• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco: Is He Honestly Cheap?

KonradGabreil

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this is a thread about it.
Whenever I am playing my friends, all they seem to do is ***** at me when I am playing Falco. "His blaster stops you" "Newb character" "No skill, just pick up and play"
It gets irritating.
And I am sure some of you have been told that, or if not, have heard it.
I really just have three main questions, and I hope someone can answer them.

1) Is he really that cheap? What makes him cheaper then Fox? Or Wolf?

2) Is Falco really just some pick up and play character, like Ike (IMO)?

3) What do you say to those types of haters?

Someone? Anyone?

Thanks.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I mained Wolf for a while. My friend swore Wolf was overpowered.
I mained ROB for a while. One of my other friends complained nonstop about ROB being overpowered.
I now main metaknight and both of them say he's overpowered.

In my opinion, there are few if any truly overpowered characters. It's good player skill that makes the character look very powerful. I've played against good Brawl Falcos and while they can be effective, the character is by no means overpowered except maybe at the very beginner level (but I would say Wolf moreso than Falco is the ranged character a beginner would be best with .. Ike being the close-range character easiest to play at a beginner level)

KonradGabreil

Smash Cadet
Ah.
Do you agree that Falco is a character anyone can play with 2 times and be good with? Or is it just a matter of finding your comfort character?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
All my friend does is whine about how Falco's lasers are overpowered. I beat him all the time. Is there a trend? Yes. When he beats me (which is really rare lol), he just says "good game" or "awesome match". It's just your friends, and my friend, using something many people call a "john".

: )

Circu

Smash Rookie
Nah, he's not cheap... As far I can tell so far, I wouldn't say any character is cheap. I would actually say that he's harder to use than some of the other characters. His kill moves are a little easier to see coming than some of the other characters. There are definitely a few characters who are easy to pick up and play, Marth especially, but all are extremely difficult to master. Yeah, I know Falco's lasers are a little annoying, but there are definitely ways around them, dodge, duck, jump, counter for some characters, reflector for others, shield... There are much cheaper things you could be throwing at them than some weak little lasers that do a little stun...

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
hes not cheap, the only way you can say you won in brawl is not for having a cheap character, the correct way is:

"You're good, But im Better"

pretty much Wolf O' Donnel saying.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I'm fortunate enough to have friends who recognize that personal skill is what makes characters seem cheap, but this could be because I knock them senseless no matter who I play as. :laugh:

What I usually do though when somebody starts complaining about how a character is "cheap" or "pick 'n' play," is a) beat them with another character or b) suggest that they play the cheap character. Needless to say, this usually shuts them up.

I should also say that I'm not an expert player by any means, just that none of my friends are that good.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
The only people I've ever heard refer to a character as "cheap" are people who don't quite grasp the game.

Except Olimar. That little **** is cheap as hell.

jnsm19

Smash Rookie
It also could be that you are better than your friends...maybe they should think about a way to counter Falco rather than complain about it. Any character can be a pick up and play well character, its the person behind the controller that makes them better. And there are some characters that are easier to play as than others. You'll have that, but again its the person behind the controller.
As far as Falco is concerned, I am biased and I do use him and I think that he does have a lot of potential but he isn't unstoppable. Other than his Dair Spike, he has no real "automatic" way of killing someone. I find that it is difficult to kill someone at lower percentages *50 to 100* and most of my kills don't come till 140 or higher with a well placed smash attack. Granted I know I'm not the best although I only just played the game just recently so there is still some things to get used to, but again he can be beat.
For the other two, I haven't played as them much and well I'm sorry I can't say anything about that.
As for something to say. Tell em to get better or even to have some fun, have them ditto you *Falco vs Falco* and show them that there is some skill to using my favorite bird of prey :-P

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
also almost my second vid of more advanced techniques is up, pankacke you should really check it up when i post, there comes such sick stuff believe me <.<

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Falco is not cheap, just annoying. He has like two kill moves. Once you get around the laser spamming, he is nothing special. Your friend sucks.

Jun.

Smash Lord
if you are constantly running away and lasering on final destination, that might be a little cheap and ********. Otherwise, I don't see how falco is cheap at all. Maybe metgame melee falco was a little cheap.... but brawl falco seems to be just a good all around character. Pit seems to be more of a pick up character that can be cheap.

to anyone that complains about your character being cheap and noobish, say this

"then why don't you play as him/her/it"

shuts them up everytime. If they're gonna complain about a character being "overpowered," their dumb a$$es should just play this god like character and even the playing field if their statement is indeed true.

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
just let me say, falco can be cheap....there is an edge grabing blaster abuse combo <.<, this gives you invincibility

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
Falco isn't cheap, he's just really good. There's not really a way to prove or disprove that, you just have to accept it.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Hes not cheap but he is really frigin ***gy. SH double laser to shine is insanely good. rapid A is nigh impossible to punish and it sets up for up-smash if they do anything other then shield. He has high priority and a chain grab. Not to mention the laser lock.

No he isnt cheap, but he is a pick up and play character. He shuts down everything a character can do to approach easily and it doesnt take much effort to do so. Great for tournaments, not so fun if you dont want to piss of your friends while just messing around.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Honestly I don't think Falco is cheap. I haven't had much experience with him or seen him in action played by someone who mains him, but that might be the problem. From what I have seen he is hard to pick up and get good with. Even if he is as good as people say I don't yet know why. I would like to see some footage of Falco being a beast. I loved Falco in Melee and I would like to see that love carry over.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Well Falco Has strength I wouldn't say he's "overpowered" since he is slower compared to Fox and Wolf but if your friends are just doing nothing but laser spamming then just roll through it and grab him that's all just be lucky that your friends don't know how to laser lock with him or spike with him because he is a deadly spiker

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Man I'm tired of changing scrubs vocabulary from "Cheap" to "Good"

Thread title should read "Is falco really honestly so good?"

Codi

Smash Ace
falco's not cheap either the player your vsing is better then you or you get really annoyed about the lasers that it distracts you from playing good :p

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Tell them to stop with the johns.

All SHDL does is stop other campers, kill people trying to space aerials too much, hurt people running away too much and open up for combos. It's a very handy tool, but it's not "cheap".

KonradGabreil

Smash Cadet
Alright, cool, thanks guys.

But would you say that there are characters that are harder to master? Such as Fox, Lucas, or even Diddy Kong? (random people)

I am pretty decent with Falco, and I have played him for only about 30 hours combined.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Falco is very "cheap", except he takes more skill then before since he doesn't have an array of 1049234 easy combos.

-His Upsmash and Uair ARE THE SAME STRENGTH as Fox's, aka, solid killing moves. UPSMASH OUT OF SHEILD IS ****, kills at 120-130%...which is low for Brawl. Oh, and his forward smash is pretty sweet given it's nice range and knockback. Back air is still and solid kill move, just like in Melee. Falling Nairs into the ground (not getting off all of the hits) lead into basically anything.

-His double lasers force people to approach. If there too close, shine is a nice substitute. It's not as easy to punish as people may think. You can also just forward B past them, making more space between you too, and spam lasers again. More on the forward b below.

-He can chaingrab a good portion of the cast to 40-70 or to a spike of stage. Speaking of his grab game, if he can't chaingrab, he can still combo out of a downthrow.....or, do this (something I started on my own): Grab, mash A (keep kneeing them), wait for them to escape. When they escape, just shine them. After you shine them, they'll usually trip, so I run up to them and shield. If they do a get up attack, I regrab and do it again. If they roll left our right, I chase them into a canceled Dash A to Upsmash.

-Falco has GGGGOOOODDDD recovery. As Mew2king said, he's soo hard to edgeguard, especially horizontally. His forward b is faster then Fox's, and faster then what it was in Melee. Eventhough people may know when you're going to do it, it still SSSOOO hard to hit him out of it because of it's speed. That being said, it's usable on the stage. You can use it if the opponent is too close to recreate spacing since it's so hard to punish and read.

There's probably more, but that's enough I think. He's "cheap" aka a good character >_> but you have to make sure to abuse every strength he has to make him that effective. Definitely the best space animal in the game regardless (eventhough many already know this).

Mx7f

Smash Cadet
Alright, cool, thanks guys.

But would you say that there are characters that are harder to master? Such as Fox, Lucas, or even Diddy Kong? (random people)

I am pretty decent with Falco, and I have played him for only about 30 hours combined.
lol @ the idea that characters can be mastered, especially within 2 months of the games release (in Japan).

But really Diddy's almost lagless dash attack, and his bananas, and Fox's dair shine, dair uptilt uptilt upsmash or other such nonsense are way easier to do at a beginner level than most of Falco's stuff.

Unless you've been doing the chaingrab from 0-40%, have them escape by DIing away, shieldgrab-dthrow them the other way and laser lock to like 100%. Then yeah, I can see how beginners who only have an elementary understanding of DI or don't realize your setting them up for a shieldgrab or laserlock might think Falco is cheap. :)

Blad01

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think that Falco is a "cheap character"...

In my opinion, he's inferior to Fox or Wolf, so... He's maybe at the beginning more easy to play than Fox, but he's not a "pick-up and play" character. Your friend just sucks :p

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

In my opinion, he's inferior to Fox or Wolf, so... He's maybe at the beginning more easy to play than Fox, but he's not a "pick-up and play" character. Your friend just sucks :p
Hope that wasn't directed torwards me, since my friends are actually competitive players from Melee, one being CunningKitsune, one of nations best Fox players from Melee.

If it wasn't, then my bad :dizzy:

KonradGabreil

Smash Cadet
Ah, mixed opinions, good.
No, I am hardly a master, but I am really willing to keep at Falco to possibly come near-ish to one.
Why is Fox cheaper you say? All I know is his down grab fair ***** me at low %, since I can't seem to DI out of it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

Wolf has limited kill moves and the worst spam out of the three. Since Brawl is more about camping and killing with a solid blow (since combos are near inexistent), that gives Wolf a huge downside. He's definitely the worst space animal in the game.

Fox as nice combos, good killing moves, nice spam, etc...however those combos can all be DIed out of...however Falco has better spam and the SAME killing moves (upsmash/uair are equal strength). Actually, Fox seems he can only kill vertically, given the fact Bair and Fsmash aren't that strong in knockback as before, however Falco's has better range and knockback...hmmm.
Also, Fox is ALOT EASIER to edge guard, his Forward B is much easier to read since it's a lot slower.

Adi

Smash Lord
I know people are going to call me crazy but in all honesty I feel that comparatively he's even gayer then his melee self lol.

D1

Banned via Administration
Wolf has limited kill moves and the worst spam out of the three. Since Brawl is more about camping and killing with a solid blow (since combos are near inexistent), that gives Wolf a huge downside. He's definitely the worst space animal in the game.

Fox as nice combos, good killing moves, nice spam, etc...however those combos can all be DIed out of...however Falco has better spam and the SAME killing moves (upsmash/uair are equal strength). Actually, Fox seems he can only kill horizontally, given the fact Bair and Fsmash aren't that strong in knockback as before, however Falco's has better range and knockback...hmmm.
Also, Fox is ALOT EASIER to edge guard, his Forward B is much easier to read since it's a lot slower.
LOL I kill ppl most of the time vertically w/ Fox FAF drill to usmash @ high percents ftw ^_^.

I still view Falco as my most favorite spacy tho, I camp the most w/ him only prob FAF when I was playin Basic Sausage and/or Bum they would run up to my laser spam and power shield both shots and try to grab...if I shine (you know how if you time it right whenthey grab they have super armor and take a hit and still grab you? well yeah that happened.) it doesn't always help...usually a dodge helps or roll...but I can't resort to that all the time as Bum's DK starts downBind when I decide to roll/dodge. Its a close match...but at least I know when I grab him he's done ^_^.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
No items. Falco Only. Final Destination.

XD

But the looks of it, it is a lot less "cheap" than melee (namely the easily spam able dair)

But if you want to make it interesting (so people think you not mashing the same button ie laser spamming), do less chain throws since they do get very annoying (and repetitive cause you using the exact same attack.)

You'll still have a large variety of ways to attack/kill without grabbing like 10 times.

mrbr0wn1e

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't think Falco's cheap. I mained him at Melee and I main him now. I believe if you're good at SSB, you can pick'n'play any character. I've a friend who almost everytime we play, he chooses a different character, and he's good with anyone. it's only when I tell him to play tourney-like that he chooses his main, Yoshi, and we fight at Final Destination, No items.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
LOL I kill ppl most of the time vertically w/ Fox FAF drill to usmash @ high percents ftw ^_^.
LOL, I meant to say vertically! Like, I mentioned how his UpSmash and Uair>his Fsmash and Bair...heh, I'm dumb lol
Yeah, Fox can only really kill vertically, I meant to say that.
I still view Falco as my most favorite spacy tho, I camp the most w/ him only prob FAF when I was playin Basic Sausage and/or Bum they would run up to my laser spam and power shield both shots and try to grab...if I shine (you know how if you time it right whenthey grab they have super armor and take a hit and still grab you? well yeah that happened.) it doesn't always help...usually a dodge helps or roll...but I can't resort to that all the time as Bum's DK starts downBind when I decide to roll/dodge. Its a close match...but at least I know when I grab him he's done ^_^.
****, hmm, try Forward Bing since it's so hard to punish now.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Man, how can anyone call Falco cheap?
He lost the mobility of his SHL.
You can't start D-air an hour and a half before you need to hit them with it, also you need to be more accurate to guarantee a spike.
Loss of the Pillar.
Loss of mobility in general with the new physics engine.

Seriously people.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
He lost the mobility of his SHL.
And gained DSHL and 2 more moves to spam
You can't start D-air an hour and a half before you need to hit them with it, also you need to be more accurate to guarantee a spike.
Lol, who can get easy spikes in this game?
Loss of the Pillar.
Welcome to Brawl, where shield pressuring for any character doesn't exist.
Loss of mobility in general with the new physics engine.
Who didn't???
Seriously people.
>_>

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Well honestly even if a character is "cheap", its totally opinionated, and its something the other person cant prevent (unless they stop whining and do something about it). Its part of the game.

Its probably annoying to some people that he can reflect, trip with the reflector, stun with laser fire, dash away with >B, chain-grab, spike easy, and short hop into combos...but thats just because they haven't found a way around it yet. Just tell your friends they are sore losers, cause they are to make those kind of comments.

Top Bottom