• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Setups For Better Kills And Punishes(Vs Meta Tips)

Notra

Smash Ace
Ive been watching alot of videos for our falcos who make it to the larger tourneys. SK92 Dehf Sethlon Kimset2. And ive picked up a few tricks and Mind games they use to land kills.(these r mainly vs Meta Knights) this is what ive got.

-From being above the enemy(short hop) air dogde diagonally backwards, (enemy runs foward)and and then side step. and upsmash or use another punish move.

-When enemys are coming back onto the edge, remember that upsmash is a little extended past its physical area(disjointed), so u can use it to kill chars right before they hit the ledge.

-When being hit away( low to mid damage on stage). Quick tech, to dacus. Best punish and will usually catch an opponent off guard.

-If u play someone who likes to shield (This wont work if the perfect shield)lasers when u SHDL, camp them and let there shield drop a little. then IAP cancel at the right length(which theyll prob shield) and they'll turn around and Dacus while they are shielding or dashing at u. It will either hit or break a shield.(be sure to/ phantasm a little away, farther than their reach is)

-(Prob already know this) Shuttle loop is to be Punished w/ bair or nair, at the apprpriate timing. (right after they loop)If they glide low enough punish w/ upsmash.

- The bread and butter move SHL to upsmash works best when the opponent begins jumping rather than is falling.

- If u see u could be hit FF w/ dair or bair. to protect urself w/ broken priority.

-SH over then fall back to Fsmash.

- IAP cancel to spaced fsmash behind them while they start approach.
Holes in meta play. and falco kill combos
Ones To Know

-Play aggresive w/ lasers grabs and jabs
---> nair, dair and jab r ur best options for grab(jab is best, then nair then dair)

-CG (to ~43) --> to gatling or dair tech chase works well

-REMEMBER jab is faster than anything metas got. if ur playing close dont stay midclose or he can out range u w/ ftilt. If u accidently get out of range (~meta ftilt range) do full aaa jab. (dont try to smash after aaa, a smart meta is rdy for the atk after.)

-and when it comes time to kill LOOK for meta lag. after any smash. after nado, under shuttle loop glide, after or during neurtal a, and when getting back on the edge. there are more obviously but u get the point. look for an opening .

- dair( non ff) spaced to upsmash seems to mindgame for the kill. and if DI'd right it wont be grabbed punished.

-also for killing if you grab, a meta jump release can cause a likely upsmash.

ALL OF THESE IVE SEEN IN VIDEOS. MAINLY VS M2K. OR I HAVE USED THEM VS A FEW LOCAL PLAYERS IN ANNARBOR. NOT JUST RANDOM IDEAS

Leeno

Smash Rookie
one mk i played liked to attack me while i was on the edge with the shuttle loop. i edgeguarded w/ bair to pressure him to use the loop, then just powershielded him going up, then dair spiked him while he glided/before he could attack. this worked multiple times. (not sure if this could work on smart mk's, he was a good player, but mk wasnt his main.)

Notra

Smash Ace
one mk i played liked to attack me while i was on the edge with the shuttle loop. i edgeguarded w/ bair to pressure him to use the loop, then just powershielded him going up, then dair spiked him while he glided/before he could attack. this worked multiple times. (not sure if this could work on smart mk's, he was a good player, but mk wasnt his main.)
yeha most mks know about this now. so it prob wont work. but thx

erick gm14

Smash Ace
against MK, grab release into boost smash works doesnt it?.. i face ppl like ksizzle, and other MKs and they fall for it.. i think they can get a nair in but its a suprise attack nonetheless which works at least once if they dont know about it..

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
against MK, grab release into boost smash works doesnt it?.. i face ppl like ksizzle, and other MKs and they fall for it.. i think they can get a nair in but its a suprise attack nonetheless which works at least once if they dont know about it..
i search my name alot erick.....

lmao

<3

erick gm14

Smash Ace
ohh... ok then, like lylat cruise or yoshis island... what about release grab and they land on the platform on battlefield? would they get landing laG? i got to try that.,..

vKo

Smash Cadet
Crap..
This ish works wonders on Toon Links in my area.

aznfreak13

Smash Cadet
Sigh I don't know any MK player in my area (within 5 mile). Well I don't even know any decent smash player that's near my level beside one person and he plays Marth. Hmm I only went to one smash fest and I did won 75-85% of my matches except from this DDD player last year. lol yeah I know Falco have advantage but I was like WTF seeing DDD moves in the total 3 matches. Most likely I can probably win a match against DDD now.

Notra

Smash Ace
Sigh I don't know any MK player in my area (within 5 mile). Well I don't even know any decent smash player that's near my level beside one person and he plays Marth. Hmm I only went to one smash fest and I did won 75-85% of my matches except from this DDD player last year. lol yeah I know Falco have advantage but I was like WTF seeing DDD moves in the total 3 matches. Most likely I can probably win a match against DDD now.
falco doesnt rly **** D3. unless they r noob. none of the lazer locks actually work. all we have is the amazing chaingrab and camp. He can grab us easier so its hard to chain grab. and he can impactshield approach us. this match up is extremely overrated in falcos favor......

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
falco doesnt rly **** D3. unless they r noob. none of the lazer locks actually work. all we have is the amazing chaingrab and camp. He can grab us easier so its hard to chain grab. and he can impactshield approach us. this match up is extremely overrated in falcos favor......
Lol no its not. It's really hard for d3 to get a hold of Falco because of his amazing vertical speed.

Notra

Smash Ace
Lol no its not. It's really hard for d3 to get a hold of Falco because of his amazing vertical speed.
vertical speed? wtf. if he spaces and reads. (which is easy on falco) this isnt an easy match. + D3 dies alot harder than falco. Gimps us easily. His grab game is still strong(tech chase and reading). i dont see this match up as easy. at best 60:40 for falco if he gets the grabs off every stock on FD. more likely 55:45.

and dont u mean horizontal speed?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
vertical speed? wtf. if he spaces and reads. (which is easy on falco) this isnt an easy match. + D3 dies alot harder than falco. Gimps us easily. His grab game is still strong(tech chase and reading). i dont see this match up as easy. at best 60:40 for falco if he gets the grabs off every stock on FD. more likely 55:45.

and dont u mean horizontal speed?

No, I meant vertical speed, Falco has the highest jumps and one of the fastest( i think ZSS' dj is the fastest.) D3's spacing tool is Bair and ftilt which if predicted can end up getting hit with a Dair or DACUS if timed right. Dair tech chases to phantasm which puts them in the air or hits off the ground into the air. D3 shouldn't be in the air, its bad for him. Dair has a lot of aerial lag and gets punished hard when predicted. Falco has his work cut out for him, but its still definitely in Falco's favor.

If D3 predicts falco's landing point, falco can long phantasm cancel away. It's a free get-out-of-disadvantage tool

Spacing and reading someone is solely depending on your mix-up. The less you mix-up, the more predictable you are. No offense.

Notra

Smash Ace
No, I meant vertical speed, Falco has the highest jumps and one of the fastest( i think ZSS' dj is the fastest.) D3's spacing tool is Bair and ftilt which if predicted can end up getting hit with a Dair or DACUS if timed right. Dair tech chases to phantasm which puts them in the air or hits off the ground into the air. D3 shouldn't be in the air, its bad for him. Dair has a lot of aerial lag and gets punished hard when predicted. Falco has his work cut out for him, but its still definitely in Falco's favor.

If D3 predicts falco's landing point, falco can long phantasm cancel away. It's a free get-out-of-disadvantage tool

Spacing and reading someone is solely depending on your mix-up. The less you mix-up, the more predictable you are. No offense.
honestly, the way u say D3 is played, is different then how local D3 play where i live. so i cant rly say ur correct or not. I can see how u r right for playing that style of D3. But the ppl i play, we all learned how to play brawl at the same time. so naturally, their fighting styles counter falco. Dont get me wrong, i still win most of the time vs their D3's, but its nvr easy.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
honestly, the way u say D3 is played, is different then how local D3 play where i live. so i cant rly say ur correct or not. I can see how u r right for playing that style of D3. But the ppl i play, we all learned how to play brawl at the same time. so naturally, their fighting styles counter falco. Dont get me wrong, i still win most of the time vs their D3's, but its nvr easy.
It's not just how d3s here play. I'm thinking about how D3 is suppose to play. A lot of their stuff is through tech chasing the opponent, punishing them coming back to the stage, or punishing them when they jump in. Since d3 can't tech chase falco with dthrow, it eliminates his options a lot. Falco doesn't need to jump into d3 as much as other characters because of the way d3 and falco is made. If falco baits and predicts an attack, its into the air with d3. With d3s horrible dair, its hard for him to get back to the ground without taking a lot of damage. If d3s in your area are very aggressive, then, chances are, you're not punishing them as much as you should. You're giving them too much respect for their space(the character, not the player)

The vertical speed make it hard for d3 to hit falco because Falco can just jump or double jump and not get hit by the bair, then phantasm away if d3 gets under him.

Maybe I'm wrong, how do d3s in your area play?

Notra

Smash Ace
It's not just how d3s here play. I'm thinking about how D3 is suppose to play. A lot of their stuff is through tech chasing the opponent, punishing them coming back to the stage, or punishing them when they jump in. Since d3 can't tech chase falco with dthrow, it eliminates his options a lot. Falco doesn't need to jump into d3 as much as other characters because of the way d3 and falco is made. If falco baits and predicts an attack, its into the air with d3. With d3s horrible dair, its hard for him to get back to the ground without taking a lot of damage. If d3s in your area are very aggressive, then, chances are, you're not punishing them as much as you should. You're giving them too much respect for their space(the character, not the player)

The vertical speed make it hard for d3 to hit falco because Falco can just jump or double jump and not get hit by the bair, then phantasm away if d3 gets under him.

Maybe I'm wrong, how do d3s in your area play?
well remember, this might just be in my local circle, but the D3 can play my falco cause they know me so well. but they usually stay mid distance away(far enough not to get punished by falcos run) and they waddle dee air camp so i have to full hop lazer camp. usually when i try to appraoch to punish they space well and grab or use their jumps to dair. this doesnt rly work too well as u can prob guess. but it keeps them w/ in 40% of my hp from how they do it. then the problem comes in killing mainly for falco. the options r so much easier for D3. gimp wise. Also if they arent air camping, they nvr have a prob appraoching me w/ walking impact shields.

rly my only mistake comes from getting bored while camping and getting hit by waddle dees, and occasionally using IAP instinctively at the wrong time. but it is just erie how easily they can come back off a mistake. I still see it as a little in our favor but... i wouldnt call it ****.

I do understand what u mean about vertical speed ****, ima try to apply in the right places. but my friends will usually try to bait a falco bair or nair when they air camp and dair prioritize.

@Xonar i know how to DI it. its just off stage where it messes me up. after a certain point we cant get back. My friend also uses this weird technique where hell fast fall off w/ D3 and suck up and itll make my phantasm go farther from the whip but too low. its rly odd. next time i have asmashfest ill capture card it and try to post it.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
well remember, this might just be in my local circle, but the D3 can play my falco cause they know me so well. but they usually stay mid distance away(far enough not to get punished by falcos run) and they waddle dee air camp so i have to full hop lazer camp. usually when i try to appraoch to punish they space well and grab or use their jumps to dair. this doesnt rly work too well as u can prob guess. but it keeps them w/ in 40% of my hp from how they do it. then the problem comes in killing mainly for falco. the options r so much easier for D3. gimp wise. Also if they arent air camping, they nvr have a prob appraoching me w/ walking impact shields.

rly my only mistake comes from getting bored while camping and getting hit by waddle dees, and occasionally using IAP instinctively at the wrong time. but it is just erie how easily they can come back off a mistake. I still see it as a little in our favor but... i wouldnt call it ****.

I do understand what u mean about vertical speed ****, ima try to apply in the right places. but my friends will usually try to bait a falco bair or nair when they air camp and dair prioritize.

@Xonar i know how to DI it. its just off stage where it messes me up. after a certain point we cant get back. My friend also uses this weird technique where hell fast fall off w/ D3 and suck up and itll make my phantasm go farther from the whip but too low. its rly odd. next time i have asmashfest ill capture card it and try to post it.
And don't think I'm ever trying to call you stupid or w/e. I just love arguing points because it brings out the best answers.

Try this. Try not lasering and just jump around in front of him in range of his attacks. Then when you think he's going to attack, position yourself right(probably above him), and pounce on him like the falcon you are.

Notra

Smash Ace
ill try that. D3 fair is slow. he cant compete w/ falco face to face in the air unless he swallows ( which he has to predict in advance, for it to land)

Top Bottom