• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon vs the rest - How to deal with certain moves -week 4: Week 5: Pit's arrows

Winnar

Smash Lord
I don't have nearly enough experience with Falcos, especially as Falcon, to really give advice. I would guess that careful perfect shield approaching wouldn't be a terrible idea (up to a certain point where they shouldn't be using lasers anyway)

Also approaching from above maybe, I dunno. This isn't a good matchup for Falcon at all :(

Also guys it's spelled lasers :(

Edit - Surely there are workarounds though, GET ON IT FALCONS

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I don't have nearly enough experience with Falcos, especially as Falcon, to really give advice. I would guess that careful perfect shield approaching wouldn't be a terrible idea (up to a certain point where they shouldn't be using lasers anyway)

Also approaching from above maybe, I dunno. This isn't a good matchup for Falcon at all :(

Also guys it's spelled lasers :(
for the 'lasers' thing, yes, I know, look at my previous post:)

And lazorz is a more like a joke thing >.<

And falco's can fluently shift from lasers to close combat. And falco's jab game beats falcon's jab game:(
What I am trying to say is, that falco also has a quite good close combat game, leaving you unsafe even when past the lasers, making you go through even more trouble than getting past just the lasers. (you have to get past the lasers+falco's follow up(s)).

But I apologize, as I am turning this into a matchup discussion;), I should focus more on the lasers:) like you guys do/should also do if you werent already (like me).:)

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't think the lasers are that bad at all. If you want, I think I have a few matches I could put up that could prove that, I'd have to double-check though. Not saying I'm great or anything, but I think the guy I played was competent as Falco, since he was 34-14 on the ladder.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
true.
But SHDL combo's into a dash grab too >.<

in short, falco is able to totally control the match with lasers.
and if you come close, either down b/side b-->repeat camping. >.<
That's how falco's deal with snakes.

Anyways, Lasers are a decent defensive tool. There is no true way to shut them down.

Matches against falco are slow too.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't think the lasers are that bad at all. If you want, I think I have a few matches I could put up that could prove that, I'd have to double-check though. Not saying I'm great or anything, but I think the guy I played was competent as Falco, since he was 34-14 on the ladder.
I would appreciate it if you could upload them. :D

Wait, wifi?

Kishin

Smash Ace
Platforms, full hop, BACKFLIP!!! (you can second jump or fast fall accordingly), Perfect shielding (I suck at this), SH air dodge (not my preferred method since, like you said, Falco can change almost instantaneously from lasers -> close combat)

So my preferred method is definitely back flipping everywhere, but back flipping is a huge part of my playstyle anyways.

Zeallyx

Edit:A friend of mine posted this message using my account.

Infract me for it or w/e. plz just remove these past 3 postsz.

ishinator

Smash Rookie
falcos lazorz

powershield
run
powershield
jump + airdodge + DI towards Falco
powershield
roll
powershield

wait did i mention powershield? In addition to powershielding you should use powershield.
Just learn the timing, and then run -> PS -> run -> PS -> react to Falcos reaction (don't just run and PS towards him very obviously).

and, to my mind, you should powershield.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah :( but imo lasers are no worse with lag, probably better.
That's not what I meant. You can't really use the same strategies offline that you might can get away with on wifi.

Falcon punches are easy to pull off on wifi, for crying out loud.

And yeah Falco is really good offline. Kismet hurts my soul :(

So I guess mostly just powershield with mix ups.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
That's not what I meant. You can't really use the same strategies offline that you might can get away with on wifi.
I'm not saying the same things apply, but I think a projectile with hitstun would be even tougher to deal with in a laggy environment.

So I guess mostly just powershield with mix ups.
But either way, this describes how to stop lasers perfectly.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I think all has been said about the lazerz, shall we move on to the next move? I don't have a suggestion, however..

Player-3

Smash Hero
ROBs GYRO

PLEASE I SERIOSULY NEED HELP

I GET 3 STOCKED EVERY TIME I PLAY A ROB NO MATTER HOW GOOD
aDASFHKLIAWHTOIRLKAH#NW%RAQ#H%()A"%$&#A(*RIEPWO

Player-3

Smash Hero
seriously my flacon cant play robs

i got 3 stocked, then went marth and almost won

and my marth is worse than my falcon

like... he was at 110% and i tipped fsmash him and he didnt die... he has good di
\]:

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
seriously my flacon cant play robs

i got 3 stocked, then went marth and almost won

and my marth is worse than my falcon

like... he was at 110% and i tipped fsmash him and he didnt die... he has good di
\]:
Yeah, a friend of mine has a pretty sick R.O.B. It's the most frustrating fight I can think of. And that Gyro is a like, a third of my troubles, so I'd be cool with talking about that.

Zeallyx

Alright, the falco's lazer discussion has ended:).
The next move up for discussion will be R.O.B's Gyro (down b).:)

Please share your knowledge about how to deal with this move when playing as captain falcon.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'll start with the Gyro's properties. There is considerable lag to pull it out, charged or not, unless it's 100% charged. It has good, but not usually KO-threatening knockback, although this increases with its charge, and often sets up well for edgeguarding. R.O.B. has a fairly long glide toss, and can use this both to approach, or to back up to spam lasers. If the top hits a shield, it goes away. Otherwise, it will keep spinning for awhile and cause minor damage and knockback until it stops and disappears.

Either player can pick it up, one good thing for Falcon to do would be throwing it upwards. The top is often used right when you are landing back onstage. Ways to avoid this are sweetspotting, using Raptor Boost (sparingly), or trying to air dodge or buffer a perfect shield when close to the ground, but those last two won't work if the R.O.B. times it right. If your opponent is sitting there charging it, it won't hinder an aerial approach, and you have to approach R.O.B. anyway due to his lasers.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm not afraid of R.O.B.'s gyro killing me. It's just terribly annoying. It's a great chase tactic. I often see laser>approach>gyro throw>catch gyro>gyro throw.

It's brutal. I think we should just practice anticipating the gyro throw in attempt to catch it. I played Doc in Melee, and my cape game largely centered around the anticipation and guess of when the projectile would be launched. Everybody can utilize this strategy with catching items, and in Brawl it's a lot easier. Especially since Falcon is pretty tall... Just catch a gyro, throw it out.... of the stage.

I don't want no gyros on my stage!

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
That's not really character-specific, but if TKONTK wants to, I guess we could do it. I don't know if he is still looking at this thread though. The easiest ways to avoid shield grabs are not dash attacking standing opponents, not trying to sweet knee grounded opponents that you're facing, and using your moves at maximum range.

Zeallyx

I'm not sure yet. I'll update the OP later, and 'till then, either discuss shieldgrabs or ROB's gyro please.:)

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Any shield it hits takes the gyro off the field, but ROB can charge another one. It's sometimes a good idea to spotdodge/jump over it and pick it up to help approach him.

Top Bottom