• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fµlly Nëw Chàrácter Archive

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
well, if you had read even the page you were posting on, you would have seen several posts where we told people the Sonic characters aren't playable. They have 24 bones, you need at least 29 to work on an Alloy, tails simply doesn't work.
Personally I believe it's possible with what we have now... there has to be something we're missing that could be screwed with using the tools we have now. There is always a way around. I wish I really knew enough to find out what can be done, but I really don't. I'm usually right when it comes to nagging suspicions about stuff like this, though.

humble

Smash Ace
Personally I believe it's possible with what we have now... there has to be something we're missing that could be screwed with using the tools we have now. There is always a way around. I wish I really knew enough to find out what can be done, but I really don't. I'm usually right when it comes to nagging suspicions about stuff like this, though.
You could make them articles on a character, then make the character invisible for every frame and use the article on every frame, and give the article animations for the actions the character executes. It would make them a pseudo character I suppose, but it would be tough to do without going over the file size limit.

Razanak7

Smash Ace
Meta Ridley has 106 bones, you could have done him over pretty much anyone except maybe rob. Did you even test him on a normal character?
I did, on Mario and Bowser. Neither worked.

If you swap over olimar you'll have to deal with his pikmin. Pick someone without shenanigans like tethers and junk.
I would only use Olimar because I don't like him and could care less if he's there or not. :p

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any of the animal crossing models?

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
You could make them articles on a character, then make the character invisible for every frame and use the article on every frame, and give the article animations for the actions the character executes. It would make them a pseudo character I suppose, but it would be tough to do without going over the file size limit.
That'd be a pain and not the solution I had in mind.

Something within the .PAC checks the amount of bones in the model, which would lead to a freeze (otherwise it would be a problem with the game trying to animate a non-existent bone, which could be solved by deleting excess bones in the animations). Can't we change how many bones it looks for? Maybe not as easy as opening BrawlBox and changing a value, but it has to be possible. I doubt Nintendo would hard-code a check like that into the game engine other than to ask the file in the .PAC if everything is A-OK.

Pichu_815

Smash Apprentice
Animal Crosser! Forgot about that guy...! Someone has GOT to try him out..!
Out of curiosity, I went into the first of the stage's 5 pac files. It contained models for 3 'boy' characters and 2 'girl' characters, which all have 33 bones. So did a character named 'Masutaa' (no idea who that is). Also of note was the model for what looked like K.K. Slider, which unfortunately had only 17 bones. Almost all of the background character models had less than 20 bones, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get any of them to work.

humble

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, I went into the first of the stage's 5 pac files. It contained models for 3 'boy' characters and 2 'girl' characters, which all have 33 bones. So did a character named 'Masutaa' (no idea who that is). Also of note was the model for what looked like K.K. Slider, which unfortunately had only 17 bones. Almost all of the background character models had less than 20 bones, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get any of them to work.
The three boy characters and the 2 girl characters might work, did you test them?

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
Awesome Turtwig.

Open the pac of the character you are putting Dialga on top of, and find out what the bone ID of the TransN bone is, then, open your pac with Dialga imported over it. Find the bone with that bone ID (For Dugtrio, it was randomname_RotN, which is unsed anyways)

Treat that bone as if it were TransN! There is no need to rename the bone as long as that same ID moves correctly. Give it a go and let me know how it goes/if you need more help.

EDIT: You might get a problem where he teleports directly to the end of the animation. If you get this, put 0 as the value for frame 1, and once your last frame is keyframed, go through and keyframe ONLY THE Z movement of the values in between. It takes a few minute, but it will solve the problem.
Can someone please explain to me what N64billy was talking about a bit clearer, I don't understand...

humble

Smash Ace
Can someone please explain to me what N64billy was talking about a bit clearer, I don't understand...
Go into the alloys .motion, and find the Bone ID for the alloys bone called TransN. Then open the .motion you are using for dialga, and using the Bone ID number you got from the alloys TransN bone, you look at Dialga's bones until you see one with that same number. Then in PSA, when for the original characters movements used TransN, use the bone which has the same Bone ID for Dialga instead, so that it works in the same manner.

Razanak7

Smash Ace
Go into the alloys .motion, and find the Bone ID for the alloys bone called TransN. Then open the .motion you are using for dialga, and using the Bone ID number you got from the alloys TransN bone, you look at Dialga's bones until you see one with that same number. Then in PSA, when for the original characters movements used TransN, use the bone which has the same Bone ID for Dialga instead, so that it works in the same manner.
Yeah, that has nothing to do with PSA... the only time that would come into play would be if you were using the Momentum event for the movement as opposed to a bone.

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply. I'll try it in a bit... check out my dialga running animation, I based it off a cheetah. This is my first "major" animation. Anyone like it?

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
I love you :D It worked.

I have a question now, when dialga runs, the animaition doesn't play all 42 frames. Is there a way I can make it so that it does? Thanks :D

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
I'm still having trouble wit his running in game. Not all 42 frames play. Under the run sub action in psa, I deleted all the coding and add a synchronous timer that waits 42 seconds. Didn't work. Any ideas?

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
Is Dialgas body itself not bendable? That looks very stiff. Pelvis and Back should move independent, more fluent, you know?

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty cool =)

Just curious, how do you guys make gifs of your animations?
I used camtasia studio to record the animation and saved it as a avi file. The used a program call VidGIF to convert the avi to a gif.

Here's squat. The gif skipped some frames, so it looks choppy I think.

EDIT

How does everyone feel about this one. I really like how I got the head to move back and forth, but I think there is too much animation and that his... wings? are distracting.

Thunderspam

Smash Journeyman
In response to what was said earlier, I did in fact try Animal crossers a long time ago. The Boys and Girls work, although have no animations. They do have quite a few bones though, so animating them wouldn't be that hard due to their lack of detail (No fingers or little annoying joints for the most part). I didn't test them that much, but they worked over all the Alloys I am pretty sure, and they might work on some of the lower bone count characters.

n64billy

Smash Ace
I'm still having trouble wit his running in game. Not all 42 frames play. Under the run sub action in psa, I deleted all the coding and add a synchronous timer that waits 42 seconds. Didn't work. Any ideas?
I tried saying before, but I'll say it again.

Say that for the run animation, Dialga moves forward to 35 (In the Z feild)
Make sure that frame 1 is set to 0, and your last frame (42 in your case) was 35 or something

Keyframe each frame after that, no matter what the value is. I'll show you what the frames for Dugtrio look like.
Frame-Z movement
1-0
2-1.458333
3-2.916667
4-4.375
5-5.833333
6-7.291667
7-8.75
BLA
BLA
BLA
23-32.08334
24-33.54167
25-35
Hope that helps

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
I tried saying before, but I'll say it again.

Say that for the run animation, Dialga moves forward to 35 (In the Z feild)
Make sure that frame 1 is set to 0, and your last frame (42 in your case) was 35 or something

Keyframe each frame after that, no matter what the value is. I'll show you what the frames for Dugtrio look like.

Hope that helps
I see what you're saying, and I think I found my problem. Frame 21 is a keyframe... is there anyway to remove it? I tried the clean button, but not everything was "De-keyframed" :p.

LSDX

Wah!
Not sure if it's been asked before, but can PSA's be made from the models of trophies?

~:bowser:

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Not quite. They can be made articles and loaded on stages though.

ALSO, anyone who makes animal crosser gets a cookie :3 I recommend yellow or green alloy

Awesome Turtwig

Smash Journeyman
I sorta fixed the running animation problem. Now dialga moves after all 42 frames... that's another problem.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Turtwig, first look at the original character you are swapping over. Find the BoneIndex of TransN, this is you new "TransN" - even though it may not move your new character in Brawlbox, it will move it in Brawl.

What we are looking at here all refers to Translation Z: got to the last frame of the animation you are fixing. In TransN, copy the value to you clipboard, then change it to 0 and press Clean. On the new "TransN", keyframe frame 1 as 0, then go to the last frame and paste the copied value.

If you leave it as it is, it may be messed up in the game. So keyframe every frame between 0 and the last frame on your new "TransN."

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I'd at least make a few animations for Animal Crosser if I knew what to rename his bones.
I got bored so i swapped the model with yellow alloy. I didnt rename any bones, or swap any textures, but i switched wait 1, run, and walk animations and it loaded. It was all black (no texture) and had that snapback walk glitch that some models had, but it loaded ok. It froze a few seconds into the match, but i think it was a lack of animations.

Top Bottom