• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Boost Smash [Video Update]

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see this mentioned in the "Falco's tips, advanced techniques, and others" post, nor did I find much reference to it anywhere else. After learning about Snake's insane technique, I tried applying it to other characters. So far, Falco's is the best I've found, next to snake of course. I actually prefer Falco's version more because with a bit of practice, you're able to take full control of it. I can now vary its distance from just in front of me, to spanning half of FD. I think it adds a ton to Falco's game, so I find it odd that no one is making mention of this.

VIDEO UPDATE: http://tinyurl.com/6yz3uq

In case anyone doesn't already know what I'm talking about, you can make Falco's upsmash slide great distances by initiating a dash attack and then inputting the upsmash immediately afterwards. To increase ease of use, people have figured out that you can dash, hit down on the c-stick, then immediately hit up on the joystick and press z.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I didn't see this mentioned in the "Falco's tips, advanced techniques, and others" post, nor did I find much reference to it anywhere else. After learning about Snake's insane technique, I tried applying it to other characters. So far, Falco's is the best I've found, next to snake of course. I actually prefer Falco's version more because with a bit of practice, you're able to take full control of it. I can now vary its distance from just in front of me, to spanning half of FD. I think it adds a ton to Falco's game, so I find it odd that no one is making mention of this. I have no means to record, so if someone else can post a video of Falco doing this, I'm sure plenty of people would appreciate it.

In case anyone doesn't already know what I'm talking about, you can make Falco's upsmash slide great distances by initiating a dash attack and then inputting the upsmash immediately afterwards. To increase ease of use, people have figured out that you can dash, hit down on the c-stick, then immediately hit up on the joystick and press z.
WOW YOU'RE FAR OFF BUDDY. Thanks for checking first though, but this has been LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG known. :)

J4pu

Smash Champion
It has a different name for Falco, Boost Smash, I believe this name is common to the tech in general unlike Snake's "mortar slide" name.
and you exaggerate way too much, it can't reach anywhere near half of FD's length, MAYBE a quarter.
And with Falco's you can DLX cancel it so that both the dash attack and the upsmash hit. (I believe this is at least somewhat specific to Falco since I tried it with Fox whose dash Attack and up smash are dittos and I couldn't get it.)

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
With Fox, it's much harder to perform. At 1/4 speed in training mode, I could do the boost smash, but that's it. I think it's better with Falco, anyways. It really works well with his chaingrab.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm aware that the technique has been around for a long time. What I was pointing out was what you seem not to believe. It can go half the distance of FD. That is why I was surprised no one was making a bigger deal about it. Not only can it go that distance, but like I said, you are able to manipulate it so you can alter the distance depending on your situation... something that Snake's can't do. I can't imagine that I'm the only one that has been able to get it extending this length, but if no one posts a video in the next few days, I'll see what I can do.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Um, this thread shows why you actually didn't look hard enough. This, Short Hop Lasers, and the DLX?Gattling Combo probably occupy 4/5 of the threads on this forum.

tl;dr: Do a better job searching before making a thread. These techniques have been discussed into the ground. We are well aware of what they do, we do not need any more of these worthless threads cluttering the boards.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Um, this thread shows why you actually didn't look hard enough. This, Short Hop Lasers, and the DLX?Gattling Combo probably occupy 4/5 of the threads on this forum.

tl;dr: Do a better job searching before making a thread. These techniques have been discussed into the ground. We are well aware of what they do, we do not need any more of these worthless threads cluttering the boards.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO did he win???

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Yes.
not only snake has the dashcancel.
you can do this with alot of characters...(jiggs ftw).

now onto serious business.
i saw this ad in the middle of the thread, it concerned me.
"SMASH MOUTH RINGTONES" on smashboards..
what a brilliant advertising scheme......

LMFAO..this topic was going nowhere,
unrelated picture is unrelated.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Well, I'm aware that the technique has been around for a long time. What I was pointing out was what you seem not to believe. It can go half the distance of FD. That is why I was surprised no one was making a bigger deal about it. Not only can it go that distance, but like I said, you are able to manipulate it so you can alter the distance depending on your situation... something that Snake's can't do. I can't imagine that I'm the only one that has been able to get it extending this length, but if no one posts a video in the next few days, I'll see what I can do.
Video or bs

zamz

Smash Journeyman

Smash Mouth came before SSB =) .

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
The original japanese video showed him sliding at varying lengths. Including where he slides half of FD.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Smash Mouth came before SSB =) .
Fuck smashmouth, they can smash my D!ck....
nevermind...but you get what i mean though..Lame advertising makes me giggle.
"Lets advertise our ringtones on every site with 'smash' in the address"
whoever thought of that should be fired..or if its not a real job-
get hit by a vehicle/something large moving at high speeds(dick?)

i havent see falcos 'extended mortar slide' but id like to.
it always depends on how you time it..falcos comes out too fast..not alot of opportunity...

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Smash Mouth has no control over their own ads. The advertising company responcible for spreading name recognition for music bands paid Google Ads to advertise for them. Google Ads then found websites with related words, and put the ad on those sites.

Smash Mouth
Smash Brothers

It's in not the failure of a band's fault. It's Google's fault. XD You can't get mad at them...

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman

The consensus of most people responding here is that "Boost Smashing" half of FD isn't possible for Falco, yet redgreenblue reports that there is a video out there demonstrating just that. It would have been nice if he had linked to it, but perhaps I will be able to find it or create a demonstration of my own. Either way, the video will show that this particular technique is not yet fully understood by the general population. The purpose of this thread was to bring that to light. Instead, ignorance and spite has flooded from just about everyone here. When a video is posted, hopefully this topic will help educate people about the potential of the technique.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Smash Mouth has no control over their own ads. The advertising company responcible for spreading name recognition for music bands paid Google Ads to advertise for them. Google Ads then found websites with related words, and put the ad on those sites.

Smash Mouth
Smash Brothers

It's in not the failure of a band's fault. It's Google's fault. XD You can't get mad at them...
google sucks too! **** them/it!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Whao! you just got burned TWO times.

Video or bs
if everyone knew it and was tired of hearing about it, this guy and other ppl would proly be more quick to believe him, doncha think?

Yes.
not only snake has the dashcancel.
you can do this with alot of characters...(jiggs ftw).

and if you guys didnt need more useless BS "cluttering up your precious char. board, everyone wouldnt be so quick to discuss google's marketting campaign.

:laugh: trying takig a chill pill before you try to blast somebody out of your "precious" falco's forum.:laugh: stop losing so hard

Binx

Smash Master
I think im gonna go out and buy every smash mouth CD, also the "mortor slide" for lack of a better term for falco doesn't seem nearly as usefull because he can be punished from it, whats makes snake's so good is the fact that you pretty much can't grab him out of it and if you do chase him the mortor is gonna fall on you and your head will esplode! to make up for him being hit during it.

What makes falco good is the fact that he has an amazing projectile game and a really, really good grab game.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I can't tell what's worse, the fact that this thread was made, or the fact that there are still people going ": O, falco cn slied? broken lol!!"

God praise the short attention span.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
well it may at least help knowing the distance of the motorslide and may catch your opponent off guard if he or she is trying to land back on the stage

I'll think of it as payback for all the times metaknight shuttle looped me, and when he misses, i'll be on the ground waiting to up smash that sucker lol

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
... also the "mortor slide" for lack of a better term for falco doesn't seem nearly as usefull because he can be punished from it, whats makes snake's so good is the fact that you pretty much can't grab him out of it and if you do chase him the mortor is gonna fall on you and your head will esplode! to make up for him being hit during it.
I agree that it isn't nearly as safe as Snake's, but Falco's boost smash comes out incredibly fast and at variable distances (which you have complete control over). Those two factors make it an indispensable tool. The thing I use it most for so far is to harass every mistake my opponent makes. If he is lagged after any failed attack, I can be in his face with an upsmash in a fraction of a second.

Blad01

Smash Lord
My bad, i don't know how you slide so far ? ôO

I just can get 1/4 of DF at max... Do you have a tips or anything ?

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
The only advice I can really offer is what I got from reading up on boost smashing myself. Turn tap jump off. The idea is to do a dash attack (I dash and then use down-c) and then immediately up smash (I use Z + up on the analog stick). The quicker they are done in succession, the faster and further your boost smash will come out. The reason tap jump should be off is so that if you hit up on the analog stick too soon, you don't accidentally jump instead of up smash.

Other than that, practice makes perfect. If you keep having trouble with it, let me know what happens (i.e. Do you just keep dash attacking? Do you do a running grab? Do you do a d-air?) and maybe I can give some more specific advice.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
First of all, Mortar Sliding is the name for Snake's Boost Smash.

Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

This video (at 0:57 to 1:07) shows that Falco's boost Smash's range is from more than 1/4 to close to 1/2 the distance of Final D when done correctly (this is just the boost smash, not his gatling combo which is much shorter) but its not quite there yet.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I've been referring to it as boost smashing since the name was first pointed out to me in post #4. It's a shame I can't change the title of the thread. Thanks for posting that video, it's much better quality than what I was able to put up.

Beowulf Lee

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble doing this. Let me get this straight.

1. Start dashing.
2. Do dash attack
3. Up-smash before dash attack animation starts

Is that right?

J4pu

Smash Champion
I'm having trouble doing this. Let me get this straight.

1. Start dashing.
2. Do dash attack
3. Up-smash before dash attack animation starts

Is that right?
Dash
push C-stick down to do Dash Attack
press Z and analog stick up at almost the same time to perform the Up-smash

(You do the up-smash with Z as soon as the dash attack comes out)
(practice just standing and up-smashing using the Z button first)

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I already knew about the length it can have, but I just wanted to say that it's all about timing. Different timing results in a different animation. To achieve the maximum length, I believe it's not how fast you cancel, but how fast you begin the dash attack cancel after you begin the dash. So as soon as you initiate the dash, down c-stick and up z immediately. I'll test it out tomorrow, but I believe thats how I do it for its full length.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
To achieve the maximum length, I believe it's not how fast you cancel, but how fast you begin the dash attack cancel after you begin the dash. So as soon as you initiate the dash, down c-stick and up z immediately. I'll test it out tomorrow, but I believe thats how I do it for its full length.
I thought that at first too, but it isn't the case. I guess the way I am able to pull it out so quickly is by doing a mini "hadouken." Start withe the dash forward, then do a half circle up in the same motion. While that is happening with your left hand, use your right thumb to tap down on the c-stick, and your right index finger to smash Z. When I first started trying to do it all mid run, my hand wasn't moving as fast as when it was using the fluid "hadouken" motion. Now I can dash, run across half of FD, and then start the boost smash and still make it across the other half. It's all about how quickly you can cancel the dash attack with the up smash. The quicker they are done in succession, the faster and further your boost smash will come out.

Top Bottom