• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Falco: Approaches and Combos/Strings

Ayeyomidget

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thomas.P6
3DS FC
2638-2639-0690
We have a thread for sharing NNIDs and FCs:

i will check it out
I just pseudo-chain grabbed someone using D-throw > Nair > D-throw > Nair :O
sounds pretty good il try it out and see how it works
I tried it out and u can jab lock with 3 lasers after the second neutral air u could probably do a dash attack or something like that

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
The Dair lag cancel seems to be an universal thing so any character with a laggy aerial can supposedly perform it.

Ayeyomidget

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thomas.P6
3DS FC
2638-2639-0690
Yeah but do u know if it still works on the new update cause I've been trying for a while and I haven't gotten it yet it may be that I'm bad but maybe Nintendo took it out I'm not sure

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think grab resets are a thing now since chain grabs aren't. I think someone in the Zelda Social mentioned about Pit's grab reset combo.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
do you have a video about that it sounds interesting
Pit's or Falco's? If Falco, then you're gonna have to ask Zionaze since I don't know how D-throw to Nair to D-throw works. I don't know about Pit's either since I just saw someone mention it. Maybe look in the Pit boards?

Ayeyomidget

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thomas.P6
3DS FC
2638-2639-0690
U can only do the nair twice but u can do th fair at least three times

here is something 4 the down throw fair. once you hit the fair nudge the control stick in the opposite direction this way youl be able to do a still fair and fit three but only if you start on one side and go all the way to the other side .It does 47%

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Please stop double posting. I know Smashboards can be finicky, but have you tried refreshing the page to check if your post was posted?

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen
d-throw -> dash -> up smash yet.
which works very consistently on the entire cast.
But I've got a longer one as well, I don't think I've seen this setup yet, which leads into any throw combo.
simply crouch attack -> dash grab.
which only works at low percents but it does work. And it leads into any throw combo. I've done it several times online.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen
d-throw -> dash -> up smash yet.
which works very consistently on the entire cast.
But I've got a longer one as well, I don't think I've seen this setup yet, which leads into any throw combo.
which only works at low percents but it does work. And it leads into any throw combo. I've done it several times online.
D-throw > Upsmash is only recommended at low low %s because of the off chance that they could either jump out or Nair you out of it, otherwise its a great way to start off your match.
Again, just like the other followup, characters that fall fast or have fast Nairs could retaliate before you can grab. Another thing is D-tilt has 3 different hitboxes, body, tail, tip so you have to remember that too.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
D-throw > Upsmash is only recommended at low low %s because of the off chance that they could either jump out or Nair you out of it, otherwise its a great way to start off your match.
Again, just like the other followup, characters that fall fast or have fast Nairs could retaliate before you can grab. Another thing is D-tilt has 3 different hitboxes, body, tail, tip so you have to remember that too.
I've been experimenting with
D throw - dash attack - sliding upsmash or jump canceled upsmash - up tilt - sh bair. Its DI-able. But just a thought something to mix it up feels different too.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I tried D-throw to F-Smash on pit at 0% and it registers as a true combo (deals 20% damage in total). Doesn't seem to work on any other character however.
D-Throw to F-tilt is a true combo on most of the cast however (deals 14%). Same with D-Throw to Void reflector (also deals 14%).

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
So, we all know (or at least most of us) that down throw to bair is a good bread and butter that does 18% and it works till like 50% on most characters...Well i found a nice follow up for this at low % you do your dthrow to bair combo then you need to fast fall, dash and grab him again, then repeat the combo, it works almost everytime, they land o the ground almost at the same time you grab them, lots of damage right there, you can also go for other moves like tilts or smash but i always feel safer doing the grab again to rack up more %.

Yes this is really good combo starter, Falcos D-tilt combos into grab, jabs and f-tilt, and i bet it combos into u-tilt if you manage a perfect pivot into u-tilt, best follow up for the D-tilt i think is the grab or jab comb, work like a charm for me.

now lets see: d-tilt +grab d-throw +bair + grab d-throw + bair = 9%~12%+18%+18% = 45%~48%.....really nice start for falco.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
If the opponent doesn't tech, you can combo D-Throw into 3 F-tilts at )% (jab locks the opponent) and well timed F-smash to deal a whopping 47% damage. Alternatively, you can combo it into up smash and follow it up w/ a bAir

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
If the opponent doesn't tech, you can combo D-Throw into 3 F-tilts at )% (jab locks the opponent) and well timed F-smash to deal a whopping 47% damage. Alternatively, you can combo it into up smash and follow it up w/ a bAir
yeah its really good i saw a video of someone doing it to a ganon, it was like a 50% combo, maybe more, but in high lvl play its very unlikely that they dont tech after your d-throw

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I know this isn't guaranteed, but I've actualy done chain grabs on some people.
Something like, d-Throw -> dash -> up-smash -> d-throw -> up-smash

I've only done this against people who don't opt to jump after my down throw up smash combo, but the actual chain grab looks to work fine in the right situations.
And on some characters it looks like it's un-escapable, but I'm sure its not.

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I know this isn't guaranteed, but I've actualy done chain grabs on some people.
Something like, d-Throw -> dash -> up-smash -> d-throw -> up-smash

I've only done this against people who don't opt to jump after my down throw up smash combo, but the actual chain grab looks to work fine in the right situations.
And on some characters it looks like it's un-escapable, but I'm sure its not.
I've done this too, opting for d-throw -> dash attack -> d-throw -> dash attack, repeat, at early percents.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I've done this too, opting for d-throw -> dash attack -> d-throw -> dash attack, repeat, at early percents.
Also swag combo.
Down throw -> short hop lazer.
Absolutely no reason to use this,
Aside from when down throw or up throw combos don't work. But really,just swag combo

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Also swag combo.
Down throw -> short hop lazer.
Absolutely no reason to use this,
Aside from when down throw or up throw combos don't work. But really,just swag combo
At higher percents it could work since D-throw starts to launch people more. Also, it could work as an unexpected follow up.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
At higher percents it could work since D-throw starts to launch people more. Also, it could work as an unexpected follow up.
talking about unexpected follow ups, i tend to do this a lot when i bthrow at high %, i dont know if it true combos, but i get the laser to hit it almost every time, when i do the b-throw i first run after him for a bit then i full hop into laser, its nice to rack up a bit more % and it great when off stage since it messes with your opponents recovery quite a bit.

Also i think ppl know this already but d-throw can combo into f-tilt, and even d-tilt on fastfallers, when at low%, but maybe ppl havent posted about this cuz bair and dash atack are much better options.

Last edited:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
talking about unexpected follow ups, i tend to do this a lot when i bthrow at high %, i dont know if it true combos, but i get the laser to hit it almost every time, when i do the b-throw i first run after him for a bit then i full hop into laser, its nice to rack up a bit more % and it great when off stage since it messes with your opponents recovery quite a bit.

Also i think ppl know this already but d-throw can combo into f-tilt, and even d-tilt on fastfallers, when at low%, but maybe ppl havent posted about this cuz bair and dash atack are much better options.
yea, lazer edge guarding is kinda a thing. Its not really to get kills ( aside from very specific circumstances), its more to rack up dmg while the opponet is getting back to the stage.
But they're is an actual way to kill someone with edge guarding lazer. Pit and dark pit's charing side-B s bonce off of lazers, and becuase they free fall after they hit somthing, you can get an early kill.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Regarding approaches, RAR Bair is easily falco's safest and best approach. It has good range, great knockback, and can occasionally chain into it self at lower percents. Falco can usually followup with a grab after a RAR Bair to, making it a nice combo starter.

If you assume the opponent is going to spot dodge, dash attack is a great move to punish that due to its long lasting hitbox. Its not a safe approach option however as it has a bit of cool down.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
More grab reset combos by @I Am Normal (IAN): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wvvkGtrHTY.

And I'm not sure what IAN's doing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzQ8p2kBbkM. To quote:
"What I'm doing here is canceling the ending lag of Falco's short hop air dodge. I'm doing this by buffering an aerial right after the air dodge but right before Falco hits the ground, thus canceling end lag for whatever reason. You can do the cancel with all of Falco's aerials, and this technique is also possible with Captain Falcon."

Isn't this the short hop before doing an aerial to eliminate landing lag that people were talking about?

Edit: Asked and got a question from @Lavani.
Airdodge's IASA is earlier than the autocancel by something like 5 frames. You can airdodge>aerial autocancel earlier than just airdodge autocancelling.

Example: Right Greninja airdodges 2 frames later, but autocancels using nair while the left Greninja suffers airdodge landing lag.
Edit 2: Edit Harder: Apparently gfycat can't be quoted...

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
So I was playing some offline matches today and started implementing some moves I rarely ever use. Such as nair up tilt and f tilt.

At lower percents instead of going for the D throw startup I did a bair to F tilt to down tilt follow ups included nair or two up airs. If the bair is spaced properly which is what I was practicing it gives foes a small window to react before getting hit with the F tilt or two.

Also at 60%+ when D throw is not really useful, up throw to nair is just awesome it harasses everyone I've used it on. Falco having the highest jump and a quick second jump helps him catch up to foes quickly to connect the nair. Not to mention you can squeeze a laser in for some chip damage. If after the nair they end up behind you in the air falco can B reversal. It forces them to spam air dodges into the ground which leads to regrab or f smash.

Last edited:

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
I usually utilize these strings when I'm practicing against my friends, I actually found that there is another combo that could work. (Not sure if it's a true combo)
D-Throw->Up-Smash->Back Air

It works at the start of the match and brings about 40-ish percent, I also believe that after back air it can go into a forward tilt and into a dash attack.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I usually utilize these strings when I'm practicing against my friends, I actually found that there is another combo that could work. (Not sure if it's a true combo)
D-Throw->Up-Smash->Back Air

It works at the start of the match and brings about 40-ish percent, I also believe that after back air it can go into a forward tilt and into a dash attack.
Against most of the cast I love to do D throw - dash attack - up smash - 2 up tilts - bair - landing with a F tilt or dash attack and even a d tilt if close enough.

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
Against most of the cast I love to do D throw - dash attack - up smash - 2 up tilts - bair - landing with a F tilt or dash attack and even a d tilt if close enough.
that's quite a nice combo, yet I tested it out and couldn't someone DI away from the Up smash?

(also if they don't DI I just prefer using neutral air or forward air, it seems a bit more reliable to me for some reason...)

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
that's quite a nice combo, yet I tested it out and couldn't someone DI away from the Up smash?

(also if they don't DI I just prefer using neutral air or forward air, it seems a bit more reliable to me for some reason...)
Yeah they can DI but against the highly aggressive dair spamming air dodging foes it works beautifully against. Also you want to hold the up smash a bit incase they air dodge. You always have a different group of players. The ones who jump after the up smash. The ones who air dodge after. And the ones who try to attack with a dair or nair. for Those who dair and air dodge, this works on them. The jumpers you can follow up with uair or Nair thanks to Falco's jumping ability.

Also as a side note. I've really been obsessed with up throw to nair on enemies above 50% it's amazing for damage building and the follow ups are great too. People will air dodge into the ground leading to regrabs smashes or up tilts.

Last edited:

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
Yeah they can DI but against the highly aggressive dair spamming air dodging foes it works beautifully against. Also you want to hold the up smash a bit incase they air dodge. You always have a different group of players. The ones who jump after the up smash. The ones who air dodge after. And the ones who try to attack with a dair or nair. for Those who dair and air dodge, this works on them. The jumpers you can follow up with uair or Nair thanks to Falco's jumping ability.

Also as a side note. I've really been obsessed with up throw to nair on enemies above 50% it's amazing for damage building and the follow ups are great too. People will air dodge into the ground leading to regrabs smashes or up tilts.
If only DACUS was back... also down tilt into forward air could be threat at higher percents if I'm correct.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Closest thing we have is jump canceled up smash. It goes a wee bit farther but helps.I'm not a fan of Falco's new upsmash
I like the animation of Falco's Up Smash and I'd like it better if it connected better and the hitbox wasn't messed up. Hey, at least it's not Zelda's Up and Side Smash where people fall out more than Falco's Up Smash. I remember a gif where her Side Smash saved a ZSS by sending her backwards to the other side of the stage with the first hit. Yeah, at least Falco's first hit with Up Smash actually sends people in a better position for Falco.

Last edited:

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
Closest thing we have is jump canceled up smash. It goes a wee bit farther but helps.I'm not a fan of Falco's new upsmash
Sadly, it doesn't go that far. Also I kinda agree, the one hit back in brawl and melee couldn't be punished greatly due to the minimal ending and start-up lag; but still, the damage capabilities are better.

Top Bottom