• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But Mewtwo's not a Villain!
He was portrayed villainously in Melee, and in general Mewtwo is portrayed as being a rather violent Pokemon. I think he'll be treated like a villain if he returns.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Haha, there was a long debate about this not so long ago in this thread. I don't think he is, but the general public sees him as one :)
See, the correct term for describing non-game Mewtwo barring Femtwo is anti-villain. Except in Movie 1 where he was an omnicidal maniac. But even then he's misunderstood and tortured, so it's akin to that guy from Rise Of the Planet Of The Apes.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
See, the correct term for describing non-game Mewtwo barring Femtwo is anti-villain. Except in Movie 1 where he was an omnicidal maniac. But even then he's misunderstood and tortured, so it's akin to that guy from Rise Of the Planet Of The Apes.
More like an Anti-Hero to me!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
More like an Anti-Hero to me!
Anti-Hero applies after Movie 1 into Mewtwo Returns. To a lesser extent Femtwo is an Anti-Hero because she doesn't want anything to do with humans and is reluctant to save any of them, but she fits the hero archetype much more than Bartlettwo or Dantwo.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
He was portrayed villainously in Melee, and in general Mewtwo is portrayed as being a rather violent Pokemon. I think he'll be treated like a villain if he returns.
This

He was in the Final event match with Giga Bowser and Ganondorf, and it was considered the final battle vs the evil characters. That tells me that no matter what he is in Pokemon in Smash he is a villain.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This

He was in the Final event match with Giga Bowser and Ganondorf, and it was considered the final battle vs the evil characters. That tells me that no matter what he is in Pokemon in Smash he is a villain.
Because the ones deciding the adaptation traits are biased towards villainy :troll:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
But his portrayal in melee was mostly to hype up the fact that Mewtwo was super evil in the movie and for them to have another villain in the game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
But his portrayal in melee was mostly to hype up the fact that Mewtwo was super evil in the movie and for them to have another villain in the game.
Super Smash Brothers Melee: / December 3, 2001

Mewtwo Returns: December 5, 2001 in the United States

Make of this what you will.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Super Smash Brothers Melee: / December 3, 2001

Mewtwo Returns: December 5, 2001 in the United States

Make of this what you will.
That is a very good point, so in that case if he does end up in Smash 4 will he be considered a villain(Bowser, Ganondorf) or anti-hero (Wario, King DeDeDe). I think he will still be considered a villain even though like you guys mentioned he is more misunderstood.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
If all newcomers have trailers then that means this game will have less characters than the last with no secret characters right?Like MK8 I think were going to know everything before sep 13th.So Mewtwo will be in the game and we will know about it before release.Since I remember sakurai saying we've reached roster limits but that was like a year ago so idk now.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I would be fine if we get any of the Mewtwos as long as he/she/it is treated like a anti-hero from its recent portrayals.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
If all newcomers have trailers then that means this game will have less characters than the last with no secret characters right?Like MK8 I think were going to know everything before sep 13th.So Mewtwo will be in the game and we will know about it before release.Since I remember sakurai saying we've reached roster limits but that was like a year ago so idk now.
Sakurai also said he's still "looking at characters" at E3 this year. Whatever that means.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sakurai also said he's still "looking at characters" at E3 this year. Whatever that means.
See, looking at characters implies that Sakurai has loaded images of characters and is looking at them :troll:

Source?

Also, he probably means clones :troll:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Yeah I thought we were having about the same amount of characters as Brawl, because Sakurai had said there won't be as many characters but it seems like we will have at least 50-55.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Well, I'm surprised the discussion about Mewtwo was brought back despite his depth as a character overall already decided, but hey that'd be really lame if our fingers were chopped off for bumping old discussions so fire away. He was a pure hero, then became a villain, finally becoming neutral / good. He's not anti-hero now because he doesn't struggle with doing the right thing. Femtwo I won't discuss because that's a different mewtwo & frankly imo not better than Dantwo.

But Mewtwo will probably get that treatment in Smash Brothers since he wields Darkness attribut type attacks.:ohwell:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Do you guys think they will reuse Mewtwo's Voice Clips from Melee?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you guys think they will reuse Mewtwo's Voice Clips from Melee?
I imagine they'll remaster them or provide clips that are similar, and it's what I'm hoping for. I'm much too fond of his sinister Melee laugh to be content with a set of Voice Clips that doesn't include that or just doesn't sound as sinister as his Melee tracks.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I did not play the Japanese version, I was mostly alluding to his grunts. However, after looking it up, his voice sounds epic even if I do not understand him.

His star K.O. is the most amazing thing ever. The only star K.O. ever that actually makes me laugh(Link's is pretty comical too). It's probably because his voice is so serious. Also. I really like the sound of the Shadow Ball as it's charging.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I did not play the Japanese version, I was mostly alluding to his grunts. However, after looking it up, his voice sounds epic even if I do not understand him.

1:34 - 1:37
Everyone should of learned to respect THAT noise. Never met someone who didn't respect that sound. That's the sound of a move that can cause your stock to be blown off the screen. Which btw is another Smash element I hope they bring back.
All of his japanese voice clips sound great. But I agree with most here that his laugh & Star K.O. should return altered if needed.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
So if Mewtwo does return, do you think he will get a new voice, or will they reuse Melee's?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So if Mewtwo does return, do you think he will get a new voice, or will they reuse Melee's?
I honestly prefer voiceless Mewtwo lest we get Femtwo or something, but should the need for a voice come, I'd go and immediately hire someone like Travis Willingham or anyone with a badass baritone.

Daran Noris jk lol :troll:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
If we get original Melee Mewtwo back, I would love to hear Masachika's voice return, but I would also love it if we got Mewtwo actually saying something in English this time. In my version of Melee, they cut out any of his taunts that had spoken dialogue, and the PAL version doesn't even include the option to switch to Japanese. :(

Kinda like with Falco going 'Mission Comprete.' lol

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hasn't Marth had the same VA/been reusing the same voice clips for the last... 13 years? If he could go that long, they could easily recycle most of Mewtwo's clips and maybe add a few new ones in the mix. Sort of like what they did for Ness, Falcon, Sheik and others in SSBB.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So, dat Femtwo hype
Hasn't Marth had the same VA/been reusing the same voice clips for the last... 13 years? If he could go that long, they could easily recycle most of Mewtwo's clips and maybe add a few new ones in the mix. Sort of like what they did for Ness, Falcon, Sheik and others in SSBB.
Really? Huh...wow...

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
See, looking at characters implies that Sakurai has loaded images of characters and is looking at them :troll:

Source?

Also, he probably means clones :troll:
http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

“All of the characters you see here and pretty much all of the characters that we’re still looking at have… were all decided right at the very beginning of development. And Pac-Man… that includes Pac-Man. These were characters all listed on our roster at the beginning of our development process… So, yeah, I mean, if we were waiting to pull something out of Pokemon X or Y, I mean, we would have had to have like this open slot just to see, so that’s… that wasn’t an option for us.”

“Oh, well, actually what they did is they said “You know, hey, here’s our… our Pokemon slot,” and then they said “let’s make sure that we have that and then we will fill it in.” However, if we decided at that point to wait for [the release of Pokemon] X and Y we would not have made it in time.”

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think that just means "still looking to finish in the future months". I mean he does go ahead and say: "were all decided at the beginning" right after that.

Also @ Steelia Steelia can I steal your Mewtwo gif in your signature? :p

Also, just to give out my opinion: I really hope original Mewtwo's voice comes back in this game. I am not even a small fan of Femtwo, I don't like what they did with her. But overall, I don't care if Mewtwo is portrayed as a villain or an anti-hero, what I truly NEED is that he still is portrayed as a total badass. Melee made sure to make Mewtwo have a personality, you could see it reflected in all of his attack animations, he was extremely cocky and I loved it.

He wouldn't use his hands for attacks, he would even look away when flicking his tail foward. He would fold his hand as he did a full 360 and then kicked downwards or as he flicked his tail behind him (he would even fold them as he free falled unable to move!). He would close his eyes as he was throwing tail swipes. His up throw also showed how little he cared about his opponent as he made the opponent circle around him just for fun before finally throwing him. And his down throw was just demeaning to his opponent.

All of his attacks made it look like he was playing with his opponent, as if he deemed his opponent much weaker than him, and it made him feel powerful (even if he was total crap moveset-wise). I really hope they can capture that feeling again.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I think that just means "still looking to finish in the future months". I mean he does go ahead and say: "were all decided at the beginning" right after that.

Also @ Steelia Steelia can I steal your Mewtwo gif in your signature? :p

Also, just to give out my opinion: I really hope original Mewtwo's voice comes back in this game. I am not even a small fan of Femtwo, I don't like what they did with her. But overall, I don't care if Mewtwo is portrayed as a villain or an anti-hero, what I truly NEED is that he still is portrayed as a total badass. Melee made sure to make Mewtwo have a personality, you could see it reflected in all of his attack animations, he was extremely cocky and I loved it.

He wouldn't use his hands for attacks, he would even look away when flicking his tail foward. He would fold his hand as he did a full 360 and then kicked downwards or as he flicked his tail behind him (he would even fold them as he free falled unable to move!). He would close his eyes as he was throwing tail swipes. His up throw also showed how little he cared about his opponent as he made the opponent circle around him just for fun before finally throwing him. And his down throw was just demeaning to his opponent.

All of his attacks made it look like he was playing with his opponent, as if he deemed his opponent much weaker than him, and it made him feel powerful (even if he was total crap moveset-wise). I really hope they can capture that feeling again.
Well Said Raykz, Sm4sh has further proven that characters can get intensified expressions & the characters acting & caring with their own integrated emotions. By what I've noticed, :4bowser::4dedede: & :4lucario: all have very expressive facial looks & reactions to getting thrown or hit. I believe.

D

Deleted member

This

So Dedede and Meta Knight are evil?
Dedede takes Mewtwo's place in the (semi) Final Event Match for Brawl with (regular) Bowser and Ganondorf and the three are joined by Meta Knight, Wario, and Wolf (all anti-heroes) in the (semi) Final Co-Op Event Match.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So Dedede and Meta Knight are evil?
Dedede takes Mewtwo's place in the (semi) Final Event Match for Brawl with (regular) Bowser and Ganondorf and the three are joined by Meta Knight, Wario, and Wolf (all anti-heroes) in the (semi) Final Co-Op Event Match.
For Smash and Sakurai (who decided everything), yeah.

Seriously, if we make this (useless) separance between anti heroes and villains in Smash, we have just Ganondorf as a playable villain (and maybe not even him, after HW). Bowser is an ally for Mario in a lot of games (without counting the Kart/Tennis/Golf ecc. series). Man, even K. Rool had played baseball with DK!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For Smash and Sakurai, yeah.
Yet...Sakurai was the one who established the "does something that seems evil but is really doing something good" characteristic of Dedede (which is shown in the SSE) and had Meta Knight assist Kirby as well as challenge him in his debut to prepare him for facing Nightmare. While following Dedede's orders on keeping a piece of the Star Rod, which was for a good reason.
Sure, Meta Knight did attempt to take over Dream Land in Super Star, but he was trying to do some good through very extreme measures (end the laziness of the people so they've better equipped to act when danger comes), making him an Anti-Villain in Super Star.

And in Smash, it was because of Dedede's actions that Tabuu was able to be defeated (well, and Sonic's assault). Meta Knight was also a key player against the Subspace Army. Though his warrior nature got him into a couple fights (Marth, Lucario, almost Snake). Whereas you got the real evil characters Bowser and Ganondorf on the Subspace Army's side as well as "I do whatever the Hell I want" Wario doing whatever the Hell he wants which merely happened to be beneficial to the Subspace Army.

To say they are evil to Smash and Sakurai is saying you haven't really played through the Kirby games Sakurai did or the SSE.

Last edited by a moderator:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
But see, they started development at arounnd 2012. At E3 2013 he said he's "considering" Mewtwo/MMY to be in. So.. something's going on.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
But see, they started development at arounnd 2012. At E3 2013 he said he's "considering" Mewtwo/MMY to be in. So.. something's going on.
I'd rather want to believe they started development late 2011 just for the time in between 'till now to make more logical sense. That source saying they started development right after KI:U's release was. . .May 2012 right? With a game such as Smash Brothers with a predicted roster size of 50+ characters & all of the extra new content coming into the games, I don't want to believe it only requires 2 years & 6 months let alone for the same title for WiiU & 3DS / 2DS.

The proof of him saying that while laughing about it doesn't exactly make it solid as a reply either.:p

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'd rather want to believe they started development late 2011 just for the time in between 'till now to make more logical sense. That source saying they started development right after KI:U's release was. . .May 2012 right? With a game such as Smash Brothers with a predicted roster size of 50+ characters & all of the extra new content coming into the games, I don't want to believe it only requires 2 years & 6 months let alone for the same title for WiiU & 3DS / 2DS.

The proof of him saying that while laughing about it doesn't exactly make it solid as a reply either.:p
Yeah, gotta hand it to Sakurai for knowing how to be vague.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom