• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

While not set in stone, there is nothing that says that the three CANNOT be in the game all at once.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most people don't want / don't expect the roster to be like, 20% Pokemon characters. Obviously we are gonna keep Pikachu and Jiggz. Likely, Lucario and Pokemon Trainer return to. Now we want Mewtwo back, ok that's all right to. But right now we'd have 5 selectable characters, and thus 8 playable characters cause the Trainer likely will keep the 3 character gimmick even if his Pokemon change (which I don't expect). Then you'd even wanna add another in there? 9 full characters is quite a lot, even for Pokemon... I don't expect this unless Mario and Zelda also get 6 characters. And since we cannot expect too many newcomers, people say things like that.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Most people don't want / don't expect the roster to be like, 20% Pokemon characters. Obviously we are gonna keep Pikachu and Jiggz. Likely, Lucario and Pokemon Trainer return to. Now we want Mewtwo back, ok that's all right to. But right now we'd have 5 selectable characters, and thus 8 playable characters cause the Trainer likely will keep the 3 character gimmick even if his Pokemon change (which I don't expect). Then you'd even wanna add another in there? 9 full characters is quite a lot, even for Pokemon... I don't expect this unless Mario and Zelda also get 6 characters. And since we cannot expect too many newcomers, people say things like that.
I think you mis-counted.
Pikachu
Jiggs
Lucario
Squirtle
Charizard
Ivy
Mewtwo
other...

=8

D

Deleted member

More news on the potential appearance of Mewtwo in the new Genesect movie.

New watches to advertise for the movie have been revealed on Serebii, and they are as follows:

1. Red Genesect
2. Pikachu
3. Charizard
4. Iris' Dragonite
5. Genesect
6. HIDDEN

Given that Mewtwo had merchanidise with the others aside from the Red Genesect revealed later, the hidden one could be him, and he could end up being the secret other Legendary in the film outside the the twin Genesect.

D

Deleted member

It's news for the speculation, considering we know that by the merchandise from my previous post, it refers to Pokemon appearing in the anime or upcoming movie.

Charizard is shown on the poster for the Episode N saga, and is most likely Ash's making a return.
Genesect (and Red Genesect) are going to appear in the film (and regular Genesect possibly in the anime at some point, given that its blueprints are on the poster).
Eevee has already appeared in the anime due to Virgil, and will also be part of the Pikachu short that comes before the Genesect movie.
Riolu and Lucario have appeared in the anime due to Cameron.
Pikachu, Snivy, Oshawott, Pignite, Axew, Dragonite, and Pansage obviously have appeared due to who owns them, respectively.

So that just leaves Mewtwo. Mewtwo is the only odd 'mon out, as nothing has been shown that he will appear otherwise unlike the rest. So he will either appear in the anime at some point, or is the other star of the Genesect movie that is being hidden by the blank watch.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I really do hope Mewtwo is going to be brought back. Tbh, I wasn't very fond of his play style in Melee. I don't know why. Maybe the "floaty" feel or some of his moves. But I still like the pokemon in general and I think he added a lot of personality to melee's roster. I'm just happy that Mewtwo's getting a lot of promotion as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ironic cause Akuma is kind of the opposite of Mewtwo in combat.

Akuma was banned in tournaments regarding to Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and Mewtwo was one of the biggest jokes ever in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

D

Deleted member

I know you have your anti-Mewtwo bias, but really, to call him one of the biggest jokes?

Do I really need to beat sense into you again?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's not bias, it's the truth. If you honestly thought Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Melee was the best character ever in the history of forever, then you're thinking very backwards.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've never even played Street Fighter, but even so, it doesn't take much to realize that Melee's Mewtwo is a glass cannon that's super easy for many to break.

I can understand that you don't want a uber Pokemon to be overpowered, but what Mewtwo ended up with just doesn't really cut it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i co-mained melee mewtwo in tournament setting for nearly a year, and when i was a casual, i still lost most of the time when using him

he's quite bad, even from a casual standpoint. a few very talented players have show wyhat he's capable of, but it mattered very little when certain characters accomplished more much more easily with about 1/10th the effort

def should've been the best character in the game (considering how unusual his unlock requirements are)

if he does get in here's hoping they make him the badass he should be

:phone:

D

Deleted member

It's not bias, it's the truth. If you honestly thought Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Melee was the best character ever in the history of forever, then you're thinking very backwards.
Now you're making generalizations and going to extremes.
Mewtwo is not the best character in Smash history (that'd be Meta Knight :troll:), but he isn't "one of the biggest jokes" either.
In Melee, Bowser, Kirby, and Ness are by far bigger jokes (so is Pichu, but that's to be expected), and in Brawl, Jigglypuff and the Triforce Trio (Ganondorf especially) make Mewtwo look like Melee Fox in comparison.

Papinguim

Smash Rookie
Change up his moveset and BRING HIM BACK! I liked him a lot better than Lucario. Of course, he needs Psystrike, Replace Confusion and Disable (replace one with Psystrike and the other with Telekinesis). Shadow Ball should be replaced too. Other then that, Mewtwo is great.

FishSlappinDance

Smash Cadet
Perhaps Psycho Cut as a Side B could be represented visually like here at 0:38.

Seeing him cut from Brawl was saddening for me but as one of the most requested characters for Smash 4, I approve under the condition that Mewtwo's buffed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That'd be cool, but would like a little bit of added range. Mewtwo needs to have some spacing tools to mess around with.

But I'd like a command-grabbing type attack as Psychic much better, imagine a far more ranged Confusion with 2~3 times the strenght of Confusion, good knockback, great mind game potential, and actual projectile reflecting abilities? That'd be a good first step to buff him.

Additionally, I like his Melee moveset. But his moves need to be buffed, not replaced. All of his moves look wicked, and suit him well. They just lack range, priority, speed and power mostly. :rolleyes:

Disable could change as well. Maybe make THAT Psycho Cut?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes pretty much. I unfortunately don't main him anymore in Melee, cause I wanted to step my game up. And honestly, I'm not all too good in Melee, so I dropped him and DK (for now, they will still be my low tier mains though). I don't wanna do this in Smash 4. And no mather how awesome Gen 6 will be, nothing tops Mewtwo (not even a fire lion Pokemon, and *****es KNOW I love fire lions).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wow man..No matter what new pokes they put in Sm4sh if Mewtwo aint there...its gonna feel ******.....
Well, Mewtwo's chances of making a fashionable return (at least in my mind) are still pretty strong, but a new Generation of Pokémon doesn't help.

I don't think Sakurai and co will add two new Pokémon (one from Gen V, one from Gen VI), but it does definitely raise the chances IMO of Sakurai adding a Pokémon that hadn't been conceived when Brawl came out. Although if Sakurai was to add two new Pokémon (one from each gen, or another "WTF?" Pokémon Trainer-esk move [although that was 3 characters+Lucario]), then that would significantly hurt Mewtwo's chances at returning. But alas, like I stated, the chances for that are pretty low.

Both of these scenario would also, coincidentally, may hurt Lucario's chances of returning quite a bit (the latter but more unlikely scenario would neuter Lucarios' chance of returning IMO).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, it's pretty much Mewtwo vs Lucario time again? I'll be siding with Mewtwo, though I don't really want Lucario to go either. Wish they could just add Mewtwo and call it a day with Pokemon honestly, but I doubt that's gonna be the case.

Psystrike needs to be his Final Smash. And seeing as Psychic isn't the ultimate attack for him anymore, there's not reason for him not to use it as his Side B to slam some foes into the ground with 3 x the range and power of Confusion, just because.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Lucario aint got **** on this legendary.

And yes, psystrike should be the final smash, although something that has never been used in pokemon ( ex: Lucario's aura storm ) Should be fine for a final smash. Imagine mewtwo spirit bombing the entire stage. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucario aint got **** on this legendary.

And yes, psystrike should be the final smash, although something that has never been used in pokemon ( ex: Lucario's aura storm ) Should be fine for a final smash. Imagine mewtwo spirit bombing the entire stage. :p
Mewtwo's Final Smash would, and SHOULD be one of the strongest around. No reason to hold back when you get the Smash Ball right? Watch it become Disable instead after it gets removed as his Down B lolz

Phazon, Pikachu is also better than Lucario in Brawl though. And Jiggz is still close to top tier in Melee as well. I would like Mewtwo to be stronger, but that doesn't automatically mean he should intentionally be made stronger than the other Pokemon characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THAT AIN'T KANTO! OH, OH, OH, PSYCHO COMBO!

Wish we could've seen that in Smash instead... :rolleyes:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mewtwo's Final Smash would, and SHOULD be one of the strongest around. No reason to hold back when you get the Smash Ball right? Watch it become Disable instead after it gets removed as his Down B lolz

Phazon, Pikachu is also better than Lucario in Brawl though. And Jiggz is still close to top tier in Melee as well. I would like Mewtwo to be stronger, but that doesn't automatically mean he should intentionally be made stronger than the other Pokemon characters.
He shouldn't be intentionally made weaker than the other playable Pokemon either though, if that makes sense.

Other than that I agree with what's being said. :awesome:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So, it's pretty much Mewtwo vs Lucario time again? I'll be siding with Mewtwo, though I don't really want Lucario to go either. Wish they could just add Mewtwo and call it a day with Pokemon honestly, but I doubt that's gonna be the case.
No, that's not what I meant. I'm saying that if we get two new Pokémon, there is a solid chance we don't get either Lucario or Mewtwo back. It'd depend on how the roster is looking (in terms of numbers) more than anything. If we got like 25 characters confirmed, there's still a solid chance that we get both. If we got 45 characters confirmed... you can start panicking for either one of them. It's more of a hypothetical process right now than "how it is;" because "how it is" right now is that both characters seem very likely to return, along with most of the Brawl roster.

And Lucario vs. Mewtwo was never a thing to Sakurai, developers, or anyone involved in Brawl's development. If anything, based on game file evidence, if any "character vs. character" was a thing, it was Mewtwo and/or Roy vs. Sonic and possibly Wolf.

Truth be told, Lucario would be easier to add in Smash WiiU and 3DS than Mewtwo, because there's more files of him to be transferred, as well as because he isn't terribly weak like Mewtwo was in Melee. But still, as it stands, it is pretty likely we'll see both of them.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NmwkYmAr-H4

Well yes he should be the most damaging pokemon most powerful but shouldnt out do all other pokes in all stats like in the game.

Example he shouldnt be faster/heavier/and wayyy more stronger then the other pokes u understand?

i bet if anything it will come down to Jiggly or Mew2 and you kbow who Sakurai will pick..you even said so yourself jhon that jiggly was added late weirdly... And yes i highly doubt the roster will exceed 45 so we should be nervous but im not..instead im sick! tired and bloody annoyed with the lack of news..

and he said ''we have to wait for it! it will be worth it...''

Why is it that i dont beilieve him...

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu can be believable faster than Mewtwo. And Jiggz can have better airspeed and aerial combos. In return Mewtwo needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY stronger, have stronger specials, Smash attacks, better ranged options, be heavier, jump better ect. You know, be totally bad ***.

It's funny how Lucas has a stat buffing move in Project M though. I picture something similar would easily work for Mewtwo as well. Posted that idea a lot before in the 'general Smash 4 thread', but pretty much lost it all. Anyways, now that it's in Project M, it's a lot easier to envision for all. So basically: should Mewtwo be given a move similar to Lucas' Offense Up in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom