magically whip up non-twisted evidence that absolutely proves god and the bible right and we'll convert. You'll never give up, though, because you're just going to refuse any evidence.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
We both know about the theory of evolution, the big bang theory, physics, geology, biology, you name it.........
Let me give you a very good suggestion. APPLY what you know for a change, if indeed you do know about these fields in depth.

I wish this debate was through audio or face to face, because right now, I can't really ask "Tell me what you know about the big bang theory. What does theory mean to you when science adds the word to a title?" ect.

Carlin put it best. "If it is god's divine plan, and he's going to do whatever he wants with it anyway, why the **** pray in the first place?"

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
@hive
Theism does not solve the problem of people having differing beliefs on morals. You have already said that the bible is not the word of god, and because you have not claimed to be of any other religion you probably admit that no religion knows the true word of god. All the bible is, is someone's(human someone) ideas on morality, same with all other holy books. So what makes those people so special that they can decide on morals?

Empathy is a reason for morals. There is no need other than that. You can reason what is good and bad through empathy. There is no good reason a murderers want to kill is more important than a person's want to live. There is no good reason a slave owners want for cheap labor is more important than someones want for freedom.

There will still be some gray areas with things like abortion. I admittedly have no idea how to solve things like this, but religion also does not provide an answer.

Any religion that requires its followers to blindly follow and never question is a lesser belief system. Blind faith leads to all kinds of problems that I mentioned before. To be truly faithful to religion you have to have no doubt that it is correct, this means you have to become close minded. If you read through this topic you can see what I am talking about, so many of these people are unwilling to listen to logic and reason. Look on youtube for Evolution vs. ID and you will see tons of people clearly misrepresenting evolution to prove ID is right and then have thousands of people believe them.

Like I said before religion is not inherently evil. I have no problem with people who read up on religions to see other views on morality and see it a philosophy created by another HUMAN. Unfortunately most people see it as the exact word of god and follow blindly ignoring all evidence and reason. If people can read the bible and acknowledge that it was not written by god, is not a science or history book, can be incorrect in its moral guidance, and god might not exist then I have no problem with Christianity. Unfortunately Christianity(as well as other religions) has been twisted an deformed from propaganda and politics, to convert people into the blindly faithful. This is the problem with theism.

If I had the power right now to magically change everyone's beliefs, I would much prefer changing everyone to agnostic than banning all religion. (just a hypothetical, there are obviously moral complications to forcefully changing a person's beliefs)The only possible way you can hope to reduce fanaticism is to add doubt. If you aren't sure you are right you are a lot less likely to kill yourself for a cause or ignore valid physical evidence.

RDK

Smash Hero
Let me give you a very good suggestion. APPLY what you know for a change, if indeed you do know about these fields in depth.

I wish this debate was through audio or face to face, because right now, I can't really ask "Tell me what you know about the big bang theory. What does theory mean to you when science adds the word to a title?" ect.

Carlin put it best. "If it is god's divine plan, and he's going to do whatever he wants with it anyway, why the **** pray in the first place?"
The point is that he knows nothing about the Big Bang, ToE, etc., or else we wouldn't even be having this debate.

And Lord of the Morning, you're completely skewing the concept of omniscience and omnipotence. Either he's one or he's the other; they're mutually exclusive. Saying "he could if he wanted to" is ridiculous and it's obvious you just pulled that out of your ***. Give me a Bible reference.

Hive

Smash Lord
@ bfdd i see what you are saying... however
-blind faith is NOT avoidable, you must have blind faith in some things no matter how you believe in empathy, so you can't judge theism in that way.
-I did not say that the bible isn't the word of god... what i said was that i didn't think it was...
but even though i don't agree with it, i still believe it is an equally valid and logical belief.
why? because ALL BELIEFS ARE ILLOGICAL. so how you arrive at empathy really doesn't matter.
-as a result, I also don't believe you can say one illogical way to believe in empathy is more valid than another. and yours is also by no means completely logical either...
-people are entitled to believe in things that are illogical that don't conflict with empathy... these end up defining individuality anyhow... how can you say that learning about art, or reading, or playing video games is any more logical than reading the bible or going to church in your own belief system? none of these concern empathy, and you have no basis for it.
-if any belief system that requires some amount of blind following is lesser, than you are lesser as well, you believe in all kinds of things that can't be accounted for by science as well...
in fact no one can be a cynic of everything or escape blind faith in all things, because in order to be a cynic you MUST at least first believe things that have no reason to be believed in order to argue other points.
-finally I'm not addressing people who are violent or issues that are violent, what i'm addressing is people that aren't violent... and when I think this is the case, I don't think it is the right of anyone to dictate belief whether you agree with it or not.
yes fanatics who go out and hurt people should obviously be stopped, not the entire religion as a whole... if someone went out and killed someone in the name of science, for example, and it does happen, no one would dare try to ban science as a result of it... its the same exact thing... there are a million of beliefs that have violent people in them, and maybe even a larger amount of violent people in them, however this is and will never be a good reason to ban it as a whole if it clearly has the capacity to be otherwise...

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
And Lord of the Morning, you're completely skewing the concept of omniscience and omnipotence. Either he's one or he's the other; they're mutually exclusive. Saying "he could if he wanted to" is ridiculous and it's obvious you just pulled that out of your ***. Give me a Bible reference.
RDK you make alot of claims but you rarely have anything to back them up. You said absolutely nothing to back up "You're skewing the concept", "Their mutually exclusive", or "it's ridiculous". You can say anything you want, but if you don't back it up, you fail. I could simply say "RDK you are wrong about everything you ever knew. If you read the Bible with the right mindset, I'm sure you would understand. You're just too lazy." Notice how I have nothing to support this whatsoever? Please, man... you're just being a troll. I'm getting tired of arguing with you.

om⋅nis⋅cient
–adjective
1. having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/omniscient

According to this definition, omniscient does not mean you are restricted to the most logical course. Different decisions can be made with the same data. There's a difference between knowing what's best and being forced to do what's best. This is such a stupid argument. I thought it was funny at first, but now it's really lame.

But the most logical path is already in his head, so he can't make "choices".
This really isn't adequate to refute my argument. So the logical path is in his head, that doesn't mean he's restricted to it. Also, I would assert that there is more than one logical reaction to take in response to many actions. You guys are treating me as if I don't understand your argument. Repeating the claim isn't going to get you anywhere.

RDK

Smash Hero
RDK you make alot of claims but you rarely have anything to back them up. You said absolutely nothing to back up "You're skewing the concept", "Their mutually exclusive", or "it's ridiculous". You can say anything you want, but if you don't back it up, you fail. I could simply say "RDK you are wrong about everything you ever knew. If you read the Bible with the right mindset, I'm sure you would understand. You're just too lazy." Notice how I have nothing to support this whatsoever? Please, man... you're just being a troll. I'm getting tired of arguing with you.

om⋅nis⋅cient
–adjective
1. having complete or unlimited knowledge, awareness, or understanding; perceiving all things. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/omniscient

According to this definition, omniscient does not mean you are restricted to the most logical course. Different decisions can be made with the same data. There's a difference between knowing what's best and being forced to do what's best. This is such a stupid argument. I thought it was funny at first, but now it's really lame.

This really isn't adequate to refute my argument. So the logical path is in his head, that doesn't mean he's restricted to it. Also, I would assert that there is more than one logical reaction to take in response to many actions. You guys are treating me as if I don't understand your argument. Repeating the claim isn't going to get you anywhere.
You still don't get the point.

Omniscience means he already knows what's going to happen, in every and all instances. He can't physically change the course since it's already been set.

So either he's all-powerful or he's all-knowing. They're mutually exclusive.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
You still don't get the point.

Omniscience means he already knows what's going to happen, in every and all instances. He can't physically change the course since it's already been set.

So either he's all-powerful or he's all-knowing. They're mutually exclusive.
I understand the argument. Stop reiterating it. Add something new or be quiet. I just DEFINED omniscient! And I have the "evidence" because my definition (from a freaking dictionary, and not something "I pulled out of my ***") supports my claim that it does not restrict him to a path. I know exactly what it means. How do arrive at the conclusion that his course has been "set"? He still thinks about his decisions. He chooses the most perfect course because he is perfect. Different decisions can be made that are equally as logical. I presented my argument, you presented yours. Stop repeating yourself and make some additional points and refute my arguments. ^You said as much at least 3 times now.

Hive

Smash Lord
@RDK they aren't mutually exclusive though...
If god allows free will (he has the power to change it, but he doesn't, why? because having a choice is more meaningful than being forced to be happy imo also in order for people to be good they MUST have free will, because w/o it good and evil would not be applicable... basically then allowing free will is the "goodest" (yea the grammar for that sux lol, i know, but you get the point) possible course) it allows for both good and evil to exist... while he is still all powerful...
but it would also be random, so god couldn't know the future, right?
but here is where people are mistaken... they assume that because god doesn't know the future it must mean he's not all-knowing... however as proved by the greek philosopher Boethius, if there WERE a set future than free will couldn't possibly exist because your actions would have to be predetermined to fit future events, and therefore you wouldn't have a choice. However, we are assuming free will doesn exist... this automatically means that the future doesn't exist specifically either, ts just a human concept at this point, and if this is true than you are holding god accountable for knowing something that simply put does not exist... In order for god to be all knowing then he'd only have to know the past and the present... which can easily be argued that he does.

if this is met than god would indeed be all knowing, all powerful, and all good w/o conflict

RDK

Smash Hero
I understand the argument. Stop reiterating it. Add something new or be quiet. I just DEFINED omniscient! And I have the "evidence" because my definition (from a freaking dictionary, and not something "I pulled out of my ***") supports my claim that it does not restrict him to a path. I know exactly what it means. How do arrive at the conclusion that his course has been "set"? He still thinks about his decisions. He chooses the most perfect course because he is perfect. Different decisions can be made that are equally as logical. I presented my argument, you presented yours. Stop repeating yourself and make some additional points and refute my arguments. ^You said as much at least 3 times now.
I can't easily imagine a being like God "thinking" about his decisions. You don't even know what you're arguing.

And my explanation of the argument still stands. Omniscience implies that he knows all states; past, present, and future. He knows everthing that will happen, ever. So he either can't change the way things are going to be, or he really doesn't know. You can't have both.

For some reason you have this silly assumption in your head that he stops time and thinks long and hard about something before saying "O.K., go!" and allowing time to proceed.

@RDK they aren't mutually exclusive though...
If god allows free will (he has the power to change it, but he doesn't, why? because having a choice is more meaningful than being forced to be happy imo also in order for people to be good they MUST have free will, because w/o it good and evil would not be applicable... basically then allowing free will is the "goodest" (yea the grammar for that sux lol, i know, but you get the point) possible course) it allows for both good and evil to exist... while he is still all powerful...
No, you don't get it either. Free will and omniscience are mutually exclusive too. Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to restate this?

See below:

It's really pretty simple. In order to have Free Will, there must be options.

Imagine a world where everything happens deterministically, much like a video game. Everything that happens in this world is is determined strictly according to the state of the world previously, and progresses in a well defined manner.

Certainly no creatures or objects in this world can be said to have Free Will. They have no choice about what to do, their actions are determined entirely by the laws of the world. Everything in this world have no options. Given a particular state of the world, there is only one possible way for the world to end up later. Thus there is no choice involved at all, everything just progresses in a boring deterministic fashion.

Makes sense, yes? In order to make choices, there must be options.

Well, if there exists an omniscient being, then there are no options. This being already knows the state of the universe and all of its future states. In other words: it already knows what the creatures and objects in the universe will do. There are no options. A creature in this world has no choice about what to do. Their future is already determined and they cannot change it.

Get it?
but it would also be random, so god couldn't know the future, right?
but here is where people are mistaken... they assume that because god doesn't know the future it must mean he's not all-knowing... however as proved by the greek philosopher Boethius, if there WERE a set future than free will couldn't possibly exist because your actions would have to be predetermined to fit future events, and therefore you wouldn't have a choice. However, we are assuming free will doesn exist... this automatically means that the future doesn't exist specifically either, ts just a human concept at this point, and if this is true than you are holding god accountable for knowing something that simply put does not exist... In order for god to be all knowing then he'd only have to know the past and the present... which can easily be argued that he does.

if this is met than god would indeed be all knowing, all powerful, and all good w/o conflict
No, you're completely wrong. Time is a very real thing that can be bent, and even ripped. Please learn physics.

And you basically refuted your own argument. If the future is a set thing, then free will is, for all intents and purposes, an illusion. Refer to my above post.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I thought that as a fellow christian, you would follow the rules. Since when are you worthy of even understanding how your God MUST or SHOULD think?

If you're going to present us with a circular argument that handicaps us, accept your handicap as well.<_<

pockyD

Smash Legend
You should realize that the bible doesn't out and say "God is omniscient". Omniscience (by your textbook definition) is a subset of what God possesses, but simply proving it reasonable for him to be "omniscient" doesn't necessarily prove/disprove the other properties attributed to God

Hive

Smash Lord
@RDK-
no your wrong RDK, you're still missing the point that the future isn't a tangible thing that can be known... you are ASSUMING it exists and that god should be held accountable for knowing it... when my point is entirely that it DOESN'T exist and that holding him accountable for it then makes no logical sense.

you're right in that future existing means free will cannot exist, if you had read my post you would see i say just that within it as well.
However, we MUST believe in free will bc w/o it is completely pointless to believe we don't have any choice, and would make any argument you could possibly make irrelevant bc it would be meaningless if you were right or wrong.
So assuming free will does exist, by your own logic the future can't exist... which is once again my point.

pockyD

Smash Legend
The bible has several instances where people (or, if you believe it, God via people) predict the future, and 90% of the book of revelation is devoted to such

RDK

Smash Hero
@RDK-
no your wrong RDK, you're still missing the point that the future isn't a tangible thing that can be known... you are ASSUMING it exists and that god should be held accountable for knowing it... when my point is entirely that it DOESN'T exist and that holding him accountable for it then makes no logical sense.
So you're admitting that God doesn't know every and all future states, and is therefore neither omniscient nor omnipotent?

Good. Debate over.

you're right in that future existing means free will cannot exist, if you had read my post you would see i say just that within it as well.
However, we MUST believe in free will bc w/o it is completely pointless to believe we don't have any choice, and would make any argument you could possibly make irrelevant bc it would be meaningless if you were right or wrong.
So assuming free will does exist, by your own logic the future can't exist... which is once again my point.
Yeah, I have no idea what you're trying to say here. I've already explained why free will is an illusion when a set future course is considered. Something isn't pointless just because you don't like it.

Hive

Smash Lord
The bible has several instances where people (or, if you believe it, God via people) predict the future, and 90% of the book of revelation is devoted to such
ok, but i'm addressing the belief that theism can't exist logically, not necessarily some parts of the bible or christianity.. i don't consider myself to be christian but i still believe in god, and what rdk is saying is against that, so its a personal arguement.

Hive

Smash Lord
So you're admitting that God doesn't know every and all future states, and is therefore neither omniscient nor omnipotent?

Good. Debate over.

Yeah, I have no idea what you're trying to say here. I've already explained why free will is an illusion when a set future course is considered. Something isn't pointless just because you don't like it.
if you believe in free will:
-and free will exists- you are right, and it is possible that this matters
-and free will doesn't exist- it completely doesn't matter what you believe about free will, since both options are just as stupid.
if you don't believe in free will:
-and free will exists- you are wrong, and it is possible this matters
-and free will doesn't exist-it completely doesn't matter what you believe about free will, since both options are just as stupid.

its a pascal's gambit. You HAVE to believe free will exists to ever be right, or to ever have a meaningful debate about this subject, or else no answer is better. period.

and once again you missed my point, which was that god doesn't need to know the future and can still be "all-knowing." if free will exists (which you MUST assume) then the future CANT exist, you already know the reasoning for this.
In order then to be all-knowing you would only need to know the past and present and possibilities of the future then which is completely possible... because the future then is only a concept and does not/must not have a set course...
you can't blame god for knowing things that DONT exist... i assume "all knowing" means you know everything in existence... having to know things that don't even exist though doesn't make any sense.

edit: if this is still hard to understand think of it like this:
a girl asks god what the name of the biggest unicorn in Magic Unicorn Land is, a place she basically made up and has no answer... God doesn't know because there is no place in the universe that is called Magic Unicorn Land so he can't answer this q, nor can he be expected to be held accountable for not knowing something that doesn't even exist... so thus he can still be all-knowing.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Well, this is a logical piece of candy isn't it?;) Well said, but how do you define omniscient? I would say there's a difference between knowing everything and what you choose to do based on the knowledge you have. You and I are fine examples. We both know about the theory of evolution, the big bang theory, physics, geology, biology, you name it, and yet I believe in God and you don't. While this is interesting, the logic fails because it assumes that it is impossible for God to sway from his decisions. He could if he wanted to, but the reason he does not is because the best way to proceed is the way he already does. There's no reason for him to make a more imperfect decision, but he could if he wanted to. Sometimes I think about jumping up on a desk in the middle of my history class and throwing things, but of course, I never do, because my knowledge of school and society makes it obvious that this would not be a good decision to make. I still could if I wanted to though.
Thank you for the compliment!

As for the definition of omniscient, I have to defer to what you meant for it as you're who's making the claim for omniscience. I assumed you meant it by the simplest and most straight-forward definition you can take from the word, which is simply that the deity is all-knowing, of everything that happened, is happening, and will happen. However, if you have a more nuanced and/or "cautious" or limited definition of omniscience, then I'm afraid, as is the case with omnipotence, it simply becomes an argument over semantics rather than any definable and testable attribute.

As for it being impossible for god to change decisions, I never said that. He's completely allowed to change his mind or what he was planning on doing, but doing such an action would void him of omniscience because he didn't know he was going to change his mind until that point. If he was omniscient, he would already know exactly what he'll end up doing way before hand, therefore he'll never need to change his mind, nor could he, because he would already be aware of any "changes" he would do before he does them, thus not really making them changes of mind but planned actions.

As for him entertaining thoughts of doing something he didn't plan on doing, but doesn't do them anyway, it still is, functionally, him performing an action that was known about and dictated way in advance. If he never actually does change what he plans and knows he's going to do, and never will, it functionally is the same thing as if he couldn't do anything else but what he already was going to plan and do.

As for knowing about all the fields of science, I don't know how much I know, but it never really seems like enough, so I keep trying to learn more. Physics and geology are probably my most lacking in knowledge of the fields you mentioned, but I've read some stuff to be fairly familiar with them. However, I fear that the way I know about these fields and theories of science isn't quite the same way you feel you know them. But, I have heard of some very smart people knowing fully well of the fields of science, yet at the same time holds religious beliefs that they're intellectually aware is at odds with the science that they practice and know, yet somehow are unfazed, do not care about it, or think they'll be able to reconcile it. It's very rare though, and generally works against them, since it seems to color and bias the science they then practice, more so than the usual degree at which humans are biased.

The times before Jesus' death and during the foundation of Christianity, God appeared more because he needed to. These were the pivotal times of Christianity. Also, it wasn't even that common back in the day. The Bible is all about God, right? When writing the Bible, one isn't going to talk about God not appearing is he? I'm sure there were days in Jesus' life in which he didn't cause a miracle or deliver a wonderful sermon, but the Bible doesn't really have a reason to talk about those specific days because they don't teach us anything. And so, there are many many records of miracles and God touching the earth in the Bible. I guess I can see where one could draw the conclusion that they used to happen all the time. Also, also, what says miracles don't happen today? I've seen several myself (inexplicable by science). You won't believe me of course so I'll see if I can come up with some articles. I really don't think miracles occur in a way that is easy to empirically test.
So, you think that god has a physical and tangible form in which he can walk around and verbally talk to people with?

Also, doesn't it strike you as kind of suspicious that the only time god appears to people was during poorly documented events that are mostly told by second hand accounts written years after the claimed events actually happened (if they happened at all)? Especially when the average person was much more superstitious and less knowledgeable than people are today? That claims for supernatural events such as god appearing to or talking to, or miracles happen declined and became less and less widely believed as human knowledge grew over the millennium? If someone nowadays claimed that god spoke to them and that they parted a whole sea and walked across the sea bed to the other side would be thought more delusional or crazy rather than believable.

As for alleged miracles, I would love to see any articles or evidence you have for them. But, for the most part, any sort of supposed modern day miracles I've heard about (I can't say that it's that many though, as I've never purposely searched out for such claims) has either been definitively been proven a hoax, or was reported under really dubious circumstances that seem to indicate a hoax. One example of such "miracles" I've heard about are crying or bleeding statues. However, most of them have been proven and/or dismissed as hoaxes, often by the Catholic Church itself, ironically enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue

There is also something to be said for the power of self-delusion. People, if they really want to and try to, will often see things or interpret things as how they believe it is rather than what it actually is.

Case in point, from this episode of Penn & Teller's HBO series called Bullsh*t (a show that's really more for entertainment and comedy than legitimate and objective scientific appraisals) in which a woman believes that on her door is a face, and not just any face, but the face of god.

It's a well established phenomena called pareidolia. It's what leads us to see or interpret random stimuli as something significant, most commonly in seeing faces in a picture or image of non-human objects, such as rocks, pieces of wood, or the like. It's also what enables us to interpret drawings as people, as pretty much anything with two dots and a line will cause our brain to try and see it as a face. It also can lead us to interpret or believe there are intentions behind events or non-sentient/living objects, especially if we prime our brains to look and actively seek for such things.

Also, there are some claimed "miracles" which are actually manufactured illusions or tricks by someone trying to pass it off as a miracle, but who knows it's not so, like the bleeding statues as an example. They often try to present and build up the trick in such a way that observers fail to see what was actually done, and thus are left baffled and perplexed. Such is the trade of illusionists and magicians, though they don't try to actually make the public believe that they can actually do "magic", it's actually a process that's quite rational and feasible, but just presented in such a way as to appear to observers as impossible or supernatural.

Take, if I may use this particular example, Criss Angel and his trick where he seemingly levitates from building to building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIwcVAxZsU

I have no idea how he does, and am genuinely perplexed as to how he does what seems otherwise an impossible feat. Yet, I do not claim it a "miracle" or that he has supernatural powers. I know that he's specifically and carefully engineered this trick in such a way that it's actually quite realistically possible for him to do, but quite perplexing to those who don't understand how he does it. It could even be done by cgi, though that would lessen his standing as a good illusionist. However, you can see how such tricks can be done to easily fool and confound people, and if the illusionist wanted, could probably convince some people (or the people could convince themselves if they're mentally inclined to) that it really is supernatural. Usually, though, there is a generally mundane, and, in retrospect, obvious way in which the trick/illusion/miracle was done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2wqoNFmJQ

It really doesn't matter what terrible thing you're talking about is. To me, every event is allowed to occur because God has analyzed every consequence it has and concluded it was for the best. My mother was actually ***** at age 14. She said that in the long run it had a positive effect on her. (This is anecdotal evidence. I understand that this case does not epitomize every **** case.) She may have even been ***** so that she could tell someone she knew about it that would change their take on life. Everything ties into everything else somehow. That's why people make all those sci-fi movies about going back in time. Come to think of it, I would theorize that shifts can be made in God's plan that have no net effect, but can favor one group, location, or individual more than another shift. That's where prayer affects things. Wow, my faith was just strengthened by this debate guys. Thanks.
Such a line of reasoning. If god really did love everyone, as the bible claims he does on several occasions, why would it be necessary at all to have to let anyone get hurt, especially if he'd omnipotent? He could've at least made it such that the male sex drive wasn't so overactive as such things as **** would even happen at all. It either goes to show that, once again, either god is not omnipotent, and can't actually stop bad things from happening, or can, but doesn't choose to, thus tarnishing his reputation as a loving and benevolent god. This is especially pertinent considering such things as the Holocaust and 9/11.

What worries me is not only that god lets such things happen, but, according to the bible, actually will encourage and approve of such things happening.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/inj/long.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/women/long.html

As for your mother, I'm terribly sorry to hear such a thing. If she thinks that it made her life better, I'm in no position to disagree, but I can't help wonder if maybe life would've been just as good, if not better, for her without such a thing having to be inflicted upon her. However, either way, she must be an incredibly resilient and good-natured woman to have undergone such an ordeal and survive through it.

Shifts in plans that have no net-effect? No net-effect of what?

Anyway, I cannot force you to believe or disbelieve in certain things. All I can hope is that my critiques and points have not gone unnoticed, or to no (or ill) effect. Since a lot of my previous post was not replied to and contested, I can only hope that means that some of it got through and is recognized as true, or at least made you think or reconsider a position, though I have no actual way of knowing. I'm not trying to be anyone's opponent or enemy here, I'm simply trying to see that people live to the full intellectual and moral levels that they can achieve.

@ bfdd i see what you are saying... however
-blind faith is NOT avoidable, you must have blind faith in some things no matter how you believe in empathy, so you can't judge theism in that way.
-I did not say that the bible isn't the word of god... what i said was that i didn't think it was...
but even though i don't agree with it, i still believe it is an equally valid and logical belief.
why? because ALL BELIEFS ARE ILLOGICAL. so how you arrive at empathy really doesn't matter.
-as a result, I also don't believe you can say one illogical way to believe in empathy is more valid than another. and yours is also by no means completely logical either...
-people are entitled to believe in things that are illogical that don't conflict with empathy... these end up defining individuality anyhow... how can you say that learning about art, or reading, or playing video games is any more logical than reading the bible or going to church in your own belief system? none of these concern empathy, and you have no basis for it.
-if any belief system that requires some amount of blind following is lesser, than you are lesser as well, you believe in all kinds of things that can't be accounted for by science as well...
in fact no one can be a cynic of everything or escape blind faith in all things, because in order to be a cynic you MUST at least first believe things that have no reason to be believed in order to argue other points.
-finally I'm not addressing people who are violent or issues that are violent, what i'm addressing is people that aren't violent... and when I think this is the case, I don't think it is the right of anyone to dictate belief whether you agree with it or not.
yes fanatics who go out and hurt people should obviously be stopped, not the entire religion as a whole... if someone went out and killed someone in the name of science, for example, and it does happen, no one would dare try to ban science as a result of it... its the same exact thing... there are a million of beliefs that have violent people in them, and maybe even a larger amount of violent people in them, however this is and will never be a good reason to ban it as a whole if it clearly has the capacity to be otherwise...
Blind faith is perfectly avoidable. As long as you continue to question the knowledge you have and how you receive, and check it against what the current evidence says (which is always updating and improving), then you're successfully avoiding blind faith. If you're willing to realize that maybe what you know is the absolute truth, and that's imperfect on some level, and you constantly try to improve it, you aren't believing in something for the sake of believing in something, and disregarding anything that might say it's wrong.

All beliefs are not illogical. For example, I believe that when I hold out my pen over the floor and unclench my fist, the pen will fall to the floor. Why? The law of gravity and my constant experience and affirmation of its existence and its affect (also with third party confirmation) makes it a perfectly logical belief to have. Same with the belief that the color of my car will be the same when I wake up the next morning. There are logical beliefs, but they have to be grounded on testable and observable evidence, or else they have no grounding with reality, and thus can be illogical, and also susceptible to "blind" faith.

As I said before, there wouldn't be violent religious fanatics if there wasn't religion in the first place. In fact, such fanaticism exists solely because of the religious beliefs they believe in. As for someone killing someone else in the name of science, I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing outside of novels and movies, though I could be wrong. However, the comparison to how many people kill in the name of science to, say, in the name of their country, or political leader, or, most of all, in the name of their god, would be astoundingly tiny. Having violent people is bad enough as it is. Arming them with the belief that they have a consciousness that somehow survives the physical destruction and death of their brain which will then be rewarded by a god for killing themselves and other people only greatly exacerbates the issue, the fatality, and the scale such violence will manifest itself in.

Hive

Smash Lord
All beliefs are not illogical. For example, I believe that when I hold out my pen over the floor and unclench my fist, the pen will fall to the floor. Why? The law of gravity and my constant experience and affirmation of its existence and its affect (also with third party confirmation) makes it a perfectly logical belief to have. Same with the belief that the color of my car will be the same when I wake up the next morning. There are logical beliefs, but they have to be grounded on testable and observable evidence, or else they have no grounding with reality, and thus can be illogical, and also susceptible to "blind" faith.

As I said before, there wouldn't be violent religious fanatics if there wasn't religion in the first place. In fact, such fanaticism exists solely because of the religious beliefs they believe in. As for someone killing someone else in the name of science, I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing outside of novels and movies, though I could be wrong. However, the comparison to how many people kill in the name of science to, say, in the name of their country, or political leader, or, most of all, in the name of their god, would be astoundingly tiny. Having violent people is bad enough as it is. Arming them with the belief that they have a consciousness that somehow survives the physical destruction and death of their brain which will then be rewarded by a god for killing themselves and other people only greatly exacerbates the issue, the fatality, and the scale such violence will manifest itself in.
I'm saying that any belief admitting empathy is illogical according to science, this IS true...
believing in free will directly opposes neuroscience and cause effect nature, yet it is also absolutely necessary for any sort of good and bad, or any kind of empathy to exist.
If it doesn't then your arguement is already bunk because there would be no reason at all for believing or not believing in god, and trying to use logic in this context because basically both sides are just a product of reactions and no one can be held accountable
What you believe in it is still very much based in this same illogic as religion it must be or you don't believe in anything. people very much try to keep saying there beliefs are still the only logical route, which is very unscientific, anyone who knows anything about science realizes very early that the only thing science supports at all is nihilism, which no one is arguing.
this constant idea that religious people are stupider, more illogical, more violent than others is what I keep trying to address, and in my opinion still a very bigoted/ignorant way to perceive any religion. Its stupid, and the reasons people keep trying to find to separate it from other belief systems are ill founded and often times hypocritcal.

just because a person believes in god has nothing to do with how good/how scientific a person is:
Just because i believe in god either, has in no way stopped me from being a good person, and from studying mathematics as a fave subject- Its when people say that because i believe in god i MUST be stupid/wrong whatever that is pissing me off, because you shouldn't be able to just stereotype people like that because you believe morals arrived differently, or you believe the world runs in different ways.
I believe in god for many reasons, to have a basis for morality, to believe in something beyond life, to believe that the world around me has value to it, and that learning and gaining experiences about science also have value to them.... you can believe whatever you want, but these things help me live and be a good person in a world that is otherwise meaningless and mad scientifically. And you guys have no right saying that i'm stupider or more violent because of it... if anything it has helped me care more about the world around me, unselfishly even....
I respecet if you are atheist as well, I love diversity in peoples beliefs and I love being able to have these sorts of choices about beliefs when it doesn't concern violence.... its when people try to say that certain ways of thinking are stupid, or won't tolerate other beliefs is when it gets aggravating.... people should err on the side of tolerance and try to fight violent actions rather than trying to tie those actions to a set of larger beliefs....

edit: and as for you not believing in blind faith is simply not true, you must have faith that certain logical processes to work in order to have any faith in science, in order to believe in logic, if you believe people can be held accountable for their actions you must have faith that people have free will, when you were first born you had to have blind faith in order to start thinking critically, you had to accept without question some laws that you have no proof for, what you believe in in science even requires blind faith half the time because you need to be able to take other people's proofs to heart when you yourself can't prove them... you have to take their words, you have to because some of the common proofs you use in mathematics are over a hundred pages long, and finally you have to have blind faith to believe that your life actually means something... even to yourself

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm saying that any belief admitting empathy is illogical according to science, this IS true...
believing in free will directly opposes neuroscience and cause effect nature, yet it is also absolutely necessary for any sort of good and bad, or any kind of empathy to exist.
If it doesn't then your arguement is already bunk because there would be no reason at all for believing or not believing in god, and trying to use logic in this context because basically both sides are just a product of reactions and no one can be held accountable
What you believe in it is still very much based in this same illogic as religion it must be or you don't believe in anything. people very much try to keep saying there beliefs are still the only logical route, which is very unscientific, anyone who knows anything about science realizes very early that the only thing science supports at all is nihilism, which no one is arguing.
You honestly need to stop toting the nihilism argument. You're using a slippery slope, and it just makes you look ignorant.

Just because you think it's utterly hopeless does not mean everyone else shares your viewpoint.

And if anything, neuroscience opposes the traditional concept of "free will". Are you just pulling that part out of your ***, or do you actually have some sources?

this constant idea that religious people are stupider, more illogical, more violent than others is what I keep trying to address, and in my opinion still a very bigoted/ignorant way to perceive any religion. Its stupid, and the reasons people keep trying to find to separate it from other belief systems are ill founded and often times hypocritcal.
Often times yes, religious people are illogical. And you say it like it's some sort of grave slander against religious people. Isn't calling ignorant people ignorant an accurate stereotype?

just because a person believes in god has nothing to do with how good/how scientific a person is:
Just because i believe in god either, has in no way stopped me from being a good person, and from studying mathematics as a fave subject- Its when people say that because i believe in god i MUST be stupid/wrong whatever that is pissing me off, because you shouldn't be able to just stereotype people like that because you believe morals arrived differently, or you believe the world runs in different ways.
Just for the record, I read somewhere that mathematicians were listed as being the most likely group of scientists to believe in a higher power; I think it was an NAC poll. But I digress.

I believe in god for many reasons, to have a basis for morality, to believe in something beyond life, to believe that the world around me has value to it, and that learning and gaining experiences about science also have value to them.... you can believe whatever you want, but these things help me live and be a good person in a world that is otherwise meaningless and mad scientifically.
Again, you're asserting your insular and naive viewpoint onto things. Just because you label something as meaningless or pointless without some sort of objective moral system or invisible deity does not make it so.

I wish the mods would just start handing out infractions for this type of thing, because you literally repeat the same garbage in every post no matter how many times I or others address it. You guys are honestly like zombies. Do you actually read our replies?

And you guys have no right saying that i'm stupider or more violent because of it... if anything it has helped me care more about the world around me, unselfishly even....
I respecet if you are atheist as well, I love diversity in peoples beliefs and I love being able to have these sorts of choices about beliefs when it doesn't concern violence.... its when people try to say that certain ways of thinking are stupid, or won't tolerate other beliefs is when it gets aggravating.... people should err on the side of tolerance and try to fight violent actions rather than trying to tie those actions to a set of larger beliefs....
At least in my opnion, the atheist is a far more moral person based on the fact that his actions are driven by simply whether or not something is right or wrong, instead of because some guy in the sky told him to do it.

I, as a person, care for and value people because I think they're valuable and worth caring for, not because the Jewish war god Yahweh wrote that I should care for people on a stone thousands of years ago.

edit: and as for you not believing in blind faith is simply not true, you must have faith that certain logical processes to work in order to have any faith in science, in order to believe in logic, if you believe people can be held accountable for their actions you must have faith that people have free will, when you were first born you had to have blind faith in order to start thinking critically, you had to accept without question some laws that you have no proof for, what you believe in in science even requires blind faith half the time because you need to be able to take other people's proofs to heart when you yourself can't prove them... you have to take their words, you have to because some of the common proofs you use in mathematics are over a hundred pages long, and finally you have to have blind faith to believe that your life actually means something... even to yourself
You're confusing the meaning faith. Faith has absolutely no part in science.

Let's use that ridiculous chair example that everyone and their mother uses to argue this point. I'm not actually employing any faith when I assume the chair is going to hold me up when I sit down; I actually have very good reason to believe it will do just that. It's called evidence.

I've seen how the chair works; I've sat in it before and experienced it. I have evidence that supports my belief that it will hold me up.

Hive

Smash Lord
RDK i'm tired of showing your views on morality are illogical over and over again, do you honestly even read my replies do you even respond to most of the qs i ask?
yes science shows a nihilistic universe, the only reason i keep quoting it is because it is absolutely true to anyone who knows science,
I can show you proof from basic psych textbooks, steven hawking, brian greene, stephen plink (not sure if i got the name right->How the Mind Works), and most physicists,
hell most physicist aren't even sure whether this is all just a simulation or not at this point. If you haven't heard of the simulation theory in philosophy its very convincing, even likely if you think about it (not relevant just something to look into that's fun ^^)

I DONT believe everything is hopeless i just don't think absolute logic on everything can support anything but a hopeless world, so i think people have to have beliefs that extend beyond this.

I;m not ASSERTING my viewpoints onto other people either,if you think this you did not get my point at all... **** I actually hope no one just takes my word for what I believe in, my point is that MANY different beliefs should be tolerated, not just your own. Even if I could get the whole world to think like me I WOULDN'T, I love these differences in people and I love the diversity.
If you think i just keep repeating the same arguements you're wrong, you need to read more.

and the fact that neuroscience is opposed to free will is true as well... the basic theory behind neuroscience (the computational theory of the mind) directly assumes this.

saying everyone should be atheist because they have more "moral/nonviolent people" is just plain wrong
and even if it were true i can name like 10 other religions that have less crimerates than both christianity OR atheism... this isn't a valid argument.

And I never said faith had to do with science, but it does HAVE to do with the logic behind science...

I'm sorry if i'm angry right now, but really you pretty much distorted almost all of what I've been saying in my last posts T.T

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I find it amusing how one is arguing about nihilism yet if the universe were to be nihilistic, there wouldn't be such a thing as nihilism as a government wouldn't have existed in the first place and there's nothing to be nihilistic about... o_O

Basically, you can't have nihilism without a government in the first place, so if you have a government in the first place, your not purely nihilistic. Right?

Wow, anyways, I'm purely lost on this now. Give me a little step by step summary please, lol. xD

:093:

RDK

Smash Hero
RDK i'm tired of showing your views on morality are illogical over and over again, do you honestly even read my replies do you even respond to most of the qs i ask?
yes science shows a nihilistic universe, the only reason i keep quoting it is because it is absolutely true to anyone who knows science,
I can show you proof from basic psych textbooks, steven hawking, brian greene, stephen plink (not sure if i got the name right->How the Mind Works), and most physicists,
hell most physicist aren't even sure whether this is all just a simulation or not at this point. If you haven't heard of the simulation theory in philosophy its very convincing, even likely if you think about it (not relevant just something to look into that's fun ^^)

I DONT believe everything is hopeless i just don't think absolute logic on everything can support anything but a hopeless world, so i think people have to have beliefs that extend beyond this.

I;m not ASSERTING my viewpoints onto other people either,if you think this you did not get my point at all... **** I actually hope no one just takes my word for what I believe in, my point is that MANY different beliefs should be tolerated, not just your own. Even if I could get the whole world to think like me I WOULDN'T, I love these differences in people and I love the diversity.
If you think i just keep repeating the same arguements you're wrong, you need to read more.

and the fact that neuroscience is opposed to free will is true as well... the basic theory behind neuroscience (the computational theory of the mind) directly assumes this.

saying everyone should be atheist because they have more "moral/nonviolent people" is just plain wrong
and even if it were true i can name like 10 other religions that have less crimerates than both christianity OR atheism... this isn't a valid argument.

And I never said faith had to do with science, but it does HAVE to do with the logic behind science...

I'm sorry if i'm angry right now, but really you pretty much distorted almost all of what I've been saying in my last posts T.T
See below:

Atheists, being a moderate proportion of the USA population (about 8-16%) are disproportionately less numerous in the prison population (0.21%)

Japan (the most atheistic nation in the G-8) has the lowest murder rate while the United States (the most Christian nation in the G-8) has the highest. Japan used to have much stronger religious faith, and a state religion, and guess what: Japan was remarkably aggressive and militaristic when "Shinto" was at its peak, and during WW2, when its Emperor was regarded as a God.

Louisiana, with America's highest church attendance rate, has twice the national average murder rate.

If atheism causes violence, why are right-wing fundamentalists unable to find a shred of statistical evidence to back that claim up?
http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/12/26/atheism-theism-and-violence.htm

Sweden tops the list of numbers of atheists per capita (46-85%). It does not appear among the top 60 countries in the world for total crime rate. It does not show up in the top 65 countries for ****. It is not among the top 62 countries for murder.

Vietnam, where 81% of the population identifies as atheist or agnostic, does not appear on the list for total crime rate, ****, or murder.

Denmark:
atheist - 43 - 80%
total crimes - 92.83 per 1,000 people
murder - 0.01 per 1,000 people
**** - 0.09 per 1,000 people

Norway:
atheist - 31 - 72%
total crimes - 71.86 per 1,000 people
murder - 0.01 per 1,000 people
**** - 0.12 per 1,000 people

USA
atheist - 3 - 9%
total crimes - 80.06 per 1,000 people
murder - 0.04 per 1,000 people
**** - 0.30 per 1,000 people

Hive

Smash Lord
yes but once again I would argue that these numbers are uncorrelated in the sense you are talking about.

the reason areas with higher atheism rates have less crime is because areas with higher diversity have more atheists... and areas that are diverse have less crime NOT bc they have higher atheism but because they are non 3rd world countries that have more stable economies.
And in non 3rd world countries where the economy and gov. is stable its obvious the crime rate will drop.

Diversity in beliefs and higher atheism is usually the result of lower crime rates, and better economies, not the cause of it.

japan is so low because it has to do with what social norms are excepted there and there focus on community, it has very little to do with atheism or not... I bet if you found the crime rates for atheists vs. non atheists in japan the crimerates would still be similar, showing that it is not the cause of the belief system at all but of the society.

and still like i said before this still is not a reason to only allow one religion, once again there are religions that have better crimerates then both atheism and theism... still i would not try to force them upon anyone.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
the reason areas with higher atheism rates have less crime is because areas with higher diversity have more atheists
Not to be a **** but um, what country is more diverse than the US!? We WELCOME ANYONE!!

Hive

Smash Lord
in terms of belief actually there are quite a few in europe that have higher diversity rates I'm fairly sure...
I'm positive i've seen something about that recently, though i'm not actually sure where it is sorry :p

and don't worry you're not being a **** lol i don't care if you question what i'm saying, only when you do it by just insulting me w/o any reason at all like a few ppl have tried to do <.<

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Godidit
Since you love physics so much, and have a very adapt knowledge about it, then you should see that none of the miracles in the Bible have any credibility, and dismiss them. I think it funny that you can reject macro evolution and accept micro while you can hold on to the philosophy that miracles happen all of the time.

This is all assuming that the Christian god exists. What of other religions? I feel as if I'm repeating myself. Other religions may be correct because they have just as much of a chance, considering there are many religions. Has this never occurred to you, either?

Edit:
Mc4:

According to phycisists, there are an infinite number of universes existing simultaneously.Therefore, an infinite number of universes with no life and life exist. Anything probable is real. You seem to like physics a lot, right? Of course, you would know this.

He put it in layman terms. Also, they found an asteroid with a high concentrations of amino acids on it some time ago.... and early earth was bombarded with them.
Nah, I have no idea why some people think there were amino acids.
Anyways, life arose anyways. At least, life as we know it, through adaptation.

So for the first statement If I believe that God created the universe than I certainly believe that he can bend the rules as he sees fit. No I don't believe miracles happen all the time, I believe they happened in the Bible for a purpose. The bible also says that christians would no longer prophesying etc to supplement their faith basically in 1Corinthians chapter 13. So while i believe God did it with a purpose back then he doesn't need to do it (at least to the same degree ) as frequently now.

Also for the second statement it is assumed there are infinite other dimensions so to use that in a discussion about our Universe being the lucky one to get it right isn't enough because that is currently a theory that can't be proven. Also if there are infinite other universes there is nothing to say that there isn't life in those infinite other universes because we can't explore these universe. In other words perhaps God may have indeed created infinite other universes (or just several) and also created life in them. The point is you can't get around the math done showing that without a fine tuning of these 4 forces well we wouldn't have what we need to live. And if we have no hydrogen or heavier elements then all the things claimed to adapt can't adapt because well they wouldn't be in existence.

I'm not dismissing Amino Acids coming from asteroids as a possibility. I'm simply saying that it wasn't enough to start life. The amino acids even with a reducing atmosphere (much less oxygen than it has now) wouldn't have been able to allow for the conversion from amino acid to RNA or Protein. So if it were evolution on it's own it seems pretty likely that evolution would have died with the amino acids.

And as far as other religions besides christianity, well i don't think any of them have sources for their beliefs as credible as the bible. Which has a lot of secular proof. Obviously not necessarily the miracles but the archeology, history etc.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
the reason areas with higher atheism rates have less crime is because areas with higher diversity have more atheists... and areas that are diverse have less crime NOT bc they have higher atheism but because they are non 3rd world countries that have more stable economies.
And in non 3rd world countries where the economy and gov. is stable its obvious the crime rate will drop.
Um, Denmark and Norway aren't 3rd World Countries. =/
They seem to have lower crime rates than the US, which is both diverse and a non-third world country.

:093:

RDK

Smash Hero
One thing I forgot to put in there is that I believe Denmark and Sweden have the world's largest GDP, as well as the highest worker satisfaction or something along those lines, as they have the largest relative working population in the world.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Why does the fact that if there were slight differences in the position of the earth or gravitational forces defame the entire branch of evolutionary biology? Who gives a **** if things were a little bit different we wouldn't be here. That's the whole god**** point. We adapted to the conditions on earth, not the other way around. Anyone with a brain can see that. Oops.

When did I say evolution is more reliable than math? I said evolution has mountains of evidence and is, for all intents and purposes, more relaible than many theoretical branches of physics. That was the discussion; don't evade the point of my posts.

Evolution has nothing to do with where life came from; it simply explains the diversity found in life that we have today.

If you want to magically switch the discussion to abiogenesis, I'd be more than happy to school you in that too, as would everyone else here who has ever taken a high school course in biology.
It was more than slight changes in gravity first of all. It was about the slightest change in any of the forces. I'll tell you why it defames it. Evolution depends on organisms adapting, living organisms. Without something as simple as basic elements (like hydrogen) your organisms can't adapt. Are you telling me in a hydrogenless universe organisms can adapt. Hydrogen is roughly 70 percent of the universe, without that you got nothing basically. And guess what, some of the changes that i mentioned such as the slight difference of 2 percent in the strong force say that either hydrogen wouldn't exist (if 2 percent stronger) or that the heavier elements wouldn't (if 2 percent weaker). Is your argument now that the forces may have adapted to support life? lol.

Second i'm not evading your point. Because the physics I mentioned was math and thats the physics I was talking about when I asked if you are saying evo is more reliable than math. That stuff wasn't theoretical buddy.

And yes evo does attempt to explain where life came from. If you are talking about asteroids being the source of amino acid (i'm not necessarily disputing that) then yes you are attempting to say where life "came from". lol and please oh please don't school me lol.

Oh and to one more time clarify that you can believe in micro evo and not macro is what I once overheard a biology teacher in highschool say who believed and taught evolution. A student was stating her reason for not believing in evolution. The teacher said (not the exact words but the general idea) " You need to be specific. Are you saying that you don't believe in micro evolution or macro evolution. Because micro evolution has been proven..." So you can believe that small changes happen and not believe that these changes culminate into a completely different and or more complex species.

Hive

Smash Lord
One thing I forgot to put in there is that I believe Denmark and Sweden have the world's largest GDP, as well as the highest worker satisfaction or something along those lines, as they have the largest relative working population in the world.
oh ok, that's kwl i didn't know that ^^ maybe i should move to sweden lol
(not for the work though @.@ lol)

your points are good btw ^^ .. i just don't think any religion shouldn't be tolerated you know what i mean? I mean, you can disagree with it, most religions i disagree with too, i just don't see the need to ban them....
crime rates for example are higher in a lot of groups and belief sytems too not just for religion... I just don't think its a good reason overall...
i mean even among certain races, sexes, ages, how much money you make, what job you are in, and a lot of other factors account for higher crime rates as well, but when empathy isn't concerned i feel we need to allow as much diversity as we can... and i think for the most part religion IS a good thing... as is atheism... just different really...

anyways I know i keep hitting you with this same point over and over again, I'm sure it gets a little annoying too after awhil, and I'm sorry for that... its just really at the heart of everything i'm saying so please don't get mad if i do use it often ^^
i like arguing with you btw ^^ even when i don't agree with you at all :D its just sort of fun sometimes :)

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Oh really, how so? People have got to start to learn that just by saying "This is true" does not make it true at all.

Anyway, empathy is real, despite your evidence-free and citation-less claim. It's been observed and tested for, not only in humans, but in primates and other mammals as well.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...tes&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a (I hope this link works, let me know if it doesn't. It's kind of a weird one.)

The fact that you didn't know about this established tenant of psychology shows that you didn't even bother doing the meanest and most basic of research into the stuff you're trying to talk about. Already, your whole argument has been undermined. Please, learn to research such things before trying to establish an argument or position on them. It will save you from such embarrassments and make you a more knowledgeable and wiser person for it.

Well, empathy does exist, as shown above. Free will is a more subjective area, vulnerable to arguments over semantics, but I will say that neuroscience does not directly oppose free will, but it's not a free will in the sense you seem to believe it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will#Neuroscience

The free will that we have and enjoy is really more of a, to borrow a phrase from the wikipedia page, "free won't", or a freedom to choose not to do an action that is put forth by the unconscious parts of the brain (probably originating from the amygdala and the limbic system). Yes, there are reactions we have that are involuntary and over which our conscious brain (the neocortex) does not directly control or enact upon, but that's mostly stuff that doesn't even need to rise to the conscious level, like breathing, your heart pumping blood, secreting hormones, digesting food, etc, etc. However, there can be certain situations in which your body will take actions involuntarily that aren't part of the normal unconscious homeostasis your body tries to maintain. Here's an example. You're alone, late at night, walking through the woods. You're nervous and scared, anxiously looking around to make nothing is following you or going to attack you. Suddenly, a friend of yours leaps out unexpectedly from behind a tree, yelling "boo!". You'll probably automatically let out a scream, and maybe start to run away, or even involuntarily punch at your friend.

Normally, such actions as running, yelling, and punching would be under your conscious jurisdiction, but in this case, it was not. It was completely automatic and involuntary. You had no choice in what you did, your body just did it. This is what happened in your brain (in a brief overview). Your senses have a large connection to your frontal lobe of your neocortex, which is where the brain does such things as analyzing and logistical thinking. The connection is large, so the frontal lobe receives a highly accurate and detailed report from your sense. However, the issue is that the connection and processing time for such information is slow (relatively speaking), and in life-or-death situations, waiting around for your frontal lobe to fully process the information its receiving and then deciding the best course of action can take way too long, you'll have probably died. The brain also has a quicker way to respond to incoming stimuli. There is also a direct connection from the senses to the amygdala, the emotional center of the brain. This connection is much faster than the one to the frontal lobes, but it sacrifices accuracy and detail for speed. It therefore can react very quickly to pressing stimuli, but can only make very broad, general reactions to the situation, nothing as precise or as fine-tuned as the frontal lobes can do.

Now, when your brain receives stimuli from the environment, the information gets sent along both of those path ways. The result is that your amygdala makes you feel an emotional response to stimuli before you've fully consciously understood and processed the information in your frontal lobes. That's why you react in such a way to your friend, particularly because you were already primed in a state of anxiety. Your amygdala, in its quick imprecision, realized that something was coming told you and made you react to it before you could fully realize what it was and how much of a threat it actually was to you. Generally, though, the amygdala does not force an action before the frontal lobes has fully processed and understood a situation, only in situations where speed is of the essence.

Due to the impreciseness of the amygdala, it can send out an emotional response that can be inappropriate for the situation, and that's where your frontal lobes come in. The frontal lobes have the ability to check on the emotional signals that the amygdala is sending out, and either let them continue on their way or suppress them. That's where the free will (or, rather, free won't) comes in. Your amygdala will send out emotional information on how you feel about a situation, but it's up to your frontal lobes to actually decide whether to enact upon that emotion or to ignore it and pursue another course of action.

To give an example of such a decision to not follow your initial emotional response is, say, seeing a homeless man on the street. You feel sympathy for him, and want to give him something, but you know you've spent a lot of money recently, so you have to save your cash. You then suppress and go against your original emotional response, and then decide not to give him money because you can't really afford to.

As for "good" and "bad", such things are so nebulously defined, but with our sense of empathy, we definitely have been able to call things as such.

Yes, people can be held accountable, for reasons described above.

Ok, I have no idea where you got the idea that the only thing science supports is nihilism, and I've even gone all the way back to the post you first mentioned it in. We can formulate reasons to live, have morality, be empathetic, and we most definitely have a consciousness all within scientific theory and bounds.

First off, I'd like to point out that Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Stephen Hawking, and Richard Dawkins, to name a few well-known scientists, all, I can safely say, know science better and much more extensively than you do, yet none of them are/were nihilists.

Second off, through evolutionary theory, it has been shown that it is profitable and best, if not inevitable, for species and organisms to learn and adapt to roles of cooperation, and in more complex creatures (such as mammals), learn and evolve such things as empathy, altruism, and morality. You can read more about that through these links.

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cach...thy&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/altruism-biological/

Also, I don't think I've ever, and I constantly try to avoid to (if I have failed at that, please tell me), called religious people "stupid". I don't come with the judgment that people are dumber than me. There could be people who're technically and have the potential to be smarter than I am, but they're simply filled or stunted by misinformation and ignorance. More illogical, on the other hand, yes they are, because they don't even have the evidence to explain any of the conclusions they come to about universe or the world. They just simply parrot (bad) information that was stuffed into them and told not to question (for the most part).

As for more violent, well it seems to be. From Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation, he quotes a statistical study correlating crime rates to politically conservative ("red") states, which are generally conservative for religious reasons, to politically liberal ("blue") states.

Of the twenty-five cities with the lowest rates of violent crime, 62 percent are in “blue” states and 38 percent are in “red” states. Of the twenty-five most dangerous cities, 76 percent are in red states, 24 percent in blue states. In fact, three of the five most dangerous cities in the United States are in the pious state of Texas. The twelve states with the highest rate of burglary are red. Twenty-four of the twenty-nine states with the highest rate of theft are red. Of the twenty-two states with the highest rates of murder, seventeen are red.
Combine that with the potential unrestrained violence that religious beliefs can bring out in people (to, once again, cite things like suicide bombers, 9/11, and the Inquisition), yes, religious people seem to have a higher capacity for violence, or at least for a "rationality" that lets them act it out. It's not bigoted at all, it's the plain and simple truth, and sometimes it hurts. It would be bigoted if we had no evidence or reason to claim such things about them (something that religious people seem all too ready to do to homosexuals and atheists, or even other religions).

I believe in god for many reasons, to have a basis for morality, to believe in something beyond life, to believe that the world around me has value to it, and that learning and gaining experiences about science also have value to them.... you can believe whatever you want, but these things help me live and be a good person in a world that is otherwise meaningless and mad scientifically. And you guys have no right saying that i'm stupider or more violent because of it... if anything it has helped me care more about the world around me, unselfishly even....
I don't doubt that you are a good person, or try to be one, and I'm perfectly aware that most religious people aren't at all the kind of person who's going to strap a bomb to themselves, or go out and shoot a doctor for performing abortions, or that sort of stuff. But the fact is that by allowing religion to go unquestioned and uncriticized, giving it a sense of legitimacy gives the opportunity for such people that do such things to appear. The line between nonviolent, moderate religion (this is aimed in particular at the Judaic derived religions, but it could apply to more) and the fundamentalist and fanatical religion is a small and, if you really study it, painfully arbitrary divide. All it takes is one moderately religious person to start believing in those more violent, oppressive, and intolerant aspects of the bible/torah/koran, and, presto, you've got a fundamentalist.

Then you get things like Al-Qaeda, dominionists, and jihadists. I would love to be tolerant of beliefs other than mine, but unfortunately, I cannot tolerate intolerance, which is one of the things that religion often imprints upon people, intolerance. Intolerance at people who have differing religious views, different sexual preferences, and even just plain racism.

http://adultthought.ucsd.edu/Culture_War/The_American_Taliban.html

You seem to be mistaking "trust" as "blind faith". Faith, in pertinence to religion, generally means believing in a supernatural claim, or a claim of some sort of transcendent reality. Blind faith, in particular, means that you concentrate and believe solely and only in that belief, regardless of what the evidence says, where it leads you, and how internally conflicted it is. You believe in it no matter what.

I never was like that. Sure, I had to trust people or take people's word for it at some points or for some things in my life, but I never, ever had blind faith about anything. I always checked to make sure what I was told was true, always tried keeping up in the evidence. If the claim I took in or had went against the evidence or was proved to be false, I did not cling to it regardless, I would drop it, and pick up the new claim or theory instead that did have support of the evidence. Constantly and rigorously checking to make sure that my beliefs are as cohesive, consistent, and accurate as possible.

As for meaning in my life, I simply have to look at my friends, my family, and other people I've cared for, and see what affect I've had upon to see what meaning my life has had thus far. That didn't take any "blind faith", it simply took observation.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Hive, so basically, you choose to believe in something you have never seen, has never been observed, there is absolutely no proof of, while rejecting the opposite of all of that?

And at the same time, you're expected to be taken as an intelligent person? At the same time, you expect to be the one who is pissed off?

Just because the word "faith" has positive connotations, doesn't mean you can ride on it throughout a debate. In fact, it would be much easier to defend the following premise:

Black holes are gateways to other dimensions. If I am spaghettified through one hole, I should be de-spaghettified through the other "end."

Than to defend something that is not observeable, and it is based on faith and faith alone.

Apologies for digressing but another argument I hate is the following:

God followers believe that because they see[size=-10](and this goes against a fundamental law, seeing as our universe runs through entropy)[/size] "order," that it must be the work of Intelligent Design, or the "plan" of a creator. However, that's a load of nonsense when you analyze the following:

What we call "order" is derived from EXISTING CONDITIONS. Regardless of what debates may rise, the existing conditions provide for "order.' Everything within these existing conditions are related to every other thing. If for example:

Forget our existing laws of physics for a moment, and the world around you as you know it. If all the planets revolved around us, including the sun, this would be the "established order." Anything outside of that(For example, us revolving around the sun) would be labeled as disorder. Even if it's the absolute opposite of what we experience today.

This is why I love this quote/assertion from http://www.infidels.org/ :

"any combination of conditions or circumstances in which we might find ourselves would appear "orderly" to our perception, because it is the existing conditions which establish the order."

Hive

Smash Lord
no, all I want is for people to put aside there differences and be tolerant of each others beliefs whether they believe in god or not...
my last post didn't sum this up as well so I took it down, and... probably i'm going to end up stopping arguing for now anyways,... too much inflammation really but mainly i just think that ppls minds are set..., and some misquoting pulling up irrelevant quotes in science, honestly I know a lot more about these subjects then you'd expect and I haven't seen many ppl anyone use science in an appropriate matter oftentimes. Science is what we know of the world, it doesn't tell you how to live or what to believe in, or even why to live. Stephen Hawking wrote a whole section about it in A Brief History of Time if you can only believe popular physicists too... most physicists have. So really... if we do believe beyond that then there are things that we believe that can't be proven... at least in my opinion
People just need to respect the choices of others in this matter if they believe in god or not.. not doing so is just intolerance, and obviously so. We can work together to be a better race even if these differences exist.
and actually... trying to dictate if someone believes in god or not is sort of silly if you think about it... its basically a personal choice and I pity anyone who would try to force that upon anyone.

as for the crime rate thing... like I said before... "higher crime rates" can be twisted to cover almost ANY group of people... but the fact remains violence in this group as well as others is still a very very small percentage.
If you want I can pull up statistics that show many ages, jobs, races, sexualities, sexes, economic statuses, beliefs, even atheism has a higher crime rate than ____. Its just not a good argumnet imo.

anyways, like I said i'm going to be done for now... ^^ and... i hope you guys at least had a little fun arguing this, i know i did :D

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I agree with you on the following:

People should be left alone to believe whatever they want as long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others.

I also agree that the current "look" of christianity is a NECESSITY by some. Give it time...

A great example is my Human Growth and Development teacher. She's 31, beautiful mind, accepts that a creator is beyond bogus, but she told me she "talks to an imaginary guardian angel," in times of depression for psychological purposes. If she is able to use this coping mechanism to help her feel better, then so be it. :)

What does get to me are people who try to defend a lost cause, purely on faith and 0% evidence. Usually because they don't understand certain intermediate steps, and for their own psychological purposes, just so they feel better, try to debunk factual information through a man-made text and a circular reasoning deriving from that very same man-made text to prove the existence of a ghost.

Hive

Smash Lord
I agree with you on the following:

People should be left alone to believe whatever they want as long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others.

I also agree that the current "look" of christianity is a NECESSITY by some. Give it time...

]
lmao cute comic ^^
ty btw, it makes me happy that someon agrees with me on that :D ...really that's all i wanted ^^.. I'm not even christian lol... i just think people should have that right...
I believe in god though... just bc it helps me cope with the world, to personally have a reason to be good, place value in it, and believe life means something more... I never meant to say that anyone else should believe these things as well... or that you should agree with me ^^
I only wanted to say that "yes i believe these things, and we're different but that's ok"
and still.. i believe we can look at things in a religious perspective AND a scientific one even if they contradict each other... like the author of "How the Mind Works" said for those who have read that....
I have nothing against most any form of atheism or theism ^^ and the only reason it looks like i've been really attacking atheism lately is bc i want to show that we no one's religion makes them a lesser person....
I still think we do all share beliefs in at least SOME illogical beliefs... it seems obvious from my point of view, but if you don't believe that I'm not going to try to argue it either right now...

anyways, like i said i'll probably stop arguing now ^^ sorry lol
and, yea i had fun ^^
(still wish some people like lordofthemorning and reaver would change how they feel lol, but oh well ;) )

Reaver197

Smash Lord
no, all I want is for people to put aside there differences and be tolerant of each others beliefs whether they believe in god...
my last post didn't sum this up as well so I took it down, and... probably i'm going to end up stopping arguing for now anyways,... this is going nowhere... too much inflammation really, and ALOT of misquoting pulling up irrelevant quotes in science, honestly I know a lot more about these subjects then you'd expect and I haven't seen barely anyone use anything related to science in an appropriate matter at all. Science is what we know of the world, it doesn't tell you how to live or what to believe in, or even why to live. period. Stephen Hawking wrote a whole section about it in A Brief History of Time if you can only believe popular physicists too... most physicists have. People really need to respect the choices of others in this matter if they believe in god or not.. not doing so is just intolerance, and obviously so. We can work together to be a better race even if these differences exist.
and actually... trying to dictate if someone believes in god or not is sort of silly if you think about it... its basically a personal choice and I pity anyone who would try to force that upon anyone.

as for the crime rate thing... like I said before... "higher crime rates" can be twisted to cover almost ANY group of people... but the fact remains violence in this group as well as others is still a very very small percentage.
If you want I can pull up statistics that show many ages, jobs, races, sexualities, sexes, economic statuses, beliefs, even atheism has a higher crime rate than ____. Its just not a good argumnet imo.

anyways, like I said i'm going to be done for now... ^^ and... i hope you guys at least had a little fun arguing this, i know i did :D
I'm sorry that you feel like you have to stop debating. As for tolerance in the belief of a god (or gods, or animistic spirits, or whatever), that in of itself does not bother me at all. I'm perfectly fine and willing to let someone believe in a god if they want to. The issue is, however, that building up of such a belief includes building up a whole network and system of beliefs, and it is some of these things that get built up along with a belief in god that I have an issue with, such as, for example, the bible stating that homosexuality is a "sin" and should be punished by death, and so should working on a Saturday (which can be something as simple as picking up sticks apparently). It's these beliefs that preclude any tolerance of certain kind of people or actions irregardless of intentions and what it actually affects that I have an issue with. Unfortunately, the only way to dissuade people from believing such things is to also dissuade them from the authenticity and authority they believe it comes from.

I do not think all or every religion is or has to be intolerant or violent though. Buddhism comes to mind for me as a religion that while I might doubt the reality of the things they believe in, I probably would not argue with or debate over because their beliefs has never really manifested in such a manner to threaten the happiness and lives of other people, unlike the Judaic religions. If the beliefs and claims that were extolled by these religions did not attack and punish people for not believing what they believe, let them change their minds, not be automatically intolerant and/or violent towards other ideologies and/or sexualities, and were instead truly peaceable and did nothing to infringe on others people's right to happiness, knowledge, and even their right to live, then I would have no issue with religious belief and would not debate it with the energy and enthusiasm that I do now.

As for using science in an appropriate manner, misquoting it, and using irrelevant quotes, it would seem that if you did know science as well as you claim you do, you would've found ample contrary, scientific evidence and citations to suggest otherwise. I would be gladly proven wrong in order to further improve my understanding of the world and the universe, I love to learn new knowledge. But, when you just sit there complaining that we're "misquoting" or using "irrelevant" quotes, or applying it "inappropriately" yet do not provide any evidence or reason as to how and why, it does not really make it seem like you actually do have a legitimate and supported position. It makes it just seem like you're arguing for the sake of arguing it, refusing to give up your beliefs in the face of evidence.

You're absolutely right in that science does not tell us how to live, or why to live. I've never intentionally claimed otherwise, however, if it seems that I have at some point, that would be me writing poorly and not clearly enough, for which I then will apologize for. However, as for what to believe in, science does place some limits, like for a basic and silly example, the belief that you'll be able to repudiate gravity and fly around, unaided by any sort of external device or mechanism for flying. Science does, however, set up a framework and reference for how we may decide what to believe, how to live, and what we live for (which is both essentially dependent upon beliefs anyway). It's wholly possible to set up a system of beliefs that empathetic towards others (moral), while also obeying scientific evidence and theory, which scientific theory would have to include anyway, since we've always had empathy and it has been verified many times over, so any scientific hypothesis that goes against us having empathy would be wrong. As for whether what types of scientists I would believe and look to for forming my morals and outlook on life, I would have (and have done so) look at all of them. You have to see the whole scope of science, not just one field of it. If that wasn't directed at me, then I apologize.

That's also the thing with religion currently, it often forces itself upon other people's lives, sometimes brutally. Trying to get evolution to be stopped being taught at schools, or teach that, somehow, it's wrong. Stopping stem cell research, stopping abortions (sometimes to the point where they'll actually kill doctors for performing them). The people that died during 9/11 were given no choice or say in the religious beliefs of the hijackers that tragically killed them. Suicide bombers kill people all the time, without a chance for those other people to decide at all or not. Religion was forced upon those people in a most horrible and fatal way.

As for the crime rates thing, and the other statistical surveys as well, where's your reason or proof that such statistics are, and can be, "twisted"? Please bring them up. Currently, we have multiple people citing multiple studies done that point towards one conclusion. Fighting against them while giving no proof to the contrary only makes it seem like you're resisting to accept the possibility that you could be wrong.

I also saw your old post before you got rid of it, and I just wanted to say that I hope I didn't come across as trying to, figuratively, "slit your throat". I bear no anger or dislike towards you at all, and have been simply trying to help you along towards reaching a higher level of knowledge and understanding, either about your own arguments or mine. I try to never to react with the knee jerk reaction against people who try to point out things wrong with my beliefs. I consider and entertain the possibility that they might be right, see what the implications of it are, what it means, and what the evidence says about it. If the evidence and proof is against it (or at least, all the evidence and proof that I have at my disposal, which is a limited amount), then I have to reject it. I hope that I never came off as being combative or over-bearing, and if I did, I'm sorry about that. Anyway, it's always stimulating and exciting to debate with people, because it always causes me to rethink and reappraise my knowledge, view it in different ways, and even learn new things I didn't other wise know.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Well... I'm gonna have to relax a bit as far as the Debate Hall goes. I've got schoolwork to do.

Anyways:
What does get to me are people who try to defend a lost cause, purely on faith and 0% evidence. Usually because they don't understand certain intermediate steps, and for their own psychological purposes, just so they feel better, try to debunk factual information through a man-made text and a circular reasoning deriving from that very same man-made text to prove the existence of a ghost.

The whole idea is that it's all set up so that if you're outside looking in you, won't see any evidence. Christianity requires faith, but you have to keep in mind that faith is rewarded, often by confirming signs that your faith is welcome and appreciated (again I speak from personal experience, I don't expect that to go far in a debate). There is no visible evidence of God that you can see? That's the whole point. God doesn't want to prove he exists until you have faith in him. Obviously, he remains hidden quite well if people like you guys think the way you do. Now, this may sound like a rationalization, some way for me to say (God exists no matter what you guys say:(), but that's really the way it works. If it worked any other way, it would require no effort to be a good Christian.

You argue that miracles only occur under doubtful, unverified circumstances? I should think so, if they happened right in front of CNN's cameras, the secret would be out wouldn't it? They generally occur in a private setting, which is why atheist searching for miracles never find any that they can anounce as "credible".

Hopefully I'll get around to responding to all the other points you brought up in the past pages too.:ohwell:

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Lol, you don't have to if don't want to/don't have the time to. I know how difficult and time-consuming it can be, especially on top of the fact you have to keep up with the new things people post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom