• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo was planned for Smash 64. Neither Roy or Dr. Mario were. They weren't initially planned for Melee either; they were added at the last minute as cloned characters to boost the Roster.

Mewtwo has an original moveset; Roy and Dr. Mario are clones.

Mewtwo was higher priority to them in Brawl.

That's only three of the many examples of what puts Mewtwo above them.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be interesting if they made mewtwo a more counteractive type character. It would really suite him too as he plays and feels quite different being so floaty. They should give him a counter. Maybe a move that teleports him and attacks a area in front. I remember I downloaded shadow a while back and he had his down smash so that he would teleport up and drop kick in front of where he was standing, a move like that would really suit mewtwo maybe not the drop kick bit but the teleporting and unpredictable nature of it.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Start Confusion Psychic Special 50 100% 25
Start Disable Normal Status — 100% 20
Start Barrier Psychic Status — —% 30
8 Swift Normal Special 60 —% 20
15 Future Sight Psychic Special 100 100% 10
22 Psych Up Normal Status — —% 10
29 Miracle Eye Psychic Status — —% 40
36 Mist Ice Status — —% 30
43 Psycho Cut Psychic Physical 70 100% 20
50 Amnesia Psychic Status — —% 20
57 Power Swap Psychic Status — —% 10
57 Guard Swap Psychic Status — —% 10
64 Psychic Psychic Special 90 100% 10
71 Me First Normal Status — —% 20
79 Recover Normal Status — —% 10
86 Safeguard Normal Status — —% 25
93 Aura Sphere Fighting Special 90 —% 20
100 Psystrike Psychic Special 100 100% 10

I don't know about you, but I can't see counter or mirror coat.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo can get Counter as a tutored move in the FireRed and LeafGreen titles. Apart from that though, it does not get any counter-based moves.

splat

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is used as a special sweeper in the Pokémon metagame. His special attack is the highest out of the Pokémon that are not in a specific form, only beaten by Attack Deoxys and White Kyurem.

Because of it, I'd say Mewtwo should be made as an offensive beast and stay far away from counterattacks.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Funnily enough I don't run into many Mewtwo's in the Pokemon metagame!
But yeah, A counter just would not suit Mewtwo, not to mention he can only learn it in one game via tutoring!

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo needs to have Akuma aggression and power, since both have similar mindsets.

And it would also suit Mewtwo's Melee weight (but please make it a bit heavier....) to make him a Glass Cannon.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo is used as a special sweeper in the Pokémon metagame. His special attack is the highest out of the Pokémon that are not in a specific form, only beaten by Attack Deoxys and White Kyurem.

Because of it, I'd say Mewtwo should be made as an offensive beast and stay far away from counterattacks.
More like one of the deadliest Mixed Sweepers to hit the scene thanks to his signature move, Psystrike. But yeah, the fact remains, he's powerful.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Yes, do this please. I'm curious about it now since it was brought up.

And Mewtwo's d-air was fine to me, but I have no problems with his down and side specials being strengthened, slightly altered, or otherwise changed.
I'd love too! But um, this is embarassing... How do you copy something to your clip board and then log back in to paste it?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Right-click then copy (or CTRL and C as a shortcut after highlighting), then right-click again and paste (or CTRL+V).

Did I really just answer that for someone? That's almost like not knowing how to make a post. >.>

And yeah. Aside from Psystrike, I think the last time I actually used Mewtwo as a mixed sweeper was during the 2nd gen before there were things like natures that made it kinda harder to have a competitively good one.

TheMewtwoMaster

Smash Rookie
Hey, would Ice beam help any? I mean, with slight knockback and freezing the opponent?
There's also blizzard.... possible Final Smash? (VERY Unlikely)

:mewtwo: for SSB4!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Heh, I remember the boss Mewtwo on the first Pokemon Stadium having Blizzard (on round 1 at least). Funny how much more accurate it was in gen 1. Hell no @ that being a final smash though.

Anyway, cool as it would be, I don't think it's too likely that they would give him many TM moves he can learn or ones quite like Ice Beam in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

I was thinking about Psystrike and how it would look.

By looking at the animation, I could see Mewtwo expelling purple versions of Tabuu's Off Waves, and if they pass through opponents, the opponents are rapidly pelted with little purple sparks of energy and then sent flying (as opposed to the Off Waves simply sending characters flying by touching them; the purple waves themselves don't hurt people).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
What if Mewtwo had a nearly invisible tether grab? Reaching out for opponents feet away and throwing them around like that? It certainly would look like the work of a psychic Pokemon.

I think he is coming back for sure and I look forward to his changes.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know I'm being THAT GUY, but technically the roster would be just fine without any character included. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I know I'm being THAT GUY, but technically the roster would be just fine without any character included. :awesome:
And Capcom proved that the main "star" of a company is not necessary.
So Smash will do just fine without Mario.
But bring back Doc instead. :troll:

D

Deleted member

I lol everytime I see that Final Smash.
Not because it starts off like a copy of Lucario's.

But because he is saying "Why am I here?" as he's doing it. :laugh:
The other phrase which translates to "I cannot lose!" or even the simple "Orokana!" (Foolish!) would have been less lol-worthy.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
obviously an edited Lucario's FS and a bad one at that (in my opinion).

Mewtwo should have something different. his signature move, Psytrike, has him materializing psychic energy, hence, much like the weaker version, Psyshock, it uses Special Attack and the enemy's physical Defense.

my idea for his FS is him charging energy and form purple crystals and shoot them in all directions, accompanied by a shockwave similar to Tabuu's off waves.

oh, and change his side special for Psycho Cut, a weaker projectile shaped like a blade. and his down special could be Barrier and act as a projectile deflector. upon activation, it does the same as his down special from Melee.

add weight to him, and buff some of his attacks and he's ready to go.

RIBBONxPARADISE

Smash Cadet
I'd be cool with Mewtwo coming back. It might be the nostalgia factor that makes me like the idea, but they could've done him more justice in Melee (that's just what i think). I can understand the whole "new game, need at least one of the newer Pokemon as a playable character" thing, and as a consequence he got cut. But he was one of the reasons i got Melee. "Wow, you can play as MEWTWO?! Gotta get this!" Then there's the other side of the debate where you could just say "then go play melee instead". I'm not certain of how the backlash was for him getting cut, but i was kinda disappointed when i found out he wasn't coming back. That's my two cents on the matter, take it as you will.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
^If it's any sort of help, he seems to have only been cut due to time constraints. He'll probably come back. :D

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully his popularity moves him up the priority list a bit this time.

EgyptianSun

Smash Rookie
I kind of wandered into this discussion, and after reading all of the posts I figured I'd put my two cents in (well, more like two bucks really).
Mewtwo was easily one of my favorites from Melee and I was sorely disappointed when he wasn't in Brawl. Nothing says he NEEDS to come back. I feel that only the original eight can't be cut (yes I said eight, I'm not including the secret characters). Personally I hope he does though. But if he does he needs a lot of work.
I'm going to put a disclaimer here: I am NOT trying to offend anyone. Now, I think you guys might be taking the wrong approach in trying to figure out how Mewtwo would work best. Forget about the games he's in. The games aren't entering the fray, the character is. So let's take a look at him as a character. He's a genetically-engineered super-psychic with an attitude. He's super powerful and he knows it. To me that suggests field control. The others might be present, but Mewtwo knows it's His battlefield. This would allow him to feel as near god-tier as possible to someone that knows how to properly use him, while making him something of a glass cannon for everyone else.
Mewtwo's a big boy, so he needs to be a little heavier. But he needs to still be floaty as well. His running speed needs a boost, but his walk speed is fine. It gives him the look of being in control.
Mewtwo's physical attack is likely as good as it is because of psionic enhancement to his attack (his spoon is freakin' MADE of psychic energy!), so I'd avoid putting any real focus on those. Keep his physical strikes and combos more or less the same; perhaps a slight buff. Boost the power of his smash attacks a bit and maybe add Shadow Claw and Psycho Cut in there somewhere to make him a little flashier.
Keep Shadow Ball as his neutral-B, but give it a few tweaks. Keep it the same size as it charges and have him only use one hand, emphasizing how simple such things are for him. The blasts move at about the same speed as the shots from the Light Gun and each bursts with a small blast of psychic energy on impact. The longer the attack is charged the greater its range and the more intense the blast.
Keep Teleport for his up-B and leave it alone. It's range is perfect for warping between platforms mid-combat, making it not only a decent recovery move but also a valuable tool for controlling your own field position. At most maybe make it capable of doubling, like Pikachu's Quick Attack.
Change the side-B to Telekinesis. With this Mewtwo casually releases a near invisible wave of psychic energy from his hand that dissipates after a short distance or after hitting something. This attack will turn any projectiles it hits around, sending them back at the attacker AND INFLICTING DAMAGE. Additionally, if it hits an opponent it functions much like a ranged grab, letting him throw them as though he was standing right there. These throws are not as powerful as his normal ones, being weaker the further Mewtwo is from his target.
Change the down-B to Psychic. With this move, Mewtwo releases a round burst of power that affects characters similarly to Fox's Reflector. Unlike the Reflector, the burst doesn't stay when the button is held, doesn't reflect attacks and affects a somewhat larger area.
For his Final Smash, Mewtwo would have to use his signature move, Psystrike (despite how AWESOME it would be to see him use his spoon). This would have Mewtwo create a swirling cyclone of energy (much like the manga) that has range around Cook Kirby. Everyone in range would be drawn towards the center, where Mewtwo motions with his arms to create massive slashes that deal massive damage. The cyclone then dissipates, sending the opponents flying as Mewtwo auto-taunts.
Well, wow... Sorry this is so long, but here's my thoughts. What do you think?

EgyptianSun

Smash Rookie
hehe, yeah, that certainly would make him cooler.

i wouldent change his down-B though. i had a ton of fun making my opponents become dizzy. :awesome:
Oh Disable was entertaining when it worked, for sure, but it just isn't practical. It has way too many cons for a momentary result. Hmm... Perhaps if you changed the name of my suggested down-B to Psywave, reduced its hit box a little and made it so that opponents at the edge of the attack became Dizzy but took no damage...

D

Deleted member

All of Mewtwo's specials were pretty lousy, except for Shadow Ball.
Teleport wasn't lousy.

But yeah, Confusion and Disable could be replaced with something less situational and more practical.

vGxVisions

Smash Cadet
I want him to return as he is probably the easiest legendary to include as a fighter, and they represent a big part of the game. Pokemon Trainer covers the Starter Pokemon part of the game, Pikachu the mascot and then there's Jigglypuff.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Did Sakurai say only the Original 8 couldn't be cut? Not 12?

D

Deleted member

He said nothing of the sort in regards to any of the original Smashers.

However, it's pretty much the norm to expect all to return, given that they have all done so against all odds (Ness intended to be replaced by Lucas in Melee, but was spared due to Earthbound 64's cancellation, and managed to be in Brawl alongside his intended replacement, as well as Jigglypuff being near the end of the rope in Brawl in terms of priority, but had an edge over the other three veterans also at this end of rope in that she was in both the original and Melee to where Sonic's late addition would not affect her as it did Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario.).

In the event that any of the Original 12 were to be picked off, Ness and Jigglypuff would be the first two to go, however. They would also be the ONLY two of the Original 12 to be picked off.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Can I have a source on the Lucas replacing Ness thing?

I hope Jiggs gets cut one day. But I hope Ness stays. Honestly Ness is more representational of Mother than Lucas anyway, since he looks like Ninten, and Mother 2 is the only game released outside of Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom