• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon is GOOD

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The first thing I did in Brawl was unlock him, and to be honest I don't really see much difference in him from Melee. Sure there are a few things that are different but he is by and large unchanged. The sliding UpSmash messes me up but I'm getting used to it. Also the SideB recovery is VERY NICE! Overall his recovery is definitely MUCH better. Right now I suck with him pretty bad but that's just because Brawl is so funky. I know some of your haters are probably thinking "well maybe it's just because Falcon is bad" but it's not because I ran into the same exact problems when I ran through Classic on Normal with Fox. The same finicky things bother both of them, so obviously it's just due to my lack of Brawl experience, not Falcon's lack of talent.

So yeah just in case anyone is left without Brawl and wondering how Falcon is, he is good.

Also, everyone here needs to add me to their Brawl Friends List. I'd love to see everyone's Falcons in action and we can learn from each others tactics and stuff. Let's get this online stuff going!

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
I think when you play a bit more you will realize that all his combos are pretty much gone and that raptor boost is **** now:(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You only mentioned his improvements (and yes, those are literally his only real improvements). His nerfs are horrible. Combos by far are less reliable in Brawl. This is very very bad news for Falcon, who was considered good BECAUSE of his very solid combos which are gone due to the change in physics. His ground game I hear is also weaker, set aside Smashes, but this is bad for attacks like his Jab and tilts, not to mention he doesn't get broken combo setups from throws anymore.

Granted, he needs to be played differently. However this will never compare to the combos he had which are pretty much now gone. And his special attacks still suck and he gets no variety from them at all. Which is bad, considering how much variety other characters get from their moveset like projectiles and whatnot.

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
maybe it's just because i suck, but captain falcon can't chain throws into anything anymore. all the person has to do is air dodge as soon as they get thrown and they're safe. i'm still trying to learn him, but it's a frustrating process.

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
LOL people seem to always find something wrong lol but i'm glad that you found some one you like and i dont think Falcon looks all that bad this time around i may try him out when i unlock him lol

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
You can definitely still combo in brawl, especially with his raptor boost. The game has slowed down so much that it's nowhere near as punishable if you whif, and at lower percentages it can be comboed into a Uair Fair on most characters.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Um, I don't know about all the melee CF mains but to me brawl CF is atrociously different. Everything that worked before can't be performed in the same way, if at all. :(

...worst of all , not only is the knee a pain to connect with..it lacks the 'boom' sound when it does. -.-

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
So Day 2 and I'm a LOT better with Falcon. I'm getting into my groove and the moves are coming smoother and smoother. Falcon definitely has a learning curve but I think I'm making progress on it.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
You can definitely still combo in brawl, especially with his raptor boost. The game has slowed down so much that it's nowhere near as punishable if you whif, and at lower percentages it can be comboed into a Uair Fair on most characters.
Oh really? I'll have to try this out later today...

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Oh really? I'll have to try this out later today...
Definitely do. Keep the percentages low, otherwise on most characters they are flung so high than you can't do anything without eating a Dair. I've been trying to jump past the enemy and Bair them, then raptor boost them after I land. Similar to what most good Falcon's did with the Dair, except it's not as applicable in Brawl as it was in Melee. :(

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
@ The real Metal Man / Mann :

I actually agree with Mann on this one. I found his moves a LOT easier to hit with in melee. Maybe it's just me being used to having to move quickly, but it took me a decent bit of time to adjust to him in brawl.

C. Falc just isn't the same without his speed x_x

But **** is that knee sexy this time. Not as forceful, but it lets you bask in the glory of landing it.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Falcon is awful now... His entire game was combos... gone

speed... gone.

grabs... gone.

knee... game is to slow to land knees before people can react.

ALL his B moves - nerfed.

and it seems like his priority sucks now too.

Why oh why?? He was so badass... flying around spiking people left and right... *sigh*

Unsmarty

Smash Rookie
I've got to be honest..... I don't understand all you people whoa re hating on CF....

As far as melee goes he was one of my mains and comparing Melee CF to Brawl CF I'm honestly not feeling much of a difference....

Generally the same set of moves....
Similar speed.....
And just as kickass as before.....

What's not to like?

Mizar

Smash Ace
I have to admit, he got nerfed, quite a bit. But they didn't make falcon a wussy all of a sudden and I am sure people will continue to figure out Brawl Falcon more and more. The game is still young, give it some time to show you everything it has.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Here are my thoughts on Falcon after 3 days of Brawl (plus a little bit today):

I continue to get better and better with Falcon as I keep playing. Spiking is getting much more natural and edgeguarding as a whole is coming more smoothly. His ground game is still a little lacking, but one thing I have been using a lot lately is his A combo. Not having the gentleman knock opponents so far away leads into his rapid fists of fury very nicely (which Melee lacks). His tilts are also effective but the fTilt lacks a little in reach. Recovery is GREAT. Having SideB as an option in the air for both attacking and recovery is a MAJOR buff. I've been working it into my game a lot lately and it's really making me a much better player. Also The Knee is not THAT hard to get. I've yet to get my fAir and bAir shorthops down consistently, but when approaching people in the air both of those moves are really great. I'd say that I get a sweetspot Knee about 50% of the time now overall. When I first got Brawl I only got it like 5% of the time, so I'm making good progress. His decreased air speed takes time to get used to but once you do you get a lot better.

Overall I think he still has a lot of untapped potential from where I am with him. I still find myself grinding up against the new Brawl physics sometimes but overall my game is getting much smoother as I play more with Falcon.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Here are my thoughts on Falcon after 3 days of Brawl (plus a little bit today):

I continue to get better and better with Falcon as I keep playing. Spiking is getting much more natural and edgeguarding as a whole is coming more smoothly. His ground game is still a little lacking, but one thing I have been using a lot lately is his A combo. Not having the gentleman knock opponents so far away leads into his rapid fists of fury very nicely (which Melee lacks). His tilts are also effective but the fTilt lacks a little in reach. Recovery is GREAT. Having SideB as an option in the air for both attacking and recovery is a MAJOR buff. I've been working it into my game a lot lately and it's really making me a much better player. Also The Knee is not THAT hard to get. I've yet to get my fAir and bAir shorthops down consistently, but when approaching people in the air both of those moves are really great. I'd say that I get a sweetspot Knee about 50% of the time now overall. When I first got Brawl I only got it like 5% of the time, so I'm making good progress. His decreased air speed takes time to get used to but once you do you get a lot better.

Overall I think he still has a lot of untapped potential from where I am with him. I still find myself grinding up against the new Brawl physics sometimes but overall my game is getting much smoother as I play more with Falcon.
What this guy said, except I'm finding Falcon Kick instead of recovery side-b to become an integral part of my game. Probably because I play against Pit alot. D=

Brilliance

Smash Rookie
Ive been maining CF since jpn release, and I have a few pointers.

1. Get good with the whole foxtrotting thing. Spacing is key with him.

2. Using the RaR into his Bair is extremely useful approach, because you can roll away or jump if they try to shield grab.

3. CF's grabs account for about 80% of my ground game because of his ridiculous lunging grabs' range and quickness of it.

4. Also, If you flick the Cstick downwards as soon as you short hop, youll land with no lag, another good approach method.

My first post. Been a lurker for too long. :)

OATH

Smash Apprentice
falcon does not suck at all less knee spamming and more uairs and downsmashes

The real Metal Man

Smash Cadet
Really all this is now is turning into a hate fest of falcon.

its a different game and if he was youre main then don't dump him use him and addapt to his new way of playing.

if you want old falcon go back to melee.

this is like going onto bungie forums now which is filled with maoning.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so yesterday my friend had a Brawl tourney at his house and out of the entire night I lost once. We did four eight man tourneys, team matches, and rotation. I lost in the finals of the first tourney (with Smash Balls on though which I don't approve of) and then won every match after that. In team battles I won both matches I played in and in rotation I went through the entire rotation without losing. Opponents include Fox, Metaknight, Sheik, Pit, Sonic, Samus, Ike, Marth, Link, Donkey Kong, and Lucario. The only person who wasn't good was the DK user who had never played any Smash game before. The others have all been playing Smash with me for 7 years and are very good. The point of this rambling is to show that Falcon definitely has the stuff and he can beat any character with the right strategies.

For all the haters: it takes more than two matches to get used to the new Falcon! Anyone who has not played with him for at least a day has no room to pass judgment on him.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'll just say one thing.

Falcon used to be considered as bad as Young Link in Melee despite being obviously fast and powerful.

I wouldn't be surprised if you all had a facepalm moment in a few month, "oooh, how come I didn't notice that flawless 0-100% combo before!"
I'm preparing for that day.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The game of brawl has been slowed down so now am guessing you should now be able to TIME HIS QUIICK MOVES A BIT MORE EASILY

oops caps but am too lazy to retype it lol
Captain Falcon's focus was never about having quick attacks. Most of his attacks are quite slower than the respective attacks of other characters. If you don't believe me, just look at frame data.

Say KeyKid19, if you're this good with Falcon, I suggest you write a guide explaining how he somehow is able to do stuff.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
Falcon is BAD.

I'm sorry, I've been giving him the past week of patience. Everyone who is complaining about the knee - that's the least of his worries. The knee is fine. His aerials as a whole are his strongest suit. Here's his REAL problems (recap):

-He has 0 priority** Some characters got a HUGE boost

-Dash Dance gave him the edge on his ground game (NO MORE!).

-No dodge frames on Side B!

This presents some of the worst matchups I've ever seen. Turtles with high priority like Lucario simply stomp the yard on poor Falcon. He tries to find an opening, but gets punished horribly on block and whacked if they can time any move they have on you when you approach. If only his Side B still had dodge frames..... Marth is also a horrendous matchup.

He'll be middle tier no doubt, similar to Roy in Melee. His combos will give him the strength he needs to win against some characters, but top tiers will completely obliterate him. It's a shame really. And that rotten Mr. Sakurai won't patch this wreck.

I'll give him another week before I lose hope. Very frustrating to practice like a dog and get horribly beat down.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
Falcon is Good.

the problem lies on your way of playing falcon, you can no longer just go at it half hazardly you have to actually think about your approach, i've fought my share of foxes and lucarios and still beat them you need to rethink your whole game.

OATH

Smash Apprentice
i honestly don't get why you guys say hes bad, sure hes not all in his glory from melee but no one really is just play him different ive played good people who play marth and fox he can still compete.

if you think falcon is horrible hit me up on wifi and we will play.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Falcon is Good.

the problem lies on your way of playing falcon, you can no longer just go at it half hazardly you have to actually think about your approach, i've fought my share of foxes and lucarios and still beat them you need to rethink your whole game.
Affirmative. You have to adjust your playstyle to his new way of movement.
People shouldn't say he middle tier already, there is still alot to find out about Falcon.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
You can say 'adjust your playstyle' all you want but that still doesn't make him good. Granted, hes not complete trash like Yoshi, but... unless someone finds some new trick for him, hes currently a very mediocre character.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
You can say 'adjust your playstyle' all you want but that still doesn't make him good. Granted, hes not complete trash like Yoshi, but... unless someone finds some new trick for him, hes currently a very mediocre character.
if you want a character that does everything for you then no one will stop you from switching to it.

Top Bottom