• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm curious as too Mewtwo fans who is your main since Mewtwo is not in?Mine is Shulk(3x more play time than anyone cept for Link cuz demo)
Don't have the 3DS version, but thinking of picking it up tomorrow and getting a (very early) head start... More than likely Doc. Was an old main in Melee, he'll hold me off till Mewtwo's inclusion in Spring :)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Well then. . .When I was in the room & noticed pixels starting from the feet I yelled out "MEWTWO!" & was hyped for a brief moment.
I'm content.

All of my speculation about the Custom Specials. . .THANK YOU

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
After the initial Shock of Mewtwo's reveal, i thought "what are smashboards like right now?" and came to find this thread.

Mewtwo was one of my favorite characters in Melee. and i am SOOOO happy he is back! my only hope/assumption is that he'll be buffed to contend with everyone else, seeing as for the most part the roster seems pretty Balanced (I'm still new here and to the whole competitive side of Smash, so forgive me if that's not true.) he is quite possibly going to be contending with Yoshi for being my main. and i will be trying very hard to make him work for me even if i have trouble adapting a playstyle around his moveset.

:150: it's been too long... T.T

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Allow me to revise the previous statement: In her most recent appearance that gives her sapience Mewtwo is presented as feminine. The English language is not disposed to gender-neutral pronouns; a sapient being is "he" unless provided a preferred pronoun. Mewtwo is sapient, therefore I use the most recent applicable pronoun.

And, by the way, a clone of a human is still a human, even if you can stuff him in a Poké Ball. Mewtwo gets a gendered pronoun.

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
I would imagine they would use original Mewtwo just so they can re-use the Melee voice work like they have for Marth for 13 years or so. :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Worst case (or best case depending on your point of view), Origins/"standard" Mewtwo is the default voice while feminine/Movie 16 Mewtwo's voice is saved for the assumed Mega Evolution Final Smash.

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
Allow me to revise the previous statement: In her most recent appearance that gives her sapience Mewtwo is presented as feminine. The English language is not disposed to gender-neutral pronouns; a sapient being is "he" unless provided a preferred pronoun. Mewtwo is sapient, therefore I use the most recent applicable pronoun.

And, by the way, a clone of a human is still a human, even if you can stuff him in a Poké Ball. Mewtwo gets a gendered pronoun.
Please do not throw your SJW tumblrism into this, it's really irrelevant.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I was thinking more of this.

To annoy the audience, Mewtwo Y(Female) is only on the 3DS Version, whereas Mewtwo X(Male) is only on the Wii U version.

What do you think of that?

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
What a great day it has been. Nice to see this thread back and better than ever. Can't wait to have some good discussions and see awesome fan art.

We have dreamed of bringing back the worlds most requested character. And we succeeded!

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Aww yiss just edited a gif as well.

I think I'm gonna be making more Mewtwo related art now.

*(After several edits) There we go; I like this :3

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm really liking Mewtwo's model, well, with what we have so far.

I found the post that I made which has some moveset ideas (I have no idea if I posted it here before, I only posted in this thread a looong time ago, also added some more things).

Like, I'm not the biggest Mewtwo fan, but damn, we need some more characters who are very popular in both Japan AND in the West who could bring mass amounts of hype.

All I hope is that Mewtwo will be fixed up. Even though he really needs some changes, I think Mewtwo could bring some unique things to the table.

Some of my ideas:

- Shadow Ball is okay. I think they could tweak it a little bit to differentiate it more from Lucario's Aura Sphere. Keep the curve-like motion, and maybe make it go through opponents (hey, it's a Ghost type move afterall). Shadowball is iconic, but with 3 humanoid Pokemon having projectiles, I wouldn't mind something else. They could always replace it (or another move) with Psystrike
- Teleport is fine.
- Confusion needs to be a true reflector, but I'd prefer if the move is a long range grab. Like, similar controls to Zelda's Din's Fire with less range, maybe faster. You could pick up/stall opponents and maybe reflect things.
- Disable needs to go. Or reworked. Some sort of barrier or status boosting move would be cool.
- Grabs are cool and strong. Could stay, maybe buff in range.
- Side Smash is kinda similar to Lucario's. Could be changed. DSmash should be on both sides, or at least create a bigger hitbox so that the other side of Mewtwo will damage opponents (like Lucas' down smash)
- Tail moves need to go imo. They just look awkward and could be replaced with just about anything. Like, maybe dark energy slashes (long hitbox), or punches, etc. (I'll be fine if he has like one or 2 tail moves)
- Buff Mewtwo in some areas (though I'd prefer a whole rework). Jab + other moves needs less cooldown. Fix some hitbox issues... Hell, Project M did some good changes. Add those changes (but tone down some things so he ain't broken), and hovering (optional, but always welcomed. Or to tone it down, just be able to hover in one spot/not move for a one time use in the air), and I wouldn't mind (though I would prefer some new moves).
- Mega Evolutions are not mandatory for me, but it's more XY promotion if PC/GF wants
- Give Mewtwo his own victory theme.

Alternately:

Give Mewtwo THE SPOON! THE SPOON!!
I would actually love to see them play with gravitational pulls (I mean, he's a Psychic type, makes sense). Which is why I kinda like the long range grab idea. I know Rosalina has one, but something different, maybe affecting opponents too.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Hype has been restored. This made up for Ridley being confirmed as a damn stage boss. Welcome back Mewtwo. Welcome back.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
everything about this illuminates my life in brilliant psychedelic color

congratulations to the entire smash bros fanbase

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
They could have said 'it' but they didn't.
...Are you trying to wind me up, or just stupid? Because from the look of this argument, it's both: We're speaking English. The English language does not - repeat - does NOT refer to people (or, for that matter, characters who are meant to be taken as "people") as "it." Full stop, end of story, get over it.

...And I'm using unneeded invective again. I apologize. English grammar still proves you wrong.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
When I first heard the news circulating I was scared to hope again.

Then I watched the direct.

It's good to be back, friends.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
...Are you trying to wind me up, or just stupid? Because from the look of this argument, it's both: We're speaking English. The English language does not - repeat - does NOT refer to people (or, for that matter, characters who are meant to be taken as "people") as "it." Full stop, end of story, get over it.

...And I'm using unneeded invective again. I apologize. English grammar still proves you wrong.

...What is wrong with you?

I'm not even arguing with you lol. I'm way to happy for that. I just said they could have used it, but they didn't. No need to blow up at me or call me stupid, because you're just making yourself look stupid.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
No need to blow up at me or call me stupid, because you're just making yourself look stupid.
Which I realized and for which I apologized, yes. I am, as I've pointed out before, something of a grammar nazi. Using "he" is proper, using "it" is only appropriate for animals... like, for example, Pikachu. Who is clever, but not a superhuman intellect like Mewtwo's.

In this case, using "she" is also appropriate, if only because Mewtwo has more recently appeared as feminine than masculine, when given sapient intellect.

As for making myself look stupid, it's not like I haven't been on a healthy diet of feet for some time...

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Keep her light and fast, she can actually be compared to Lucario that way (different BST's, but similar roles in their respective tiers). Fast, strong attacks (she doesn't get Aura Boost, remember!), and floaty. Take away the teleport (which Mewtwo doesn't actually learn, nor use in either movie) and replace it with a facsimile of Extreme Speed (basically, the flying bubble-shield from the First Movie). Shadow Ball can even be dropped to a custom option, since she has a new signature attack in Psystrike.

And "odd" jumps should be par for the course; she might not actually be "jumping." ;)
I think we should stop comparing Mewtwo to Lucario first and foremost. They're about as similar as Mewtwo and Pikachu. :)

But I do think he should keep the teleport, because it's the most obvious movement mode for psychics. I'd say he should fly and glide but not that many characters are allowed to glide this time around, let alone fly. I'd be fine with his fast paced teleport. But it depends on what they want to do. Fast and light Mewtwo would indicate that he wouldn't be doing as many ranged attacks. Slow and heavy, it would make sense for a psychic in my opinion. Maybe even a teleport conter like Metaknight's. There are plenty of offensive ranged attacks I can see them using, including Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Psychocut, Future Strike, Psyshock. There are also plenty of defensive ones as well like Reflect, Barrier, Confusion, etc.

The main reason why I'm not betting on the light/fast combo is because that's sort of Greninja's thing already. And Mewtwo isn't a skinny light frog like Greninja. He needs to be distinct from Lucario and Greninja. He's technically far more superior than both combined!

In English, "proper" terminology is to use the masculine pronoun when referring to an androgyne.

Mewtwo is feminine in her most recent appearance, therefore I assume this one will be as well.
Just for clarification: His most recent apperance is in Pokemon Origins (you can check the air dates) in which he was masculine. Not that there's anything wrong with Femtwo as a replacement (or an alt which would be more ideal), it's just that he's traditionally masculine. It would be as odd to see Femtwo in instead of masculine Mewtwo as it would be to see a feminine Link - not that there's anything wrong with a feminine Link.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Which I realized and for which I apologized, yes. I am, as I've pointed out before, something of a grammar nazi. Using "he" is proper, using "it" is only appropriate for animals... like, for example, Pikachu. Who is clever, but not a superhuman intellect like Mewtwo's.

In this case, using "she" is also appropriate, if only because Mewtwo has more recently appeared as feminine than masculine, when given sapient intellect.

As for making myself look stupid, it's not like I haven't been on a healthy diet of feet for some time...
It's alright, I forgive you. I'm a grammar nazi myself, considering I've wrote a few stories in the past so I do understand where you were coming from.

I don't think there should be any arguments on a day like today, we should all just celebrate our achievement.

I just meant it in general when I said that they could have used it. They commonly refer to Pokemon as 'it' in the television series. I wasn't trying to argue with you.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know I'm all for grammar Nazism, but can we get back to how awesomely amazing it is that Mewtwo is back!?

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I think we should keep comparing Mewtwo to Lucario first and foremost. They're about as similar as Mewtwo and Pikachu. :)

But I do think he should keep the teleport, because it's the most obvious movement mode for psychics. I'd say he should fly and glide but not that many characters are allowed to glide this time around, let alone fly. I'd be fine with his fast paced teleport. But it depends on what they want to do. Fast and light Mewtwo would indicate that she wouldn't be doing as many ranged attacks. Slow and heavy, it would make sense for a psychic in my opinion. Maybe even a teleport conter like Metaknight's. There are plenty of offensive ranged attacks I can see them using, including Psystrike, Shadow Ball, Psychocut, Future Strike, Psyshock. There are also plenty of defensive ones as well like Reflect, Barrier, Confusion, etc.

The main reason why I'm not betting on the light/fast combo is because that's sort of Greninja's thing already. And Mewtwo isn't a skinny light frog like Greninja. He needs to be distinct from Lucario and Greninja. He's technically far more superior than both combined!
Fast and light would also be the traditional archer traits on the tabletop... she wants to get away from the furball. The fact that Mewtwo can use a physical-oriented set in the Pokémon games could be used as the basis for some custom moves here, since the default expectations might be similar. ;)

Just for clarification: His most recent apperance is in Pokemon Origins (you can check the air dates) in which he was masculine. Not that there's anything wrong with Femtwo as a replacement (or an alt which would be more ideal), it's just that he's traditionally masculine. It would be as odd to see Femtwo in instead of masculine Mewtwo as it would be to see a feminine Link - not that there's anything wrong with a feminine Link.
Accepted, but there's also the problem of canon: Mewtwo is genetically human. So, yes, I'm bypassing the feral version and referring to the pronouns applied to the sapient one(s). Also? Digimon, season three. Get Mari Devon for Femtwo's voice, all will be well. :p

And I'm not entirely convinced that Link is not, in fact, a girl. Elves is weird that way.

I don't think there should be any arguments on a day like today, we should all just celebrate our achievement.
Your achievement, please. I'm not quite at terms with the marketing SNAFU that was announced first, Mewtwo's return is rather bittersweet for me. :crying:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Let me just say I'm not as happy about this as some of you are; this is clearly a tactic to make people spend more money. I feared Nintendo would slip into the pits of greed, and what would be a better trick than a character people actually wanted? Because I'm calling it now... the next DLC fighters will be the vets they cut out so they would have time to make **** like Smash Run and unfun minigames.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Let me just say I'm not as happy about this as some of you are; this is clearly a tactic to make people spend more money. I feared Nintendo would slip into the pits of greed, and what would be a better trick than a character people actually wanted? Because I'm calling it now... the next DLC fighters will be the vets they cut out so they would have time to make **** like Smash Run and unfun minigames.
We could have got just the games with no Mewtwo and no glimmer of hope at all for any other character that was cut or other wise. Personally I prefer what they're doing now but I respect your opinion, at least they aren't as bad as Capcom.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I can see why you'd think that but:

1. Mewtwo would be free for most of us
2. Mewtwo will not cost that much. Odds are he'll be less than $10. My bet is on $5 like other DLC characters in other games.
3. DLC is supposed to be something people want. Why would they put out DLC that no one would buy?
4. Corporations are meant to make money. They're greedy by nature. This should not surprise anyone.
5. Mewtwo's in. WHO CARES?! :)

Just sayin'.

The only reason why this would be a rip off if his character sucks. And seeing as they're taking their time with him, he shouldn't suck.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
the next DLC fighters will be the vets they cut out so they would have time to make **** like Smash Run and unfun minigames.
Those "unfun minigames" have been around since at least Melee. They may well have "cut" those vets for the purpose of de-cloning... note that the list includes Wolf and Lucas, aside from Mewtwo (don't start, please). Marketing FUBAR aside, I'd rather have the "finished" game on the promised date, than have it pushed back and back and back just so that the devs can write two characters properly. Wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom