• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Falco Social (Where We Prefer The Air And The Points Don't Matter!)

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Falco boards have been pretty quiet recently. I've recently switched from Fox to Falco. Falco just feels so much more natural as a character to me.
Let's see... uses Falco, a Pearl avatar, and you had a Mega Gallade avatar not too long ago... are you a long lost sibling of mine? :O

Fryelt

Smash Rookie
NNID
glaceonmaster
3DS FC
3411-0519-9114
Hello y'all ! I have been lurking these boards a bit, Lovin' the bird since release but only started using him for serious matches recently. Did my first offline tournament recently at a local, got eliminated in the winners semis then in the losers finals in a tournament with about 16 people registered, used Falco for all of the tournament 'cept for my last two matches in the losers finals when I had to counter pick Kirby 'cause of my opponent's good Capt. Falcon. Ended up losing when he counter'ed mah Kirby with his toon link lol. for a first, t'wasn't a bad run, got 3rd place !

EDIT : I first faced a Roy (2-0), then a Sonic (2-0), Lost to a Peach/Samus(0-2), re-faced and re-won against the same Roy (2-0 again), then went 2-1 against another Sonic. Last set for me I went 1-2 against a Capt. Falcon/Toon Link. Both the Peach/Samus and the Capt. Falcon/Toon Link ended up being the grand finalists, so yeah, t'was my run ~

Last edited:

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Hey all of falco main! I tried out falco this week and I really fell in love with it! I would like to learn a lot of it, so anyone have a guide link for me or anyone interess in skyping me for a little tutoring? I'd apreciate it! I do not find a guide post on smashboard so I post this message here! Plzz help me sensei

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Let's see... uses Falco, a Pearl avatar, and you had a Mega Gallade avatar not too long ago... are you a long lost sibling of mine? :O
Hello, brother.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
You guys think its worth practicing our 60%+ combos?
I'll say so if you can be consistent with and/or condition people into it and get something outta it. What are the requirements a jab lock, dair frame cancel or both?

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Check our combo string thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtulmpL2-c
Our combos require a lot of fast falling of our aerials.. We probably do have jab locks and stuff but our fast falling combos still gets 60%+ damage which is already godlike
Hmm I say go for it then especially if they arn't used to Falco and don't know how to DI some stuff.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
So, have any of you guys played Falco in tournament recently? I played Falco for the first time in tournament 2 days ago, and did pretty poorly. I did learn quite a bit about Falco though, so that's always good.

Kyris_Crass

Smash Rookie
Pretty sure dthrow --> nair is never a combo if the opponent DIs away.
If they anticipate a dash attack after dthrow and DI diagonally up, you get an almost guaranteed nair or fair. If they anticipate an aerial and DI down, you can land a guaranteed dash attack, and sometimes even an up tilt afterwards if they hold down for too long. It's all about conditioning them into thinking you'll follow up a certain way and punishing them for it.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
If they anticipate a dash attack after dthrow and DI diagonally up, you get an almost guaranteed nair or fair. If they anticipate an aerial and DI down, you can land a guaranteed dash attack, and sometimes even an up tilt afterwards if they hold down for too long. It's all about conditioning them into thinking you'll follow up a certain way and punishing them for it.
Exactly.

My point is it's never guaranteed. And dash attack is a less severe punish; the opponent is almost always better off DI-ing away. It's not like you can't react to the DI.

M@v

Subarashii!
Sup guys. Adding Falco to my lineup in smash 4. He was one of my brawl mains, and he has too much potential to ignore now, especially the past couple updates ;)

D

Deleted member 189823

You guys are viable and I am a fan of ALL OF YOU!

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
So, have any of you guys played Falco in tournament recently? I played Falco for the first time in tournament 2 days ago, and did pretty poorly. I did learn quite a bit about Falco though, so that's always good.
The last time I played as Falco in a tournament, I lost the first round. It's been a long time though, I'm pretty certain I was just bad at the game. >.>

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Even if I played in a tournament as Falco, I probably would end up getting my ass whooped anyways especially since I'm still developing my skills with him.

M@v

Subarashii!
I plan to have him ready to use in my next tournament, whenever that is. Kind of slow time for me atm because I unfortunately can't make smashcon.

Fryelt

Smash Rookie
NNID
glaceonmaster
3DS FC
3411-0519-9114
I'll attend another local tournament with the bird if that means anything xD

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Smash 5 better let us have frame 4, 15% Bairs with those metal boots. :p

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I just want NBA jam jumps and have his feet be on fire when kicks you with them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, you want Falco to be Ken? He'd literally have Ken combos, then. I mean, man's already got Charlie's Somersault Shell and King's Venom Strike, so why the hell not.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm... I wonder if they could change Falco's Down Smash just cause in Smash 5. Nothing's wrong with it, but for something to make Falco a little different than Fox. I wonder if people would be against it if Falco's Down Smash only hit in front of him, but had this much range? Funny enough, Iori's crouching hard kick has the same startup as Falco's and also has long recovery like Fox and Falco's Down Smash. But imagine this range! Oh, and I'm not sure about past KoF games, but Iori moves forward slightly with this kick. Imagine the possibilities of edgeguarding with this move.

Falco's dash attack is essentially a twice as slower version of Fox's, so... Why not make it look strong? If Falco's supposed to be the hand fighter while Fox is the kicker, then why not something like this? It'd be like PM Wolf's dash attack, but "reversed". Still could launch like his current dash attack, but it would justify the 8 frames of startup and considering Iori jumps forward, it would be great for Falco to leap into and dash attack.

Or this if people don't want Falco leaping forward too much.

Yes, at this rate, I'm just posting gifs from Iori's animation compilation, but it just works since Falco would just be slashing with his wings instead of clawing like Iori. Hell, the stuff here could be applied to Wolf and Wolf seems to be based on Iori with his idle, running, and Utilt looking similar to some of Iori's moves. Wolf himself is a versatile character like Iori contrasting Fox who is more offensive like Kyo is while Falco's supposed to be a bit like King or Leona except Smash 4 never refined his Blaster in a way where he could play at range like King and Leona. Leona doesn't have a lot of sprites from what I can find, but Falco basically fights like Leona because of his slashing wings which are a bit like Leona using stabbing and chopping motions to fight unlike most fighters who punch or palm strike.

Also, for animations sake, hopefully Smash 5 has Falco's Bair looking slightly different. It's Wolf's except Wolf retracts his leg since his only stays out for 4 frames from 6-9 while Falco's stays out for frame 4-11, 7 frames. At least something like this just to make it look different?

Or hell, even this so we could justify a front hitbox. Kyo's doesn't actually hit in the back despite him clearly kicking back a little; it's an air tackle.

Also, would anyone be against Falco not having his drill kick Dair for this? Cross-ups would be awesome for a character like Falco, plus it would be cool for Falco to have a Dair that functions differently i.e. kicking behind him, but still hitting below him like all Dairs. It could still spike... Maybe like this: frame 8-8 spike and frame 9-11 for the regular hit. Where are the hitboxes? Frame 8 is almost on his body; it's the part when he begins the kick, so it's like he's violently pushing you downwards. Frame 9-11 is just the regular kick like how most attacks work. Or it could just not spike and be a frame 8-10 move. Who needs spikes when you can force your opponent to guess if Falco's going to RAR Dair you or cross-up Dair you along with the usual empty hopping, Uair, Bair, etc.? It could still hit in front of him and do the same thing since it's hitting at an "odd" angle.

Yes, this was all an elaborate excuse to post gifs. :p

Edit: I just realized that if Falco had that Dair, he would have the laziest-looking aerials in the game. What does he do? Spin, a lazy front flip, spin parallel to the ground, stick his leg behind him, and stick his leg behind and below him. Yeah! We'd be the laziest-looking fighters in the game! Then he's on the ground and he's doing all these weird stuff like pirouettes, an elaborate dash attack and Up Smash, spinning uppercuts, and pretty much a grounded dropkick.

Last edited:

The_Art_of_Smash

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_Art_of_Smash
New member here. I was a Falco main in Brawl. When I first used Falco in smash 4, I hated him, but I have been warming up to him lately. He's not that bad as I thought.

Last edited:

TheKingofKoopas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bowser5566
3DS FC
0001-3508-1615
New member here. I was a Falco main in Brawl. When I first used Falco in smash 4, I hated him, but I have been warming up to him lately. He's not that bad as I thought.
That's how a lot of people felt at first. Even the tiniest tweaks to his moveset made him play very differently from Brawl.
...But the same can be said from his buffs. He has a lot more combo potential now than when the game first released. thx daddy sakurai

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently, Falco's purple alt is based on Krystal in Star Fox: Command. I never played it and I don't remember the game existing most of the time other than it exists, so that never crossed my mind. Krystal in Command and I don't know where you can find renders of the alts, so I'm going to use this one.

I miss some of his other alts like the blue alt in Melee with the bright white jacket, the red alt in Brawl with the white scarf, the green alt with the forest green jacket in Brawl, and sort of the blue alt in Brawl with the grey jacket. Same with Fox's old blue alt in Melee and Brawl. Well, in return, Falco's shin guards and boots are more vibrant and in general, characters are more vibrant and it just looks lively compared to Brawl at times where most stuff looked grim. It worked for Wolf and Snake, but it didn't really work for Toon Link and Mario.

Oh, and of all the alts Ryu got, he didn't get an alt for Ken, but he got one based on SNK's Ryo Sakazaki. Sure, possibly, Ken could have made it in, but even if he didn't an alt would have been nice. Oh well. It would have been cool if Smash had a palette alt maker like in KoF XIII, Soul Calibur, and Tekken. Falco with a dark purple jacket would look sweet - like the dark purple suit Leon Kowalski wears. Future DLC perhaps? It'd just be making a new option to change colors and have it as a personalized 9th alt. At the same time... It would get messy with characters like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, Olimar and Alph, and Little Mac and his Wireframe alts. Smash doesn't have KoF XIII's pick a character and select an alt screen; it's pick a character and cycle through alts.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm thinking about getting some and putting my hands on some prey. I like Falco's moveset a lot, and he might be able to cover some of Mario and Rosalina's bad matchups. The few that they have, anyway.

Top Bottom