• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't think it'll happen, but it is wishful thinking.

If it were to though, I'd see it as an easy way to help buff his moveset. I agree that it would look ridiculous outside of the context of the manga, but briefly summoning it for various attacks I think is a reasonable compromise that makes sense.

Ex. Replace his Forward Smash, Down Smash, F-Air, U-Air, with it, and have it as apart of the obvious Psystrike FS (which is arguably based on it).

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Anything holding a giant-*** spoon is going to look ridiculous. And the 'go-to representation of mental might' is a giant eating utensil? Whatever you say, man. Also, since when does Mewtwo have a beer belly? You sure we're talking about the same Pokemon, here?
The beer belly is the side-view of his left hip / leg.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
That is a bummer. But you can just install hom-- @ SaucyDancer SaucyDancer has you covered.

By that event, then your likings are Melee. I have nothing to debate about, it's your subjective opinion, so I respect it.

The animations for his D-throw tail smacking is cool.

His D-tilt skate-like 360 spin tail sweeping was believably cool, at the time.

His F-tilt, not to borrow a Lucario aspect, I feel could be something darkness-related like Lucario's Aura F-tilt. Good poking & shield pressure move, something I can see Mewtwo do very well rather than hitting someone with his tail in front of him, it also just looked he threw it out there as a move on a whim, to me anyways.

His U-tilt at the time was cool-looking since he practically does a levitating backward flip lashing his tail in an arc above him, getting a huge buff in Project M being too cheezy & turned me off, for being too impressive of a anti-air tilt. If Mewtwo got a tail move for his future U-tilt, it needs to be balanced between his Melee's & PM's frame data & hit-bubbles.

His Bair just seemed "meh" when using it, making a weird SFX when used & hitting someone, wagging his tail behind him is underrating his strong muscular tail's potential to do more than that kind of knock-back, sorta like his PM Bair.

& finally his U-air which I'm okay with staying, was more of a combo stringing move in Melee anyways as other Uairs were also. I'm content with it's return or a re-vamped Uair emphasizing his Darkness elemental type of move.
I've kind of turned my Wii into a retro game machine. The GPU was going even before the disc-drive died, so the disc-based games look like **** anyway. Might look into it, though.
I don't know what there is to agree or disagree with. I just thought his tail attacks were cool, and think that some of them should be kept. Not all, some.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

If it were to though, I'd see it as an easy way to help buff his moveset. I agree that it would look ridiculous outside of the context of the manga, but briefly summoning it for various attacks I think is a reasonable compromise that makes sense.

Ex. Replace his Forward Smash, Down Smash, F-Air, U-Air, with it, and have it as apart of the obvious Mega Mewtwo Y FS (which is arguably based on it).
Fixed, but I'm not sure how the Mega Evolution every Pokémon that has one does in this game is based on the Psychic spoons...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I just thought his tail attacks were cool, and think that some of them should be kept. Not all, some.
Agreed. Granted they should have more knockback to them, but they weren't a major issue with the moveset: it's the arm attacks that were.

Fixed, but I'm not sure how the Mega Evolution every Pokémon that has one does in this game is based on the Psychic spoons...
It could happen if it was Mega X, but I severely doubt that Mega Y will appear, at least as another transformation FS like Mega Charizard X due to hitboxes.

The spoon is made of psychic energy to do physical damage, and was a concept from before such attacks came about in the games. That's my main reasoning. :p

Steelia

Smash Champion

Ex. Replace his Forward Smash, Down Smash, F-Air, U-Air, with it, and have it as apart of the obvious Psystrike FS (which is arguably based on it).
Isn't the spoon not actually a big metal spoon, but a concentration of intense Psychic energy manifested in the shape of a spoon? So it would probably have a cool sky blue aura to it and not be metallic at all. Mewtwo'd will it into existence for an attack, then it'd immediately fade away in a little puff of psy-smoke or something.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
It could happen if it was Mega X, but I severely doubt that Mega Y will appear, at least as another transformation FS like Mega Charizard X due to hitboxes.
Except we can only really infer that Lucario's FS is controllable. Mewtwo Y could very well be Super Sonic-style invincibility for ten seconds while you fly around crushing everything under the weight of your mind.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's funny how we're all in a debate when we somehow all agree and have similar ideas. :laugh:

Isn't the spoon not actually a big metal spoon, but a concentration of intense Psychic energy manifested in the shape of a spoon? So it would probably have a cool sky blue aura to it and not be metallic at all. Mewtwo'd will it into existence for an attack, then it'd immediately fade away in a little puff of psy-smoke or something.
Pretty much what I had in mind. Gives Mewtwo more range and knockback on his attacks while keeping the tail attacks in tact for combos. Given there is an emphasis on visuals now it'd be a great match.

That said, I still doubt the spoon will happen. On the other side, however, Psycho Cut like motions are something I'm putting money on should Mewtwo make it in.

Except we can only really infer that Lucario's FS is controllable. Mewtwo Y could very well be Super Sonic-style invincibility for ten seconds while you fly around crushing everything under the weight of your mind.
The former comparison is definitely not going to happen. The latter though, is the only real way I see Mega Y working bar a brief transformation directly into an attack like Ganon.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Meh, I still have a hard time believing Lucario's FS is his mega evolution. Given his new mechanic. If MMY is in the game, I'd think it would be a non-FS transformation. Though if it is, it's gonna be unique.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Meh, I still have a hard time believing Lucario's FS is his mega evolution. Given his new mechanic. If MMY is in the game, I'd think it would be a non-FS transformation. Though if it is, it's gonna be unique.
Nope, Sack of Rice said transformations were out back when we got Zero Suit and Sheik as separate characters. If you see a Pokémon's M-Evo, odds are vastly in favor of it being the FS.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Nope, Sack of Rice said transformations were out back when we got Zero Suit and Sheik as separate characters. If you see a Pokémon's M-Evo, odds are vastly in favor of it being the FS.
Yeah, but Lucario's new mechanic requires you to fulfill certain requirements to power up, so the mega evolution could be an exception. Much like Little Mac's KO punch. To be fair, Shiek and ZSS were completely different characters. Mostly basing this on how Sakurai demonstrated it during the Direct, could be wrong :)

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
M-Lucario doesn't technically fall into that transformation category, though...? If it's like people speculate (Lucario goes Mega when at max damage %), his body changes form... but his moveset remains completely intact. When Sakurai said transformations were out, we're talking about drastic transforms like Samus-to-ZSS, Zelda-to-Sheik, or 'Trainer. Even Bowser-to-Giga Bowser have some differences, mostly in how they move/run. Lucario-to-MLucario, complete clones, only differ in design.

Something like Mewtwo-to-MMY... Their body designs are too different to make them clones, so if that's a FS transformation that'd make sense.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Eisendrachen Eisendrachen
@ ORVO5 ORVO5
@ Steelia Steelia
What are you all doing discussing about Lucario for in the Mewtwo Thread? Shame on your guys, I'm telling on you all to Master.:troll:

It's been decided in the Mega Evolutions mechanics thread aobut Lucario / Mega Lucario that we need more footage / game-play of it to know full well what it is & how it will proc, whether through AB%, or what.
Steelia's post about definite changing transformations that alter move-sets & change animations, cannot be compared to Lucario's animations & moves remaining the same even when Mega Evolving.

So like Steelia's post above, Mewtwo getting a FS being Mega Evolution being the promotion idea, It would happen. Or both X & Y MEvos<3

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

***THIS IS FAKE***
but seriously nintendo where the **** is mewtwo like i mean wow you replaced a legendary for stupid lucario

=(

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
This is more or less what I was thinking, though I didn't know it was a manifestation of psychic energy. I like the idea way more now. Like maybe a forward smash reminiscent of Peach's own forward smash or of a generic home run bat smash but with a glowing, blue, ethereal spoon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

***THIS IS FAKE***
but seriously nintendo where the **** is mewtwo like i mean wow you replaced a legendary for stupid lucario

=(
Despite that fake showing, the awesomeness displayed in front of my eyes speaks volume.
Little knit-knacks I don't like from that picture is the alck of muscle in the thighs / legs. But they're reasonably sized.

But please refrain from saying nintendo replaced one for another. Lucario is not stupid =(

Only other legendaries I can think of being playable are Mewtwo, resized Regi, Genesect & Deoxys however they're confirmed pokeballs already.
So yeah, legendary status wise, not much can seem playable without a loooooot of effort & work put into the idea being plausible.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

***THIS IS FAKE***

=(
I don't mind much for Lucario but I'm definitely Mewtwo > any other pokemon. And my goodness this ^ looks amazing. I want to find out soon! At the latest we have about a month left.. though we'll probably find out sooner than later.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

***THIS IS FAKE***

=(
"sigh", Lucario wasn't meant to replace Mewtwo. They were both supposed to appear in Brawl together but Mewtwo was cut due to time constraints.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
If people are going to blame anyone for Mewtwo's exclusion from Brawl they should blame Sonic as development was halted on a number of characters so he would be ready for release

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
If people are going to blame anyone for Mewtwo's exclusion from Brawl they should blame Sonic as development was halted on a number of characters so he would be ready for release
We should blame Mario for Mewtwo's exclusion! Stupid Mario, I can't believe they replaced a legendary Pokemon for a fat plumber!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd rather blame SSE, but thinking back on how much fun I had with SSE's Boss fights & collecting stickers powering my characters up with + stats plus trophies exclusively from SSE. But it felt drawn out after awhile, plus they had Boss Battles mode in Brawl, only after beating SSE though.

Btw yes I did have fun with SSE, without Mewtwo.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looking at these recent posts, let's try to avoid a blame game please.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I wouldn't really mind the spoon (although I would prefer he not use it), as long as they can retain his "badass" feel as I exposed earlier in a post. I think his Down-Air, Neutral Air, Back-Air, Down-Tilt, Down-Throw, Up-Throw and Back-Throw should remain exactly the same. They all give Mewtwo a great feel for me. I think his smashes could remain the same, but I wouldn't mind if they were changed to something that looks and feels good. His free-fall animation should also remain the same. Basically I don't mind an overhaul of Mewtwo's moves as long as they keep his badass emotions and those moves I listed I think are the ones that better show off his cockyness.

I also think his Side-Special and Down-Special should be changed. I think they should stick with Side-B's concept but buff its range, damage and knockback and allow Mewtwo to decide which direction to knockback you to (Also make it actually reflect projectiles instead of just redirecting them). Basically it would serve to be sort of like "psychic", where he would make you tumble shortly in the air and then send you flying in a direction, like a long-ranged grab and throw. His Down-B could be changed to a completely new move. Maybe it could be the barrier he uses in the movies. Activate it once and you get a shield, activate it again and Mewtwo dashes forward (think of a mix between Falcon Kick and Fox Illusion). It would work sort of like Megaman's leaf shield, where you could use it to block 1 projectile or you can use it to ram your opponent. It could also be Psycho Cut maybe, or make Psycho Cut his new Side-B and make that new "psychic" style move his Down-B. (Yes, I know his throws are technically "Psychic" btw).

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I wouldn't really mind the spoon (although I would prefer he not use it), as long as they can retain his "badass" feel as I exposed earlier in a post. I think his Down-Air, Neutral Air, Back-Air, Down-Tilt, Down-Throw, Up-Throw and Back-Throw should remain exactly the same. They all give Mewtwo a great feel for me. I think his smashes could remain the same, but I wouldn't mind if they were changed to something that looks and feels good. His free-fall animation should also remain the same. Basically I don't mind an overhaul of Mewtwo's moves as long as they keep his badass emotions and those moves I listed I think are the ones that better show off his cockyness.
I feel for you about keeping moves the same or changing it up as long as his awesome attitude is intact, but I can't help but over-exaggerate when you say 'exactly the same'. If you're talking about his exact Melee move-set, then I have passionately disagree with keeping all of his moves exactly the same implying you mean the animations, hit-boxes, frame data, start-up, active, & ending frames, Mewtwo's already late behind not playing in Brawl for any insight to look past on, except his Project M re-vamp which did justice, but not made by Sakurai. However no worries since Sm4sh is giving fighters more character development adding in expressions, visual facial features, & more. This ties in with Mewtwo before in Smash Bros. looking cool, cocky, & being a badass, emphasizes even more on those aspects & his nature. He could use an overhaul.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I feel for you about keeping moves the same or changing it up as long as his awesome attitude is intact, but I can't help but over-exaggerate when you say 'exactly the same'. If you're talking about his exact Melee move-set, then I have passionately disagree with keeping all of his moves exactly the same implying you mean the animations, hit-boxes, frame data, start-up, active, & ending frames, Mewtwo's already late behind not playing in Brawl for any insight to look past on, except his Project M re-vamp which did justice, but not made by Sakurai. However no worries since Sm4sh is giving fighters more character development adding in expressions, visual facial features, & more. This ties in with Mewtwo before in Smash Bros. looking cool, cocky, & being a badass, emphasizes even more on those aspects & his nature. He could use an overhaul.
I guess my "exactly the same" was more in terms of animation and even then its an exaggeration. I wouldn't mind one of the moves I listed being changed as long as the new move feels right and goes with Mewtwo's nature. The only move I truly never want to see go is his neutral air, I love that move to death.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Lately, I've been thinking how awesome it would be if the last prerelease trailer featured Mewtwo and was released on Sept.1st...the day of a certain incident that took place on Cinnabar Island...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I guess my "exactly the same" was more in terms of animation and even then its an exaggeration. I wouldn't mind one of the moves I listed being changed as long as the new move feels right and goes with Mewtwo's nature. The only move I truly never want to see go is his neutral air, I love that move to death.
Animations wise, I can agree. And for N-air not wanting to be replaced as do I, I'm very fond of Mewtwo's Electric force-field hit-box. How would you feel about Mewtwo's N-air not retaining the electric attack with the said SFX, but instead replaced with a Darkness-based attack that worked the same as his old N-air?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Animations wise, I can agree. And for N-air not wanting to be replaced as do I, I'm very fond of Mewtwo's Electric force-field hit-box. How would you feel about Mewtwo's N-air not retaining the electric attack with the said SFX, but instead replaced with a Darkness-based attack that worked the same as his old N-air?
I'd be fine with that. What I like from N-Air is the properties it has quite honestly. Plus its a fun move to use in game.

Damn I really hope Mewtwo is in the game >.<.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd be fine with that. What I like from N-Air is the properties it has quite honestly. Plus its a fun move to use in game.

Damn I really hope Mewtwo is in the game >.<.
Let's hope, though if Mewtwo's in the game I only want 2 likely choices because forget Mewtwo being a pokeball or nothing at all:
1. He's playable in the game's roster, or through via DLC.
2. He's one of the Bosses you fight in the new classic mode, preferably a pokemon-themed boss, like when going through the mode choosing different locations on the web map your final destination when playing a Pokemon, Mewtwo would be that final boss.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Let's hope, though if Mewtwo's in the game I only want 2 likely choices because forget Mewtwo being a pokeball or nothing at all:
1. He's playable in the game's roster, or through via DLC.
2. He's one of the Bosses you fight in the new classic mode, preferably a pokemon-themed boss, like when going through the mode choosing different locations on the web map your final destination when playing a Pokemon, Mewtwo would be that final boss.
Screw bosses man. It's just a way to put a wanted character in the game without going the extra mile, it's like a slap in the face. There were two big, Ridley-sized slaps in the face in Brawl, as well as that horrifically modeled Mewtwo trophy, that seemed to me to say, 'Hey, remember that cool character you used to like to play as? Well, too bad! Here, have this ugly as sin trophy instead!' *slaps*

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Screw bosses man. It's just a way to put a wanted character in the game without going the extra mile, it's like a slap in the face. There were two big, Ridley-sized slaps in the face in Brawl, as well as that horrifically modeled Mewtwo trophy, that seemed to me to say, 'Hey, remember that cool character you used to like to play as? Well, too bad! Here, have this ugly as sin trophy instead!' *slaps*
Can't argue with that one. The trophy only was a huge slap in the face but it was due to time restraints mostly from SSE, & a little bit from Sonic, but I won't be pointing fingers I had fun with Brawl's roster without Mewtwo. But the wait is long over & I wanna see what's to come of his whereabouts. I addressed the Boss idea because it'd be the next best thing for him if he was to get no credibility in Sm4sh other than more trophy treatment, & that's worse than anything.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Lately, I've been thinking how awesome it would be if the last prerelease trailer featured Mewtwo and was released on Sept.1st...the day of a certain incident that took place on Cinnabar Island...
As evidenced by February 6th and all of Mewtwo's movie anniversaries in July, Sakurai gives no damns for those kinds of dates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom