• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I've been loving a lot of the creativity I've seen on this board for things like discussion of his customs or moveset and so forth. Speculation really is a lot of fun.

His arms being crossed so much gives an air of effortlessness. Mewtwo, at the time, was THE legendary Pokemon. His personality is that of a fighter, but he doesn't seem to care much for those who he perceives to be obviously weaker than him. I remember, in the first movie, when Ash run at him, Mewtwo deflected him as if nothing without so much as batting an eye. The arm crossing exemplifies his sense of defiance as well as his perception of everyone being inferior in strength that he doesn't even need to exert much effort. At least, that's what makes sense to me. Also, in the movie, when Mewtwo is in the giant tube, I believe his arms are folded. I imagine his animations in Melee were also a reference to that.
Well....in all honesty, I believe only Ness, Rosalina, and Kirby come close to/can match his power.
...ok, Super Sonic too... but not regular Sonic.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
If Mewtwo gets a trailer, that means he will also get a poster when his page is added to the main site.

And if he gets a poster, would you buy an official print of it?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There is really no way to see how Mewtwo will play because there is a very long period until we even SEE his in game model (notjusttherender)

Until then we ain't got anything to work with.
Sad but true

We will not see if he retains is melee moveset but buffed and more importantly heavier till 2015 winter (when we will probably see gameplay.)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If Mewtwo gets a trailer, that means he will also get a poster when his page is added to the main site.

If we do get one, I hope it shows several playable characters, heroes and villains, standing in fighting position, so that we get a back view of them. Then, Mewtwo would be standing a little distance off, his eyes glowing blue and his arms crossed. This would make it resemble the view you get when fighting in a Pokemon battle. I think that would be pretty cool, personally.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I've been loving a lot of the creativity I've seen on this board for things like discussion of his customs or moveset and so forth. Speculation really is a lot of fun.

His arms being crossed so much gives an air of effortlessness. Mewtwo, at the time, was THE legendary Pokemon. His personality is that of a fighter, but he doesn't seem to care much for those who he perceives to be obviously weaker than him. I remember, in the first movie, when Ash run at him, Mewtwo deflected him as if nothing without so much as batting an eye. The arm crossing exemplifies his sense of defiance as well as his perception of everyone being inferior in strength that he doesn't even need to exert much effort. At least, that's what makes sense to me. Also, in the movie, when Mewtwo is in the giant tube, I believe his arms are folded. I imagine his animations in Melee were also a reference to that.
I agree, the thing I absolutely love about Mewtwo is how little investment he seems to have in the fights. Even in Melee he didn't really seem to care that much, almost as if he were being overconfident. It's sort of the reason I don't want his moveset to change all that much, because of how he ISN'T using those psychic powers that much. It's sort of like somebody armed to the teeth choosing to attack you by punching and kicking; they know they don't need the weapons so they don't waste them.

The way Mewtwo chooses to mostly attack with his tail is sort of his way of doing that, because really if he wanted to he could use his powers all the time in the fights, but he doesn't. When he does use his powers, they look super awesome, but that's because you only see them once in a while and not all the time, and it makes landing these moves all the more satisfying. When he DOES land Disable and then goes for a Forward Smash or something it's really cool because of the way he does it and how rarely it occurs. If he were to use his powers super seriously in all his moves he would lose his Melee personality, and it would turn him from overconfident and disinterested to just a bit of a tryhard and a jerk. Not that he couldn't use his powers a lot and still look as if he doesn't care, it's just if they did decide he should, they would probably go all out explosion flashes and we'd be left with a completely different character in both moveset and personality.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I wonder, if he does get a trailer and/or poster, like stated above, what would it look like (other than epic) and what pose he'll take in his official render. For a trailer, I'd assume they'd go with a trailer like Sonic's, maybe Pac-Man's, because I honestly don't think they'd make a full HD cutscene for DLC characters, especially considering that Mewtwo is a veteran, but who knows. For a poster, it'd have to end up relating to the trailer, but Mewtwo is a veteran (like I said above), not a newcomer, so him getting a poster like all the newcomers wouldn't seem to make sense in my eyes. As for his pose, I could see a few things:

1. His artwork pose from Melee/trademark pose that he always has:
mewtwo.PNG

2. His selection pose from Melee:
MewtwoColors.png

3. This pose from Origins (fanart):
mewtwo_v_4_by_xous54-d4duqk6.png

4. Just his regular standing pose that he has now.

Now even thought this is slightly off topic, I thought of the possibility of getting a ORAS rep for DLC at some point, but I highly doubt it (7 Pokemon). The only 2 that came to my mind are:
1. Sceptile: Grass type starter with a mega evolution, but other than that, that's all it really has for it.
2. Deoxys: Yes, already a pokeball, but way back when I did a video way back last year speculating it's moveset. I came down to the idea of giving it a mix of the Pokemon Trainer's swapping pokemon (but with it's different forms) with Shulk's buffs and debuffs (which again, was last year). It could've also been another legendary rep like Mewtwo and represent event Pokemon...but that one's out of commission now.

PS: If this double posts, I apologize, I am attempting to post after the nightly backup, it doesn't look like it sent when I attempted BEFORE that, so let's just see how this goes I guess.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm willing to believe that other characters are being worked parallel to Mewtwo, so I do think we could get a trailer for all of them.

Duh.

MathewRYF

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathewRYF
I'm dead-set on there being more than just Mewtwo, but we won't know who until at least January...unless that theory I posted in the Duck Hunt thread is true.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Deleted this post for being mostly trivial, and for the fact that it was directed at a conversation that ended one page ago. My apologies.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Imagine this is Mewtwo...

Great pics! Who doesn't love almost-Mewtwo beating the crud out of Lucario?

Seriously, though, before Mewtwo was revealed, it was this palette swap, along with Charizard's and Greninja's purple palette swap, that upset me. It seemed like Sakurai was trying to "make up" for Mewtwo's exclusion by giving us Mewtwo themed palette swaps. Normally, Mewtwo themed palette swaps are awesome, but given the circumstances, I was not a happy camper. However, now that Mewtwo's been revealed, all is right with the world, and I've no problem with these. They're actually pretty cool looking.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Off-Topic but! The SSB FB page states that SSB Wiiu will release on November 28th instead of in December in Europe!!! This includes the Bundle with the GC adapter!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I wonder, if he does get a trailer and/or poster, like stated above, what would it look like (other than epic) and what pose he'll take in his official render. For a trailer, I'd assume they'd go with a trailer like Sonic's, maybe Pac-Man's, because I honestly don't think they'd make a full HD cutscene for DLC characters, especially considering that Mewtwo is a veteran, but who knows. For a poster, it'd have to end up relating to the trailer, but Mewtwo is a veteran (like I said above), not a newcomer, so him getting a poster like all the newcomers wouldn't seem to make sense in my eyes. As for his pose, I could see a few things:

1. His artwork pose from Melee/trademark pose that he always has:
View attachment 28697
2. His selection pose from Melee:
View attachment 28698
3. This pose from Origins (fanart):
View attachment 28699
4. Just his regular standing pose that he has now.

Now even thought this is slightly off topic, I thought of the possibility of getting a ORAS rep for DLC at some point, but I highly doubt it (7 Pokemon). The only 2 that came to my mind are:
1. Sceptile: Grass type starter with a mega evolution, but other than that, that's all it really has for it.
2. Deoxys: Yes, already a pokeball, but way back when I did a video way back last year speculating it's moveset. I came down to the idea of giving it a mix of the Pokemon Trainer's swapping pokemon (but with it's different forms) with Shulk's buffs and debuffs (which again, was last year). It could've also been another legendary rep like Mewtwo and represent event Pokemon...but that one's out of commission now.

PS: If this double posts, I apologize, I am attempting to post after the nightly backup, it doesn't look like it sent when I attempted BEFORE that, so let's just see how this goes I guess.
Speaking of mewtwo pose

It might just simply match the mewtwo trophy on the 3ds version.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Speaking of mewtwo pose

It might just simply match the mewtwo trophy on the 3ds version.
Possibly. I hope not, though. It would make him feel like he was based off the trophy. Almost like when they were making him, they looked at the trophy for inspiration. And something about that's just... Off, I guess.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's talk about something interesting: Mewtwo's personality.

Where do you think Mewtwo falls on this spectrum?

http://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Here's a few of his traits, if it helps:

-Vicious
-Ambitious/Self-driven ("I long to demonstrate my power to the world!")
-Actively Questioning ("Who am I and why am I here? I just appeared here. I haven't even been born to this world yet. Who am I?")

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.
A Pokémon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.
A Pokémon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon
Because its battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, it thinks only of defeating its foes.
A vicious psychic Pokémon created by genetic engineering. Its cold, glowing eyes strike fear into its enemy.
These are some of Mewtwo's Pokedex entries from the games. Its quite easy to tell what type of personality Mewtwo has just from reading these (this is in terms of game Mewtwo not the anime ones).

Last edited:

Spirst

-Vicious
-Actively Questioning ("Who am I and why am I here? I just appeared here. I haven't even been born to this world yet. Who am I?")
Oh, wow, MBTI. Haven't paid attention to it in years now. I've consistently tested as INTJ and while it may difficult to assess the character based on what I know (not to mention the fact that MBTI is a vague system), I believe him to be an INTJ as well. He's future-oritented, reserved, introspective, confident, cynical (believes everyone is trying to control him), independent, distrusts authority, perfectionistic, ambitious, rational, and analytical. He even has the whole "INTJ stare" down. I can't imagine him as another personality type. And yes, I've been aware to minimize any of my own potential biases.

These are some of Mewtwo's Pokedex entries from the games. Its quite easy to tell what type of personality Mewtwo has just from reading these (this is in terms of game Mewtwo not the anime ones).
And from this, how would you like to see that manifested in-game? What about Melee did you think wasn't true to his personality that could be rectified in Smash 4?

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
And from this, how would you like to see that manifested in-game? What about Melee did you think wasn't true to his personality that could be rectified in Smash 4?
Melee Mewtwo was very calm and I don't think this matched his viciousness that is described in the Pokedex (I know his personality is based off the movie). While I loved Mewtwo's personality in Melee, I personally prefer the idea of a more savage Mewtwo.

As Mewtwo is seen as the villain of the Pokemon series in Smash Bros, I think that the video game representation of a vicious and savage Mewtwo would suit much better than the anti-hero personality that is displayed in the anime series. To properly show this personality I think scrapping any voice acting (as in words) for Mewtwo would be the best option, leaving feral animal noises instead, much like Pokemon Origins.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh, wow, MBTI. Haven't paid attention to it in years now. I've consistently tested as INTJ and while it may difficult to assess the character based on what I know (not to mention the fact that MBTI is a vague system), I believe him to be an INTJ as well. He's future-oritented, reserved, introspective, confident, cynical (believes everyone is trying to control him), independent, distrusts authority, perfectionistic, ambitious, rational, and analytical. He even has the whole "INTJ stare" down. I can't imagine him as another personality type. And yes, I've been aware to minimize any of my own potential biases.

I agree. Mewtwo closely follows some of the INTJ traits that you listed. I've also frequently and consistently tested for INTJ, so I wanted a second opinion before I tried to claim that Mewtwo shares my personality. :laugh:

Maybe that's why I enjoy the character so much.

VICTORY QUOTE ROUND 2! FIGHT! *dingding*
"...Fool..."

"I will not stop until I am unrivaled!!"

"...Your efforts are in vain..."

Last edited:

Spirst

I agree. Mewtwo closely follows some of the INTJ traits that you listed. I've also frequently and consistently tested for INTJ, so I wanted a second opinion before I tried to claim that Mewtwo shares my personality. :laugh:

Maybe that's why I enjoy the character so much.
I imagine a number of people on internet forums that spur discussion will test as INTJ (or INTP) considering the general reclusiveness of the type. I also tend to have a preference for INTJ-ish characters such as Batman, Mewtwo, Sherlock Holmes (debatable, but I think he is) and the like.

Melee Mewtwo was very calm and I don't think this matched his viciousness that is described in the Pokedex (I know his personality is based off the movie). While I loved Mewtwo's personality in Melee, I personally prefer the idea of a more savage Mewtwo.

As Mewtwo is seen as the villain of the Pokemon series in Smash Bros, I think that the video game representation of a vicious and savage Mewtwo would suit much better than the anti-hero personality that is displayed in the anime series. To properly show this personality I think scrapping any voice acting (as in words) for Mewtwo would be the best option, leaving feral animal noises instead, much like Pokemon Origins.
Hmm, you'll find opposers to this since a number of people actually want verbal voice acting. I agree that his Melee incarnation seemed rather calm in comparison to the Pokedex entries and that it was more reminiscent of the effortless Mewtwo from the movies. If his animations are indeed changed, or even modified, there could be greater intensity in the way he "commits" to his moves. Making him less floaty and slow would also create the perception of him being focused and vicious. I personally like the idea of him having savage-sounding voice clips but I don't want it done in excess like Bowser.

Last edited:

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
On the subject of his personality: do you guys think they'll make Mewtwo the only one who doesn't clap if he loses a match like he did in Melee? I always loved that little feature xD

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm, you'll find opposers to this since a number of people actually want verbal voice acting. I agree that his Melee incarnation seemed rather calm in comparison to the Pokedex entries and that it was more reminiscent of the effortless Mewtwo from the movies. If his animations are indeed changed, or even modified, there could be greater intensity in the way he "commits" to his moves. Making him less floaty and slow would also create the perception of him being focused and vicious. I personally like the idea of him having savage-sounding voice clips but I don't want it done in excess like Bowser.
How would you make Mewtwo sound vicious without making him sound too much like Lucario?

Spirst

How would you make Mewtwo sound vicious without making him sound too much like Lucario?
Different voice actors, for one. Lucario goes over the top in his grunts and yells. Mewtwo can make more use of those "HMPH" clips and if he has any counter-esque moves, he can exclaim, "FOOL!" when it's triggered. If he has any moves that trap the opponent (thinking of Robin's nosferatu here), he can laugh like he did in Melee. In Melee, his sound clips were subdued in volume. Just needs to be raised up a bit and given more tension without going over the end like Lucario.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I understand that Mewtwo is pretty savage, but I can't help but think that there is some wondering in it. It's confused and it wonders why it was created. With usual experiences with Mewtwo they've always tried to be manipulated for their power, as with most Pokemon used by villains in the series. Has Mewtwo ever been created for a GOOD reason that didn't involve power?

That being said, if Mewtwo does get a voice I would like a win quote with it saying "Leave me be." "Or why am I here?" Maybe its trophy description with help this thought process as well.

Mewtwo does not go out and destroy towns. It usually finds solitude in a cave and only fights when it is threatened. Ie: Trainers coming to capture it.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Like the idea, but not the way it was implemented there. That blocking animation would be cool for his shielding one.
Fair enough. I like this Mewtwo because it accurately shows what Mewtwo is like in the games.

The block move barrier would be perfect for a counter in Mewtwo's moveset. Match the move with the same sort of effects that is seen in the video and that would be a really cool move. The only thing I have against a block kind of move is that so many characters have it this time around. I would like Mewtwo to be a bit more unique.

Last edited:

Spirst

On the subject of his personality: do you guys think they'll make Mewtwo the only one who doesn't clap if he loses a match like he did in Melee? I always loved that little feature xD
Hope so. I want his back turned to the camera, arms folded, head slightly held down.

Fair enough. I like this Mewtwo because it accurately shows what Mewtwo is like in the games.

The block move barrier would be perfect for a counter in Mewtwo's moveset. Match the move with the same sort of effects that is seen in the video and that would be a really cool move. The only thing I have against a block kind of move is that so many characters have it this time around. I would like Mewtwo to be a bit more unique.
Block/counter moves are too common this time around, yeah. I wonder if it could be reworked to have another interesting property such as projectile reflection as well. An incoming projectile could be incoming, he does the block move barrier, and launches it back at a faster velocity.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else realize we get to see Mewtwo look salty when it's sent flying and hits the screen? XD

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

-Vicious
Oooh! Cool website. Apparently I'm ENFP. I've certainly got that "Little Spark Of Madness." You should see my serves in volleyball: Actually broke a light just yesterday, unintentionally, of course:rolleyes:.

But, I digress. I agree with Mewtwo being INTJ. He just falls so nicely into it. It's a very fitting personality, and a cool one for a villain, at that.
VICTORY QUOTE ROUND 2! FIGHT! *dingding*
Way ahead of you buddy;).
From page 322:
Taunt 1- Mewtwo folds him arms, rises into the air spinning and laughing, before stopping and floating in place in midair, and says "I cannot lose!"
Taunt 2-"So, this is my power...," followed by a sinister laugh.
Taunt 3-Mewtwo folds his arms, grunts loudly, and his eyes flash a bright blue. Then, the camera flips upside down, so that everything appears upside down. The results are displayed right-side up, however, for readability's sake.
Bonus Taunt (Against Lucario or Greninja)-"You're pathetic."
Losing Animation-Stands with his arms folded and his back to the camera, because he couldn't care less that you won.
Hope so. I want his back turned to the camera, arms folded, head slightly held down.

Block/counter moves are too common this time around, yeah. I wonder if it could be reworked to have another interesting property such as projectile reflection as well. An incoming projectile could be incoming, he does the block move barrier, and launches it back at a faster velocity.
Good to know I'm not the only one! The sheer amount of Counter moves in SSB4 was shocking to me. I'd much rather Mewtwo have a reflector or some sort of special shield, like Barrier as a creative Shadow Ball Custom. At the very least, make his Counter really unique, if he has to have one, like you said.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I understand that Mewtwo is pretty savage, but I can't help but think that there is some wondering in it. It's confused and it wonders why it was created. With usual experiences with Mewtwo they've always tried to be manipulated for their power, as with most Pokemon used by villains in the series. Has Mewtwo ever been created for a GOOD reason that didn't involve power?

That being said, if Mewtwo does get a voice I would like a win quote with it saying "Leave me be." "Or why am I here?" Maybe its trophy description with help this thought process as well.

Mewtwo does not go out and destroy towns. It usually finds solitude in a cave and only fights when it is threatened. Ie: Trainers coming to capture it.
Agreed. While powerful and sometimes vengeful, Mewtwo isn't malicious or a murderer. The "Leave me be." for a victory quote would be perfect.

MathewRYF

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathewRYF
Care to share?
Sure, here it is.
This is a very long-winded theory about the Duck Hunt trailer, so I've marked it in the spoiler section below. Be warned, though: it's wordy.

I have a bit of a theory regarding why we haven't seen the Duck Hunt reveal yet.

Looking back at the POTD teasing the reveal I noticed something:
The image on the screen is showing gameplay! Thinking back to every other trailer, the only time gameplay was shown before a fighter's tagline was Wii Fit Trainer's. This more than likely means Duck Hunt's tagline was already shown. This would also explain why actual gameplay is shown, and why DH's colors aren't subdued. That brings up a question, though: Why not show us the trailer? It may be for a similar reason Bowser Jr.'s wasn't shown, meaning there is something here we haven't seen. Think about this POTD and what Sakurai said. He specifically pointed out the NES Zapper. Since this portion of the trailer is after Duck Hunt's tagline, why would we be shown an NES accessory? Why point it out? Perhaps it's because Duck Hunt isn't the only fighter in the video!
I've heard people joke about the person holding the Zapper being Captain N, but that wouldn't make sense considering 1. Captain N didn't originate from a video game and 2. He never appeared in a video game on a Nintendo console. HOWEVER, there is a fighter that does not fulfill the first rule that is a fighter:
View attachment 28684
R.O.B. here started life as an NES accessory, not in a video game. He also fulfills the second rule because of his appearance in Mario Kart DS a few years before Brawl. It was his strong connection to Nintendo and its history that allowed him to circumvent the first rule, being the Trojan Horse for the NES and whatnot. Why is this relevant? Think back to what Sakurai pointed out in the POTD: the NES Zapper. An NES accessory, and a fondly remembered one at that. This means that whomever is holding that Zapper has strong ties to Nintendo and its history. This also means that character has to have been in a game on a Nintendo console at some point, and they would have to be notable for their connections to Nintendo. Believe it or not, there is a character that fits the bill, and they can loophole their way through rule 1 in the same way R.O.B. can. He plays with power like no other fighter has. You might even say he's playing with NINTENDO POWER!

Believe it or not, Nester fits the bill. He had a game on the Virtual Boy, and he is THE Nintendo fan, fictional or not. Plus, he would represent Nintendo Power, the most well know source of Nintendo game info before the advent of the Internet, and even up until it bit the dust. He's in the same boat as R.O.B. in that he carries a lot of weight with Nintendo, so perhaps he has finally gotten his shot to smash with his favorite all-stars!
Remember, this is just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

I'm dead-set on there being more than just Mewtwo, but we won't know who until at least January...unless that theory I posted in the Duck Hunt thread is true.
My dream would be a Pokemon DLC pack that included Mewtwo, Ivysaur and Squirtle as returning fighters.

I did say it was a dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom