• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Illusion...

g5tran

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one that finds Falco's side+b annoying as hell? My friend uses this move A LOT and I have no idea how to counter it. I know that if he uses it in the air, he's left vulnerable before he hits the ground, but he uses it a lot on the ground too. Sometimes I get lucky and shield it but it's just too unpredictable to me. I'm pretty sure if I have a smash that hits him while he's passing through me, it will hit him...but that's pretty unreliable. Does anyone have an idea of how to fight a Falco that uses this a lot, or just how to deal with the Falco Illusion in general?

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
try dancing blade... might work, ive never fought a side+b spammer lol

well, if that wont work, predict where his side+b will end and have a smash/aerial/grab ready for him... pretty eimple move to punish with about all chars... or, if youre like pro you can time it XD... i was able to time melee's fox illusion but it seems they got a speed buff in brawl

Blizz

Smash Rookie
Either counter or jumping over it usually solves this for me. Just get used to reacting when you hear the shine sound they make before the attack. If you can't get over it or counter in time, I suppose a shield would work just as well, but I haven't tested it. If he is indeed spamming it, though, counter should work just fine.

g5tran

Smash Rookie
I think there's a split second between the noise and the illusion, but I can't counter that in time. I think the illusion is one of those attacks that will trigger marth's counter, but falco will pass through marth before the counter hits him. I've tried the neutral air spam and fair spam in front of him too, but he usually sees this and just waits to do it in between aerials.

I guess there's no way to offensively counter this then?

Blizz

Smash Rookie
If your friend is just plain spamming it, go near an edge. He'll probably SD if he tries it there.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
If your friend is just plain spamming it, go near an edge. He'll probably SD if he tries it there.
probably the best idea, at the end of the dash illusion doesn't deal any damage, plus he can't run off the edge so if he tries to spam it there just upsmash him after he uses it.

g5tran

Smash Rookie
ah fighting near the edge is a good idea since we usually play on final d. That's probably my best bet then, just have to hope he doesn't camp in the middle of the stage and spam lasers. Ha

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Except by this point Falco would start lasering Marth to pieces from a distance, so be careful.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
wait for him to come back on simple then fsmash off like marth vs sheik melee edgeguarding . falco illusion is annoying in brawl . if you come at him off the stage you are mostly gonna get spiked , and if you try to hit him while on the stage your mostly like to miss . but if you insist on hitting try back faced to him jump away and back air

g5tran

Smash Rookie
yea i played him today and got my butt spiked when I tried to gimp him, I was able to recover but that still limits my options. Overall I just charged a Fsmash and released it when he was near horizontal to me, it hit him some of the time. I guess once he smartens up it'll become more of a mindgames thing.

g5tran

Smash Rookie
Actually scratch that. I just tried measuring the distance and spamming spot dodge so that falco passes through marth and then Fsmashing him. It has like a 75% success rate, probably the best option in my opinion.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
just gtfo, space and know where hes going to land. lol my friend is a side b spammer and hes awlays getting tipped by my smashes.

done and... done1

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
while edgeguarding him i normally stand on the edge waiting for the sound then roll to a forward smash what ive noticed is if a falco see's you on the edge they will aim to hit you instead of the ledge so they can get "free" dmg but if you roll before he does it he wont reach you then forward smash and many time's ive gotten the tip of the sword so maybe try that while he's tryna recover and as for on the ground as they said earlier try sitting on the edge and have your shield ready in case he wants to start gun spam :p GL

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Anticipate. If u read falco's pattern, u can just time a good punishing attack.

The reason why Marth is awesome is that the only suggestions that are consistently said to improve Marthers are space and time, both of which, are the essence of Godly. In other words, Marth is UBER
~Phil Nye

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Read him like a book.
Thats somewhat a bad analogy; in some cases, you don't know what the book's about o_O. I get what you mean though, xD.

Punish the Falco "Illusion" <---- o_O, possibly by Dancing Blade, Marth's side B. Learn to use the side B a lot as well, its one of Marth's most valuable moves. Uh... I haven't tried this, but a well placed jab might work as well.

Counter sucks if you missed, and the "Illusion" will just go past you anyway. If he's attacking you in the air, airdodge, duh (maybe). You can try Dancing Blade there to, or a good fair.

Learn to shield too. <_< If your friend is an "Illusion" spammer, don't try and gimp his recovery. You'll get spiked. Just bird-handle him on the stage or edgehog when you get the chance.

My personal favorite: Get near the edge. If he's stupid, he'll fly right off and commit seppuku.

Top Bottom