• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extremely Annoying Nightmare Things

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Link to original post: [drupal=2446]Extremely Annoying Nightmare Things[/drupal]

So recently over the past year I've been having incredibly disturbing and grotesque nightmares while I sleep. Pretty much incredibly horrifying... When I wake up I'm usually dripping in sweat.

I've also had multiple night terrors in which I am being suffocated by a demonic being that is bringing me to hell. I've also had the grim reaper come at one. I've been burnt, covered in spiders, etc.

The strange thing is I am in no way terrified of these things when I'm awake; they're silly things. Yet, even though I'm aware of the fact that it is a dream, I am still terrified to the bone of them.

Any thoughts?

Borozan

Smash Rookie
Well, dreams are just our memories being fragmented, or in other words, memories that we have being put together in odd scenes. If you get the same dream multiple times, well, your brain is keeping a hold of it, or it is you personally thinking too much about it.

Your best ways to get rid of them are thinking of the cause of them, changing routines you do at night, like if you have dinner right before bed, start eating earlier. Also, at last resort, go to your doctor and see about medications, or maybe therapy.

I got a handful of information at this site: http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-nightmares/, so you could check that out too.

arch knight

Smash Lord
Supressive fears that are being released from your sub conscious when you sleep.
What did you eat or do before falling asleep?

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
My nightmares are just stupid. I had one where I was watching a youtube video that happened to be a screamer. I wasn't scarred, i was jus irritated.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
@ Borozan, I'll check that out. The nightmares I can deal with, the night terrors are debilitating to my sleep though.

@Archknight... It's always work then sleep for me.

@ Joseph. I eat quite healthy and I don't watch scary movies since they bore me. I don't find them scary... Also, I'm not afraid of much while awake...

I know what my problem is, I really just don't want to take any medication for it. I'm pretty sure it's linked to the fact that I get less than 6 hours of sleep a night, but I don't have much control over that.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Tiger, I deal with night terrors and have been for years, there's nothing I can really do for them so I just wanted to let you know if you needed somebody to empathize with your situation I can relate.

Mine's triggered from suffering from BPD but I've had to get checked out for it because I used to have the bad reflex of biting on my tongue etc when I slept. Night terrors mean that when you wake up you still can't separate the dream from reality, when I wake up if someones died I call them until I hear their voice on the phone no matter the time.

So basically what I'm saying is if your night terrors are truly legit and you think they're more then just a nightmare, see a doctor.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Tiger, I deal with night terrors and have been for years, there's nothing I can really do for them so I just wanted to let you know if you needed somebody to empathize with your situation I can relate.

Mine's triggered from suffering from BPD but I've had to get checked out for it because I used to have the bad reflex of biting on my tongue etc when I slept. Night terrors mean that when you wake up you still can't separate the dream from reality, when I wake up if someones died I call them until I hear their voice on the phone no matter the time.

So basically what I'm saying is if your night terrors are truly legit and you think they're more then just a nightmare, see a doctor.
Thanks. It means a lot.

I sometimes run down the stairs half asleep trying to escape this black-hooded creature, until I realize that it isn't real. At that point I've woken up my roommates and they get me to relax.

I have talked to my doctor/professor(I'm in premed) and it is caused by my insomnia. I have a low tolerance for sleeping medication though, as it clashes with my asthma/allergy medication...

At this point I'm pretty much at a loss for what to do, but I am perfectly fine while I'm awake.

D13

Smash Ace
Have you tried listening to relaxing music before you fall asleep? It's a thought.

The closest I've had to a nightmare is finding myself naked in a public area...

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Have you tried listening to relaxing music before you fall asleep? It's a thought.

The closest I've had to a nightmare is finding myself naked in a public area...
LMAO! I've had that one before. Care to share the circumstances?

In mine, it was on national tv in order to win free bananas for a year. Yup.

As for relaxing music, I also haven't tried that one. I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so I'm usually up into the wee hours of the night doing work. :laugh:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Try confronting whatever's chasing you in your dreams. It's scary, but if you're aware you're dreaming, you can excercise a massive amount of control over everything that happens if you learn to stay calm.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Try confronting whatever's chasing you in your dreams. It's scary, but if you're aware you're dreaming, you can excercise a massive amount of control over everything that happens if you learn to stay calm.
Last night I did confront it, however "it" still was burning me. I knew in my head that this can't be real... but I was still shaking. Maybe it's because its the first time I didn't run?

Thanks for the advice.

Ive had these a lot lately. Take some kind of sleep aid, it usually knocks you out hard enough so you don't (or aren't aware) of your dreams.
Ah it sucks doesn't it? Do you remember your 'demon' ?

And sleep medication clashes with my other medications... I can't.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Ouch =/

yeah. Zombies type things usually.
My dreams are usually midway zombie apocalypse, and its always a gruesome ending.

wouldn't be so bad if they were mixed in with other dreams, but they aren't, lol. If i dream, thats all i'm getting.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Ouch =/

yeah. Zombies type things usually.
My dreams are usually midway zombie apocalypse, and its always a gruesome ending.

wouldn't be so bad if they were mixed in with other dreams, but they aren't, lol. If i dream, thats all i'm getting.
Oh, that's interesting. I've never had anything zombie related... it's always a satanic being like in the Exorcist or something. Lots of fire... :urg:

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people are taking a Freudian-ish approach to this and are telling you things like confronting the person behind your nightmares. I'd much rather look at this neurobiologically.

I remember that whenever I got nightmares, I was sick. Your physical health directly affects your mental health. I'm assuming this would also impact your sleep and dreams.

Despite what you said, something could be missing from your diet- get some multivitamins and see if that helps.
You said that you're getting 6 hours of sleep a night. Lack of sleep could be a cause. Why aren't you getting any sleep? Being overworked and stressed could be a reason as well.
My last tip after all of that would be to get more exercise.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
For the past few years I have either horrible nightmares, or nothing at all. A few good dreams, but I usually find that my nightmares are composed in way that reflect upon the things I ignore in life. They reflect in how I treat others, large amount of stress, life at school, family, broken dreams, compressed feelings but usually when I solve my life problems the nightmares go away. Well all but the ones that I feel reflect upon my emotions, and broken dreams. I remember finding a site somewhere that had small definitions of what certain things in your dreams can mean. Example Grim Reaper, and I found the site. It might help it might not

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

Has anything happened in the past year that you might hold regret towards?

Just saying what I think of the situation

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Oh, that's interesting. I've never had anything zombie related... it's always a satanic being like in the Exorcist or something. Lots of fire... :urg:
At least you stop being afraid once you are awake. I dont know whats wrong with me. Im not afraid of the imminent zombie apocalypse either but stuff like the exorcist scare me like hell even when i am awake. Heck its actually a little bit embarrassing. Im 14 years old but im kinda still afraid of the dark. I am not really scared of some of that ******** "monster under the bed" crap. Its just when im in a certain place at a certain time i feel deathly afraid for no reason... I once dreamt I was being visited by something made of fire and blood and i couldnt stop screaming 20 minutes after i woke up.. its very very embarrassing.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
A lot of people are taking a Freudian-ish approach to this and are telling you things like confronting the person behind your nightmares. I'd much rather look at this neurobiologically.

I remember that whenever I got nightmares, I was sick. Your physical health directly affects your mental health. I'm assuming this would also impact your sleep and dreams.

Despite what you said, something could be missing from your diet- get some multivitamins and see if that helps.
You said that you're getting 6 hours of sleep a night. Lack of sleep could be a cause. Why aren't you getting any sleep? Being overworked and stressed could be a reason as well.
My last tip after all of that would be to get more exercise.
It is true that recently I haven't been taking care of my health, in terms of sleep. And the cause is already pretty much pointing to insomnia.

As for why I can't sleep? That I don't know yet. I get really stressed out though.

As for exercise... I'm a gym freak. :)

For the past few years I have either horrible nightmares, or nothing at all. A few good dreams, but I usually find that my nightmares are composed in way that reflect upon the things I ignore in life. They reflect in how I treat others, large amount of stress, life at school, family, broken dreams, compressed feelings but usually when I solve my life problems the nightmares go away. Well all but the ones that I feel reflect upon my emotions, and broken dreams. I remember finding a site somewhere that had small definitions of what certain things in your dreams can mean. Example Grim Reaper, and I found the site. It might help it might not

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

Has anything happened in the past year that you might hold regret towards?

Just saying what I think of the situation
Thanks for the input, but these terrors are almost irrelevant to my life lol. I don't currently hold any regrets that I haven't held since 5 years ago.

You could try sleeping with a flame-retardant blanket and a religious artifact under your pillow.
Lol. I'm an atheist :laugh:.

After a few minutes after waking up I realize everything and it all ends up being silly. I'm also not afraid when I go to bed, or at any time leading up to that.

At least you stop being afraid once you are awake. I dont know whats wrong with me. Im not afraid of the imminent zombie apocalypse either but stuff like the exorcist scare me like hell even when i am awake. Heck its actually a little bit embarrassing. Im 14 years old but im kinda still afraid of the dark. I am not really scared of some of that ******** "monster under the bed" crap. Its just when im in a certain place at a certain time i feel deathly afraid for no reason... I once dreamt I was being visited by something made of fire and blood and i couldnt stop screaming 20 minutes after i woke up.. its very very embarrassing.
You should get it checked out by a doctor. Don't worry, you're not alone. There are plenty of people STILL afraid of the dark. Everyone has their demons... whether it be ants, bees, or zombies.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Last night I did confront it, however "it" still was burning me. I knew in my head that this can't be real... but I was still shaking. Maybe it's because its the first time I didn't run?
One step at a time.

Do it again and try to control your fear. Since you're in control, visualize and imagine any power you want and you can achieve it.

Shoot lightining bolts at it, use telekinesis on it, fly away and laugh. Whatever it is, try to gain mastery of your state of mind in your nightmares.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
One step at a time.

Do it again and try to control your fear. Since you're in control, visualize and imagine any power you want and you can achieve it.

Shoot lightining bolts at it, use telekinesis on it, fly away and laugh. Whatever it is, try to gain mastery of your state of mind in your nightmares.
Ah I see I'll try that. Usually I'm in a paralyzed state... I can only think mean thoughts at it.

This whole thing seems a lot more humerus when its not actually happening... :)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Transfer the humour to the dream. It helps. :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Attack it with lightning bolts and fireballs.

No I'm serious, you can do stuff like that in your dreams if you can just visualize well enough. After all, dreams are nothing more than a product of your mind.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Are these night terrors reoccurring?
Do they happen every month?

You might actually have some physiological disorder.
(don't actually believe me. Check with some sort of doctor or something)

It could also be something from what you did during the day.
Some movie or some actual activity?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Are these night terrors reoccurring?
Do they happen every month?

You might actually have some physiological disorder.
(don't actually believe me. Check with some sort of doctor or something)

It could also be something from what you did during the day.
Some movie or some actual activity?

Very often.

And yes, I probably do. I am diagnosed with insomnia also, which can feed bad dreams/night terrors.

And no my environment is relatively scare-free... and I'm not afraid of much outside of mirrors(uh.. not my choice) and telemarketers.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Very often.

And yes, I probably do. I am diagnosed with insomnia also, which can feed bad dreams/night terrors.

And no my environment is relatively scare-free... and I'm not afraid of much outside of mirrors(uh.. not my choice) and telemarketers.
Night terrors often occur from being overtired (stress-related events) or eating a disordered diet.

You can get psychotherapy for the night terrors, but for I don't know treatment for insomnia...

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Being near mirrors scare crap outta me. its also the most involved thing in my dreams. However, i dont have that kind of concentration to give myself awesome superpowers when im very frightened..

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I used to have dreams like this alot when I was a kid. It really disturbed and heavily contributed to my mental condition until I started taking meds earlier this year. I still sometimes have night terrors though where I'll suddenly wake up and swear to God see/feel/hear vipers in or in the vicinity of my bed. When I do, I usually completely flip out and it takes me a good 5 minutes for my better judgement to settle in. What's weird is that I'm not even bothered by snakes, heck, just the other day I went into another person's apartment two stories down from mine and grabbed a snake by the tail and put it back outside while the other two guys were trying to find an oppurtunity to stomp its head in.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I used to have dreams like this alot when I was a kid. It really disturbed and heavily contributed to my mental condition until I started taking meds earlier this year. I still sometimes have night terrors though where I'll suddenly wake up and swear to God see/feel/hear vipers in or in the vicinity of my bed. When I do, I usually completely flip out and it takes me a good 5 minutes for my better judgement to settle in. What's weird is that I'm not even bothered by snakes, heck, just the other day I went into another person's apartment two stories down from mine and grabbed a snake by the tail and put it back outside while the other two guys were trying to find an oppurtunity to stomp its head in.
Ahh I see. I totally know what you're going through. I'm not afraid of what I see either :dizzy:.

Glad to know its not so rare. :)

Top Bottom