• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Board's Guide to Using Falco (WIP) *We Need to Start on Gameplay*

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Mini Mic's post pit is filled with references

/random

But, I'll see if I can get more people to start working on this again. It seems the Falco boarders like procrasinating and only get stuff done at school/work.

I could do a few things by the end of the month.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
This is a community page, a number of people know the password for the SHDL account and are free to add when they see fit.
Neat concept, though 10 people accomplishing nothing is still... nothing. What has your little group done for Falco that hasn't already been established in other guides? Have you guys put up more detailed information on attacks? Advanced techniques? Anything at all really? Apparently not. Like I said, neat concept, but it could have been done without creating a superfluous thread like this.

Honestly Eno, I have to wonder whether you carry on like this in real life. Obviously you have an issue with me so either take it up in forum disputes or with me by PM instead of making the occasional snide remark like the immature prick you are. A thread of yours got unstickied months ago. Get over it.
You are what seems to be the only active Falco board moderator. You do a poor job, so yea... I keep catching you in your foolery. Start being more sensible, and I won't feel the need to call you on it.

Most of what you have stickied in the Falco boards provide the community with little to nothing in terms of help in the competitive scene. On the other hand, if we're looking for a bunch of spam and reposts of already answered questions... we can keep doing it your way.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Enochuout, dude. Just take it to Forum Support.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Enoch just chill, you have no reason to 'catch him in his foolery' except what I expect to be personal amusement.

If you have problems with the mod just take it to Forum Support like Teran said, there's no reason to be this... crude.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Phantasm Canceling and the reverse up-smash ATs are the hardest for me at the moment. For the Reverse Up-Smash is there an easier way to initiate the move?

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
While you pivot (Turn around) just perform a jump canceled up Smash.

It sounds difficult but is isn't.

Run, turn around, but as soon as you see him turn, jump + usmash/

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
2 Ways I know.

Tap Jump on, you could run, hold joy stick diagonaly (NE or NW position) and hit the C-stick quickly. If you don't, you'll just do a jump, or an aerial.

The way I do it, is running, Joystick diagonal, and X/Y + A. Works well, and is pretty easy. :)

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Neat concept, though 10 people accomplishing nothing is still... nothing. What has your little group done for Falco that hasn't already been established in other guides? Have you guys put up more detailed information on attacks? Advanced techniques? Anything at all really? Apparently not. Like I said, neat concept, but it could have been done without creating a superfluous thread like this.
Once again this is meant to be a community guide, individual guides are no more than two clicks away from the falco forums main page. Admittedly this thread needs work but I don't think being a jerk will accomplish anything. And by the way, this community guide wasn't my idea, I had multiple requests asking for permission to make something like this.

You are what seems to be the only active Falco board moderator. You do a poor job, so yea... I keep catching you in your foolery. Start being more sensible, and I won't feel the need to call you on it.
Saying things to the effect of 'this guide sucks and bumping old threads with 'mini mic has a small ****' is not pointing out my 'foolery' so much as it is being a total *******.

Most of what you have stickied in the Falco boards provide the community with little to nothing in terms of help in the competitive scene. On the other hand, if we're looking for a bunch of spam and reposts of already answered questions... we can keep doing it your way.
The stickied threads have links to most of if not all the community guides. So if there's nothing 'in terms of help in the competetive scene' that's because it doesn't exist. If following links is too hard then there's nothing I can do for you.

I'm not going to be replying to you again in this thread so if you want to talk please do so through forum disputes or PM.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
While you pivot (Turn around) just perform a jump canceled up Smash.

It sounds difficult but is isn't.

Run, turn around, but as soon as you see him turn, jump + usmash/
2 Ways I know.

Tap Jump on, you could run, hold joy stick diagonaly (NE or NW position) and hit the C-stick quickly. If you don't, you'll just do a jump, or an aerial.

The way I do it, is running, Joystick diagonal, and X/Y + A. Works well, and is pretty easy.
Got it. I been doing much better now. Just had to move my fingers around to get it to work. Thanx.

Had to edit again. Do u guyz no any easier ways of performing the Phantasm Cancel cause i can't seem to get it going in my favor. I kno practice is KEY and Kismet told me how but i forgot. If i recall he said something about pressing Y and B simultaneously while performing the side B, i think. I have pretty vague memory on it. lol

Oreos

Smash Apprentice
Got it. I been doing much better now. Just had to move my fingers around to get it to work. Thanx.

Had to edit again. Do u guyz no any easier ways of performing the Phantasm Cancel cause i can't seem to get it going in my favor. I kno practice is KEY and Kismet told me how but i forgot. If i recall he said something about pressing Y and B simultaneously while performing the side B, i think. I have pretty vague memory on it. lol
yeah that's basically how you do it although i cheat and use x to jump (cause im weird) i set my z button to special and only use it for iap so i jump the immediately do z to the side works every time and is really easy to cancel (y)

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Here are moves a Falco should know when in certain positions. These are not to say what these moves do in general, just how they're useful in different areas of Falco's game play.

Neutral Position
Notable moves: Bair, Dair, Up Smash, Ftilt, Nair, Grab, Phantasm, Uair, Laser poke
Ftilt and Bair: spaces but not very many follow ups, move of choice for spacing/push-away.
Dair: Spaces decently but gets punished easier than Bair. Has better setups for damage. Move of choice after a prediction to get in an advantageous position.
Up smash: allows Falco to get under and get spacing spammers(people who just throw out attacks for the sake of spacing) up into the air(Falco's advantageous position.) This is probably even more important than being a kill move.
Nair: Good air pressure, bad for spacing, good follow-ups.
Grab: Beats people who get patient and shield camp. Prediction punish
Uair: *Very risky shield poke*, guaranteed follow up.
Laser poke: Gets the opponent to be more aggressive. Only shoot sparingly unless across of Final D.

Advantageous Position: This would be any time you knock the opponent into the air, but not when they're off the stage. Also includes tech chasing. Does not include across the stage since Snake and Pit out camp Falco if done right.

Notable moves: Vertical Speed, SH over get up attack, Up tilt, IAP, Bair, Dair, Uair, Dthrow, Nair, Jab mix-up, Fsmash
Vertical speed and SH over attack: Falco mechanics that allow you to avoid attacks and punish quickly or be punished harder. Use them well.
Up tilt- Puts the opponent back into the air. High priority without diminishing Up smash.
IAP- free pop up move out of any tech chase. Cancels into follow ups.
Uair- Forces air dodges and kills if they don't air dodge. Amazing range. Follow up Bair, Uair
Dair-Spikes into tech chase or kills off stage(or at least bad positioning off stage) Fast, unpunishable if used right
Dthrow-CGlol, aerial tech chase until 100-120%
Jab-grab/AAA- see Dthrow, AAA builds damage.
Fsmash-covers 3 of 4 tech chase options and all covers all 4 if placed by the ledge. Kill move.

Disadvantageous Position: Off the stage, falling with no jumps, and being tech chased.
Notable moves: Phantasm cancel, Nair, Uair, Jab, Vertical Speed
Phantasm Cancel-Changes amount of options to get back to the stage from 2 to 4 possibilities.
Nair- Fast, high prioritiy, can drag them down to get up tilted.(Then see advantageous position) Move to counter continuous attack streams.
Jab- Fast push away move that can mix up into grab.
Falco's vertical speed helps him escape faster....duh...

Kill tricks/Setups: Punishing forced air dodges, catching landings, and catching moves thrown for spacing. Not including tech chasing.
Notable moves:Up smash-DACUS(ugh I hate that name) Fsmash, Uair, Bair, Dair
Up smash/dacus lets Falco cover ground fast. This can be useful to punish landings and get under thrown spacing moves(Marth's Fair).
Fsmash: Kills after a baited air dodge or baited approach.
Uair: forces an air dodge and follows up with Bair. It kills if the opponent doesn't air dodge.
Dair: Spike kill after forcing an air dodge.

Lasers are not as good as everyone thinks they are. If you try to laser camp someone good, they're going to punish you hard for it.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I think we should add the fact that around 60-100 percent,(60 for light characters, 100 for heavier) a F-tilt sets up a perfect laserlock. making actually doing one easier.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Ha. i still think that there is no way we have discovered every possible setup. There must be an easier way to make it happen. The forward tilt is the easiest one ive seen so far. g on even your worst matchups.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
ftilt and getup are the main ways.
alternatives are knocking from a platform or firebird.

If youre desperate theres dsmash and throws

Jon?

Smash Champion
Isn't D-throw to jab a common way as well? I never try to go for a laser lock in tourny matches, seems to inconsistent when I try to do them.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Isn't D-throw to jab a common way as well? I never try to go for a laser lock in tourny matches, seems to inconsistent when I try to do them.
I don't know at which percentage it even works on which character, that and it's DI dependent, so yeah..

Jon?

Smash Champion
Is it possible to set up a platform laser lock by phantasming across Battlefield to plop the opponent onto one of the platforms?

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Is it possible to set up a platform laser lock by phantasming across Battlefield to plop the opponent onto one of the platforms?
In theory, i think so, i have tried this a few times, but became frustrated and gave up. If you could pull it off, it would be too pro. ;)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I lol at people wanting to interrupt phantasm halfway with a strong attack with abysmal lag and get firebird laserlocked instead.
Happened a lot to me already : D

Jon?

Smash Champion
Last time I tried to firebird someone I ended up getting DK charged Fsmash.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
I'm still terribly confused as to why this garbage is stickied as opposed to Din Peregrine. The information here is spotty at best, the descriptions are wordy and often superfluous, the organization is tacky, and aside from random conversations in the thread, the guide hasn't been active (i.e., not updated). From what I understood, the reason this guide was in place was because it was a "community driven" guide in progress. There is much in Din Peregrine which is cited from other members, and the videos displaying each technique were created by another member of the community as well. As far as I'm concerned, any guide is open to contributions from the community, why else make it a forum topic... if you don't want people's input, you don't need a thread.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I agree with Enochuout.

He is completely correct and we should just sticky his guide. We won't ever finish what Enochuout has already accomplished.

Lets just get the vids up for Eno and we should end it there.

Enochuout

Smash Journeyman
The moderators here have become far too inactive. It's absurd. Yes, they may post here and there, but in terms of fulfilling their duty as moderators, i.e., keeping spam down, organizing our stickied section, closing inappropriate topics, etc, they just seem to be absent. And when they do attempt to do something, they seem to do so with little foresight and a serious lack of understand of the impact. Can we please get an active, competent moderator to step in for the Falco boards... otherwise, aside from the random useful post, all we're going to get around here are bread jokes and questions that have already been answer in countless other threads.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
As badly as it hurts my soul, based on posts like this, maybe we should just sticky Eno's guide for now, because, like no work is getting done on this.

Also, the Falco boards here really do need more mods. Teran's the only one that reads these forums regularly.

Edit: There has been a little bit of work done in the FBR, though, but I've been too lazy to post it. I guess that isn't really helping this thread.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Ok, we get that this thread should be unstickied, and Eno's thread stickied.

Stop ****ing talking about the same ****.

If you see the mods are inactive, PM AN ADMIN, or Teran, our newest active mod. Talk to them about mods for this forum, or about sticking/unsticking threads.

PLEASE.

Top Bottom