• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Another thing is Falco to me is part of the fundamentals crew that includes Marth, Lucina, Kirby, and maybe Ganondorf. They don't do anything well like zone, space, or rushdown, but having good fundamentals reveals they're dangerous, especially Marth and his tippers and Ganondorf who will just outright boot you across from the stage. They thrive on punishes and knowing the game's mechanics and how their characters work. They can't do things like wall out people with projectiles like Link, combo for days like Luigi, Mario, and Sheik, or exploit something like Diddy's Uair and Bair, and Zelda with her lightning kicks and love jumps.

Anyway, for learning character, just play. Win or lose, you'll get something out of it, and I think losing might make you a better player since you can look back and see or understand why you lost. Did you become too predictable with a move, did you leave yourself open too much, were you too defensive/offensive with a match up, etc. Watching other Falcos is a good idea too. Head over to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/good-falco-videos.376351/.

There's also an approach and combo thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-approaches-and-combos-strings.372417/.

Also, check out Illuvial's guide on Falco: http://smashboards.com/guides/personally-i-prefer-the-air-a-wip-guide-to-ssb4-v1-0-4-falco.123/.

And you can always play other Falcos here for practice: http://smashboards.com/threads/anyone-want-to-exchange-nnids-or-friend-codes.386513/.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Not sure if anyone cares about this, but falco can use a reverse forward smash out of his dash.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not sure if anyone cares about this, but falco can use a reverse forward smash out of his dash.
Do you mean a pivot Side Smash? I think it's a thing people know about, but don't perform either because it's unfamiliar or they don't know when should they do it. Ike pivot Ftilt is considered a good option, but I don't see a lot of people use it like Sonic's pivot Ftilt or as I just heard about today on an older video: Mega Man's pivot Side Smash.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So guys, I settled on Falco being my serious secondary for the sake of experimenting with him. Thank @ Ffamran Ffamran for being awesome.

So lets talk about his spacing options, since Falco seems to be more of a boxer than brawler in this game.

His best spacing options seem to be Reflector and Ftilt, but his B-air also a spacing tool?

Can U-air also be used as an anti-air due to it's angle? Or is U-tilt beter for that?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So guys, I settled on Falco being my serious secondary for the sake of experimenting with him. Thank @ Ffamran Ffamran for being awesome.

So lets talk about his spacing options, since Falco seems to be more of a boxer than brawler in this game.

His best spacing options seem to be Reflector and Ftilt, but his B-air also a spacing tool?

Can U-air also be used as an anti-air due to it's angle? Or is U-tilt beter for that?
B-air is sorta matchup specific. Falco loves characters who are tall enough to easily be hit by rising B-air. SHFF B-air isn't terrible minus the fact that most players are going to be blocking that on reaction in neutral. Usually it's better to D-tilt if you know you're in range for it. D-tilt is fast, safe on block, does great damage, and also sets up juggles.

Worth keeping in mind you can fullhop Blaster/F-air and still have time to B-air.

Funny enough, Falco is one of few characters that explicitly benefits from losing Agility or jump height from equipment...simply because this lets you SH rising B-air shorter characters (and still autocancel for that matter).

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If Falco had Wolf's or Ike's air speed, then RAR (reverse aerial rush) Bairs would be fantastic. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Still, it's not a bad idea for an approach because of how fast it is; Falco has the fastest Bair tied with Sheik, Diddy, and I think Mega Man. In order of speed for spacing: Jab, Reflector, Ftilt, Dtilt, and Down Smash. As usual, a Jab is a good way to keep people off you and stop things from happening, but it has the shortest range which makes sense since Jab 1 begins on frame 2.

Reflector's end lag makes it more safe if you know they're not going to shield and they're bum rushing you, so if you see a Yoshi or a Captain Falcon running in, you can use Reflector to stop them and the trip chance is just icing on the cake. As a frame 5 move, it's good for spacing, reflecting, and free damage.

Ftilt is more of the safer option because it can be angled, comes out at frame 6, and has good range for a melee attack. One thing you can do is Ftilt to Reflector. I should be doing it more since if you really want to push someone back, then a safe Ftilt to ranged Reflector is a good double space.

Dtilt is more of a kill move and a launcher, but it is sort of deceptive in range since Falco's tail tip does hit for 9%, while the tail does 11%, and close to the body does 12% which is what you want for kills and a good launch. As a spacing tool, it's fast - frame 7 - and powerful and has little end lag like Ftilt and Jab in comparison to Reflector and Down Smash.

Down Smash can space powerfully, but it has end lag. It's more of a kill move and an out of shield move. I think I kill with Down Smash more than any other move or well, it's my most used Smash. At frame 7 and 15%, this move is a beast when it connects. Just be wary about the end lag. For a horizontal kill and a ground kill, this is my go-to-move followed by Dtilt, Up Smash, and Side Smash. I should be using Utilt more.

In terms of anti-air, you can use Utilt, Up Smash, and an angled Ftilt, but that means someone has to be coming diagonally down to you. Utilt's lingering hitboxes and the fact it doesn't whiff as easily means it's a safer option. It's also Falco's fastest tilt at frame 5. It juggles early on, can kill later, and is safe because it covers basically all around Falco.

Up Smash's weird knockback means the first hit can launch way too far and cause the second hit to completely whiff. It's both Falco's strongest and weakest Smash since if it fully connects, it does 16% while Side Smash and Down Smash do 15%, but if it doesn't then it only does 4%, the first hit. It's Falco's second fastest Smash at frame 8 and it is a good kill option if hits. The issue is range and coverage. It doesn't completely cover what the animation shows. I've had times where Falco's foot will just phase through people and that's it, so be careful about using it facing away from someone despite how the Up Smash facing away does some nifty things that people have said, but I don't know why.

Uair works as well since it has little end lag. I need to check this, but I don't really know how to read auto-cancel frames. At frame 10, it's slow compared to Falco's grounded anti-air options. Done right, Uair can be an anti-air tool, an approach tool, a juggling tool, and a kill tool. Check out @KayJay's Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C20PsKNvGbY.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
So I was fooling around with Falco's customs and I noticed that if fire bird lands at a certain time he can act immediately when he lands. Has that always been a thing? Seems like it could be pretty nifty if used with fast fire bird.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Is it me, or does Falco get shrekt by Sheik so badly?? I have a friend who has a monstrous Sheik and it feels like such a struggle, I'm going to assume it's the match up, strongly on Sheik's favor. Anyone else experience this struggle against her?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Can't say since I rarely fight Sheik, but I'll keep that in mind. So far, I have been requested Lucario, Rosalina, Palutena, ROB, and now, Sheik for MU discussion threads.

I think it's more to do with Falco being a fast caller and his air speed allowing characters like Sheik, Rosalina, Palutena, Mario, and Luigi to juggle him like it waswas some circus act. One thing I can say is that you could abuse the rage mechanic since Sheik can kill, but usually later if she can't land a Bair, Bouncing Fish, Uair near the ceiling, Vanish, or Burst Grenade. If a Sheik is letting you live to 150% and above make use of rage and punish when the time is right.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Can't say since I rarely fight Sheik, but I'll keep that in mind. So far, I have been requested Lucario, Rosalina, Palutena, ROB, and now, Sheik for MU discussion threads.

I think it's more to do with Falco being a fast caller and his air speed allowing characters like Sheik, Rosalina, Palutena, Mario, and Luigi to juggle him like it waswas some circus act. One thing I can say is that you could abuse the rage mechanic since Sheik can kill, but usually later if she can't land a Bair, Bouncing Fish, Uair near the ceiling, Vanish, or Burst Grenade. If a Sheik is letting you live to 150% and above make use of rage and punish when the time is right.
Hm, I will totally apply this next time, thanks a bunch for the advice.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
ivr noticed thats how shiek matches end up being. Me starting off with 60% dmg and end up living past 160% while i get the kill at 100%

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
ivr noticed thats how shiek matches end up being. Me starting off with 60% dmg and end up living past 160% while i get the kill at 100%
Yes, that is how it totally feels like at times. Fighting Sheik always always feels intense, and that pressure may be partially the reason why I get screwed over.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Is it me, or does Falco get shrekt by Sheik so badly?? I have a friend who has a monstrous Sheik and it feels like such a struggle, I'm going to assume it's the match up, strongly on Sheik's favor. Anyone else experience this struggle against her?
I have a hard time against her too shes really fast and hard to punish because she has little to no landing lag.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Before I forget, Shaya mentioned foxtrotting with Falco. Has anyone incorporated that into their game plan?
Falco loses to things because his disadvantaged state is pretty bad. And sometimes his jab doesn't work like it should (i.e. when you get PUNISHED FOR IT ON HIT vughhhh).
I would say using universal techs is fundamental-based play.
Fox trot away with Falco and tell me other characters have better options. Just saying ahead of time, you won't be convincing me otherwise. I'll give you Sheik.
When you turn pivot you can slide into any move forward. Jab and down tilt.
His turn pivot makes his pivot jump exceptionally 'fast' in horizontal movement. SH FF with Falco is absurd.

Falco's consistent combo game is the real reason to use him, if I'm going to talk about weaknesses, it's not rewards/follow ups, that's for certain.
Like, Falco's combo game is second only to ZSS in terms of characters I play. Falco has a much easier time getting his grab and his tilts are significantly safer compared to her (bar ftilt, but I'd still say Falco's is better).
Also he has one of the best up airs. In the "let's play horizontal uairs only the game" *qq from Diddy*

Also Falco's explosive laser is was my preferred custom (probably still is, but the slight buffs + match ups like Sheik where you'd like the game to be about her approaching you require it) because it gives him stupid edge guarding pressure and synergises with void reflector and in general is a great frame trap tool. All the weaknesses I just read from people were kinda funny.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I like to use Foxtrot + Short hops for a way of approach.

EDIT: DashTrotting was the word I was looking for. I do that to bait for random moves that may give me a chance to strike back.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I feel like starting a thread/study on Falco's movement options. So, foxtrots, perfect pivots, dash dancing?, Falco Phantasm chasing (burst movement), short hopping, short hop fast falls, etc. We already have a thread on his full hop.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I think that can be covered on the Approaches thread that we already had

Is there a thread that's dedicated to get-up attacks? Reason I'm asking is because when Phantasm chasing, you can get 3 options of D-Smash for Forward rolls, Dash attack for Back rolls and Shield for get-up attacks. Now the thing that tickles my pickle is that get-up attacks does absurd amounts of shield dmg and I've noticed some characters doing more than others. It'll be nice if I could know which characters to be more careful over.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
How about his walk? It's a fast walk, and it's only a bit slower than his dash.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
why not follow up the dair with a footstool?
Sounds posible but extremele dificult, just pulling off the dair cancel in the heat of battle is really hard and risky.

I pulled off the FC Dair into Footstool. Tight timing, but possible.

Also, I came up with a Pseudo chaingrab I've been meaning to show off. Honestly its more of a reset, useful for opponents who dont tech. You can use it to set up guaranteed FC Dairs (or any other followup like a charged smash) at low percents.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Until his jabs and up smash are fixed he is not gonna go too far IMO.
something people may haven't noticed is that if you want to land an U-smash at higher %, Pivoting the U-smash so that your facing AWAY from your opponent will get you to land that meaty 2nd hit.

Can't they jump out of the D-throw? Or do they need to tech to save their butts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Im talking about the throw. I remember at low %s characters can jump out after hitstun from the throw before they have to land on the floor

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Im talking about the throw. I remember at low %s characters can jump out after hitstun from the throw before they have to land on the floor
Fast Fallers probably can't, floaties should be able to, and you can either read the tech or jab reset them which she's doing.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
Can't they jump out of the D-throw? Or do they need to tech to save their butts.
The floatier characters typically can jump before they hit the ground. This is better for fast fallers (sheik, Link, fox, diddy), or larger characters (Gannon, Bowser and DK)

Characters who fall at Peach's speed or slower wont be caught in the "chaingrab" unless if they Di poorly (or towards the ground lmao)

And I haven't checked for percents, but most of the time I could get 3 cycles (granted the stage/character allowed for it)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Also, I came up with a Pseudo chaingrab I've been meaning to show off. Honestly its more of a reset, useful for opponents who dont tech. You can use it to set up guaranteed FC Dairs (or any other followup like a charged smash) at low percents.
Do you mind if this gets reposted in the Frame Cancel thread in the Competitive discussion? Things like Captain Falcon's Dair to Knee and Knee were found, but I don't remember anything about footstools.

andimidna

Smash Master

Wow that's amazing!
I ended up trying it out myself... didn't realize how hard it actually was to do lol
Definitely gonna try this all out again
So it happens by landing the dair on one specific frame in the animation, right? Is that why it happens, and the timing is so specific?

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Wow that's amazing!
I ended up trying it out myself... didn't realize how hard it actually was to do lol
So it happens by landing the dair on one specific frame in the animation, right? Is that why it happens, and the timing is so specific?
Basicly "Frame Cancel" You're landing in the first few active frames and thus the move cancels out fast enough for you to do a follow up. There's another video here you can look up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
Wow that's amazing!
For FC Dair, you must land the first frame of the dair on the opponent, and touch the ground, on that same frame; making it frame perfect. What I normally do to help with the timing is jump, c stick dair at "apex" of Falco's short hop (before he spins) and then tap down on the analog stick twice in rapid succession. Once you get a feel for the timing, it's actually pretty easy to hit on a standing opponent (which is why I included the reset setup)

It's when they're moving around that it becomes a struggle, since you'll have to hard read or bait a roll, lmao.

Last edited:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
As much as the frame cancel is great I think it's to risky to be a major game-changer.

Edit: Thought I should add that catching recoveries with D-tilt has work surprisingly well for me. If it connects it'll set them up in a position where the ledge wouldn't be all to smart as you could easily interrupt so they have to fall backwards and go for the ledge again or go onstage.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Guys, fullhop autocancel Dair is quite useful. Timed correctly only the very shortest characters walk under it and you can combo from it at low percents.

Once you know the right height at which you can autocancel D-air, use this to frametrap airdodges and to cover landings.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm gonna be at Great Revival this weekend which is a Midwest regional. I'll try to rep da bird and poop on many unfortunate souls as possible.

Top Bottom