• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exactly why is Fox better than Falco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Ok well first of all the argument is pointless since choosing which space animal is largely a matter of preference.
Actually, most space animal mains, such as myself, are able to play both Falco/Fox competently. It's just that various styles lend themselves to one (Fox/Falco) better than they would the other.

Second of all, I am by no means a leet smash player at this point so u might not want to take my advice at all.
Thanks for the disclaimer :p

That said, I'd say that some arguments that could be made for fox over falco is that his run is faster, that he can jump out of his shine faster, that his wd is slightly more useful due to waveshine combo and how he can more easily combo out of his wavegrab. Obviously his recovery is noticably longer (his Up+b goes btw 1/5 and 1/4 longer than Falco's I think)
Kinda. Better recovery is major, and so is his ability to kill better in general. They can both combo all characters relatively well.

But I would say that my favorite argument for why Fox is 'better' than falco is that playing him takes a slightly higher level of technical skill mostly due to his 4-frame window for his short hop compared to Falco's 6-frame window.
For most this isn't the case.

Still it's totally preference.
In terms of matchups and virtually all other aspects, Fox is better than Falco.

That, and the ability to kill at 0%, and have a reliable killing move (upsmash), and to be more fluid in general with jumps/movement is a big plus.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Thunder's combo, u-smash, u-throw gayness, u-air, gimping potential, better recovery, speed.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Better recovery, faster, infinite shines, waveshining, all smash attacks kill, shine can kill at 0%.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Silent Wolf isn't COMPLETELY frame perfect.

:<

I'm just being an ******* haha.

Skylord

Smash Apprentice
Fox actually does not fall faster than Falco. Fox has greater falling-speed acceleration than Falco. Falco, however (as well as CF), has a higher max falling speed.
Even if Falco ultimately falls faster, for most practical purposes Fox does. When being chaingrabbed and combo'ed, what matters is the falling speed of the first fractions of a second.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
As a :falcomelee: main. I'm going to defend him, but I don't want to be biased. I play both characters, and I did a lot of research which is better. You see, a lot of people say speed > power usually that is the case, but in falco and fox it isn't

Falco exchanges speed for Range and Power, usually that generally means that he loses a lot of his combo capability but it's quite the opposite, falco is MORE combo heavy than fox, not to mention the majority of his attacks are more powerful than foxes, and more reliable. Not to mention falco's RAW KO ability is incredible, he also has A SLEW more ways to KO in MULTIPLE directions. Horizontal or Vertical.

Last edited:

j a y c e

Smash Rookie
As a :falcomelee: main. I'm going to defend him, but I don't want to be biased. I play both characters, and I did a lot of research which is better. You see, a lot of people say speed > power usually that is the case, but in falco and fox it isn't

Falco exchanges speed for Range and Power, usually that generally means that he loses a lot of his combo capability but it's quite the opposite, falco is MORE combo heavy than fox, not to mention the majority of his attacks are more powerful than foxes, and more reliable. Not to mention falco's RAW KO ability is incredible, he also has A SLEW more ways to KO in MULTIPLE directions. Horizontal or Vertical.
this is some SERIOUS gravedigging

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
this thread is seven years old. do you know how much smash has changed in seven years lol
Apologies that its 7 years old, but no need to say that I am gravedigging. I am still deciding myself which one to play as, fox or falco. And even in the end I probably will still play both of em, however I am not used to fox's normal falling speed, it seems to quick for me.

j a y c e

Smash Rookie
Apologies that its 7 years old, but no need to say that I am gravedigging. I am still deciding myself which one to play as, fox or falco. And even in the end I probably will still play both of em, however I am not used to fox's normal falling speed, it seems to quick for me.
He is the fastest faller in the game lol..

Nyxx

Smash Rookie
Fox is faster and that's literally the only reason. Now I think that makes him a better character by a large margin because movement is so important in this game, but at most everything else they're tied. Falco has a better overall neutral tool with lasers and his dair is more threatening since he can combo off it even if it hits in the air. Fox's recovery is better, but you should be dead anyway if you're offstage as a spacie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom