• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
6 isn't really relevant. Much too recent.

I've been thinking about adding 11 lately. The leak doesn't really improve or lessen Mewtwo's chances, though.

DLC characters are a good point. (#12)

13 can tie into number 10.

Project M isn't relevant, unfortunately. Mewtwo's reveal is too recent. (#14)

15 and 16 seem to have the same point. I wouldn't say Toon Link and Lucario aren't worthy characters, though. And you can't really use a character's relevence
as an argument. This is Sakurai we're talking about. R.O.B., Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.

I'll let you guys know when it's updated. Whoever hasn't checked out the first post yet should definitely give it a read: http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo.324191/page-1
I did not know there already was a list.

6. How do we know how long Pokkén Tournament has been in development?
11. No but if the roster was full, then his chance would be less. So I still think it's a valid point.
10 is different from 13 because 10 is directly connected to Mewtwo, 13 is just a general thing that could relate to Mewtwo. It's not the same thing.
15, 16 No Dr. Mario is one huge point standing on it's own. Why would Dr. Mario be back if Mewtwo isn't. It doesn't make sense. And I didn't say that Lucario and Toon link aren't worthy characters, I said less worthy. It's not the same point at all. I do not understand your point about not being able to use a character as a point. Dr. Mario is a huge point like I said.

I think I probably had the best luck of anybody when I first played Melee.

I purchased a memory card and controller from a 2nd hand store and had Melee waiting as I'd already bought the game a while before from eBay.

Put in the game, fully expecting to have to go through the whole process of unlocking every character... and instead I find the entire roster available. I thought I was doing something wrong lol.
I wouldn't call that luck... That sounds very boring to me. And all the stats would not be yours. I'd wipe it first thing.

Guys I translated the japanese tweet. Hamamatsu City Pokemon Center because this way now. "@Junichi_Masuda: got a poster just Pokemon! RT @bestpartner 11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー return to Hamamatsu-Cho station found!

He found a SSB4 pokemon only poster at Hamamatsu-Cho station in Japan!

So Mewtwo is still not deconfirmed.
Ofc he isn't... But I don't see why you would come to that conclusion because of that tweet. =/

Last edited:

Polo

Smash Cadet
And you can't really use a character's relevence as an argument. This is Sakurai we're talking about. R.O.B., Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.
I agree with all the other points in your post, and it's true that you can't use relevance as an argument for Smash characters in general.
However, according to this article, relevance does seem to matter for Pokemon characters:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

For anyone who hasn't come across this article before, I suggest you have a look - it has some good insight into Sakurai's Pokemon selection process. It also bodes well for Mewtwo, given his mega evolutions and recent movie appearance ("What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now?"), as well as the fact that he's got his psychic abilities to differentiate him from other Pokemon on the roster ("What’s unique about them?").

@Omnireader The fact that Mewtwo seems to fit Sakurai's Pokemon selection criteria could be a good point to put in the page 1 post :)

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Guys I translated the japanese tweet. Hamamatsu City Pokemon Center because this way now. "@Junichi_Masuda: got a poster just Pokemon! RT @bestpartner 11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー return to Hamamatsu-Cho station found!

He found a SSB4 pokemon only poster at Hamamatsu-Cho station in Japan!

So Mewtwo is still not deconfirmed.
My friend translated this:

"I found this at Hamamatsu town station on the way home from pokemon centre Tokyo. It's pushing for pokemon so much!"
The advert says "over 40 fighters are gathering! Big battles anywhere, anytime!".

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
My friend translated this:

"I found this at Hamamatsu town station on the way home from pokemon centre Tokyo. It's pushing for pokemon so much!"
The advert says "over 40 fighters are gathering! Big battles anywhere, anytime!".
I was close though :D

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
So, I just realized something guys. If Mewtwo had the same unlocking requirements as Melee, wouldn't it be very tough to unlock him on the 3DS? You can only use 1 player, unless you have another ds, right? You just can't leave the game on all night without the CPUs getting to you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I just realized something guys. If Mewtwo had the same unlocking requirements as Melee, wouldn't it be very tough to unlock him on the 3DS? You can only use 1 player, unless you have another ds, right? You just can't leave the game on all night without the CPUs getting to you.
If stage builder is back, you can do it alone. Just make a giant box for a stage with spikes on top of it :laugh:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
However, according to this article, relevance does seem to matter for Pokemon characters::http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

it has some good insight into Sakurai's Pokemon selection process. It also bodes well for Mewtwo, given his mega evolutions and recent movie appearance ("What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now?"), as well as the fact that he's got his psychic abilities to differentiate him from other Pokemon on the roster ("What’s unique about them?").
If we were to take Sakurai's words & sources true for one moment, what exactly happened that year, that we know / knew of, when Sakurai went to the Pokemon Company to ask about said questions?

http://www.serebii.net/xy/pre-megaevolutions.shtml
2012 was still Generation V for pokemon still in the Unova region, therefore the only thing at the time that did bode well for Mewtwo was all the events for B/W. 2012 did not bode well for Mewtwo except for this in December:
This Pokémon was first leaked in a promotional pamphlet of the Present Guide for the movie Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens, replacing Mewtwo on the poster with a caption calling it the Eclair Forme.
That leak of a pamphlet was the only big things for Mewtwo in 2012, being very late in December.
  • We had no news or leak information about his Mega Evolution(s) until mid-2013 except for the leak pamphlet.
  • Pokemon Origins wasn't until October 13 for Japan & November 2013 for US
  • Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens was not until July 2013
  • The last appearance Mewtwo made in a movie or special besides his 2013 recency was Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon which was in 2006.
What I'm basically saying is Mewtwo never got any huge notice until 2013. I'm replying towards the time frame when Sakurai asks "what are the hot pokemon?" Not Mewtwo. "What pokemon are in the movies right now?" Not Mewtwo. If we were to talk about what the hot pokemon & what pokemon were in the movies at the time in 2012, it would of been this movie with any pokemon from it: Pokémon the Movie Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice

I'm being very specific I know, & Sakurai would know more about what pokemon are in store of than we do. But at the time for us, Mewtwo was not heard of until mid 2013, not 2012 according to Sakurai starting development of that game.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
If we were to take Sakurai's words & sources true for one moment, what exactly happened that year, that we know / knew of, when Sakurai went to the Pokemon Company to ask about said questions?
Try to exclude yourself from using the :4greninja: counter-argument as well unless it's needed.
2012 was still Generation V for pokemon still in the Unova region, therefore the only thing at the time that did bode well for Mewtwo was all the events for B/W. 2012 did not bode well for Mewtwo except for this in December:

That leak of a pamphlet was the only big things for Mewtwo in 2012, being very late in December.
  • We had no news or leak information about his Mega Evolution(s) until mid-2013 except for the leak pamphlet.
  • The last appearance Mewtwo made in a movie or special besides his 2013 recency was Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon which was in 2006.
What I'm basically saying is Mewtwo never got any huge notice until 2013. I'm replying towards the time frame when Sakurai asks "what are the hot pokemon?" Not Mewtwo. "What pokemon are in the movies right now?" Not Mewtwo. If we were to talk about what the hot pokemon & what pokemon were in the movies at the time in 2012, it would of been this movie with any pokemon from it: Pokémon the Movie Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice

I'm being very specific I know, & Sakurai would know more about what pokemon are in store of than we do. But at the time for us, Mewtwo was not heard of until mid 2013, not 2012 according to Sakurai starting development of that game.
Let's stay positive now.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Try to exclude yourself from using the :4greninja: counter-argument as well unless it's needed.

They also look ahead to games coming out after 2012. Not just greninja but also look at shulk, from a series that will be big in 2015.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Let's stay positive now.
:urg: but I'm a decent person. Now you're just pressuring me.:laugh: You're funny. . .cus Mewtwo's ability.;)
They also look ahead to games coming out after 2012. Not just greninja but also look at shulk, from a series that will be big in 2015.
I was being very very specific when replying disregarding how GF / Pokemon Company does, but Idk if Xenoblade promotes the same way as Pokemon does for Smash so I can't reply to that.

Last edited:

Polo

Smash Cadet

Well, what I was assuming is that Pokemon Company would tell be able to tell Sakurai what they have planned and upcoming, similar to how Sakurai was given information on Roy by Intelligent Systems before he was in any games.
For example, (sorry to bring up :4greninja:), Greninja's concepts were shown to Sakurai more than a year before X&Y was released. Since X&Y were released in October 2013, I imagine that the Pokemon Company would also be able to talk about Movie 16 with Sakurai, given that M16 actually released before X&Y in July 2013. It would have potentially been in the works already at that time, or at the very least in planning.
And, since Sakurai was shown concepts for Pokemon in X&Y, I imagine he was also shown the Mega Evolutions. He almost definitely knew about them before the general public did anyway, since he was working to include them as Lucario and Charizard's Final Smash.

So yeah, while it's true that, when Sakurai decided the roster, Mewtwo's popularity and relevance hadn't yet spiked with the general public, Sakurai would have most likely been aware of what was in store for Mewtwo in the next year or so.

Last edited:

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Even if the situation comes and he won't be in even when they announce DLC... I'll probably get over it after 3 years just like with Brawl. The leaked roster looks great even when Mewtwo is not in. BUT HE IS :)

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
:urg: but I'm a decent person. Now you're just pressuring me.:laugh: You're funny. . .cus Mewtwo's ability.;)

I was being very very specific when replying disregarding how GF / Pokemon Company does, but Idk if Xenoblade promotes the same way as Pokemon does for Smash so I can't reply to that.
Tbh I'm sure Nintendo and sakurai talked a lot about who would be relevant around the time smash releases

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Well, what I was assuming is that Pokemon Company would tell be able to tell Sakurai what they have planned and upcoming, similar to how Sakurai was given information on Roy by Intelligent Systems before he was in any games.
For example, (sorry to bring up :4greninja:), Greninja's concepts were shown to Sakurai more than a year before X&Y was released. Since X&Y were released in October 2013, I imagine that the Pokemon Company would also be able to talk about Movie 16 with Sakurai, given that M16 released in July 2013. It would have potentially in the works already at that time, or at the very least in planning.
And, since Sakurai was shown concepts for Pokemon in X&Y, I imagine he was also shown the Mega Evolutions. He almost definitely knew about them before the general public did anyway, since he was working to include them as Lucario and Charizard's Final Smash.

So yeah, while it's true that, when Sakurai decided the roster, Mewtwo's popularity and relevance hadn't yet spiked with the general public, Sakurai would have most likely been aware of what was in store for Mewtwo in the next year or so.
Well said, apologies again for being very specific when replying to your post. I disregarded a lot about Greninja's interview source, including the other X & Y content such as the MEvolutions as Final Smashes for Charizard & Lucario. Posting now about this it all fits perfectly align with each other about Mewtwo & his marketing to be ideal for Smash, while thinking back in 2012, the idea of Mewtwo to be a fighter in SSB4 & 5 would of sounded far fetched but awesome.
Tbh I'm sure Nintendo and sakurai talked a lot about who would be relevant around the time smash releases
Aye, Shulk according to Sakurai's quoting, tried hard to get him included in the game. So things were arranged & discussed thoroughly now that I thinka bout it. (I did not play the Xenoblade games but knew of their mentioning)

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Well said, apologies again for being very specific when replying to your post. I disregarded a lot about Greninja's interview source, including the other X & Y content such as the MEvolutions as Final Smashes for Charizard & Lucario. Posting now about this it all fits perfectly align with each other about Mewtwo & his marketing to be ideal for Smash, while thinking back in 2012, the idea of Mewtwo to be a fighter in SSB4 & 5 would of sounded far fetched but awesome.

Aye, Shulk according to Sakurai's quoting, tried hard to get him included in the game. So things were arranged & discussed thoroughly now that I thinka bout it. (I did not play the Xenoblade games but knew of their mentioning)
He was supposed to be of the original 12. he was in melee and was planned to be in Brawl. I don't see why putting him in SSB4 regardless of X/Y would be far fetched.

Polo

Smash Cadet
Well said, apologies again for being very specific when replying to your post. I disregarded a lot about Greninja's interview source, including the other X & Y content such as the MEvolutions as Final Smashes for Charizard & Lucario.
That's okay, I probably should have elaborated more in my original post anyway.
And any post that generates on-topic discussion is a good post IMO :b:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
He was supposed to be of the original 12. he was in melee and was planned to be in Brawl. I don't see why putting him in SSB4 regardless of X/Y would be far fetched.
Us knowing this it does make my previous post odd when saying it's far fetched, yet I say that from the hindsight success rate that Mewtwo got to be playable in Smash overall.
1/3 games is a bad score.:(
That's okay, I probably should have elaborated more in my original post anyway.
And any post that generates on-topic discussion is a good post IMO :b:
:shades: Discussion is a success.
Another topic: MegaMewtwoX

Super Smash Brothers is a fighting game. Pokken Tournament is a fighting game. Not just because MMX is a dual type Psychic/Fighting pokemon making sense for him to be in both fighting games, but I actually see MMX being in both games, especially included in SSB4 & 5 with MMY as the more prominent pushed form out there in terms of recency & promotion.

If MiiFighters & Palutena get so much content & elements to them, what's to say Mewtwo can't be seen using both forms like Charizard could?

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Us knowing this it does make my previous post odd when saying it's far fetched, yet I say that from the hindsight success rate that Mewtwo got to be playable in Smash overall.

Super Smash Brothers is a fighting game. Pokken Tournament is a fighting game. Not just because MMX is a dual type Psychic/Fighting pokemon making sense for him to be in both fighting games, but I actually see MMX being in both games, especially included in SSB4 & 5 with MMY as the more prominent pushed form out there in terms of recency & promotion.

If MiiFighters & Palutena get so much content & elements to them, what's to say Mewtwo can't be seen using both forms like Charizard could?
well said!

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
What if they release a DLC pack for Mewtwo and Charizard. Adding a alternate final smash. Both could get their other other MEVO as a custom smash?

I personally find that not so impossible. It would just be a different skin.

Polo

Smash Cadet

It would definitely be cool to see both of Mewtwo's mega forms in the game. However, the problem with Mega Mewtwo X is (if it was a transformation Final Smash) Sakurai would most likely have to create an almost entirely new moveset just for his Final Smash, as MMX is physical and would most likely punch and kick, while regular Mewtwo and MMY are specially oriented.

There could actually be an issue with making MMY a transformation FS as well. If Mewtwo still had a plethora of tail attacks as he did in Melee, then the fact that MMY's tail is on its head could provide some technical challenges with hitboxes, or it might necessitate redesigning some moves entirely.

All this means that integrating either MMX or MMY as a transformation could be development intensive, particularly if both were added. While I would like to see Mewtwo getting as much development time invested in him as Palutena or the Mii fighters, that seems unlikely to me, unfortunately.

What I generally thought Sakurai could do for a Mewtwo FS would be him transforming into MMY and flying around firing off Psychic attacks, in a similar manner to Yoshi's FS (it would be, how you would say, "eggcellent" :yoshi2: ). Alternately, he could just transform into MMY, fire off Psystrike (unless it's one of his specials), then transform back into Mewtwo.

Now that I think about it, if they go down the "transform, attack, revert" FS route, then they could make it so that there is 50% chance of Mewtwo becoming MMY or MMX, firing off either Psytrike (or Psychic etc.) if he was MMY, or Drain Punch or something if he was MMX.
But however they would go about it, it would be great to see both Mega Evolutions in the game somehow :)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What if they release a DLC pack for Mewtwo and Charizard. Adding a alternate final smash. Both could get their other other MEVO as a custom smash?

I personally find that not so impossible. It would just be a different skin.
If they did, I'd not complain, rather I would be joyed to see any extra content for them both. It can go into that DLC pack Idea I'll pretend it would say:
So you wanna be a Master?! Of Pokemon!
Specifically adding in Final Smash content seems, sketchy. It's do-able since it's not far-out of the realm of possibility. Though when you say skin I;m reminded of my past game-play back when I played League of Legends & I had to buy skins which are basically alternate costumes / palettes. I suppose FS DLC via costume would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone piece of awesome!

I'd rather both of Charizard & Mewtwo's MEvo's being implemented in the game, mostly Mewtwo & you can input a tiny difference of controls to choose with MEvo you wanna use for your FS moment capturing the Smash Ball.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
If they did, I'd not complain, rather I would be joyed to see any extra content for them both. It can go into that DLC pack Idea I'll pretend it would say:
So you wanna be a Master?! Of Pokemon!
Specifically adding in Final Smash content seems, sketchy. It's do-able since it's not far-out of the realm of possibility. Though when you say skin I;m reminded of my past game-play back when I played League of Legends & I had to buy skins which are basically alternate costumes / palettes. I suppose FS DLC via costume would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone piece of awesome!

I'd rather both of Charizard & Mewtwo's MEvo's being implemented in the game, mostly Mewtwo & you can input a tiny difference of controls to choose with MEvo you wanna use for your FS moment capturing the Smash Ball.
Mewtwo Y's final smash would be similiar to Sonic's. but more balanced.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It would definitely be cool to see both of Mewtwo's mega forms in the game. However, the problem with Mega Mewtwo X is (if it was a transformation Final Smash) Sakurai would most likely have to create an almost entirely new moveset just for his Final Smash, as MMX is physical and would most likely punch and kick, while regular Mewtwo and MMY are specially oriented.

There could actually be an issue with making MMY a transformation FS as well. If Mewtwo still had a plethora of tail attacks as he did in Melee, then the fact that MMY's tail is on its head could provide some technical challenges with hitboxes, or it might necessitate redesigning some moves entirely.

All this means that integrating MMX or MMY as a transformation could be development intensive. While I would like to see Mewtwo getting as much development time invested in him as Palutena or the Mii fighters, that seems unlikely to me, unfortunately.

What I generally thought Sakurai could do for a Mewtwo FS would be him transforming into MMY and flying around firing off Psychic attacks, in a similar manner to Yoshi's FS (it would be, how you would say, "eggcellent" :yoshi2: ). Alternately, he could just transform into MMY, fire off Psystrike (unless it's one of his specials), then transform back into Mewtwo.

Now that I think about it, if they goes down the "transform, attack, revert" FS route, then they could make it so that there is 50% chance of Mewtwo becoming MMY or MMX, firing off either Psytrike (or Psychic etc.) if he was MMY, or Drain Punch or something if he was MMX.
However they would go about it, I would love to see both Mega Evolutions in the game somehow :)
True, but an open-minded responding question would be: "Does Mewtwo's FSes have to be kicking / punching / whipping(tail) ?"
I'd like them to be if the current FS quota for pokemon excluding Pikachu Greninja & Jigglypuff (because they're not cool enough to have MEvo FSes:p), was to transform into Megaform & go around wrecking things. But that's unlikely to me as well. .
Mewtwo's FS ideas could very well be cinematic & generic like anyone else persay the most brought-up idea that MMY uses Psystrike & reverts back to Mewtwo similar to Femtwo's way of transforming then reverting so quickly. Link's Brawl FS of shooting a ranged slit beam of light, dashing to the affected target & walloping on the fighter. Or like a Ness FS, MMX or MMY summons something & is a wide-scale attack. Or the common brought-up FS similarity you said about Yoshi's eggcelent FS idea integrated into MMY shooting Psychic attacks around.:yoshi2:

Btw that 50% chance thing for MMX & MMY doing different cinematic FS attacks as an idea is sweet. I'd like it if it wasn't based on chance rather it was select-able, however chance / luck is a Smash element / mechanic / factor such as :4luigi:Misfire :gw:Judgement & :snake:C-3 Butterfly.
Mewtwo Y's final smash would be similiar to Sonic's. but more balanced.
Oh man. . .They already balanced Super Sonic in the demo. It was kind of bad that it couldn't kill at all.:urg: If that's the case please no to the balancing MMY "Super Sonic" inspiration. I would want MMY to be devastating & powerful to be sealing KO's winning.:shades:

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So why do I see this happening?"We tried to include Mewtwo but with his tail attacks we couldn't possibly have a tail on his head.So no Mewtwo us not in the game."

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So why do I see this happening?"We tried to include Mewtwo but with his tail attacks we couldn't possibly have a tail on his head.So no Mewtwo us not in the game."
"Please Understand"
Lmao. Why do I see this cheezy quote paraphrasing possibly what Nintendo would say, from you actually turning out to maybe being true. . .xD

But really, that shouldn't be the case at all. IC's is one thing, but an appendage area differing location of MEvolving to MMY, is another.:shades:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Holy crap this thread has really grown. I remember being excited about it almost hitting 100 pages. Still not giving up hope yet for Mewtwo. If he added Dr. Mario back surely he added Mewtwo back...right? ...right?

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You Know I still haven't watched Mew vs Mewtwo yet...

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I suppose we all agree that Mewtwo's Shadow Ball should be replaced with Psycho Cut, correct?

Or perhaps a different move should be replaced with it?

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Mewtwo needs 100% more Psystrike

I mean, that's like its signature move, now, right?

Last edited:

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
I suppose we all agree that Mewtwo's Shadow Ball should be replaced with Psycho Cut, correct?

I think no.
Shadow ball is one of his signature moves in the movie. Maybe the side b, but Mewtwo was always a pokemon that attacks with special moves not with physical.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think no.
Shadow ball is one of his signature moves in the movie. Maybe the side b, but Mewtwo was always a pokemon that attacks with special moves not with physical.
I agree about replacing Mewtwo's side B with Psycho Cut. Though, if Shadow Ball comes back, I hope it gets a buff.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

People are saying Psystrike, since its Mewtwo's renowned signature move in the games. But nostalgia Mewtwo movie fans still want Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom