• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's Moveset In-Depth Analysis: Week 2 - Falcon F-Tilt

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I use dtilt with my jab game, mainly if they're too far away to grab. Just as a mix-up. Worth noting it's one of our best-ranged moves. Only outclassed by utilt and maybe dsmash.

Jab->Jab->Dtilt

You can hit opponents hanging from the ledge with it, utilt is better for that though.

It has its purposes, other moves just fulfill those roles better.

2 Knees out of 5.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
agree so far with what darky and lordhelmet said. Some times I use it to set up a knee.

Fun fact d-tilt will clank with marth f-smash.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dtilt. It's a bit slow (frame 11) and a bit laggy, but the range is good and the knockback is very interesting. That little pop-up sets up for an aerial (knee is too obvious but when it works it's awesome), a dash attack or a dash/pivot grab. It all depends on how the opponent reacts.

And yes jab jab Dtilt is legit.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Disagreed with lordhelmet, I'd give it a 3 out of 5 based on range and for being fast. The cooldown time is bad, though, so yeah...

@PZ what exactly do you mean? I was aware of that, but that was after a FF aerial. I was talking when Falcon is in a standing position. i.e. Jab->Jab->DTilt.

Or even just a surprise Dtilt, while walking towards the opponent (walking instead of running is legit).

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The only reason I would give it as high as a 2/5 is:

1.) After a FH Nair, low as it can possibly go, on a floaty character.
2.) After a FH Nair -> Jab -> Jab on the remainder of the roster.

Too much cooldown time and awkward frame-rate to be viable otherwise.
Otherwise, I would give it a 1/5. It's really not that good of a move. There's much better options.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Better options? I don't think we have other moves that come out as fast as Dtilt and have that much range.

But ah well *shrugs* not going to argue. Guess I should use it less often.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Frame 11 is not fast guys. That's almost an average smash attack speed. Plus that's as fast as it can be, you won't always be instant inputting dtilt (to skip the crouching animation).

I'm not positive on the range, it's good but it still has an only decent hitbox area. In other words, you can only hit someone on the ground or really close to Falcon's legs. Whereas utilt and ftilt are both good anti-air options.

EDIT:

At Slader, I would put [collapses] for each move to make it look cleaner, since this should eventually get filled up with other moves, but that's up to you obviously.

If you want to, you could put an overall move usefulness (Jab for 5 Falcons / Ftilt for 3 or 4 Falcons). And complete frame data and frame / block advantage if you would like, I can help you with that as well.

As for ftilt, I'm surprised to see you didn't include the 3-hit ftilt lock and the wall lock.

/endrant

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It probably really is faster. Whenever I'm fighting, I always get the feeling that d-tilt is safer to use than f-tilt... Sounds kinda unscientific, but I always get the feeling that it comes out faster.

If I'm the only one who gets this then probably I'm screwed in the brain, lol.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, think of it like Ganondorf's Murderchoke -> Dtilt.
In order to buffer that, you have to have the control stick tilted downward just slightly so he doesn't begin to crouch. That allows him to immediately shift to the Dtilt stance and use the attack. I'm assuming that works for Falcon as well. It'll probably drop the framerate by two or three frames max.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Dtilt hits on frame 11 T_____T

That does not include crouch animation.

It terms of cool-down and block advantage, ftilt and dtilt are very close.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
@Darky-sama: I think I posted that exact same post (in other words) some pages ago, lol.

I still can't shake the feeling that Dtilt is safer to use, relatively to Ftilt... but a good falcon shoud be using uair uair uair uair, amirite? He shouldn't be grounded! hehehe

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Frame 11 is not fast guys. That's almost an average smash attack speed. Plus that's as fast as it can be, you won't always be instant inputting dtilt (to skip the crouching animation).
yeah, its pretty slow
I'm not positive on the range, it's good but it still has an only decent hitbox area. In other words, you can only hit someone on the ground or really close to Falcon's legs. Whereas utilt and ftilt are both good anti-air options.
However, it can be quite useful against small characters like Kirby. Utilt can be a bit slow at moments.
EDIT:

At Slader, I would put [collapses] for each move to make it look cleaner, since this should eventually get filled up with other moves, but that's up to you obviously.
I plan to have the 2 most recent moves visible and the older ones under collapse tags.
If you want to, you could put an overall move usefulness (Jab for 5 Falcons / Ftilt for 3 or 4 Falcons). And complete frame data and frame / block advantage if you would like, I can help you with that as well.
HYESZ! :falcon:
As for ftilt, I'm surprised to see you didn't include the 3-hit ftilt lock and the wall lock.
I wasn't aware of them. The F-tilt lock I'll definitely add but I need more info on the wall lock.
K :upsidedown:
It probably really is faster. Whenever I'm fighting, I always get the feeling that d-tilt is safer to use than f-tilt... Sounds kinda unscientific, but I always get the feeling that it comes out faster.

If I'm the only one who gets this then probably I'm screwed in the brain, lol.
F-tilt's range and speed is what makes it viable. Dtilt lacks in speed but covers more ground space.
Well, there's always downward F-tilt :bee:

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
yeah, its pretty slow
However, it can be quite useful against small characters like Kirby. Utilt can be a bit slow at moments.
I plan to have the 2 most recent moves visible and the older ones under collapse tags.
HYESZ! :falcon:
I wasn't aware of them. The F-tilt lock I'll definitely add but I need more info on the wall lock.
K :upsidedown:

F-tilt's range and speed is what makes it viable. Dtilt lacks in speed but covers more ground space.
Well, there's always downward F-tilt :bee:
Yeah but dtilt gives you better options afterwords and combos to itself at low % on heavys, dtilt is def underated, still a sucky slow move for the most part

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
i dont remember too much about this game but

i remember using d tilt in situations when you could use something else, which made it an option that was not as sought out. making it unexpected in most cases.
if you want to plant your opponent into a position not too far away, nor too high above you, and you want to give their adrenals a squeeze, then i guess you can go for it.
if it connects, well you're lucky because your opponent could have easily done something to avert this.
if it doesnt, well then you will probably get ***** and should be prepared to recover above all else

sorry if that isn't as in depth for you guys.idk what you all are going for.. im only back fro a while. as you all know, i come and go with the seasons

Top Bottom