• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon vs the rest - How to deal with certain moves -week 4: Week 5: Pit's arrows

ShiftingShadows28

Smash Journeyman
Pick up his gyro and use ur special moves only with it in hand O.o
upB out of shield maybe?
I think if you stall with it enough and try to do it on every gyro used the rob will get annoyed
Throw it back at him only after running around alot or when he is open
Maybe a full jump throw into falcon punch? :D

Douglas J.

Smash Rookie
Ya, jabbing could stop it, or just perfect shield to stop it...then you can pick it up and have some fun :)
(I personally like throwing it back at ROB)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I like to throw the Gyro upwards very high, so that the R.O.B. can't use it again for some time. Throwing it at him is a good option too when he is open, but if you miss (and you will, most of the time) he can use it again. Just stall with the Gyro and don't forget your own game.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Pit's arrows are unique and can be looped to try and combo into attacks, but you just have to do the same things to avoid them as you do to avoid lasers or almost any other projectile. Jabbing works on them too (but they can get looped into your back if it becomes predictable), or just jump (or duck depending on the height), airdodge, or shield. Pit can hold down the B button to wait out spotdodges, but after a few seconds, he has to shoot the arrow. While they are possibly the best projectile in the game, his arrows have a lot more startup lag than most projectiles, so shielding them is safer than shielding Mario's fireballs or Falco's lasers, and they aren't much of a threat up close, unless they're being looped at you as another attack is coming, so there would be no lag involved. Obviously though, if someone's looping arrows at you and you're close to them, you can just attack them. Pit's arrows are great for adding on damage to faraway opponents, forcing an approach, and more experienced players can loop one or more at you during other moves, but they aren't useful at all at close range, which is where Falcon should be anyway.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
poo... I was going to suggest Luigi's tornado next.

Anyway. Yeah, Pit's arrows are a pain. I can't catch 'em dammit! That's a problem. Honestly though, you don't really want to be in a position where Pit can be safely shooting you. Up close is where Falcon likes it. Pit'll kill you on recoveries though. I'd say we can afford to mix it up with Falcon Dive and (yes, I'm serious) Raptor Boost. I think the Dive will get predictable after awhile, and that really is the only time Pit should be nailing you with arrows.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
If you get hit by an arrow during Falcon Dive (which is almost impossible if you're recovering low), you can still make it back if you could have before. The only way an arrow can gimp Falcon is by hitting him as he starts his second jump. And if your opponent is far away from you, I don't see why grabbing the edge with Raptor Boost is ever a bad idea.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I don't really see where all the hate for Raptor Boost is coming. I just know that every time someone brings up the move, people come out talking about how horrible it is. I think it's a pretty safe recovery move, honestly.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
No way in hell is Rob going to just shoot a gyro at you. He has another projectile to back him up and some nice defensive moves to make sure that the gyro isn't a waste.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
No way in hell is Rob going to just shoot a gyro at you. He has another projectile to back him up and some nice defensive moves to make sure that the gyro isn't a waste.
Lol, why are we still talking about gyros and what was that post responding to? And I don't think his gyro is significantly better than his lasers, it's just one more thing to camp with. You have to approach ROB, and the gyro makes that tougher and can add on damage. I think we've discussed it enough, it's not really a complex thing.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I don't really see where all the hate for Raptor Boost is coming. I just know that every time someone brings up the move, people come out talking about how horrible it is. I think it's a pretty safe recovery move, honestly.
It's alright, I guess. As long as you don't try to use it to sweetspot the edge while they're hanging onto it then yeah you probably won't totally regret using it.

But yeah new topic.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Lol, why are we still talking about gyros and what was that post responding to? And I don't think his gyro is significantly better than his lasers, it's just one more thing to camp with. You have to approach ROB, and the gyro makes that tougher and can add on damage. I think we've discussed it enough, it's not really a complex thing.
I wasn't responding to his response. If was then I would quote. I was just sharing a small piece of common sense..

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I wasn't responding to his response. If was then I would quote. I was just sharing a small piece of common sense..
Oh ok. I thought it was so much common sense that you wouldn't have posted it were it not responding to someone who had said something to the contrary. No offense <3

Do you know if Knee is still looking at this thread? It would be nice to have a new move to talk about. I'll VM him I guess.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I updated the OP with the info provided by you guys about R.O.B's gyro.:)

The move to discuss now, is Pit's arrows (Pit's neutral b).

Please share your knowledge about how to deal with Pit's arrows (Pit's neutral b), when playing as captain falcon.

Mit

Smash Ace
I really don't know of a good way to deal with them. I find them to be the most annoying camping projectile against Falcon (even over laz0rz).

Pit's can stand at the edge of the stage and continually shoot them, you can roll/airdodge your way over there, but the problem arises when you emerge from your roll or land your airdodge, as you're either gonna get hit by an arrow, or you're within range for a quick Pit smash.

If you powershield them they can change up the rate at which they shoot the arrows and throw you off, causing you to waste your shield or just get hit by more arrows.

It's best to have some sort of platforms when going up against Pit typically, as you can more easily evade arrows by utilizing them, and can get close to Pit while not being right next to him, and do some drop down uairs or something. Without platforms, I don't really know. I think your best bet would be to take a high route when approaching him, then land right in from of him from your airdodge and spotdodge immediately. If he's a camping *****, chances are he tried to fsmash you, now you can punish.

There's still the chance he didn't do that though, and whiffed a grab or something and is gonna follow up with something else right afterward.

Yeah Pit's arrows suck.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Here's what talkingbeatles and I said before arrows were "official".

Pit's arrows are unique and can be looped to try and combo into attacks, but you just have to do the same things to avoid them as you do to avoid lasers or almost any other projectile. Jabbing works on them too (but they can get looped into your back if it becomes predictable), or just jump (or duck depending on the height), airdodge, or shield. Pit can hold down the B button to wait out spotdodges, but after a few seconds, he has to shoot the arrow. While they are possibly the best projectile in the game, his arrows have a lot more startup lag than most projectiles, so shielding them is safer than shielding Mario's fireballs or Falco's lasers, and they aren't much of a threat up close, unless they're being looped at you as another attack is coming, so there would be no lag involved. Obviously though, if someone's looping arrows at you and you're close to them, you can just attack them. Pit's arrows are great for adding on damage to faraway opponents, forcing an approach, and more experienced players can loop one or more at you during other moves, but they aren't useful at all at close range, which is where Falcon should be anyway.
poo... I was going to suggest Luigi's tornado next.

Anyway. Yeah, Pit's arrows are a pain. I can't catch 'em dammit! That's a problem. Honestly though, you don't really want to be in a position where Pit can be safely shooting you. Up close is where Falcon likes it. Pit'll kill you on recoveries though. I'd say we can afford to mix it up with Falcon Dive and (yes, I'm serious) Raptor Boost. I think the Dive will get predictable after awhile, and that really is the only time Pit should be nailing you with arrows.

Douglas J.

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's as simple as just jabbing them, that does work...but they are fast and spammable, plus Pit can change the direction and get above Falcon's jab.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Pit sucks NEXT

loljk

You can clash falcon kick on them if you want, personally I just powershield them as I run towards em, and then continue running like nothing happened.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
pits arrows are a pain offstage/angled/looped. if you just DI well when knocked away you most likely won't be arrow gimped, so I really don't see this move as a problem.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
We should move on to Luigi's tornado. I use to have a problem with it, but I think it is fixed, and I would like to share it all with you.

Mit

Smash Ace
You know I tried jabbing, and the jab has to be timed, and the arrow has to be head-on and not angled at all. It really isn't too effective for spam. Also, Falcon Kick won't come out fast enough when you get closer to Pit.

And no being gimped by them is usually not a problem since falcon dive is so good.

I suppose they aren't THAT big of an issue if you aren't being camped. A friend of mine isn't that good with Pit, and I'm better than him at the game (I can beat his Pit with other characters), but he destroys my Falcon everytime. The only thing I've found that almost led me to a victory, was staying in an area around 45 degrees to Pit's location, and having platforms to stay on. It becomes harder for Pit to consistently spam you when up on platforms. If you stay even further past 45 degrees above him, he won't really be able to reach you with arrows at all unless he loops them, or is really good at shooting them up and curving them.

From there, he'll either keep trying to spam you and fail, or approach. Both better situations.

If there's no platforms (FD), from now on I'm just gonna jump over past him and plank. Can't seem to do anything else. Or just jump around in front of him but land out of his reach and hope he doesn't keep shooting arrows, and try and bait him to do other stuff.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
You guys are lame. We talked a year about ROB's Gyro, and along comes a new subject, followed by 2-word posts and cries for a new subject. >:C

ya'll be hatin cuz I made da noo topix

Kishin

Smash Ace
Back flipping doesn't help since Pit can change the trajectory...

I'd say tank all the arrows, like a man. Other than that it's down to air dodging, run -> shield, or rolling. Personally, I think rolling toward pit is the best option. It's not punishable unless he's close to you. As long as you space well enough that when you get relatively close then you stop the rolls. That's just what I think anyways, never really applied this yet.

Top Bottom