• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Mewtwo will strike back. It is beyond inconceivable that Dr. Mario would have higher priority to return.

Although given the way Mewtwo is caught in Pokemon and unlocked in Melee (ie last) we will most likely be the last fanbase to celebrate and will have our celebrations overshadowed by the collective loss of every other fanbase.

Not that I care, :mewtwopm: is the last major want for me (Isaac a very distant second).

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Mewtwo will strike back. It is beyond inconceivable that Dr. Mario would have higher priority to return.

Although given the way Mewtwo is caught in Pokemon and unlocked in Melee (ie last) we will most likely be the last fanbase to celebrate and will have our celebrations overshadowed by the collective loss of every other fanbase.

Not that I care, :mewtwopm: is the last major want for me (Isaac a very distant second).
May I remind you Mewtwo doesn't necessarily have to be last? You can unlock him first if anything.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
May I remind you Mewtwo doesn't necessarily have to be last? You can unlock him first if anything.
Mewtwo was unlocked by playing VS for 20 hours or playing 700 VS matches. So while anyone could be first or last, Mewtwo would take a very long time to unlock, and if that is the unlock method again the leaker may not have had enough time, especially given there are so many other new modes these days, and getting info on the new modes is much easier than grinding VS mode on the chance that Mewtwo or someone else may be locked behind playtime. Most people say Mewtwo is the or nearly the last character they unlocked, so the point is still valid even if not entirely factual.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Mewtwo was unlocked by playing VS for 20 hours or playing 700 VS matches. So while anyone could be first or last, Mewtwo would take a very long time to unlock, and if that is the unlock method again the leaker may not have had enough time, especially given there are so many other new modes these days, and getting info on the new modes is much easier than grinding VS mode on the chance that Mewtwo or someone else may be locked behind playtime. Most people say Mewtwo is the or nearly the last character they unlocked, so the point is still valid even if not entirely factual.
I kind of cheated Mewtwo out of Melee... I plugged in 4 controllers and slept. Woke up and bam. New challenger approaching.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I went the 700 Vs matches route. Of course I did that in 3 hours because I played 1-stock supper sudden death with max knock back.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I think I probably had the best luck of anybody when I first played Melee.

I purchased a memory card and controller from a 2nd hand store and had Melee waiting as I'd already bought the game a while before from eBay.

Put in the game, fully expecting to have to go through the whole process of unlocking every character... and instead I find the entire roster available. I thought I was doing something wrong lol.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'd like to make a list of reasons why Mewtwo will be back. Please add to the list if you have a good point, make sure I notice it so I can update the list.
Points for Mewtwo's return
1. He's iconic, unique, a legendary PKMN and very popular
2. He is playable in Melee (secret character)
3. Many want him to return to Smash
4. He was suppose to be in Brawl+++
5. He was in the latest Pokémon movie
6. He would fit in Pokkén Tournament and that would be a good link to Smash
7. Mega evolution: he was the first to be revealed as a mega evolution, it would fit in with Lucario, and especially Charizard who also has two versions just as Mewtwo has.
8. He was in PKMN X/Y
9. There were 6 PKMN in Brawl and in Smash 4 there is currently 4 (5 counting Jigglypuff), and with the fact that this roster is the biggest yet, meaning there is more room for more PKMN. Not to mention the fact that PKMN is Nintendo's second biggest franchise.
10. Sakurai's coy comment when asking about Mewtwo: "We are thinking about it".
11. There are at least 2-5 more characters to be added that we don't know about in order for the character select screen to make sense.
12. The possibility of DLC characters
13. Sakurai is a troll, he probably wants us to think he's not in it so the surprise will be greater.
14. He's playable in Project M
15. Smash 4 has a lot of "clones", with the time to create these there surely would be time to bring Mewtwo in this time. Also the return of characters like Toon Link and Lucario points to the fact that less worthy characters are back as well as Mewtwo.
16. Simply... Dr. Mario
17. ?
4. He was suppose to be in every Smash Brothers. Planned in 64, playable in Melee, planned in Brawl, probably planned in SSB4 & 5
5. Correction, Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction doesn't have Mewtwo in it. That was July 19 2014 this year. Mewtwo was in the last movie though.
14. Project M is a mod & was not developed by Nintendo themselves. But Nintendo knows about the game, so they notice.
15. Abstaining for wanting to argue with your 15th point about less worthy characters, because frankly that's wrong.
17. I can help you out here. Sakurai wants unique qualities in the game, & who better than a character like Mewtwo who can use a darkness-based elemental type of attack & his tail to fight with. Lack of darkness excluding Greninja's Dark-type, with only :4robinm:'s Nosferatu, & :ganondorf:'s move-set. Tail attacks were only used by :4charizard:, :4diddy:, :4fox:, :4pikachu:, & mostly :4yoshi:as the most popular tail-fighter. :falco: & :squirtle: from brawl used tail attacks too but are un-confirmed or are practically de-confirmed.

EDIT: Because Mewtwo is psychic-themed, & Lucas in on verge of being cut, Mewtwo's psy nature & type would be the spiritual essence for the missing & possibly gone Lucas PSI user.

@Omnireader I'm not sure if you have the unique quality trait point for Mewtwo in favor of the lack of Darkness-attacks & Tail moves, but if that's anywhere in your wall of points, I apologize.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
What do you just plug them in and put on an infininte time match????

PROBABLY GUARANTEED!!!
Nope, Plug them in and put the game mode to stock. preferably 4 stocks for each.

However most stages have hazards now so that might be a little harder to do :p

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't it be epic to have a trailer where Lucario and Mewtwo fight and they both get the final smash at the same time and transform to Mega to keep the fighting going only to be stopped by Jigglypuff :D

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wouldn't it be epic to have a trailer where Lucario and Mewtwo fight and they both get the final smash at the same time and transform to Mega to keep the fighting going only to be stopped by Jigglypuff :D
Yes.
This has been needed in the history of Smash Brothers making since 2008, except without MEvo's because obviously weren't developed yet until 2013.
But yes. This would finally make people get over the Lucario hate they have for a character. . .

Hype of all hype matches:

:4lucario: VS :mewtwopm: FIGHT!

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Uhhh guys...
Sakurai just said something about the Pokémon

"@Sora_Sakurai: 浜松町はポケモンセンターがあるのでこうなりました。“@Junichi_Masuda: ポケモンだけのポスターあるんだ!RT @bestpartner11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー帰りに浜松町駅で発見! http://t.co/3hvucwOcq0” "

I google translated it(I'm sorry) and got this

It became this way because there is a Pokemon Center HAMAMATSUCHO :Sora_Sakurai. " The ! Discovery http://t.co/3hvucwOcq0 at Hamamatsucho Station to the way home Junichi_Masuda Poke Sen Toukyo !:: RT @ bestpartner11 I have a poster of the only Pokemon Junichi_Masuda"

With a pic of Lucario, Pikachu, Charizard and Greninja

The one flaw with this is Jiggs so Sakurai could be trolling us again.
PLEASE BE TROLLING US.

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
Great idea:150:
And Jigglypuff use sing to stop them

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh guys...

"@Sora_Sakurai: 浜松町はポケモンセンターがあるのでこうなりました。“@Junichi_Masuda: ポケモンだけのポスターあるんだ!RT @bestpartner11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー帰りに浜松町駅で発見! http://t.co/3hvucwOcq0” "

It became this way because there is a Pokemon Center HAMAMATSUCHO :Sora_Sakurai. " The ! Discovery http://t.co/3hvucwOcq0 at Hamamatsucho Station to the way home Junichi_Masuda Poke Sen Toukyo !:: RT @ bestpartner11 I have a poster of the only Pokemon Junichi_Masuda"

PLEASE BE TROLLING US.
I don't get it :p

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Uhhh guys...

I have a poster of the only Pokemon Junichi_Masuda"
PLEASE BE TROLLING US.
I would speculate that what Sakurai said would be closer to "I have a poster with only pokemon" ie an all Pokemon fight, rather than those being the only pokemon in the game.

Although with Google translate he could easily have said "When Shrek joins the melee Ridley is a pokeball"

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
I would speculate that what Sakurai said would be closer to "I have a poster with only pokemon" ie an all Pokemon fight, rather than those being the only pokemon in the game.

Although with Google translate he could easily have said "When Shrek joins the melee Ridley is a pokeball"
True

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Uhhh guys...

PLEASE BE TROLLING US.
I'll get my Japanese friend to translate, I think that's bull if it's the 'only' Pokemon

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
I think the 3ds version will not include Mewtwo.
But then... one month before the Wii U release: a direct about the Wii U version with the new modes and 5 new characters!(including Mewtwo) The 3ds Version get a free update for the 5 characters.
I think that will happen because there are 5 potential slots left and its great to hype the Wii U version.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
But then... one month before the Wii U release: a direct about the Wii U version with the new modes and 5 new characters!(including Mewtwo) The 3ds Version get a free update for the 5 characters.
I think that will happen because there are 5 potential slots left and its great to hype the Wii U version.
This would not surprise me in the slightest. And if that would be our only hope i would be okay with it

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
No. Sakurai said the 3DS and Wii U versions have the same characters.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
No. Sakurai said the 3DS and Wii U versions have the same characters.
Technically false. Characters as a general category, the WiiU will have more AT characters than the 3DS. It's old news but if IC's who had or may still have issues with the 3DS, why can't we just have a couple of WiiU character exclusives? How else would the WiiU get character hype from playable fighters if they'll have the same roster?

Simple answer is DLC.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
At least one of these 5 must be in the base game (All star was still locked). They probably all are.
IF DLC is a thing then it will probably go the MK8 route of adding an extra row.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Guys I translated the japanese tweet. Hamamatsu City Pokemon Center because this way now. "@Junichi_Masuda: got a poster just Pokemon! RT @bestpartner 11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー return to Hamamatsu-Cho station found!

He found a SSB4 pokemon only poster at Hamamatsu-Cho station in Japan!

So Mewtwo is still not deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Guys I translated the japanese tweet. Hamamatsu City Pokemon Center because this way now. "@Junichi_Masuda: got a poster just Pokemon! RT @bestpartner 11: @Junichi_Masuda ポケセントウキョー return to Hamamatsu-Cho station found!

He found a SSB4 pokemon only poster at Hamamatsu-Cho station in Japan!

So Mewtwo is still not deconfirmed.
*whew*:shades:

No lie, but only 4 pokemon would be a huge outrage of fans outcry to 7 Mario fighters, & only 4 Pkmn?. . . .

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Thew,

Also I had an idea that there will be DLC added that's teased after the 3DS version releases and becomes patched into the game the day Wii U releases, that will build hype for the Wii U version without excluding content.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I also translated this... https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/506351126120108032

Day one appeared in hero Riki, assist trophies and the last 切りふだ! Assist if the "ヨロコベ" also 'itadak', has multiple effects. BTW, overhead assist trophies and Pokemon into the player cursor

... This one I don't understand? wait wait wait is a pokemon going to be an assist trophy?
The translation is already on Sakurai's collect Pics of the Day:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/pic-of-the-day
And making a pokemon an AT would break all logic. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Because you know, Pokeball summons & AT's do the exact same thing. Pokemon should stay in their pokeballs.:shades:
Except ofc the confirmed fighters::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::4pikachu:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom