• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

xeaid

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm a new-ish player (played for about a year now netplay only) and I'm seriously doubting my own intelligence right now as I've been trying to improve my neutral for awhile now and have gotten no noticeable results, in spite of reading all the PPMD posts, trying to shadowbox and all that good stuff. For solely this reason I've created a smashboards account and am posting a single game of mine. I'd like as much critique as possible. This is it: https://youtu.be/2wKIDyMXp9Y

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Just ask some specific questions. What do you struggle with in game? What exactly are you doing to practice? Is literally nothing working or are some things working and some things aren't?

xeaid

Smash Rookie
The problem is I'm not sure lol. I feel like I'm terrible at picking the correct approach tool/ when I'm in a really neutral position (like both players under opposite side platforms) I don't know how to take a safe-yet-threatening position. Obviously that's still open ended, but I'm having trouble quantifying it any more than that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hi guys, I'm a new-ish player (played for about a year now netplay only) and I'm seriously doubting my own intelligence right now as I've been trying to improve my neutral for awhile now and have gotten no noticeable results, in spite of reading all the PPMD posts, trying to shadowbox and all that good stuff. For solely this reason I've created a smashboards account and am posting a single game of mine. I'd like as much critique as possible. This is it: https://youtu.be/2wKIDyM
2.Xp9Y
Are you playing with Futurama on in the background? I feel like that is probably an unnecessary distraction that makes it way too difficult to focus on what's happening. The human mind is notoriously bad at multitasking so you're probably listening to the show and just spamming autopilot tech skill. This is on display quite clearly in your attack patterns. You seem to have a very short fuse and if your opponent hasn't attacked you within that time, you automatically attack him. The dash attacks are specifically very exploitable. Other than too much dash attack instead of aerials and not enough grabs, you seem to have a generally good idea of which tools you should be using, but you need to sharpen them up. If I had to give you a list of things to work on, it'd be this:
1. Specific and targeted tech skill practice. Don't just hop into netplay games or move around the stage aimlessly to warm up. You should be isolating movements and practicing them individually, trying to do 10 perfect ones in a row. Dash dancing, wavedashing, wavelanding, lasers, and SHFFLs are the most important. Stick to the basics.
2. Be more patient. Don't attack based on a preset tempo, pay attention to where your opponent is and SHFFL/laser at him when your gut tells you he's trapped. Even if you are anticipating him to attack, you can be patient with your defensive zoning options like utilt and bair. Don't throw them out as soon as you get the sense he might approach if you still have room between you. Dash dance/wavedash while you're waiting to stay at a desirable distance. I find that the edge of Fox's FH nair range is a good spacing to maintain because you can anti air him on reaction while also stuffing ground approaches.
3. Grab/shine grab more often. Fox is very elusive so you can't rely on always getting a direct hit. If you pin him down for even a second with a laser, going for the grab is way better than going for an aerial only to have him shield and escape without being punished. Pay attention to when players like to shield, and keep a rough mental tab of how many times you're hitting him out of shield pressure. If he is escaping or counter attacking you out of shield a lot, it's time to switch up to grabbing or baiting those counter attacks by ending your shield pressure earlier (e.g. instead of double shine, shine wavedash away and utilt his aerial OoS).
4. Work on punish game. The few times you connected with a good combo starter, you either didn't do anything (see #1) or hit him with something like bair or fsmash which are used for ending combos, not continuing them. You should be able to pillar combo a CPU, and from there you can branch out into more complex combos involving shine wavelands on platforms.
5. Shield more. Shielding is rarely a desirable situation, but you seem a little too content with just taking hits. If you practice WD OoS and shine OoS, you shouldn't be too afraid of shielding every once in a while. Falco's roll is also good as long as you don't abuse it and create a bad habit. Right now you already have a bad habit of spotdodging, and a lot of them could be replaced by shielding for more consistent defense. Like with #3, if you notice your opponent hitting you a lot, you should shield more. If you're getting grabbed all the time, tone down the shielding. In either case, you should make your primary option to simply get out of the way or be at a better positioning so you're not forced to shield or dodge.

Lucid41

Smash Rookie
Lots of good info up here and yeah PP they def enjoyed that learning experience which was a cool to see.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
This goes back to the last time I asked something in here and the answer was basically "only use 2-3 dashes and be fine with not moving for a moment." (It was re: Fox full hop stuff.) Honestly right now it feels like... how?

IDK, sort of how I feel about it is that I want to keep up a strong laser game and force them to play my game, but they just full hop nair in when I want to approach or do an approaching laser and I just get noped for it. Obviously there's something to be said about the timing that I'm approaching at, but it feels like even just a few dashes is too much sometimes just cuz I still can't really utilt out of those few dashes and the commitment to dash and then just let my character stop isn't all that small.

Am I thinking about this backwards in considering what I do before the laser instead of electing to incorporate waits after the laser and using AC bairs on my way out to create a safer space to utilt? (As I type this, it feels sort of like the correct answer, but I'd like feedback. Sometimes typing stuff out/ talking about my play and possible solutions helps).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I never said you HAD to dash. It's just if you were going to do it keep it very minimal before making a decision. Both times before and after the laser are very important when making decisions. If an opponent is reacting to something you do before you start your laser you'd want to know, same with after.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Not dashing after a laser is such a weird concept to me lol. I'll be sure to try and work on it. I'll probably have more questions about it come Friday once I've had some time to mess around with it a bit.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
When you get an opening.

You'll have to ask more specific questions, I can't do much with that =p

If you want to know how to beat certain options when approaching, or how to make approaching when dealing with two or so possible counterattacks we can get somewhere but I'm not sure what you want to know.

Lucid41

Smash Rookie
That question was a bait but i whiff and u combo'd me

maybe if i approach with something else like, when playing against dash heavy characters sometimes i feel like they always have an option to my approach be it dash away or instant aerial or something. How would you mix up your timing with lasers and DD to work to get an opening?

The first question was triggered me after getting bodied looking for a shortcut but thats what i really meant lol m y B

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Obviously im not PP but I struggled with this feeling for a long time aswell L Lucid41 .

What really got me over the feeling of "I cant approach" is that i was severly undershooting all my aerials/attacks. When i would mess with falcon or fox it was so easy to hit my opponenet b/c i was faster than them. With falco I had to make a concerted effort to really chase down and aim my aerial ahead of where my opponent would dash away too. Make sure you take a few extra steps to cover the extra distance you need to actually hit your opponent.

As soon as i realized this, I also realized falco had a super amazing tool to set this up aswell in the form of his lasers.
Each laser, whether your opponent shields it or takes the hit and dashes back, stops thier momentum for a second and causes them to restart thier movement. Basically, its like a little start and stop gun. If your laser hits you can identify how far your opponent can dash back too and decide if you are close enough to catch them. If you arent, you can shoot another laser or just move forward a bit and let them run out of stage.

Clearly this cant be your only gameplan, but I found it very effective against certain types of players who rely on always dashing away from falco after a laser. I went from being very frustrated by these players to finding them very predictable. If you work from here and imagine what kind of counterplay they could do to your over shot aerial (shield in place and wd out, aerial in place etc) you can figure out better when overshooting your aerial might be an answer.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That question was a bait but i whiff and u combo'd me

maybe if i approach with something else like, when playing against dash heavy characters sometimes i feel like they always have an option to my approach be it dash away or instant aerial or something. How would you mix up your timing with lasers and DD to work to get an opening?

The first question was triggered me after getting bodied looking for a shortcut but thats what i really meant lol m y B
Are they dashing away right after you laser? If so you can overshoot or just take stage (with another laser) or wait them out. If they aerial after laser you can dash back after laser then dash in and hit them or get a lot closer with laser. You probably need to mess with compound approaches more. See if that helps.

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
Hey PP, what do you do about marth platform camping? I've been struggling with our local marth player who likes to sit on the side platform and comes down with either run-off fair or fall through platform fair, and after some labbing I found out that the situation is way harder than expected.

It feels very difficult to deal with Marth's ability to react to my spacing with mixing up his drifts back to stay outside of cc shine or directly falling through the platform to beat aerials. Trying to wait out his run off or fall through fair with lasers feels awkward because in order to stay safe from the furthest possible range of fair, I end up so far away that I can't get a good reward off connecting the laser -- and if I'm too close, I just get hit/grabbed/bad stuff.

Here's an example of me repeatedly losing the situation - https://youtu.be/LvUTkf_JjEo?t=6m20s (6:23, 6:38, 7:01)

My current thoughts are: basically I think my "solution" is to safely play around the run-off fair while also not just giving him all the stage in order to avoid it, because I feel like my way to "win" the interaction is to force him tin the corner by making whiff fall-through fair or him dashing back after run off fair whiffs. I think I've mainly been really frustrated with this interaction in particular because I feel like punishing this "only" nets me stage positioning, while losing this interaction leads to my death lol.

Anyway, your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Do you think that I'm approaching this from the wrong angle or is there some sort of answer I've been overlooking?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Mhm first thing you'll want to do is learn the range of the runoff Fair to play around it. Then you'll want to do jump/WD/dash feints combined with lasers to threaten that area. If you'll notice, he just runs off with Fair any time you start to get near him so you can use that pretty easily. If the Marth were to sit on the platform longer there are options like what I listed. Also if he chooses not to swing when you get closer this will allow you to move in more. Also don't worry about getting a followup off the laser. Dislodging him from the position is your number one priority. If you feel really confident in his falling timing you can always Fsmash/Dair/Nair him for immediate reward. Marth Falco is not a matchup in which you're going to get immediate reward a lot though =p

That said, I've actually thought this wasn't a bad option for Marth for a while so I don't blame you for feeling frustrated. Just keep working on the position and when you understand it I promise it won't be so frustrating.

SnowyCoffee

Smash Rookie
Recently, I've been hearing from a lot of people that Falco is a character that is 5th or 6th best in the tier list, or at best fourth. I've been curious why they think that way, and they respond with how people are starting to get better and better are power shielding, which basically invalidates a huge part of Falco's meta game. They always say that hes probably the most overrated character out the entire cast. Then after that they start to mention how barely anybody plays Falco at top levels and get good consistent placings, and that Falco has horrible kill setups. (With "bad moves" such as up air and up smash.)

Then when it comes to match ups those people says that he is pretty much bad against the whole cast, with him the most going even with characters. Such as how people always which off Falco for Fox when they play puff, and I try to mention how PPMD was top in the world with Falco, with them saying he used quite a lot of Marth for most matchups. However in the end, they still say that one of the main reasons is power shielding, so I want to ask if power shielding really is the end of Falco, and how good he actually is.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well first of all, most people just say he's doing bad because they don't see him in top 8s/doing a lot of new stuff. And they'd be right to be concerned, but there's more out there than what's being used.

Let's talk about powershielding. For the way 99.99% of people use powershielding, it's not really a big deal. If you shoot low enough lasers it's either a 1 frame or impossible window to powershield the laser. Also if you shoot pretty low then jump in aerial/laser you can jump over the reflected laser and hit the opponent, and pressure them if they didn't PS. I personally love abusing the lack of ability to PS low lasers. However, it is possible to even PS those lasers with a Z-PS(see Kadano Marth thread to learn about it). This thing is kind of a pain to do and I'm pretty sure no one has used it yet at a high level(let alone do multiple times in a row). Now let's suppose the worst case: the opponents can reliably Z-PS every laser provided there's little conditioning/lots of space to be ready for laser. First of all, I had to put those qualifiers there to show that even if you can Z-PS it doesn't mean you will if Falco can play neutral properly to use his aerial threats and movement to throw the opponent off balance. But you can't always do this, and some opponents are more sturdy mentally than others. You still have the option of doing the jump over laser PS with your own laser or aerial(you could also theoretically jump back/waveland back to gain data in this situation). Now let's suppose you PS/Z-PS the laser back. They can't reliably PS the laser back again unless they WD'd OOS backwards maybe, but at that point they surely wouldn't be able to punish you anyway. There's an easier alternative though. You can shoot, and if you're worried about PS, you can just FH waveland on side platform then shield drop/isai drop laser back through. You dodge the returning laser automatically with this and re establish control quickly, and you also get timing/visual mixups, as well as access to other platform options(sh off the platform at the opponent, runoff laser, fh to top platform, etc). If you're seriously going to tell me that Falco has NO counterplay to powershielding after I've laid out every option in a general sense and also assumed bad case scenarios multiple times, then I don't know what to tell you. The only thing I could to make it worse is make the opponent really close to you when you shoot so you can't know whether they will PS or not and makes going to platform much less safe, but in that instance dash/WD back as well as running in with nair/dair are both pretty good so it's not as if you're even out of options there(meaning you can play the situation fine on FD, which I think is Falco's best level against many characters anyway).

Also, the very first time I was considered the best in the world(beginning of 2011), it was with all Falco. The only other time I was considered best(early half of 2014) I used Marth for FD against M2K Marth because I was kind of mentally unwell and couldn't handle being CG'd. If I just gave up those games as Falco theoretically I'd have won the sets anyway so it's not like that even mattered iirc. Apex 2015 was a joke for me for a variety of reasons but it was much more of a Marth tourney, which if anything speaks to my own ability and how both characters can succeed individually, but that's another topic.

If you want to talk about something that could actually make Falco's life harder, you'd talk about SDI. That's something that could seriously cause problems for the character, but I think Falco can turn a lot of SDI situations into various 50/50s so it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. I need to spend a lot of time looking into it.

Anyway Falco is amazing afaik and people need to chill on this hate lol.

Last edited:

capusa27

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee It always seems like you're in the middle of fighting against fear mongering since you are a Marth and Falco main

After all of your years on Smashboards and in the community, which of your main characters do you think has the stronger claim towards being better than what rhetoric suggests? Why?

What mistakes are made in the anti-Marth/anti-Falco rhetoric? Thanks.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It used to be the opposite lol where Marth was hated on for being too good and then Falco had the same treatment. I'm not sure which has been more aggravating

People either are complacent with Marth being mediocre or they think he's fine, so it feels like Falco has more to overcome as far as rhetoric goes.

People say Marth loses to Pikachu/Yoshi without anyone really knowing the matchup. They say he loses to Falcon/Sheik/PUFF without trying to seriously lab the matchups and use good stuff others have done. They say Marth can't kill when he's one of if not the best edgeguarders in the game, so if you can hit someone offstage with a weak Dtilt then why can't he kill after?

It's pretty much similar stuff for Falco but you add in extra stuff like PS/SDI fear mongering.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

you said you like to keep fox from getting to the top platform from the side platform during falco combos, do you avoid using shine on side platforms or simply hit with the part of shine that doesn't send fox that direction?

Also, do you still assume youll hit shines in ambiguous situations like you did in the pound 5 era? You used to space yourself to where you would get the best follow up if the shine did hit, and if you got hit you would pressure the next time around.

Also also, out of curiosity, how do you keep track of percent while playing?

Also also also, I've been experimenting with cutting out movement and it seems like the more movement I cut out the less I can react. Most of my reacting now comes from dash back and dash forward wavedash back, everything else I do feels like carefully watching while preemptively dealing with options. Does this seem right?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

you said you like to keep fox from getting to the top platform from the side platform during falco combos, do you avoid using shine on side platforms or simply hit with the part of shine that doesn't send fox that direction?

Also, do you still assume youll hit shines in ambiguous situations like you did in the pound 5 era? You used to space yourself to where you would get the best follow up if the shine did hit, and if you got hit you would pressure the next time around.

Also also, out of curiosity, how do you keep track of percent while playing?

Also also also, I've been experimenting with cutting out movement and it seems like the more movement I cut out the less I can react. Most of my reacting now comes from dash back and dash forward wavedash back, everything else I do feels like carefully watching while preemptively dealing with options. Does this seem right?
Sometimes I let him go up there if he tech rolls toward the center, but I just DJ toward the top platform after shine instead of WL down so I can still get the followup. Otherwise yeah I hit with the other side of shine.

I'm not sure what your second question means.

I know how much a move damages and I also can check it during a combo or out of my peripheral in neutral.

You're probably in positions where you can't actually react then unless it's defensively. If you're at full threatening range you won't hit not matter how much movement you cut out, but if you're close enough to directly threaten dair/nair you'll see you can get more opportunities offensively.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Sometimes I let him go up there if he tech rolls toward the center, but I just DJ toward the top platform after shine instead of WL down so I can still get the followup. Otherwise yeah I hit with the other side of shine.

I'm not sure what your second question means.

I know how much a move damages and I also can check it during a combo or out of my peripheral in neutral.

You're probably in positions where you can't actually react then unless it's defensively. If you're at full threatening range you won't hit not matter how much movement you cut out, but if you're close enough to directly threaten dair/nair you'll see you can get more opportunities offensively.
I'll add the quote I was referencing for the second question.

"I typically do whatever option I think will still work to help me combo if I got the shine. For example, if I'm fighting a fox, then I'll waveshine more than vs, say, Samus because if I the hit on fox the waveshine would be better for me to keep the combo going.

Vs like sheik I would rather jump after shining because it's easier to combo then, and waveshine keeps me grounded too long.

If I get punished for those movements too much, then I'll work on shield pressuring more since I'll probably be punished OOS a lot when I thought I was going to get a shine hit instead" - you in 2010

Do you think that's still on point?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I used to do that and you can do that. Now I prefer to shine grab more and pseudo combo if shine hits, as well as get them to not shield later with grab so I can straight up Dair/Nair them. I've also been thinking of doing some more grounded double shine on shield so if I hit the first shine I can still chase and the second one might hit anyway plus it's good pressure. I just do shine retreating Nair instead so if I get the Nair pushback then I get stage position and damage and if shine hits I still get a pseudo combo. It's not always that cut and dried since it's definitely way more complicated than this, but that's a decent indicator of how I think of it now.

Lucid41

Smash Rookie
Easy income: PP training boot camp get like 10 people, everyone pays like 50 bucks you take them under your wing for a undisclosed amount of time and they all become top level players instantly. Why need a 9 to 5 when you can get little kids to give you money? :) think about it Ill just let it sit here and simmer as the idea becomes more genius by the minute.

Lucid41

Smash Rookie
memery aside its just the thing all smash 4 players are doing where you pay for some 1 on 1 time lol probably one of melees greatest teachers tho imo.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Yeah I used to do that and you can do that. Now I prefer to shine grab more and pseudo combo if shine hits, as well as get them to not shield later with grab so I can straight up Dair/Nair them. I've also been thinking of doing some more grounded double shine on shield so if I hit the first shine I can still chase and the second one might hit anyway plus it's good pressure. I just do shine retreating Nair instead so if I get the Nair pushback then I get stage position and damage and if shine hits I still get a pseudo combo. It's not always that cut and dried since it's definitely way more complicated than this, but that's a decent indicator of how I think of it now.
Hmmmm nice
I'll practice starting combos with shine grab, double shine and shine retreating nairs to get used to the feeling of starting combos with them.

slightly forward westballz pressure seems like it could be good as well if used sparingly because of how fast falco can act after it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Easy income: PP training boot camp get like 10 people, everyone pays like 50 bucks you take them under your wing for a undisclosed amount of time and they all become top level players instantly. Why need a 9 to 5 when you can get little kids to give you money? :) think about it Ill just let it sit here and simmer as the idea becomes more genius by the minute.
I'm aware, but I can't give a good enough product right now. I won't take money unless I can confidently deliver.

Hmmmm nice
I'll practice starting combos with shine grab, double shine and shine retreating nairs to get used to the feeling of starting combos with them.

slightly forward westballz pressure seems like it could be good as well if used sparingly because of how fast falco can act after it.
There's a ton of lag at the end of westballz pressure. Leffen literally usmashed him oos at sns and shined oos on reaction other times. Grounded double shine is better to me because you don't have to WD out of it and can instead grab or retreating nair or do delayed nair pressure or laser to cover roll, etc

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Btw I'm not writing this whole post again about PS and all that so if you guys want I can put it in the OP so people can reference it whenever.
This post could very well be its own thread. Otherwise it's just going to get lost in the 24,000 other posts in this thread, and putting information so specific in a general thread's OP seems off to me; it's not like this board is overflowing with content.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
This post could very well be its own thread. Otherwise it's just going to get lost in the 24,000 other posts in this thread, and putting information so specific in a general thread's OP seems off to me; it's not like this board is overflowing with content.
The OP for the thread has direct links to a ton of his more in-depth posts about stuff (or at least the beginnings of discussions along those lines) so adding his thoughts on how PSing affects Falco in 2017 and what his answers are to it actually makes perfect sense.

Bones0

Smash Legend
My current default for shield pressure is double shine until they respect it, and shine grab once they do. Double shine's ability to beat rolls is shoddy depending on if it's stale or if they buffer them, but like you said, if they get hit by or roll after the first one, the second shine gives me enough time to react and waveshine towards them. The double shine is especially critical vs. Fox and Sheik who are more than happy to shine/nair OoS every single time you shine their shield because of how often they beat shine grab.

One shield pressure option I feel like I have a poor grasp on is simply waveshining back. This should undoubtedly be used to bait bad attacks OoS, but do you think it is worthwhile instead of just shine grabbing which seems to lead to more solid positioning advantages? Maybe I'm not mentally prepared in the moment, but I can never seem to punish most OoS options. Whether it's Fox shine DJing away or Sheik/Peach nairing OoS and drifting back, it feels like I only ever get to reestablish laser pressure, and never actually get a direct punish.

AnonymousID

Smash Cadet
My current default for shield pressure is double shine until they respect it, and shine grab once they do.
I also try to double shine as like my default but I'm wondering what do you do after the second shine? Usually I just straight up jump since I'm not confident I'll always get a grounded shine but I'm thinking that there's something better I can do.

bolt.

Smash Ace
I also try to double shine as like my default but I'm wondering what do you do after the second shine? Usually I just straight up jump since I'm not confident I'll always get a grounded shine but I'm thinking that there's something better I can do.
Look at what pp said on this page for relevant info

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
My current default for shield pressure is double shine until they respect it, and shine grab once they do. Double shine's ability to beat rolls is shoddy depending on if it's stale or if they buffer them, but like you said, if they get hit by or roll after the first one, the second shine gives me enough time to react and waveshine towards them. The double shine is especially critical vs. Fox and Sheik who are more than happy to shine/nair OoS every single time you shine their shield because of how often they beat shine grab.

One shield pressure option I feel like I have a poor grasp on is simply waveshining back. This should undoubtedly be used to bait bad attacks OoS, but do you think it is worthwhile instead of just shine grabbing which seems to lead to more solid positioning advantages? Maybe I'm not mentally prepared in the moment, but I can never seem to punish most OoS options. Whether it's Fox shine DJing away or Sheik/Peach nairing OoS and drifting back, it feels like I only ever get to reestablish laser pressure, and never actually get a direct punish.
My worry about double shine as a default is while you are guaranteed pressure/damage if it works, I have to start wondering about how the meta will skew more toward shield DI'ing the shines away(and vs Marth and Sheik those are grabs I really don't want). Maybe people will just opt to buffer roll to cover double shine or shine grab which means I'd want to skew more toward double shine or single shine laser/WD on reaction then. I think double shine is awesome vs spacies though and should definitely be used more against them since shield DI grab isn't as much of an issue and shine oos is common for both characters.

I have been thinking of WD in place as well as WD back primarily out of shine, but I do worry because I know on my shine single WD back I get shield grabbed by Marth a high percentage of the time without even going for it often, which makes me think they're reacting to my WD. This means I wouldn't try at least WD back vs Marth but possibly also not Sheik(if they did the shield DI away maybe after one shine you'd be safe?). It's probably great vs spacies/puff/peach though. WD down I like too because they're often discouraged from acting due to second shine, which means they will react late to WD down lag and I can get shine out and hit them as they react. It's why people try to grab Westballz shines basically but out of grounded double shine you'd get more options and extensions to make this more feasible and much much harder/potentially impossible to react to. If they buffer roll away you might be able to catch it with this too, whereas WD back you obviously wouldn't get it.

Double shine will be a very high priority for me so I can sort out exactly how all of this, and the meta, work when it's time to get back to training.

`Rival

Smash Cadet
I could speak generally about this, but it'd be kind of abstract so I'll just use your example.

That shine I hit Colbol with was on the wrong side. If I hit him when I was between him and the center he wouldn't have been able to go to the top platform but he was just barely behind me so he went super far. The side you hit shine on is really important.

It sounds like you need to work on your edgeguarding. I was going to save talking about this until after I started doing it, but Falco can do what Leffen does with Fox. Turn with your back to the edge. If Fox comes in hard with side B you can Utilt/Bair it. If he does up-B you react by SH out into dj Dair or shine turnaround Bair. Learn how far out you can go and make it back. This alone will solve a lot of problems, as well as learning to laser so they can't go to the edge if they start up-B above the edge, or how to do edge grab Dair/shine/edgehop dair or bair mixups if the up-B is low(among other things). If you can hit your edgeguards you'll make them not want to DI offstage which turns into nicer combos for you.

That alone will change a good bit so I'll see if that's good enough or you have other questions.
thanks a bunch! yea this helped me out a lot. after finally being able to play while with some people, they started to be afraid of being sent off stage. so a lot of neutral game and combo game scenarios revolved around them doing something to avoid that.
so now im going into matches to see if they are scared of certain positions or not in a different way than i did before.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It can vary, but the more comfortable you get with doing it, the more you can focus on reacting to what happened after the first shine. Once you can reliably hit/block confirm the first shine, you have some more leniency in what options you choose. If I see they shielded the first shine and didn't immediately buffer a roll, I tend to just assume the second shine will hit on shield, in which case it can be treated the same way your mixups are without double shine. If you can't double shine and hit someone's shield, chances are you're thinking of options like grab, fadeaway dair, or waveshine back/forward. These all pretty much work the same after the second shine (albeit with less frame advantage because you have to land from the airborne shine, but it's usually enough to get the options out just the same).

My worry about double shine as a default is while you are guaranteed pressure/damage if it works, I have to start wondering about how the meta will skew more toward shield DI'ing the shines away(and vs Marth and Sheik those are grabs I really don't want). Maybe people will just opt to buffer roll to cover double shine or shine grab which means I'd want to skew more toward double shine or single shine laser/WD on reaction then. I think double shine is awesome vs spacies though and should definitely be used more against them since shield DI grab isn't as much of an issue and shine oos is common for both characters.

I have been thinking of WD in place as well as WD back primarily out of shine, but I do worry because I know on my shine single WD back I get shield grabbed by Marth a high percentage of the time without even going for it often, which makes me think they're reacting to my WD. This means I wouldn't try at least WD back vs Marth but possibly also not Sheik(if they did the shield DI away maybe after one shine you'd be safe?). It's probably great vs spacies/puff/peach though. WD down I like too because they're often discouraged from acting due to second shine, which means they will react late to WD down lag and I can get shine out and hit them as they react. It's why people try to grab Westballz shines basically but out of grounded double shine you'd get more options and extensions to make this more feasible and much much harder/potentially impossible to react to. If they buffer roll away you might be able to catch it with this too, whereas WD back you obviously wouldn't get it.

Double shine will be a very high priority for me so I can sort out exactly how all of this, and the meta, work when it's time to get back to training.
Getting your shine shield DIed and grabbed can be annoying, but I feel like that adaptation is pretty far away from the current meta. If someone is consistently doing it, there's tons of counterplay available, but even without brainstorming the best ways to deal with it, I would probably just stop double shining and start shine grabbing/aerialing. The shield SDI on the first shine only beats a second shine and loses pretty hard to everything else. The spacing of your initial shine matters the most, but it's worth mentioning that angling the stick down and forward to advancing shine can help mitigate shield ASDI, which really forces them to be getting the SDI timing.

As far as buffering roll, there's two possibilities. If they roll after the first shine, I feel like I'm able to just react and SHL out of the second shine. It's more than sufficient for keeping on the pressure. If they roll after the second shine, it's sort of like what I described above where you basically just treat the situation as if you were a player who couldn't double shine at all. Obviously it sucks if someone rolls right as you go for a grab or aerial, but neither of those options have so much lag that you'll ever be worried after doing them, you'll just get slightly less favorable timing/positioning with your next laser (or w/e you do).

Maybe you can offer some insight into shine laser pressure. It's something I used to do relatively often, especially vs. the long wavedash characters, but WD OoS is very rare after double shine, and the risk reward never seems to be there for me when I do get the read on their movement and laser out of shine. Outside of the spacies, the laser often feels like it helps the opponent become actionable quicker if they roll OoS than they would have been if I had just chased them without a laser, and the advantage gained from getting a laser on WD OoS seems minimal vs. the characters that favor it (because they go far enough that the laser doesn't allow me to threaten with anything immediately).

I don't think it's even feasible to react to the shine, so Marth definitely isn't reacting to your wavedash. Marth players just love the risk reward on post-shine options, so they time their grab right after when you shine. Their shield grab loses to immediate aerials and grab, but they can DI aerials away without much worry, and their grab punish is so much more devastating than Falco's, they just do it, not unlike ICs and Sheik mains. A hard counter to that is delaying the shine by a few frames after landing in order to catch players that always respect the shine, but of course that comes with the risk of immediate shield grabs, which can be hard to judge. Perhaps delaying the shine after super deep aerials is more consistent than tight aerial-shine timings, but in either case it seems to be heavily character/player-dependent. Some players just fiend off those shield grabs (M2K, IC mains), while others seem to prefer working their way out of shield or taking the grab (Armada, Falcon mains).

WD through Marth is actually really safe assuming you can do it quickly enough (I forget the leniency, but it's definitely possible). His grab goes so far forward that as long as you shined close, you can get past it before his grab box comes out, and he doesn't have any good OoS moves to keep people off of him (even up-B would sourspot at that range I think). This would also help to chase WD back OoS with a nice juicy dair. I feel like you would have to read that to get there in time, but Marth's lack of backward hitboxes greatly limit his ability to punish this sort of read OoS anyway.

I'm excited to see you start implementing double shines not necessarily because you will be double shining people all over, but I think it will greatly enhance your shine grab game. I think at the end of the day, the meta will always settle around players opting to risk being hit by Falco's grab over shine or other attacks because it's less solid/devastating, but that's obviously something you've done a great job of utilizing in the past, so Falco's shield pressure meta moving to a point where you're getting more grabs and having less people escape is a good spot to be in.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Getting your shine shield DIed and grabbed can be annoying, but I feel like that adaptation is pretty far away from the current meta. If someone is consistently doing it, there's tons of counterplay available, but even without brainstorming the best ways to deal with it, I would probably just stop double shining and start shine grabbing/aerialing. The shield SDI on the first shine only beats a second shine and loses pretty hard to everything else. The spacing of your initial shine matters the most, but it's worth mentioning that angling the stick down and forward to advancing shine can help mitigate shield ASDI, which really forces them to be getting the SDI timing.

As far as buffering roll, there's two possibilities. If they roll after the first shine, I feel like I'm able to just react and SHL out of the second shine. It's more than sufficient for keeping on the pressure. If they roll after the second shine, it's sort of like what I described above where you basically just treat the situation as if you were a player who couldn't double shine at all. Obviously it sucks if someone rolls right as you go for a grab or aerial, but neither of those options have so much lag that you'll ever be worried after doing them, you'll just get slightly less favorable timing/positioning with your next laser (or w/e you do).

Maybe you can offer some insight into shine laser pressure. It's something I used to do relatively often, especially vs. the long wavedash characters, but WD OoS is very rare after double shine, and the risk reward never seems to be there for me when I do get the read on their movement and laser out of shine. Outside of the spacies, the laser often feels like it helps the opponent become actionable quicker if they roll OoS than they would have been if I had just chased them without a laser, and the advantage gained from getting a laser on WD OoS seems minimal vs. the characters that favor it (because they go far enough that the laser doesn't allow me to threaten with anything immediately).

I don't think it's even feasible to react to the shine, so Marth definitely isn't reacting to your wavedash. Marth players just love the risk reward on post-shine options, so they time their grab right after when you shine. Their shield grab loses to immediate aerials and grab, but they can DI aerials away without much worry, and their grab punish is so much more devastating than Falco's, they just do it, not unlike ICs and Sheik mains. A hard counter to that is delaying the shine by a few frames after landing in order to catch players that always respect the shine, but of course that comes with the risk of immediate shield grabs, which can be hard to judge. Perhaps delaying the shine after super deep aerials is more consistent than tight aerial-shine timings, but in either case it seems to be heavily character/player-dependent. Some players just fiend off those shield grabs (M2K, IC mains), while others seem to prefer working their way out of shield or taking the grab (Armada, Falcon mains).

WD through Marth is actually really safe assuming you can do it quickly enough (I forget the leniency, but it's definitely possible). His grab goes so far forward that as long as you shined close, you can get past it before his grab box comes out, and he doesn't have any good OoS moves to keep people off of him (even up-B would sourspot at that range I think). This would also help to chase WD back OoS with a nice juicy dair. I feel like you would have to read that to get there in time, but Marth's lack of backward hitboxes greatly limit his ability to punish this sort of read OoS anyway.

I'm excited to see you start implementing double shines not necessarily because you will be double shining people all over, but I think it will greatly enhance your shine grab game. I think at the end of the day, the meta will always settle around players opting to risk being hit by Falco's grab over shine or other attacks because it's less solid/devastating, but that's obviously something you've done a great job of utilizing in the past, so Falco's shield pressure meta moving to a point where you're getting more grabs and having less people escape is a good spot to be in.
Even if it's far from the current meta, I don't want to wait until it's being adapted to. I want to have the best cycle of options already in rotation by the time something is figured out.

If your aerial is spaced at all, I could see shine grab missing. That's a fair enough point about the forward shine. I don't know the distance difference between shield DI/SDI and forward shine though.

If they buffer roll out they could get out of single shine laser pressure. Adding in the extra shine lag I'd be surprised if you could get anything even semi-reliable against buffer roll in, and that wouldn't be great since you'd lose positioning too if they were cornered.

The laser after shine, if it hits, is to get some more damage and keep the opponent locked up. Yes you do lose some frame advantage because they're out of lag sooner due to laser stun, but if they keep shielding you get a new shield pressure mixup which I think is pretty cool. To me that makes this worth doing.

Oh you can WD through Marth's grab? I'll have to look into that since getting chasedowns on roll away would be really good.

Yeah I already know the throw confirms and want to develop my grab follows further, but I shouldn't always make things so difficult for myself and get more real pressure to complement my neutral game.

This has been good for me since my shield pressure game is pretty weak overall. I wrote some things down to fully test out when it's time. Thanks man

bolt.

Smash Ace
1. Something really obvious that comes to my mind against both is to shoot then dash forward spaced immediate Dair. Safe on shield and would also beat dash attack I'm pretty sure.
What do you mean by spaced dair in this situation? i feel like there's tons of ways to space dair and always get confused by this

Top Bottom