• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Hey, guys. I'd like some advice! If you have at least some competitive Smash knowledge, help me out here.

When Mewtwo releases, he'll obviously be my top main, but that means dropping a few of my current mains and moving them to secondaries. Like I mentioned before, a "serious" competitive guy like me should probably stick to no more than 3 mains. (Nothing against you if you use more than that, this is just my preferred playstyle!)

So if I have Mewtwo and two others, who should I keep? My candidates are :4samus::4kirby::4charizard::4lucina::4robinf:and *maybe* :4link:.

Based on how you think Mewtwo will play, what two characters should I continue to use based on favorable matchups? Who of those would make the best counterpicks and give me the best edge against the biggest variety of opponents?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hey, guys. I'd like some advice! If you have at least some competitive Smash knowledge, help me out here.

When Mewtwo releases, he'll obviously be my top main, but that means dropping a few of my current mains and moving them to secondaries. Like I mentioned before, a "serious" competitive guy like me should probably stick to no more than 3 mains. (Nothing against you if you use more than that, this is just my preferred playstyle!)

So if I have Mewtwo and two others, who should I keep? My candidates are :4samus::4kirby::4charizard::4lucina::4robinf:and *maybe* :4link:.

Based on how you think Mewtwo will play, what two characters should I continue to use based on favorable matchups? Who of those would make the best counterpicks and give me the best edge against the biggest variety of opponents?
If you insist on only 3 (personally, I plan on using around 5, 2-3 strict mains, with 3-4 being pocket mains/secondary), at least keep Robin. He/She's a great character who may cover more styles than Mewtwo, while still being similar. For instance:

:4ness: and :4robinm: have a move that traps opponents, fall fast and floaty jumps. Both have fantastic tilts and specials, with many having multiple uses. They do have their differences, but where they overlap, I can develop a more central metagame. Hopefully, Mewtwo will be floaty and more strategic (like Robin) but is able to have the grab kills and strings of Ness.

So really, I'd advice looking at the characters that overlap, yet have distinguished differences. I know that both Samus, Robin, and Kirby are floaty, so there's a start.

EDIT: Oh, and I have :4megaman: as well. He's fantastic, with his midrange and mind games making him one of my favorite characters. So have one or two characters that overlap, with a character that may be vastly different.

That's just my...

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I stick to the characters in the emblem found below. :4lucina: first, then Mewtwo, then :4samus: and then :4robinm:. Samus and Robn represent my edge in keep away and the zoning game, and thus my defensive side, while Lucina and Mewtwo will focus on my talent for pressure and fake outs; the offensive side.

4 mains is acceptable for me.

Last edited:

MathewRYF

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathewRYF
My dream would be a Pokemon DLC pack that included Mewtwo, Ivysaur and Squirtle as returning fighters.

I did say it was a dream...
Dreams and adventure await you, my friend. Along with Pichu for some reason.
You're forgetting someone...
Fun fact: The actual Falcon Punch we see is actually that powerful, he just doesn't use it at it's full power. The Falcon Punch he DOES use, however, well... see this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ue28Mbs8D4&index=100&list=LLtXZFQjfCgoY36tchgijc2Q
(the embedding on this video is disabled, so I can't embed it here)

In other news, I've seen many people talking about Mewtwo's potential moveset and it's correlation with it's personality. I will say this now, there's probably a reason our in-game "King of the Mews" is taking 5-6 months to develop. Sure, his Melee moves were okay, but he might be going through the same process some of the other veterans went through. In other words, a tweaked or otherwise different set of moves and properties. Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Sheik are probably the best examples of how much different Mewtwo might be. Who knows, he may get the Palutena treatment with his custom moves as well.

D

Deleted member

These are some of Mewtwo's Pokedex entries from the games. Its quite easy to tell what type of personality Mewtwo has just from reading these (this is in terms of game Mewtwo not the anime ones).
But what about the later entries that never even mention Mewtwo as evil, simply calling him a result of horrific gene-splicing?

You guys need to stop trying to make Mewtwo into a villain, let go of that.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I stick to the characters in the emblem found below. :4lucina: first, then Mewtwo, then :4samus: and then :4robinm:. Samus and Robn represent my edge in keep away and the zoning game, and thus my defensive side, while Lucina and Mewtwo will focus on my talent for pressure and fake outs; the offensive side.

4 mains is acceptable for me.
I've seen your sig before. I was like, "Hey, they have the same top mains as me..."

Agree that Lucina is a great approaching character! I mained Mewtwo, Samus, and Falco back in Melee, and they seemed to complement each other well for varied MUs.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
If you insist on only 3 (personally, I plan on using around 5, 2-3 strict mains, with 3-4 being pocket mains/secondary), at least keep Robin. He/She's a great character who may cover more styles than Mewtwo, while still being similar. For instance:

:4ness: and :4robinm: have a move that traps opponents, fall fast and floaty jumps. Both have fantastic tilts and specials, with many having multiple uses. They do have their differences, but where they overlap, I can develop a more central metagame. Hopefully, Mewtwo will be floaty and more strategic (like Robin) but is able to have the grab kills and strings of Ness.

So really, I'd advice looking at the characters that overlap, yet have distinguished differences. I know that both Samus, Robin, and Kirby are floaty, so there's a start.

EDIT: Oh, and I have :4megaman: as well. He's fantastic, with his midrange and mind games making him one of my favorite characters. So have one or two characters that overlap, with a character that may be vastly different.

That's just my...

Good stuff, I've been improving with Robin lately, so that's great to know.

I've been interested in Mega Man for a while, but I heard he isn't very good competitive-wise. Maybe people aren't playing him right?

I've also been considering learning :4zelda:or even bustin' out :4wario: from my Brawl repertoire if they'd complement the psychic kitty-man better.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
But what about the later entries that never even mention Mewtwo as evil, simply calling him a result of horrific gene-splicing?

But... But he is a villain. Or he was at one point, at least. I mean, even in Origins, he was a villain. There's really no way around it: Mewtwo was a villain, at least at one point. Of course, Femtwo was a hero, as was Mewtwo in Mewtwo Returns. So, I'll give you that. However, in half of his appearances (Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Origins) he was the villain. Not to mention, Pokemon Origins is his most recent depiction. I would consider Mewtwo more of a border-line character: Good when he needs to be good, bad when he wants to be bad. And, regardless of that, Mewtwo still has his personality, which tends to tilt toward the villainous side, even in Mewtwo Returns. The fact that he was a hero in that special does not prevent him from a having a more villanous personality, in a similar vein to Shadow from Sonic: A good guy with a villainous personality. Femtwo, granted, had a "hero's" personality, from what I understand (I've never seen the movie), so that is a point in your favor.

Anyway, the response I just gave was way too long-winded. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, even if Mewtwo isn't a villain, he was at one point, and he has a villainous personality, regardless of his moral orientation.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
But... But he is a villain. Or he was at one point, at least. I mean, even in Origins, he was a villain. There's really no way around it: Mewtwo was a villain, at least at one point. Of course, Femtwo was a hero, as was Mewtwo in Mewtwo Returns. So, I'll give you that. However, in half of his appearances (Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Origins) he was the villain. Not to mention, Pokemon Origins is his most recent depiction. I would consider Mewtwo more of a border-line character: Good when he needs to be good, bad when he wants to be bad. And, regardless of that, Mewtwo still has his personality, which tends to tilt toward the villainous side, even in Mewtwo Returns. The fact that he was a hero in that special does not prevent him from a having a more villanous personality, in a similar vein to Shadow from Sonic: A good guy with a villainous personality. Femtwo, granted, had a "hero's" personality, from what I understand (I've never seen the movie), so that is a point in your favor.

Anyway, the response I just gave was way too long-winded. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, even if Mewtwo isn't a villain, he was at one point, and he has a villainous personality, regardless of his moral orientation.
Agreed. I see him as 60/40 (60% villain) but he's definitely a dark character.

But for the most part I just wanted to say I like your Wonderful 101 sig. If there's one other character I'd like to see in Smash because it would make a great fit, it would be those guys (Wonder Red default and the others as alts.) And since we're talking about Platinum Games, I wouldn't mind seeing Bayonetta as a Snake-type one shot for SSB4.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Good stuff, I've been improving with Robin lately, so that's great to know.

I've been interested in Mega Man for a while, but I heard he isn't very good competitive-wise. Maybe people aren't playing him right?

I've also been considering learning :4zelda:or even bustin' out :4wario: from my Brawl repertoire if they'd complement the psychic kitty-man better.
Mega Man is a special case, you can't get too close or too far away. I think people just have to get used to his physics and such. I've had success with him in For Glory anyway.

D

Deleted member

In other news, I've seen many people talking about Mewtwo's potential moveset and it's correlation with it's personality. I will say this now, there's probably a reason our in-game "King of the Mews" is taking 5-6 months to develop. Sure, his Melee moves were okay, but he might be going through the same process some of the other veterans went through. In other words, a tweaked or otherwise different set of moves and properties. Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Sheik are probably the best examples of how much different Mewtwo might be. Who knows, he may get the Palutena treatment with his custom moves as well.
As far as specials go, though, I don't think Sakurai has ever replaced more than one special on a character from one iteration of Smash to another. So my bet is that Mewtwo will probably have at least 3 out of 4 specials from Melee, and if any had to go, I bet it would be Disable.

I think most people hope Disable gets replaced too, because it was pretty much worthless.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Agreed. I see him as 60/40 (60% villain) but he's definitely a dark character.

But for the most part I just wanted to say I like your Wonderful 101 sig. If there's one other character I'd like to see in Smash because it would make a great fit, it would be those guys (Wonder Red default and the others as alts.) And since we're talking about Platinum Games, I wouldn't mind seeing Bayonetta as a Snake-type one shot for SSB4.
Why, thank you, good sir! I'm a huge supporter of Wonder-Red, or any Wonderful One for that matter, and supported him on par with Mewtwo before Mewtwo was confirmed. There's a thread for supporting him, if you ever feel like talking about him! I wouldn't mind Bayonetta, myself, either.

But, the thing that really makes this post for me is the fact that you completely ignored the Mewtwo banner:p.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
As far as specials go, though, I don't think Sakurai has ever replaced more than one special on a character from one iteration of Smash to another. So my bet is that Mewtwo will probably have at least 3 out of 4 specials from Melee, and if any had to go, I bet it would be Disable.

I think most people hope Disable gets replaced too, because it was pretty much worthless.
I'm pretty sure pit had 2 changed

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm pretty sure pit had 2 changed
I'm pretty sure Pit had 3:p: Guardian Orbitars, Upperdash Arm, and Power of Flight. However, I believe Guardian Orbitars is functionally identical, save for the fact it's larger and covers both sides, so your point still stands.
I guess this is all to say: There isn't a real limit on how many Specials will be changed, only however many Sakurai wants to change.

D

Deleted member

Yes true, Mewtwo was a villain, he was a savage, however, things have changed since then, and also, during the end of Mewtwo Strikes Back, Mewtwo became a hero and that transferred into Mewtwo Returns, that change didn't happen overnight.
And on the matter of Mewtwo Returns, i don't think sacrificing your life to save the ones you love and simply wiping the minds of the same team that tried to destroy him as opposed to annihilating them when you had the chance falls under the "villain" category. Just because Mewtwo isn't jubilant and sprinting around on all-fours screaming "PIKA!" doesn't mean he is evil now.

And also, during the first half of the pokemon games Mewtwo was a villain, but now, he is neither due to the fact that the pokedex no longer gives info on his alliance anymore, simply calling him a modified clone or whatnot, The Origins Mewtwo is based off of the first half because that was what the entire movie was based off of, which is why i believe that Mewtwo was feral because that type of reckless mindset fit his physical appearance and pokedex description for the time, besides, Pokemon Origins was basically just a detailed, more canon-based look into the past, not what the series still canonically goes by today.

And i am not calling Mewtwo a hero either, that would be a stupid assumption on my behalf, and to be fair, maybe he still is a villain, maybe a hero, however i believe him to be more of an anti-hero or neutral.

Again, thank you for your reply! It is nice when all of these Mewtwo fans, each diverse, and unique, can come together with our own opinions and talk about who may be 98% of these people's favorite character...

Mewtwo

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
A bit random but you guys know what I want to see with this new Mewtwo? Anyone here played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2? Penance has this whirling psychic tornado that engulfs his enemies, and he's just levitating in a majestic-stoic stance - it would look so good on Mewtwo: (It starts at 0:22 if it doesn't do it automatically.)

Why, thank you, good sir! I'm a huge supporter of Wonder-Red, or any Wonderful One for that matter, and supported him on par with Mewtwo before Mewtwo was confirmed. There's a thread for supporting him, if you ever feel like talking about him! I wouldn't mind Bayonetta, myself, either.

But, the thing that really makes this post for me is the fact that you completely ignored the Mewtwo banner:p.
Oh I didn't mention it because I thought that was a given :p

As far as specials go, though, I don't think Sakurai has ever replaced more than one special on a character from one iteration of Smash to another. So my bet is that Mewtwo will probably have at least 3 out of 4 specials from Melee..
While a part of me does agree with this, Mewtwo is a special case. He's not Dr. Mario in that he's a clone, and that's the only cut character I can think of that came back. It all depends on what Sakurai thought of his moveset in Melee and how it would compete now. For the most part I think they'll re-use certain animations that are already in the game and add in some new ones, that's how most characters in the game are designed now (whether or not it will replicate Melee Mewtwo, who knows, but I'm leaning more towards seeing a brand new Mewtwo that's almost nothing like his Melee iteration) but if you ask me, I'd rather see them give Mewtwo the powers of Master Giant/Master Beast! I'd be SO content with that. Not an exact copy, mind you, but similar to how Greninja and Robin has the same rapid jab or how so many characters in the game have a counter yet they're all somehow distinct.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
A bit random but you guys know what I want to see with this new Mewtwo? Anyone here played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2? Penance has this whirling psychic tornado that engulfs his enemies, and he's just levitating in a majestic-stoic stance - it would look so good on Mewtwo: (It starts at 0:22 if it doesn't do it automatically.)

Oh I didn't mention it because I thought that was a given :p

While a part of me does agree with this, Mewtwo is a special case. He's not Dr. Mario in that he's a clone, and that's the only cut character I can think of that came back. It all depends on what Sakurai thought of his moveset in Melee and how it would compete now. For the most part I think they'll re-use certain animations that are already in the game and add in some new ones, that's how most characters in the game are designed now (whether or not it will replicate Melee Mewtwo, who knows, but I'm leaning more towards seeing a brand new Mewtwo that's almost nothing like his Melee iteration) but if you ask me, I'd rather see them give Mewtwo the powers of Master Giant/Master Beast! I'd be SO content with that. Not an exact copy, mind you, but similar to how Greninja and Robin has the same rapid jab or how so many characters in the game have a counter yet they're all somehow distinct.
I actually came up with a Tornado-Esque Final Smash for Mewtwo, back when I first started generating concepts for him. You wouldn't believe how long I spent trying to come up with an in-character Final Smash for Mewtwo. Anyway, I finally came up with this.

Final Smash-Psystrike-Mewtwo makes a hurricane of pure dark electric energy that he creates with his immense psychic powers. The tornado surrounds Mewtwo, and he rises into its eye, where he floats calmly with his arms folded, as if he were just watching a chess match. The hurricane is incredibly large, and it generates an extremely powerful vacuum effect. Anybody sucked into the tornado takes high Darkness damage constantly, and they're pulled toward the eye if the hurricane, making escape extremely difficult. Mewtwo can move slowly in any direction, even up, and as such the hurricane follows him. After 15-20 seconds, the hurricane deals an incredibly powerful final Darkness blow, and then dissipates, ending the move. Mewtwo then calmly floats back down to the ground, his arms crossed the entire time.

I know it doesn't resemble Psystrike's in-game animation, but neither does Volt Tackle, and I feel like this represents Psystrike's raw destructive power excellently. I got a lot of inspiration from the storm Mewtwo created with his psychic powers in Mewtwo Strikes Back. This Final Smash just seems to perfectly embody Mewtwo, to me, at least.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I apologize for the double post, and I know Halloween is basically America-only, but screw it.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!:skull::skull::skull:

And then a special call-out to my favorite Halloween movie!:love:
Man, I loved that movie!

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
You should probably email Sakurai and tell him that then since he was the one that made Mewtwo a villain in the Smash Bros universe and since he is returning to Smash Bros, I think its a safe bet he will be a villain again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You should probably email Sakurai and tell him that then since he was the one that made Mewtwo a villain in the Smash Bros universe and since he is returning to Smash Bros, I think its a safe bet he will be a villain again.
perhaps. I honestly don't know at this point. But regardless of his alliance, attacks, taunts, recolors, etc.
I just hope they make his moveset a good one.

To everyone on this thread - Perhaps they can keep his tail attacks and add in some cool psychic moves, i would really hope that Confusion works like it's PM iteration or better.

As for that move, i think that it should be a command throw, but you should be able to throw them in the same directions as you can shoot Firefox in, the move also needs good Base Knockback and good Knockback Growth

I like Disable though, but it should always hit for 5% damage and confuse foes longer, have it be that you use down-b again the opponent will go flying for another 5% damage that can kill as low as 90%, thus giving you plenty of options at your disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I guess either way, I think we can expect a beefed up Mewtwo. As this time around there seems to be a much greater effort put into balance, I think that even if Mewtwo retains his Melee moveset, his specials will probably work better (as in Project M). Or else, he might get some altogether new moves, and that would be exciting too. The announcer did say he was a "new" fighter, right?

And yes, I forgot about Pit's other specials being changed, thanks. Honestly, I wish more veterans had gotten the Pit treatment. Shake things up a bit.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I hope they do something to make his Shadow Ball more special from Aura Sphere and Water Shuriken .

I once had the idea to make Mewtwo Charge up two less powerful Shadow Balls and could be fired anytime, adding more diversity and how you play Mewtwo.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Let's talk about something interesting: Mewtwo's personality.

Where do you think Mewtwo falls on this spectrum?

http://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Here's a few of his traits, if it helps:

-Vicious
-Ambitious/Self-driven ("I long to demonstrate my power to the world!")
-Actively Questioning ("Who am I and why am I here? I just appeared here. I haven't even been born to this world yet. Who am I?")
Chaotic neutral. Wait, wrong personality chart...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

:4charizard: & :4sheik: both say hi
And @ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern mentioning :4pit: is correct for the most part. Up-B was altered, his Side-B completely changed, & his Down-B was altered. So technically 3 different Specials, but one was completely changed so it's not as accurate when saying 3 completely different Specials.

So surely, with the major changes they've gone through from just one iteration of Smash, Mewtwo could very well have 2 or even 3 different specials. I'm not confident in which ones would be replaced, because frankly, all 4 of them may be different. Which I'm actually hoping for to have a clean new slate of a character like Mewtwo. I would love to see an entirely new different Specials move-set, with all of those new Custom Special varations.:awesome:

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I guess either way, I think we can expect a beefed up Mewtwo. As this time around there seems to be a much greater effort put into balance, I think that even if Mewtwo retains his Melee moveset, his specials will probably work better (as in Project M). Or else, he might get some altogether new moves, and that would be exciting too. The announcer did say he was a "new" fighter, right?

And yes, I forgot about Pit's other specials being changed, thanks. Honestly, I wish more veterans had gotten the Pit treatment. Shake things up a bit.
:4charizard: & :4sheik: both say hi
And @ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern mentioning :4pit: is correct for the most part. Up-B was altered, his Side-B completely changed, & his Down-B was altered. So technically 3 different Specials, but one was completely changed so it's not as accurate when saying 3 completely different Specials.

So surely, with the major changes they've gone through from just one iteration of Smash, Mewtwo could very well have 2 or even 3 different specials. I'm not confident in which ones would be replaced, because frankly, all 4 of them may be different. Which I'm actually hoping for to have a clean new slate of a character like Mewtwo. I would love to see an entirely new different Specials move-set, with all of those new Custom Special varations.:awesome:
Come to think of it, didn't most fighters get an upgrade of some sort? Or tweaks? I wasn't able to play Brawl much but all the characters seem more refined this time around on the 3DS. Off the top of my head, the others that got noticable tweaks/upgrades are:
:4dk::4bowser::4yoshi::4zelda::4fox::4falco::4ganondorf::4kirby::4lucario::4olimar::4ness::4metaknight:

So I guess that's almost everyone? Granted not all of them got new powers, but still.

Gahhhhhd tho.. we need more details for Mewtwo. I at least want to know if he's going to have the same moveset as in Melee but buffed or a completely new one. Sakurai should be capable of releasing that information early.. I mean it's not really spoiling anything..

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Come to think of it, didn't most fighters get an upgrade of some sort? Or tweaks? I wasn't able to play Brawl much but all the characters seem more refined this time around on the 3DS. Off the top of my head, the others that got noticable tweaks/upgrades are:
:4dk::4bowser::4yoshi::4zelda::4fox::4falco::4ganondorf::4kirby::4lucario::4olimar::4ness::4metaknight:

So I guess that's almost everyone? Granted not all of them got new powers, but still.

Gahhhhhd tho.. we need more details for Mewtwo. I at least want to know if he's going to have the same moveset as in Melee but buffed or a completely new one. Sakurai should be capable of releasing that information early.. I mean it's not really spoiling anything..
Differences whether they were changed, tweaked, upgraded, augmented. . .in some way characters get refined. Mewtwo may be an exception of being more refine pertaining to his move-set than most. Like for example,
--Melee Mewtwo being changed would involve his Up-B removing the helpless state after appearing at Point B in Teleport
--Confusion not having the push-back or the pop-up-then-fall effects
--Shadow Ball losing the large recoil
--Disable itself
But personally, I don't want to be spoiled of his move-set until next year in Spring. I want them to explain Mewtwo as a whole with all of the new things covered in a Smash DLC Direct video.:awesome:

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Differences whether they were changed, tweaked, upgraded, augmented. . .in some way characters get refined. Mewtwo may be an exception of being more refine pertaining to his move-set than most. Like for example,
--Melee Mewtwo being changed would involve his Up-B removing the helpless state after appearing at Point B in Teleport
--Confusion not having the push-back or the pop-up-then-fall effects
--Shadow Ball losing the large recoil
--Disable itself
But personally, I don't want to be spoiled of his move-set until next year in Spring. I want them to explain Mewtwo as a whole with all of the new things covered in a Smash DLC Direct video.:awesome:
Why would you want Shadow Ball to lose the large recoil? I mean, it actually aids with recovery, if you're facing the right direction, and with Teleport's helpless effect removed, Mewtwo can Teleport forward, turn around during the Teleport, and then toss the Shadow Ball. Then, he could turn around with Confusion in order to face the ledge. Shadow Ball's recoil was more of a help than a hurt. Plus, the recoil just looks awesome:awesome:.
I hope they do something to make his Shadow Ball more special from Aura Sphere and Water Shuriken .

I once had the idea to make Mewtwo Charge up two less powerful Shadow Balls and could be fired anytime, adding more diversity and how you play Mewtwo.
I think two major differences would Shadow Ball's recoil and jagged path. The recoil itself makes a huge difference, as it aids in recovery, unlike Aura Sphere and Water Shuriken. The jagged path allows it to hit enemies slightly above and below itself, which ultimately gives it a slightly larger range and a little less need of accuracy.
However, all that said, I'm curious: How would you implement Double Shadow Ball? Like, if it functions like Shadow Ball, then you would have to fully charge one Shadow Ball, and then fully charge another, before you would be able to fire either, and you wouldn't have the option to shoot smaller Shadow Balls.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Why would you want Shadow Ball to lose the large recoil? I mean, it actually aids with recovery, if you're facing the right direction, and with Teleport's helpless effect removed, Mewtwo can Teleport forward, turn around during the Teleport, and then toss the Shadow Ball. Then, he could turn around with Confusion in order to face the ledge. Shadow Ball's recoil was more of a help than a hurt. Plus, the recoil just looks awesome:awesome:.
I didn't say I wanted SB to lose the recoil, but if it was removed I'd like it. Unless they emphasize on the recoil by making a Custom Special promoting it to be a great recovery option, then maybe I'd use that Custom Shadow Ball variation.:p

The idea of sacrificing a FCSB just to recover to me just feels like a poor choice to use. It was okay in Melee to use it first when launched in the corners so you get a little oomph in distance, but Melee Mewtwo's SB recoil wasn't enough worth for me to opt using for recovery purposes, when I'd rather use the FCSB to edge-guard break their attempt(s) instead, then at least from the possible success of the SB connecting I'd be safe to recover using my DJ & Teleport accordingly.

Now if we went with the implied change initially, & applied your idea, then maybe it'd be a decent option, but now the question is "Would Teleport take away our DJ despite the helpless state removed?"

And for finishing this post up, the recoil to me expressed how powerful it was when fired Fullcharged. That Raw Dark power:awesome:

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I didn't say I wanted SB to lose the recoil, but if it was removed I'd like it. Unless they emphasize on the recoil by making a Custom Special promoting it to be a great recovery option, then maybe I'd use that Custom Shadow Ball variation.:p

The idea of sacrificing a FCSB just to recover to me just feels like a poor choice to use. It was okay in Melee to use it first when launched in the corners so you get a little oomph in distance, but Melee Mewtwo's SB recoil wasn't enough worth for me to opt using for recovery purposes, when I'd rather use the FCSB to edge-guard break their attempt(s) instead, then at least from the possible success of the SB connecting I'd be safe to recover using my DJ & Teleport accordingly.

Now if we went with the implied change initially, & applied your idea, then maybe it'd be a decent option, but now the question is "Would Teleport take away our DJ despite the helpless state removed?"

And for finishing this post up, the recoil to me expressed how powerful it was when fired Fullcharged. That Raw Dark power:awesome:
I apologize for my ignorance, but what does FCSB mean? I know SB stands for Shadow Ball and DJ stands for Double Jump, but I've not a clue as to what FCSB stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom