• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I think the real question is how much representation a series deserves to have. It should be proportional, ideally. One Earthbound rep is enough, for example, considering only three games were ever made, and of those only one was localized outside of Japan. I think adding Palutena was a great addition and 2 reps for Kid Icarus seemed fine with me. I don't dislike Dark Pit, but in that case, considering there have only been a few Kid Icarus games total, 3 reps seems kinda much, right?

On the other hand, Mario is the flagship franchise of Nintendo, and there have been countless Mario games to date, accumulating a large number of interesting and recurring characters. It only makes sense to have more Mario characters than most other franchises. I think Pokemon is in a similar boat.
Exactly. The issue I find with the series' proportions is that they're not leveled accordingly. It's so inconsistent. Mother & Ice Climbers makes sense as it stands right now because reasons we know, yet when Mother & F-Zero are getting about the same amount of treatment, it baffles me when we consider F-Zero has gotten 7 games, including other medias such as anime etc..

Either hand, this is Bummer May Horus!
:4sonic:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ok guys, here's a good questionnaire for y'all. In comparison to the rest of the cast- how would Mewtwo be best described in all Smash Stats?

I'll start with mine.
Mewtwo's SSB4/5 Statistics:
Weight: 5/10 I'll admit, Mewtwo should NOT be a heavy character. But he shouldn't be light either, despite how much he weighs in the games. This is simply because it refers to his floaty nature in his typing.
Height: 7.5/10 Mewtwo is a pretty tall character, there's no denying that. He may even be slightly taller then Charizard in this game due to his upright position. This'll make him easy to hit...but it also makes his range a lot better. Combined with his weight, he can be relatively easy to KO.
Walking Speed: 4/10 Imo, he shouldn't have a very fast walking speed. But it shouldn't be the "worst" either. A little below average is my guess.
Running Speed: 7/10 Ok, Mewtwo DEFINITELY needs a Speed buff, so I'm going to give him a 7 over what was originally a 5 for him in Melee. I'm aware of how fast he is in the games, but like his weight, this doesn't need to be shown in full capacity.
Air Potential: 8.5/10 Mewtwo is a Psychic Pokemon- his Air Game needs to be amazing. Perhaps even more amazing then it was in Melee.
Overall Knockback Potential: 9/10 While his attacks may not be that powerful, we all know of how strong his grab game is. Mewtwo's Up-Throw can easily KO once you get them above the 100 percentile. And with that speed boost...it'll be easy to pull off.
Overall: Damage-Racking Potential: 8/10 If he maintains his tail combos. 6/10 If these get changed to psychic attacks.
Grab Game: 10/10 Mewtwo has some of the best-if not the best grabs in the game. Be it for knockback or damage...Mewtwo always has what you need the most.
Range: 9/10 Mewtwo will, of course, have insane reach. Be it with his tail or his psychic attacks.
Uniqueness: 10/10 Mewtwo brought a whole new twist to fighters in Melee. I'm sure he'll do the same in this game too.

Give me opinions on my thoughts and post your own ideas guys. ^.^

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ok guys, here's a good questionnaire for y'all. In comparison to the rest of the cast- how would Mewtwo be best described in all Smash Stats?
*sucks air through teeth*

Every Smash statistic. .. hmm. . .first let me give my opinions. ^^ They're inside the quote below:
Weight: 5/10 I'll admit, Mewtwo should NOT be a heavy character. But he shouldn't be light either, despite how much he weighs in the games. This is simply because it refers to his floaty nature in his typing.
I disagree with 5/10. It's because from Melee he was light, but in hindsight he wasn't as light as say, Pikachu, or Fox. He was heavy enough to be borderline mid-light but it's still pretty dumb his weight was exactly the same as Young Link, a kid, which is stretching it. Compared to SSB4 weights now however, character's weights increased for the better, blast zones / lines are larger, thus not-so-heavy characters can seem heavy. I would rate him higher.
Height: 7.5/10 Mewtwo is a pretty tall character, there's no denying that. He may even be slightly taller then Charizard in this game due to his upright position. This'll make him easy to hit...but it also makes his range a lot better. Combined with his weight, he can be relatively easy to KO.
I used to believe Mewtwo returning to Smash would be around the same height as he was in Melee, but with a new game characters over the years get bigger / smaller by a smidge, or by a lot. I can agree with this score.
Walking Speed: 4/10 Imo, he shouldn't have a very fast walking speed. But it shouldn't be the "worst" either. A little below average is my guess.
I can dig this score. The game runs faster overall, which boosts everyone's speeds.
Running Speed: 7/10 Ok, Mewtwo DEFINITELY needs a Speed buff, so I'm going to give him a 7 over what was originally a 5 for him in Melee. I'm aware of how fast he is in the games, but like his weight, this doesn't need to be shown in full capacity.
Interesting score. For Melee though I would of actually gave him a 4, just because his movement speed wasn't par with most of the cast. But here seeing a 7, it's intriguing & understandable since the game runs faster like I said previously for the walking speed, so naturally Mewtwo would feel a lot faster here. I'm cool with this score.
Air Potential: 8.5/10 Mewtwo is a Psychic Pokemon- his Air Game needs to be amazing. Perhaps even more amazing then it was in Melee.
I can be okay with this.
Overall Knockback Potential: 9/10 While his attacks may not be that powerful, we all know of how strong his grab game is. Mewtwo's Up-Throw can easily KO once you get them above the 100 percentile. And with that speed boost...it'll be easy to pull off.
I don't agree with this score. When you say Overall Knockback Potential, that involves his entire move-set. And if his overall move-set had incredible knockback, then how are we supposed to combo & rack damage early %? KO them early?:laugh: I wish, but the only characters that KO early are usually heavy characters with strong powerful moves fully capable of doing so; Mewtwo so far from your stats isn't a heavy-weight nor has weak recovery. Mewtwo can't be this good.:p
Overall: Damage-Racking Potential: 8/10 If he maintains his tail combos. 6/10 If these get changed to psychic attacks.
I dig it. Although it may come to light that the psychic attacks may work better than his tail attacks.
Grab Game: 10/10 Mewtwo has some of the best-if not the best grabs in the game. Be it for knockback or damage...Mewtwo always has what you need the most.
I don't agree with this score. A perfect 10/10 would define outrageous grab-game that's completely puts characters on lock-down, intimidating them when approaching you because of that perfect grab-game, grabbing any of their attempts or punishes. This would also imply that Mewtwo's frame data, damage, knockback, & KO potential are all soaring through the roof. 10/10 would mean that Mewtwo's standing grab, dash grab, pivot grab, roll canceled grab, pivot boost grab, & dash-dance grab are all superior to every other character's grab-game, including the godlike throws.
Range: 9/10 Mewtwo will, of course, have insane reach. Be it with his tail or his psychic attacks.
I almost dig it. A 9 sounds amazingly long though, are we talking Shulk range?
Uniqueness: 10/10 Mewtwo brought a whole new twist to fighters in Melee. I'm sure he'll do the same in this game too.
I dig this, Mewtwo did bring new elements to the table of Smash Bros., & as fate would have it, he expressed the meaning of grab finishing, tail attacks, & a darkness-based attack, with the iconic & dangerous projectile of his. Him returning with a fresh start may or may not increase his Unique level of game-play however.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just wanted to get this out there, and this is just my personal opinion..

However...

I don't think that Mewtwo should be a psychic based character.

here's my reasoning behind it.

Do you have a Smash bros game?

The answer is most likely yes

Now, play a character with projectiles and only use their projectile moves.

Was that satisfying?

(i'll let you guys decide on this one)

Now, play any character and combo your opponents

Was that satisfying?

(again, you can decide)
---
9/10 times people usually prefer to combo rather than projectile spam, however that same audience would also like to have a projectile.
--
The point
Mewtwo shouldn't be Villager/Megaman 2.0.. I know you guys think it's cool for Mewtwo to effortlessly destroy his foes with long ranged attacks, but what gain are you receiving? you are just pressing buttons and watching character fly around the screen with projectiles, essentially, you are becoming a spammer. It's almost like you guys try to make a unique Sm4sh moveset for Mewtwo as if Sakurai already wasn't aware of this and making a unique one.

And no, i am not saying make him all physical, but look at Project M, that Mewtwo has like two psychic-based moves... Confusion and Disable, yet you guys love PM Mewtwo and you guys have never said he needed more psychic moves or that has was just Lucario or Charizard, or a weak character (you guys claim him to be OP).

I do think that Mewtwo should get more psychic attacks, he is a Psychic-type Pokemon, but that shouldn't be his playstyle
It isn't competitive or fun.
---
Extra
First off, know that Mewtwo is good with both attack and special attack so there is no excuse to swat those move away

Another thing... If you are Mewtwo and all you do is have projectile energy waves for every single attack, then why is that Mewtwo model there? it is purely aesthetic. The only gain you are seeing is Mewtwo moves its animated joints as it loads up an Article (Special Character Projectile) from the data. So why not just make an invisible energy blob with energy attacks? there is no difference.

physical moves make characters stand out, not projectiles. like if you Copy/Paste Samus' dair to Dr.Mario, The Doc will basically never land that blow, because due to samus presumably having more bones than Doc, Samus bone for her attacking arm might be 36 in hex (54 in decimals) wheras Doc's may only be bone 1F in hex (31 in decimals), but since this is a ripped move,it will still be assigned to bone 36hex, and it doesn't stop there, some move's hitboxes have something called an "axis", there is a Z,Y, and X axis in that order. The Z axis takes moves off the 2D plane and can be modified, The Y axis move attacks up on the 2D plane and can be modified, and The X axis moves attacks forward on the 2D plane and can be modified.
Sometimes these are factored into characters moves so now Dr.Mario can't really hit with Samus' dair at all.
However with Samus' Projectiles, Copy and Paste those to Dr.Mario and it's as if they were always there, because it's just an article and an animation.

I am not trying to be rude or condescending, but if you guys honestly want a competitive, unique, fun, and cool Mewtwo.
You might want to consider having both physical and psychic attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

However...

Was that satisfying?

Was that satisfying?

(again, you can decide)
---
9/10 times people usually prefer to combo rather than projectile spam, however that same audience would also like to have a projectile.
--
The point
Mewtwo should be Villager/Megaman 2.0.. I know you guys think it's cool for Mewtwo to effortlessly destroy his foes with long ranged attacks, but what gain are you receiving? you are just pressing buttons and watching character fly around the screen with projectiles, essentially, you are becoming a spammer. It's almost like you guys try to make a unique Sm4sh moveset for Mewtwo as if Sakurai already wasn't aware of this and making a unique one.

And no, i am not saying make him all physical, but look at Project M, that Mewtwo has like two psychic-based moves... Confusion and Disable, yet you guys love PM Mewtwo and you guys have never said he needed more psychic moves or that has was just Lucario or Charizard, or a weak character (you guys claim him to be OP).

I do think that Mewtwo should get more psychic attacks, he is a Psychic-type Pokemon, but that shouldn't be his playstyle
---
Extra
First off, know that Mewtwo is good with both attack and special attack so there is no excuse to swat those move away

Another thing... If you are Mewtwo and all you do is have projectile energy waves for every single attack, then why is that Mewtwo model there? it is purely aesthetic. The only gain you are seeing is Mewtwo moves its animated joints as it loads up an Article (Special Character Projectile) from the data. So why not just make an invisible energy blob with energy attacks? there is no difference.

physical moves make characters stand out, not projectiles. like if you Copy/Paste Samus' dair to Dr.Mario, The Doc will basically never land that blow, because due to samus presumably having more bones than Doc, Samus bone for her attacking arm might be 36 in hex (54 in decimals) wheras Doc's may only be bone 1F in hex (31 in decimals), but since this is a ripped move,it will still be assigned to bone 36hex, and it doesn't stop there, some move's hitboxes have something called an "axis", there is a Z,Y, and X axis in that order. The Z axis takes moves off the 2D plane and can be modified, The Y axis move attacks up on the 2D plane and can be modified, and The X axis moves attacks forward on the 2D plane and can be modified.
Sometimes these are factored into characters moves so now Dr.Mario can't really hit with Samus' dair at all.
However with Samus' Projectiles, Copy and Paste those to Dr.Mario and it's as if they were always there, because it's just an article and an animation.

I am not trying to be rude or condescending, but if you guys honestly want a competitive, unique, fun, and cool Mewtwo.
I agree with you that not all of Mewtwo's attacks should be psychic. I'd like some physical attacks. Really, I think a buffed up Melee moveset is all he needs before he's ready to rock and roll. I'm a fan of his tail attacks, and his smash attacks, especially his D-Smash, are awesome; they just need a damage buff. However, I don't think anybody on this thread was suggesting we remove every single physical attack. I mean, just because all of Special Attacks are psychic or projectiles, save for ones that involve his awesome Spoon, doesn't mean we thought all physical attacks needed to be removed.
Also, I 100% agree with you: Using a character with a few projectiles and comboing is a lot of fun!

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I always found the whole "Mewtwo sucked in Melee, so he shouldn't return" argument to not have a lot of standing, and I hear it all the time.

I mean, let's look at Bowser. His Melee and Brawl iterations were downright depressing. His WD was pretty useless and his out-of-shield options were few and far between. But then Smash 4 comes along, makes a few tweaks, and suddenly he's perfectly viable. Most of the "bad" characters improved at least once from one game to another. Samus improved, Ness is finally decent in SSB4, and even Zelda is finally there for something besides transforming.

Like I said before, Smash 4 is reaching 64's levels of true balance where every character (so far) seems like they have something to bring to the table.

Spirst

Mewtwo's moveset should just consist of him using his spoon to whack people upside the head.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

However...

Was that satisfying?

Was that satisfying?

(again, you can decide)
---
--
The point
Mewtwo should be Villager/Megaman 2.0.. I know you guys think it's cool for Mewtwo to effortlessly destroy his foes with long ranged attacks, but what gain are you receiving? you are just pressing buttons and watching character fly around the screen with projectiles, essentially, you are becoming a spammer. It's almost like you guys try to make a unique Sm4sh moveset for Mewtwo as if Sakurai already wasn't aware of this and making a unique one.

---
Extra

Well I do think that he's going to be a mix of physical and ranged attacks, but I have no problem with long ranged characters. And there's a fine line between combos and spamming. If you do the same combo over and over again, wouldn't that be similar to spamming overall? For the most part I would find it interesting if Mewtwo was mainly ranged because there are barely any characters who do that. The closest I can think of would be Duck Hunt and I enjoy his playstyle, you can definitely combo with his specials if you know what you're doing. It all depends on the mechanics of his powers.

Right now there are way too many archetypal melee characters, including Little Mac and everyone with a sword, and so far there isn't a character who's forte is in ranged attacks, so I wouldn't mind Mewtwo being that. It would definitely make him a special character and harder to use in the same vein as Shulk, Robin, Rosalina, etc.

With that said, I can see them doing it in so many ways. One off the top of my head would be to give Mewtwo mostly ranged attacks with a long range instant teleport so that he can play keepaway - the antithesis of Little Mac where he'd be more powerful at a certain distance instead of up close BUT also have some powerful distance-making smashes/tilts. They would give him melee attacks but those would also be ranged melee attacks similar to Lucario's Force Palm or ZSS's whip which would put your opponents at a distance while damaging them. They can give him mid-ranged and long-raanged attacks that can be strung together in a combo. They introduced the "vacuum" mechanic in the game - what if Mewtwo had a powerful black hole-type vacuum attack (anyone play Kat in Playstation All Stars?) or a long ranged grab so that when he used a ranged attack he can just draw them back in before they start flying off and as soon as they start flying back towards you, hit them with a powerful side smash or start a combo?

Again, I don't think he'll be purely ranged, but if he is (which I'd be content with because it would make him unique) there's no reason why they can't give him a fighting mechanic where his ranged attacks can combo. Sakurai can do pretty much what he wants as long as Mewtwo doesn't become OP, but even within those limits, the possibilities are endless (figuratively speaking.) I alone can imagine several ranged movesets that can work, and Sakurai has a whole team for that, so whatever happens, we'll be in good hands.

If I were to think up of a more "realistic" moveset, I would like to see him get long ranged specials with secondary immobilization/stunning/hexing effects, long/mid ranged smashes and mid ranged/melee tilts/airs. The main reason why I would be against giving Mewtwo more physical attacks is because he's not a physical fighter, unlike Lucario or Greninja, nor should he be.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
mmm... yes :/

I did never read the manga, so in my mind I can't see Mewtwo using it, I'm sorry :/
That's fair. I personally find it comical which would be fitting for Smash despite me wanting Mewtwo to be all serious and dark.. it wouldn't be an unwelcomed addition, but I can live with or without it.

Spirst

I will admit though that a taunt with him folding his arms, closing his eyes, head down, and having spoons float around him would be awesome.

Last edited:

Supalji

Smash Rookie
Its so great to watch how far you guys have came! I've been stalking this thread sense April getting excited & disappointed & excited again It's been week now & I have still been celebrating our wish has been granted :D

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
In all seriousness.

A spoon is a weapon, a spoon signifies psychic power, a spoon is a spoon.

Mewtwo having a wield-able weapon would be great. And the creativity behind the spoon doesn't have to just be impaling, thrusting, swinging, & sword-play motions with it. Mewtwo could channel Darkness-based attacks at the end of spoon(?)

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
In all seriousness.

Mewtwo having a wield-able weapon would be great. And the creativity behind the spoon doesn't have to just be impaling, thrusting, swinging, & sword-play motions with it. Mewtwo could channel Darkness-based attacks at the end of spoon(?)
Agreed. But the gigantic size of the spoon makes it a bit comical. Sakurai can definitely make it badass if he wanted to.. how awesome would that be? I do like the iconography of the spoon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Before i begin, i edited my initial post, i meant Mewtwo shouldn't be Villager and Megaman 2.0 :4darkpit:

I agree with you that not all of Mewtwo's attacks should be psychic. I'd like some physical attacks. Really, I think a buffed up Melee moveset is all he needs before he's ready to rock and roll. I'm a fan of his tail attacks, and his smash attacks, especially his D-Smash, are awesome; they just need a damage buff. However, I don't think anybody on this thread was suggesting we remove every single physical attack. I mean, just because all of Special Attacks are psychic or projectiles, save for ones that involve his awesome Spoon, doesn't mean we thought all physical attacks needed to be removed.
Also, I 100% agree with you: Using a character with a few projectiles and comboing is a lot of fun!
Agreed. And tbh, the spoon can bring alot of interesting things to the table... but that might be a tad... strange

Well I do think that he's going to be a mix of physical and ranged attacks, but I have no problem with long ranged characters. And there's a fine line between combos and spamming. If you do the same combo over and over again, wouldn't that be similar to spamming overall? For the most part I would find it interesting if Mewtwo was mainly ranged because there are barely any characters who do that. The closest I can think of would be Duck Hunt and I enjoy his playstyle, you can definitely combo with his specials if you know what you're doing. It all depends on the mechanics of his powers.

Right now there are way too many archetypal melee characters, including Little Mac and everyone with a sword, and so far there isn't a character who's forte is in ranged attacks, so I wouldn't mind Mewtwo being that. It would definitely make him a special character and harder to use in the same vein as Shulk, Robin, Rosalina, etc.

With that said, I can see them doing it in so many ways. One off the top of my head would be to give Mewtwo mostly ranged attacks with a long range instant teleport so that he can play keepaway - the antithesis of Little Mac where he'd be more powerful at a certain distance instead of up close BUT also have some powerful distance-making smashes/tilts. They would give him melee attacks but those would also be ranged melee attacks similar to Lucario's Force Palm or ZSS's whip which would put your opponents at a distance while damaging them. They can give him mid-ranged and long-raanged attacks that can be strung together in a combo. They introduced the "vacuum" mechanic in the game - what if Mewtwo had a powerful black hole-type vacuum attack (anyone play Kat in Playstation All Stars?) or a long ranged grab so that when he used a ranged attack he can just draw them back in before they start flying off and as soon as they start flying back towards you, hit them with a powerful side smash or start a combo?

Again, I don't think he'll be purely ranged, but if he is (which I'd be content with because it would make him unique) there's no reason why they can't give him a fighting mechanic where his ranged attacks can combo. Sakurai can do pretty much what he wants as long as Mewtwo doesn't become OP, but even within those limits, the possibilities are endless (figuratively speaking.) I alone can imagine several ranged movesets that can work, and Sakurai has a whole team for that, so whatever happens, we'll be in good hands.

If I were to think up of a more "realistic" moveset, I would like to see him get long ranged specials with secondary immobilization/stunning/hexing effects, long/mid ranged smashes and mid ranged/melee tilts/airs. The main reason why I would be against giving Mewtwo more physical attacks is because he's not a physical fighter, unlike Lucario or Greninja, nor should he be.
Thank you for the reply, and thank you more for not getting angry at me because of my thoughts.

I have a few thoughts of my own if you don't mind.

1."With that said, I can see them doing it in so many ways. One off the top of my head would be to give Mewtwo mostly ranged attacks with a long range instant teleport so that he can play keepaway"

I really care for Mewtwo... and i just don't want him to become a gimmicky character like Villager and Megaman, shooting projectiles across the perimeter with a bunch of random, weird, and uninspired moves.

"the antithesis of Little Mac where he'd be more powerful at a certain distance instead of up close BUT also have some powerful distance-making smashes/tilts. They would give him melee attacks but those would also be ranged melee attacks similar to Lucario's Force Palm or ZSS's whip which would put your opponents at a distance while damaging them. They can give him mid-ranged and long-raanged attacks that can be strung together in a combo. They introduced the "vacuum" mechanic in the game - what if Mewtwo had a powerful black hole-type vacuum attack (anyone play Kat in Playstation All Stars?) or a long ranged grab so that when he used a ranged attack he can just draw them back in before they start flying off and as soon as they start flying back towards you, hit them with a powerful side smash or start a combo?

Again, I don't think he'll be purely ranged, but if he is (which I'd be content with because it would make him unique)"

So Mewtwo is a keepaway character now? So we went from being a quote "Lucario and Greninja" clone, to a Rosalina and Luma clone?...
wait..

Having projectiles for every attack isn't unique. Again, Rosalina and Luma are similar to this. Also, i personally don't think Mewtwo shouldn't have all physical moves, and think that he needs more psychic moves myself and that his special moves should remain psychic-based, but it's satisfying to hit with physical moves, it feels good to be connected to your attack as it lands, with psychic moves, you are taking this away, and as a result Mewtwo becomes boring to play and lacks depth. At least Little Mac is brave enough to actually hit you for those insta-KOs (at certain percents).

3."If I were to think up of a more "realistic" moveset, I would like to see him get long ranged specials with secondary immobilization/stunning/hexing effects, long/mid ranged smashes and mid ranged/melee tilts/airs. The main reason why I would be against giving Mewtwo more physical attacks is because he's not a physical fighter, unlike Lucario or Greninja, nor should he be."

Is this Mewtwo or Dr.Eggman we are talking about?

Anyways...

what's up with people's obsession for a psychic-based Mewtwo? i don't mind it in all... again for those who might be mad at me now... I DON'T MIND IT IN ALL... heck, i can even see where you are coming from, but come on guys.

A bunch of you guys also contradict yourself by saying that you liked Melee-Mewtwo despite his flaws and that you loved PM Mewtwo and were talking about how good confusion and teleport are and how good his tail attacks and dair have become, saying before the 50-fact extravaganza (FFE) that you would do practically anything to have Mewtwo back "so long as the buff his melee moveset", yet the moment Mewtwo Returns (lol) to the tide of battle these same people jump out of nowhere and say "okay, Mewtwo is back... GIVE HIM ALL PSYCHIC ATTACKZ" (sorry 4 the capitols) and here we are now.

Tell me, what do you guys have against Mewtwo's tail? i am not saying give him punches and kicks, that's not what i meant by physical (but keep his dair sweep-kick and buff it up), i mean like keep his melee moveset and buff that (physical tilts, aerials excluding nair) with the rest being psychic moves (smash-attacks, nair, grab, pummel, throw, specials, heck, they can even change d-throw for what its worth), but there's a difference between that, and a gimmicky projectile character you use because you can't beat that Little Mac in For Glory (not directed at anyone in particular)

And also, i never said Mewtwo should be a physical fighter, i think that he should be mostly a psychic fighter tbh. But i personally just don't think that this should occur at the expense of Mewtwo's already existent physical moves.

Maybe perhaps you can angle all of Mewtwo's tilts for long-ranged high knockback low damage moves?

Also, sorry if i came off as rude, condescending, or a hypocrite.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

I'll start with mine.

Give me opinions on my thoughts and post your own ideas guys. ^.^
Here goes.
Weight-5/10-Agreed. He should be about Mario's weight (average). Teleport would give him ridiculous longevity if he was heavier, and he'd be to short-lived it his weight was lower.
Height-7.5-Also agreed. Mewtwo's always been a taller character, and this game should be no exception. It offers both advantages and disadvantages, and I'm totally fine with those offered.
Walking Speed-2/5-I don't agree with 4/5. I feel as though he doesn't need to be fast to be viable, nor does it suit his character in Smash. I understand he's fast in the Pokemon games, and I love that, but I don't think it will translate well into Smash.
Running Speed-6/5-I basically agree with you. He most certainly needs a speed buff. It might just be me, but I think 7/5 is a little too high. That puts him a little too high up, in my opinion. But, maybe I'm just overestimating the character's in-game speed. Anywho, point is, I basically agree with you.
Air Potential-8.5/10-Agreed. He was amazing in the air in Melee, and if he's buffed anything like he was in Project M, this is something that would be incredibly useful.
Overall Knockback Potential-9/10-Also agreed. Mewtwo's Smashes are almost guaranteed a buff, considering their weakness in Melee, and, of course, his U-Throw (Haha!) is extremely powerful, and that should be retained.
Overall Damage-Racking Potential-8/10-Agreed. His tail combos were awesome, and I see no need for change. This is further supported by his air-game, which was great in Melee, and might get better in Smash 4.
Grab Game-11/10-Every character has a strong suit, and Mewtwo's happens to be his Grab Game. With pummeling being sped up as much as it is, his Grab Game can only benefit from this. Granted, there was a "Grab Buffer" of some sort that prevents Chain Grabs, which is a shame, but I digress. His D-Throw is a great combo starter, and his B-Throw was always extremely powerful, with the only B-Throw rivaling it being Ness's. His F-Throw was the only one that was sub-par, but I expect a buff in it. Namely, make it deal a good amount if damage, rather then having it depend on whether or not they are struck by the mini Shadow Balls. Take notes from Project M's Gravity F-Throw, if absolutely necessary. Mewtwo's Grab Game was great, and I see no reason for it not to get better. Finally, let's not forget his U-Throw. That thing was powerful, and I see no need for change.
Range-9/10-Agreed. His tail attacks and Shadow Ball, in particular, justify this. They had great range, and Shadow Ball's damage was excellent, improving his Range. His aerial tail attacks were fabulous, and I see no cause for change.
Uniqueness-12/10-Mewtwo is incredibly unique. He fits into no particular character archetype. A tall character with medium weight and good air-game? A powerful character with long range? What? That's Mewtwo for ya. It's all part of his charm, and it's once of the many reasons I love him!
Seems like we share a pretty similar view on Mewtwo!
In all seriousness.

I has a great idea. If Mewtwo's Spoon doesn't make it into his moveset, what if were an Item? For example, Mario picks it up, and now, when he attacks with it, he uses psychic energy. It generates an extremely strong push effect, making it an effective gimping Item. The push, obviously, would increase with charge. In addition, on full charges, it does, say, 10% damage, but no knockback, and does even more pushing. Just a thought.
Before i begin, i edited my initial post, i meant Mewtwo shouldn't be Villager and Megaman 2.0 :4darkpit:

Agreed. And tbh, the spoon can bring alot of interesting things to the table... but that might be a tad... strange

Thank you for the reply, and thank you more for not getting angry at me because of my thoughts.

1."With that said, I can see them doing it in so many ways. One off the top of my head would be to give Mewtwo mostly ranged attacks with a long range instant teleport so that he can play keepaway"

I really care for Mewtwo... and i just don't want him to become a gimmicky character like Villager and Megaman, shooting projectiles across the perimeter with a bunch of random, weird, and uninspired moves.

"the antithesis of Little Mac where he'd be more powerful at a certain distance instead of up close BUT also have some powerful distance-making smashes/tilts. They would give him melee attacks but those would also be ranged melee attacks similar to Lucario's Force Palm or ZSS's whip which would put your opponents at a distance while damaging them. They can give him mid-ranged and long-raanged attacks that can be strung together in a combo. They introduced the "vacuum" mechanic in the game - what if Mewtwo had a powerful black hole-type vacuum attack (anyone play Kat in Playstation All Stars?) or a long ranged grab so that when he used a ranged attack he can just draw them back in before they start flying off and as soon as they start flying back towards you, hit them with a powerful side smash or start a combo?

Again, I don't think he'll be purely ranged, but if he is (which I'd be content with because it would make him unique)"

So Mewtwo is a keepaway character now? So we went from being a quote "Lucario and Greninja" clone, to a Rosalina and Luma clone?...
wait..

Having projectiles for every attack isn't unique. Again, Rosalina and Luma are similar to this. Also, i personally don't think Mewtwo shouldn't have all physical moves, and think that he needs more psychic moves myself and that his special moves should remain psychic-based, but it's satisfying to hit with physical moves, it feels good to be connected to your attack as it lands, with psychic moves, you are taking this away, and as a result Mewtwo becomes boring to play and lacks depth. At least Little Mac is brave enough to actually hit you for those insta-KOs (at certain percents).

3."If I were to think up of a more "realistic" moveset, I would like to see him get long ranged specials with secondary immobilization/stunning/hexing effects, long/mid ranged smashes and mid ranged/melee tilts/airs. The main reason why I would be against giving Mewtwo more physical attacks is because he's not a physical fighter, unlike Lucario or Greninja, nor should he be."

Anyways...

what's up with people's obsession for a psychic-based Mewtwo? i don't mind it in all... again for those who might be mad at me now... I DON'T MIND IT IN ALL... heck, i can even see where you are coming from, but come on guys.

A bunch of you guys also contradict yourself by saying that you liked Melee-Mewtwo despite his flaws and that you loved PM Mewtwo and were talking about how good confusion and teleport are and how good his tail attacks and dair have become, saying before the 50-fact extravaganza (FFE) that you would do practically anything to have Mewtwo back "so long as the buff his melee moveset", yet the moment Mewtwo Returns (lol) to the tide of battle these same people jump out of nowhere and say "okay, Mewtwo is back... GIVE HIM ALL PSYCHIC ATTACKZ" (sorry 4 the capitols) and here we are now.

Tell me, what do you guys have against Mewtwo's tail? i am not saying give him punches and kicks, that's not what i meant by physical (but keep his dair sweep-kick and buff it up), i mean like keep his melee moveset and buff that (physical tilts, aerials excluding nair) with the rest being psychic moves (smash-attacks, nair, grab, pummel, throw, specials, heck, they can even change d-throw for what its worth), but there's a difference between that, and a gimmicky projectile character you use because you can't beat that Little Mac in For Glory (not directed at anyone in particular)

And also, i never said Mewtwo should be a physical fighter, i think that he should be mostly a psychic fighter tbh. But i personally just don't think that this should occur at the expense of Mewtwo's already existent physical moves.

Maybe perhaps you can angle all of Mewtwo's tilts for long-ranged high knockback low damage moves?

I've nothing against his tail attacks. I actually think they're pretty cool, if maybe a little too omnipresent. I've no problem with replacing a few physical attacks with psychic ones, so long as we don't go overboard. Especially, do not remove his F-Air, or any of his Smash Attacks. And, don't remove his D-Air. It's a pretty effective meteor smash, and the way he flips before kicking it is epic. If it absolutely must be replaced, I'd want them to try to keep the flipping in some way, and make sure it remains a meteor smash.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I has a great idea. If Mewtwo's Spoon doesn't make it into his moveset, what if were an Item? For example, Mario picks it up, and now, when he attacks with it, he uses psychic energy. It generates an extremely strong push effect, making it an effective gimping Item. The push, obviously, would increase with charge. In addition, on full charges, it does, say, 10% damage, but no knockback, and does even more pushing. Just a thought.
I dig the thought, I actually would like that.

It pains me that they can't expand more on Pokemon in Smash Bros. with items other than just Pokeballs. Granted there are very many pokemon, but it's not always about the Pocket Monsters. What about held items, what about the pokedex, what about Key Items doing something?

There's so much Item potential for Pokemon from the games this Spoon idea would be worth it.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

That's a personal preference I think. I don't see anything wrong with their projectiles. It's starting to sound like you're saying "if they can't combo with physical moves, they're gimmicky."

wait..

"Keep-away character" might not have been the best term, as it sounds like he needs to run away. I'm not saying they would be clones, especially not of Rosalina, I'm saying there's no reason why they can't think outside of the box and have ranged attacks that can combo.

Anyways...

I don't think anyone's saying "GIVE HIM ALL PSYCHIC ATTACKZ", you're exaggerating a bit there my friend. People are merely speculating on what his new moveset will be. His Melee model can't be imported, so if they were going to put Mewtwo back in, why not give him a new moveset, seeing as his old one would be obsolete in Smash 4. I think where we disagree is I see the potential of what they can give Mewtwo and you don't. The long ranged attacks I'm thinking of will not be anything similar to the Villager or Mega Man.

By long/mid ranged attacks, I'm referring to things like stunning/immobilizing/hexing from a distance (leaving enemies open to a teleport and smash or another long/mid ranged attack), being able to use psychic energy to draw enemies in FAST (either as a grab or like Rosalina's deflection), a Thoron-like blast, Dark Samus' rapid shot (potential side smash), long distance teleporting, timed psychic blasts (Future Sight potentially), psychic spikes that come out of the ground and impale the enemy and a mid ranged psychic/dark aura shock (like Master Beast), a long/mid ranged pillar of psychic energy similar to Palutena, etc.

As I mentioned, there's NO REASON why long/mid ranged attacks can't be made so it can combo.

Different Mewtwo enthusiasts see Mewtwo in different ways. Some, like I do, see him as the all-powerful character in movie one. Some see him as Melee Mewtwo. Some see him as Origins Mewtwo who's much closer to what you're referring to as far as a "combo" character. For me, I don't see movie one Mewtwo getting all that physical with his opponents, especially not by using his tail a lot, but that's just me. I care about Mewtwo as well, and I would rather see him play uniquely than be another brawler just so he can be easy to play for everyone and compete in the tournaments. I like to be outside the box, that's why I love Robin, Shulk, Pikmin, Rosalina, etc.

I get where you're coming from, and in my opinion I think we'll get a Mewtwo who has a good balance of both, but I personally like the idea of a somewhat slow yet heavy character who doesn't give a f*** because he knows he can just blow s*** up if he wanted to, and if someone's getting too close or about to do a quick attack on him, he either teleports out followed by an attack or he just raises one hand and sends the enemies flying. That's the Mewtwo I want, and I'm sure not everyone would agree with that.

And for the record, I have no problem dealing with Little Macs on For Glory. I'm maining Lucario in the mean time and have no issues beating him. My problem is he's cheap, requires barely any skill (compared to say, a good Shulk, Duck Hunt, Rosalina), anyone can pick him up and they're instantly good. I don't want that for Mewtwo. Actually I want Mewtwo to be as complicated as Shulk to play, though nothing like the Monado Arts, just the concept of a character you have to get used to because they have special abilities is great.

I don't see a reason why Mewtwo can't be a buffed version of his Melee self, with psychic blades and spoons and short-ranged psychic blasts for physical attacks.. but when it comes down to it, if I had psychic powers, I would not be lifting a hand to fight. I would just stand there and demolish everyone with a single stare. And that's how I'd like to see Mewtwo (not literally but you get the gist.)

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

wait..

Anyways...

Very well said. I, for one, would like to see a moveset very much like his Melee/Project M version: Psychically-enhanced-but-still-physical in nature. His jab is a perfect example.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
How about he uses it like an actual spoon, thrusting it low to the ground beneath a foe's feet and scooping them upwards. It would make a nice down tilt.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The one move I would love them to keep is Shadow Claw. It's always satisfying to hit with that Fair despite its range.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The one move I would love them to keep is Shadow Claw. It's always satisfying to hit with that Fair despite its range.
I love his rapid jab.. that dark flame was awesome! I hope it comes back and Sakurai doesn't just use the same Greninja/Robin rapid jab animation just in purple/pink (in that it's Psycho Cut now.) I'd like to see a bigger flame this time around though! In height that is.

Last edited:

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I love his rapid jab.. that dark flame was awesome! I hope it comes back and Sakurai doesn't just use the same Greninja/Robin rapid jab animation just in purple/pink (in that it's Psycho Cut now.) I'd like to see a bigger flame this time around though! In height that is.
While his jab looked cool, I just found it to get in the way a lot, at least in Melee, mainly because if you started it, it would stay there for at least 2 seconds. Not to mention, it had a tiny hitbox.
I hope in Smash 4, they make it cancellable or end with a large hit.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
While his jab looked cool, I just found it to get in the way a lot, at least in Melee, mainly because if you started it, it would stay there for at least 2 seconds. Not to mention, it had a tiny hitbox.
I hope in Smash 4, they make it cancellable or end with a large hit.
Hopefully, they'll make it like more like Project M's. It was exactly like Melee's, but its minimum hit number is 3. I believe the hitbox may also be larger, but I'd need verification for that.
Also, seeing as jabs are no longer infinite, I should think his revamped jab would be like Fox's: The series of rapid Darkness strikes, concluding in an extra powerful Darkness finisher.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If you ask me, PM inspiration is plausible but unlikely.

I think that Sakurai acknowledges PM's existence, but is probably deviating from it as much as possible. Wouldn't want to copy off of a fan mod, after all.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
There is really no way to see how Mewtwo will play because there is a very long period until we even SEE his in game model (notjusttherender)

Until then we ain't got anything to work with.

Spirst

There is really no way to see how Mewtwo will play because there is a very long period until we even SEE his in game model (notjusttherender)

Until then we ain't got anything to work with.
As much as I hate to say it, this is true and unfortunately, we all have to wait. Still plenty of room for baseless speculation however!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
As much as I hate to say it, this is true and unfortunately, we all have to wait. Still plenty of room for baseless speculation however!
That's part of why it's great to be a Mewtwo fan right now! We have absolutely nothing to build from, so therefore we can make up our own assumptions on what we'd like to see with Mewtwo, and it's all acceptable! It's good to just let the imagination run wild, especially with your favorite character!

Now, to pose a question that might spark some discussion. Why do you think Mewtwo crossed his arms so much in Melee. I mean, we're talking his taunt, idle pose, a victory pose, his helpless animation, his ledge-wobble pose, and his sleeping position. Was there some inspiration behind it all, or did they just do it to make Mewtwo look more awesome? I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see the arm crossing carried into SSB4. It'd be really cool if he was crossing his arms in his official art. I'd love that!

Last edited:

Spirst

That's part if why it's great to be a Mewtwo fan right now! We have absolutely nothing to build from, so therefore we can make up our own assumptions on what we'd like to see with Mewtwo, and it's all acceptable! It's good to just let the imagination run wild, especially with your favorite character!

Now, to pose a question that might spark some discussion. Why do you think Mewtwo crossed his arms so much in Melee. I mean, we're talking his taunt, idle pose, a victory pose, his helpless animation, his ledge-wobble pose, and his sleeping position. Was there some inspiration behind it all, or did they just do it to make Mewtwo look more awesome? I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see the arm crossing carried into SSB4. It'd be really cool if he was crossing his arms in his official art. I'd love that!
I've been loving a lot of the creativity I've seen on this board for things like discussion of his customs or moveset and so forth. Speculation really is a lot of fun.

His arms being crossed so much gives an air of effortlessness. Mewtwo, at the time, was THE legendary Pokemon. His personality is that of a fighter, but he doesn't seem to care much for those who he perceives to be obviously weaker than him. I remember, in the first movie, when Ash run at him, Mewtwo deflected him as if nothing without so much as batting an eye. The arm crossing exemplifies his sense of defiance as well as his perception of everyone being inferior in strength that he doesn't even need to exert much effort. At least, that's what makes sense to me. Also, in the movie, when Mewtwo is in the giant tube, I believe his arms are folded. I imagine his animations in Melee were also a reference to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom