• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon is GOOD

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Falcon is BAD
Finally someone makes sense. I'm not blindly hating Falcon. He was my all time favorite in melee. I was pretty proficient with him, but now the difference is drastic (with the brawl CF being worse). Sure you can adjust your playstyle, but then what's the point? He was a combo king in melee, far from what his status is in brawl right now.

His appeal in melee was, although easily combo'd in the hands of an amateur, he could **** the heck out of any other character if played right. Great CF players knew their percents, and what %'s they could begin combos/chains. Now he's just average, lacking as much maneuverability in the air as before, lacking the same combo-ing ability due to the new brawl physics, and usually just scores KO's out of spammed uairs.

Oh and there's the crappy knee. Hm. Those who say that in the future there would be some amazing new revelation creating some awesome new combo obviously don't realize that brawl's characters/physics were developed just to avoid that.

I'm sure I'm not alone thinking this.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Look, it's all well and good to blame a character's badness on playing style or "not knowing how to play him well enough yet" but the fact is: if a character has bad stats overall, it doesn't matter how you play him. He still has awful stats overall, and characters with better stats will have an advantage.

Having said that, it's an outrage that Falcon could possibly suck in this game. Come on, people, surely there's something we're missing here! He has to have some kind of saving grace...

Jok3r

Smash Apprentice
There's is no hope for falcon..If there were going to make him this bad they should't even had bother to bring him back.Same goes for Ness....

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
The whole game boils down to mindgames dammit.
You really just have to be smarter then your opponent.
Be creative people.
This. Falcon isn't the combo king like he was in melee but if you take the time to play any other character you'll notice that they aren't either. There ARE no combo kings in brawl, it's way too easy to dodge. Certain characters ARE good at comboing (pit, wolf, etc) but they're nothing like melee.

The biggest hit to Falcon is that his low priority is most annoying, it requires you to play EXTREMELY precisely. Falcon is not an amatuer character, you can't just pick him up and play him well after a few matches. But if you learn how to space with him, and most importantly pay attention to your opponent and outplay him, you will win.

Falcon got a buttload of changes, but my dominance over my competitors (who, by the way, are also smash veterans and very good) with him has already resurfaced. He just takes alot more finesse to use.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
The biggest hit to Falcon is that his low priority is most annoying, it requires you to play EXTREMELY precisely. Falcon is not an amatuer character, you can't just pick him up and play him well after a few matches. But if you learn how to space with him, and most importantly pay attention to your opponent and outplay him, you will win.
Um, excuse me for saying this but that is the exact way CF was in melee. He was definitely not a pick up and go character. It took countless gimps by top teirs to finally find a way around them and utterly **** them, and most of his game was about mindgames and creativity. Believe me, I know the struggle of facing the broken chars >.>. Many of his matchups were uphill battles. He was overall disadvantaged in terms of recovery and range, but what made him formidable against those overwhelming chars was utilizing his amazing aerial game, combos, spacing, speed, and mobility.

Now...in the case of brawl, the same cannot be said. With the removal of the advanced techniques ("glitches" to all you whiners), CF suffered. With the new brawl physics, whatever aerial game you have is dumbed down to maybe one or two juggles and then your opponent is out of your hands. His grabs have barely any follow up, especially at high percents. He's worse off than he was in melee. Sure you can apply your 'finesse'(he no longer has that feeling that you can simply flow with him, so IMO clumsy is more like it) and have whatever mindgames you can pull out of his watered-down stats, but case in point the brawl CF takes a lot less skill to play as now. So his gameplay is simple and usually overshadowed by style of other brawlers, with no way to transcend that disadvantage.

Sorry, I guess I'm ranting because I really did love playing as Falcon in melee. I loved the flashyness and the epic moves and the 'oohs' and 'aahs' that resulted from his combos. I loved how he was so mobile and deadly that you could joke around that he was his own projectile and needed no other. Now he's just some average schmoe, nothing special. Sooo disappointing.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i havent played brawl yet, but just from seeing and hearing, captain falcon is no where near as good as he was. i doubt no matter what new advanced techniques come up, that he will be able to be any better. abit rusty hit the nail on the head. falcon is washed up. time to switch mains. that doesnt mean i wont try to play as him when i get the game tho. if it was possible he would be the first character i would pick wen i would start. but i know it is time to move on. i love captain falcon as much as anyone here. trust me. but falcon has finally met his match. japenese game designers. dam them.

Rampage

vx
Before you can truly improve yourself, you must realize your characters weakness'

Quoted but not exact quote.

Gimpy Gimpy Gimpy

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
This whole argument on why C.Falcon is salvageable reminds me of the old Yunsung fans in Soul Calibur 2 (I was one of them). Sure, he had the tools on paper. Theoretically anything is possible.... but the actual players determine what is possible; not some over-analytical dude on the forums breaking down the frame data piece by piece. Unsafe is unsafe, if the frame data suggests another character is more consistent and robust, then odds will favor that character.

The Japanese haven't changed a **** thing since WWII, still stubborn to their own idiosyncrasies until the end. Refusing to patch games or offer any kind of support past release, if only they would take notes. This game could seriously bomb in a month or so with 35 characters ready to break.

I'll still play... but C.Falcon was the most pleasurable character to play.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Guys....here is the thing...this game wasn't meant to be the perfect game, and a lot of you are complaining it isn't melee 2.0. Don't blame the creators just because a favorite character of yours is bad, suck it up and keep playing with him, and if you REALLY can't win, then he IS a bad character. I haven't played that much falcon, but from what i have, he is....on the lower quartile. I have experimented with him enough to say that he has few comboes, ok killing potential, and its still easy to screw up his recovery.

Pepole complaining about sakurai and the japanese not wanting to patch this game are ****ing idiots. You cannot expect the creators of a game, unless there is one totally broken character who you can never beat or one unbeatable strategy, to patch it . This game was meant for FUN with friends, not for "oh my god my character sucks **** sakurai i hate him go burn in a fire." People who are complaining really need to STOP complaining and deal with it, if you hate him, switch characters and stop complaining, and if you don't want to switch, stop ****ing complaining and play with him!

Also...why does everybody think yoshi is the worst character ;_;

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
Guys....here is the thing...this game wasn't meant to be the perfect game, and a lot of you are complaining it isn't melee 2.0. Don't blame the creators just because a favorite character of yours is bad, suck it up and keep playing with him, and if you REALLY can't win, then he IS a bad character. I haven't played that much falcon, but from what i have, he is....on the lower quartile. I have experimented with him enough to say that he has few comboes, ok killing potential, and its still easy to screw up his recovery.

Pepole complaining about sakurai and the japanese not wanting to patch this game are ****ing idiots. You cannot expect the creators of a game, unless there is one totally broken character who you can never beat or one unbeatable strategy, to patch it . This game was meant for FUN with friends, not for "oh my god my character sucks **** sakurai i hate him go burn in a fire." People who are complaining really need to STOP complaining and deal with it, if you hate him, switch characters and stop complaining, and if you don't want to switch, stop ****ing complaining and play with him!

It's like a bunch of robots up in here with all this 'melee 2.0' bull****. Think of something else to say.

Here's one: it's melee -2.0. If anything you forgot the minus sign in front of your 2.0. It's natural to compare a game to it's predecessor, but no one likes constant repetition. No one is asking for the same game, only another good iteration.

Patches are the future breh. Do your homework. Good games get patched, or unless by some miracle manage to survive the test of time. Mark my words Smash will sell vastly less on it's 4th iteration if this one is super imbalanced. Competitive gamers keep the game fresh, even to those casuals who only inspire or look up to them.

Fans complain when the character they like is completely nerfed. We'll live. Disappointment is to be expected when this occurs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't know why personally. I did hear his kill strength was toned down, but I dunno...

abit_rusty said:
Now...in the case of brawl, the same cannot be said. With the removal of the advanced techniques ("glitches" to all you whiners), CF suffered. With the new brawl physics, whatever aerial game you have is dumbed down to maybe one or two juggles and then your opponent is out of your hands. His grabs have barely any follow up, especially at high percents. He's worse off than he was in melee. Sure you can apply your 'finesse'(he no longer has that feeling that you can simply flow with him, so IMO clumsy is more like it) and have whatever mindgames you can pull out of his watered-down stats, but case in point the brawl CF takes a lot less skill to play as now. So his gameplay is simple and usually overshadowed by style of other brawlers, with no way to transcend that disadvantage.
This is exactly the way I see it. In case nobody noticed, throughout the entire Smash series, Captain Falcon out of all characters has always been given the least overall variety in his moveset. When a moveset with that little variety can't combo or lead into kill moves effectively, as is the case in Brawl, you get a very bland and mediocre character.

In fact, it is possible that Ganondorf this time around will surpass Captain Falcon. Ganondorf, unlike Falcon has been given unique changes to his special attacks that give him tactical options that are unique to himself. He gets a techchase setup, and a suicide kill among other things. What does Falcon have? His moveset really didn't get anything new, besides the fact his recovery is a little less gimpable.

Scar

#HarveyDent
This game was meant for FUN with friends, not for "oh my god my character sucks **** sakurai i hate him go burn in a fire." People who are complaining really need to STOP complaining and deal with it, if you hate him, switch characters and stop complaining, and if you don't want to switch, stop ****ing complaining and play with him!
This whole post was tragically annoying but I'll comment on this one part in particular. Melee, IIRC, was fun with friends. I had a hell of a lot of fun with that game before I knew about the competitive scene. But a competitive scene translates into a lifestyle, whereas Brawl is just a game.

I don't see anything wrong with making a tournament-level game, and am especially saddened because Melee is probably the deepest fighter to date. Video game series are supposed to build off of the strengths of the previous installment. Brawl went in a completely different direction. Why would anyone eliminate a good thing?

Edit: More on point, abit_rusty is completely correct in saying Melee Falcon had more uphill fights than otherwise. His matchups are bad to nearly impossible. But top level CFs (and only top level CFs) change the matchups to good and somewhat even with characters like Marth. At this level it's basically required that you 0-death them from each grab or hit.

In Brawl he was made worse. That's pretty clear. No combos, no knees, still awesome and manly, but that's it.

BC-Chris

Smash Journeyman
really cant combo in BRAWL
alright in the CF brawl combo vids people dont DI or jump out of his moves ( because they are newbs)
CF cant pull off that stuff to good players period
every character can jump out after getting hit by raptor boost in brawl and if you dont jump out your a newb lol or you can jump out of any of his throw and not get hit
if you understand DI you'll never get hit by the knee after a uair

dont jock on me but this true

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
really cant combo in BRAWL
alright in the CF brawl combo vids people dont DI or jump out of his moves ( because they are newbs)
CF cant pull off that stuff to good players period
every character can jump out after getting hit by raptor boost in brawl and if you dont jump out your a newb lol or you can jump out of any of his throw and not get hit
if you understand DI you'll never get hit by the knee after a uair

dont jock on me but this true
Although if you think about it, it also means that with one raptor boost, you also force the opponent to use their second jump...

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol This is what we do in every fighting game, we train our opponents to do things we want. They unfortunately have many options, they can jump out or airdodge or try to beat/trade hits.

Hax

Smash Champion
i agree with scar lol.. falcon is like impossible to be good with in this game with no combos, no approach, a better recovery (but still bad).. IMO the biggest nerf any character got in brawl. :( they ****ed up

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
This presents some of the worst matchups I've ever seen. Turtles with high priority like Lucario simply stomp the yard on poor Falcon. He tries to find an opening, but gets punished horribly on block and whacked if they can time any move they have on you when you approach. If only his Side B still had dodge frames..... Marth is also a horrendous matchup.

He'll be middle tier no doubt, similar to Roy in Melee.
I have won every "best of" series I've played online with other people. This ranges from people using Lucario, Marth, Toon Link, Snake (although he was pretty tough to handle at first because I knew nothing about his style), Metaknight, Ike, Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle was a hassle granted), and Sheik. There are been a couple of instances where the person was not that great of a player in which I won every match, but for the most part my matches online have been suprisingly competitive. However, I was able to adapt Falcon into whatever I needed him to be to combat my opponents' strategies and pull off a victory. The best thing I've noticed about Falcon is that he CAN kill at low percents, and he DOESN'T die at low percents. Also his edgeguarding is great because his uAir has good reach and pretty good knockback. His ground SideB is a little nerfed unfortunately (like how he doesn't go under Samus' missles anymore), but it still gets the job done. I'd MUCH rather have the Brawl version of his SideB than the Melee one though! The added aerial tweaks make it a GREAT move that's very versatile.

As for tiers, so far I'd say that they are not going to be very widespread at all. The best character and the worst character (which I believe is DK) are not leagues apart. Everyone is for the most part lumped together. I know it's early but right now that's how things are.

I'm not claiming to be the end-all know-it-all for Falcon, but I do know that he does not suck. And as long as I keep winning matches with him against every other character I'll keep that belief. Personally I think that everyone for the most part must suck with him in Brawl, because a lot of people I've played have told me that I'm the best Falcon they've seen by far and that everyone else is terrible with him. Now seriously I know I'm not the best with Falcon or even close to the best by any stretch, but obviously there are a LOT of Falcon users out there that are worse than me. Ever think that maybe all of those people are the reason why people think he's terrible? He is not the combo king he used to be, but he can still win matches if people know what they're doing with him.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
I have won every "best of" series I've played online with other people. This ranges from people using Lucario, Marth, Toon Link, Snake (although he was pretty tough to handle at first because I knew nothing about his style), Metaknight, Ike, Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle was a hassle granted), and Sheik. There are been a couple of instances where the person was not that great of a player in which I won every match, but for the most part my matches online have been suprisingly competitive. However, I was able to adapt Falcon into whatever I needed him to be to combat my opponents' strategies and pull off a victory. The best thing I've noticed about Falcon is that he CAN kill at low percents, and he DOESN'T die at low percents. Also his edgeguarding is great because his uAir has good reach and pretty good knockback. His ground SideB is a little nerfed unfortunately (like how he doesn't go under Samus' missles anymore), but it still gets the job done. I'd MUCH rather have the Brawl version of his SideB than the Melee one though! The added aerial tweaks make it a GREAT move that's very versatile.

As for tiers, so far I'd say that they are not going to be very widespread at all. The best character and the worst character (which I believe is DK) are not leagues apart. Everyone is for the most part lumped together. I know it's early but right now that's how things are.

I'm not claiming to be the end-all know-it-all for Falcon, but I do know that he does not suck. And as long as I keep winning matches with him against every other character I'll keep that belief. Personally I think that everyone for the most part must suck with him in Brawl, because a lot of people I've played have told me that I'm the best Falcon they've seen by far and that everyone else is terrible with him. Now seriously I know I'm not the best with Falcon or even close to the best by any stretch, but obviously there are a LOT of Falcon users out there that are worse than me. Ever think that maybe all of those people are the reason why people think he's terrible? He is not the combo king he used to be, but he can still win matches if people know what they're doing with him.
You, good sir, are awesome, and I agree with you.

As soon as I get my internets working on my Wii, we must play and have a falcon-off. D=

By the way, played any good Pits? I hate fighting him. It's usually a toss-up as to who lands more moves, got any tips for him? I actually find him harder than meta or squirtle, but then again I've prolly not played too many good metas or squirtles.

Kawaii

Smash Rookie
After melee, his speed in the new game and hitbox on the knee make it really awkward for me to play him personally. I think someone just starting smash, starting with brawl, could do alright with him, but not people who really mained him in melee. (not saying this theory works on everyone, I'm sure there is some godly person out there who may be the best maining Falcon).

Besides that, he just gets chain grabbed by too many people. Dedede, Falco, and Peach for a while (I'm sure there is more)? The person I played when I was Peach, was way better, but for a lot of throws I could just down throw and turn around recatch (be it normal or a dashing shield grab). He knows what DI-ing is, I am pretty sure he was doing it. If not he just forgot, but even if he wasn't that is just another thing you'd have to keep your mind on; too distracting to play him.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master

Once again: whether a character is good or bad does not rely on how many matches you win with him, it relies on statistics and data.

Rather than just ignoring everyone else in this thread, why don't you post videos of your achievements so we can see what you're doing right with your playing style? I'm sure that'd help a lot.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Falcon is very good, he's my co-main >.>

Maybe instead of complaining about his "nerfs", we could start looking outside the box and learning how to take advantage of his good points.

I guess it helps that I didn't main him in Melee. It's easier for me to adjust to the new Falcon since I don't insist on playing him like Melee Falcon.

Speaking of Dedede's chaingrab, how the heck do you escape that? Especially against a wall...is it possible?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Falcon is very good, he's my co-main >.>

Maybe instead of complaining about his "nerfs", we could start looking outside the box and learning how to take advantage of his good points.

Speaking of Dedede's chaingrab, how the heck do you escape that? Especially against a wall...is it possible?
Here lies the problem: what good points?

What does Falcon have in this game that separates him from other characters and makes people fear him?

When you go up against Toon Link, you think "ohcrap, here come projectiles and horrible combos."

When you go up against Olimar you think "ohcrap, here come the Pikmin and the massive long ranged grabs"

When you go up against Ike you think "ohcrap, three hits and I'm dead."

But when you go up against Falcon it's more like "...Oh it's Falcon..."

He's just not scary or impressive any more like he was in Melee.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I've been a bit disapointed with falcon.

In melee I was able to go toe to toe with just about any character played by anyone amongst my playing group (except for luigi, how I hate him so!).

One the best players amongst my group mains the fire emblem characters.
In melee I had ways to approach, juggle and punish his marth and roy.

In brawl I just get my *** kicked. I can't approach him with out eating a grab or a sword. I just get no where against him.
If I switch to one of my alt characters like ness or link or even ganondorf I fair much beter.

I don't know if I'm just playing too much like it were still melee, but falcon just seems like he has become a mediocre character.

It is still awesome pulling off a knee and hearing an exclaimation of disbelief. I mean come on, he is still facon.
... then I'm not sure if mediocre was best the word to use earlier.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice

Wifi.... lol. Hardly competitive with all that lag. To assume you're the best Falcon is absolutely insane and egotistical. A lot of competitive players have said that they refuse to play on wifi. Show me videos of your Falcon. Chances are, the players you have played against are not very good or somehow you are extremely technical and have discovered hidden techniques not realized by the community. And you somehow manage to input them with 50ms or more.

I did a little math in my head regarding Wifi. Since Brawl cannot use any prediction methods to optimize latency issues like most games, your latency literally determines your FPS. I've pinged my friends who live a little more than an hour away at 30-40ms. Friends that live less than a mile away get roughly 20-30ms. The following figures are assuming that GameSpy is allowing a completely lag-free service. Even in the ideal circumstances, there's the usual fluctuation in ping, causing slow-downs and chokes.

20ms = 50 fps (ideal - on a good day you might be able to get ping like this from a few miles away)
25ms = 40 fps (cut off for playable IMO)
30ms = 33 fps (roughly half game speed? would be playable for semi-competitive players)
<30ms = forget about it.

I really doubt you know what you're talking about with Falcon. But, post your videos and prove me wrong.... I've been waiting for some kind of salvation with this character.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Really Falcon isn't that horrible now... its just they removed his greatest asset, his maneuverability. With out Dash-Dancing, Moonwalk, and wave-dashing/landing, Falcon has become very stiff. I honestly feel like I'm playing Bowser with Falcon's move list sometimes.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Here lies the problem: what good points?

What does Falcon have in this game that separates him from other characters and makes people fear him?

When you go up against Toon Link, you think "ohcrap, here come projectiles and horrible combos."

When you go up against Olimar you think "ohcrap, here come the Pikmin and the massive long ranged grabs"

When you go up against Ike you think "ohcrap, three hits and I'm dead."

But when you go up against Falcon it's more like "...Oh it's Falcon..."

He's just not scary or impressive any more like he was in Melee.
Toon Link is not a bad matchup. He's easy to edgeguard and very light so he's succeptable to being knocked off at low percents. Grab has lots of lag as always to a dodge of it can result in a Falcon Punch if you spot dodge it. Otherwise you can fSmash. Projectiles are easily dodged and bombs can even be caught.

Olimar does suck to play against. I went up against a good one from Smash Brawl Rankings (username Arctic) and I got *****. Won one match out of 5. No idea what to do against him.

Ike is nowhere near a hard matchup though. He is so slow that you can just bait him into using a Smash and then roll behind him and do whatever you'd like to because he is so slow and has so much lag. Also his recovery is terrible so he is very easily edgeguarded.

The things that make people fear Falcon is that he doesn't die at low percents and he kills at low percents. He is also difficult to edgeguard because of his options with Falcon Dive and Raptor Boost. If they jump out to spike you then Raptor Boost them into a spike of your own and if they come out and have long range just dodge and then Falcon Dive into grab and explosion.

His weaknesses are a little discouraging (like certain moves' priorities and start up lags), but he is far from terrible. Today I got beat twice by the aforementioned Olimar and also twice by a laggy Fox. So obviously there are some weaknesses to Falcon. He is definitely more of a bait and switch character now than a fearless pummeler. He does have weaknesses but they can be hidden with some smooth tactics. Winning in Brawl with him is a lot harder than in Melee, but he still can do it. He's not top tier but I feel very confident in saying that he is in the upper half at least.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Wifi.... lol. Hardly competitive with all that lag. To assume you're the best Falcon is absolutely insane and egotistical. A lot of competitive players have said that they refuse to play on wifi. Show me videos of your Falcon. Chances are, the players you have played against are not very good or somehow you are extremely technical and have discovered hidden techniques not realized by the community. And you somehow manage to input them with 50ms or more.

I did a little math in my head regarding Wifi. Since Brawl cannot use any prediction methods to optimize latency issues like most games, your latency literally determines your FPS. I've pinged my friends who live a little more than an hour away at 30-40ms. Friends that live less than a mile away get roughly 20-30ms. The following figures are assuming that GameSpy is allowing a completely lag-free service. Even in the ideal circumstances, there's the usual fluctuation in ping, causing slow-downs and chokes.

20ms = 50 fps (ideal - on a good day you might be able to get ping like this from a few miles away)
25ms = 40 fps (cut off for playable IMO)
30ms = 33 fps (roughly half game speed? would be playable for semi-competitive players)
<30ms = forget about it.

I really doubt you know what you're talking about with Falcon. But, post your videos and prove me wrong.... I've been waiting for some kind of salvation with this character.
I never said I was the best Falcon so don't misquote me. I said that people tell me I am the best Falcon they've seen so far in this early stage of the game. As for lag I've experienced pretty seamless play except when playing people in Canada or elsewhere out of the US. Generally I play people in the nearby states or closer, and I never have any problems with lag. There is some granted because it would be impossible to have a truly lagless Wi-Fi match but the extent that it effects the match is usually nil.

If you want to see my Falcon, play me. My code is right next to this post. I'm not Ken or anything but I'm pretty good. There are many people out there that are better than me so don't get under the impression that I think I'm the best thing ever. I am smart enough to recognize Falcon's potential though, and I plan on working towards reaching that potential in the coming months and years. All it takes is practice and proper execution.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Once again: whether a character is good or bad does not rely on how many matches you win with him, it relies on statistics and data.

Rather than just ignoring everyone else in this thread, why don't you post videos of your achievements so we can see what you're doing right with your playing style? I'm sure that'd help a lot.
Let's play then. My code is right over there <---.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Falcon is seriously horrible. They completely changed his momentum with the aerial knee and everything. Raptor boost isn't as good. And why add a 180 falcon punch when you really can't even use it? You have to hit left or right right after you hit B.

Everyone can agree he's better in melee. Am I right?

Top Bottom