• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution (EVO) 2k7 SSBM Qualifier in Austin, TX March 10-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.C

Smash Master
i hope theres more single elim tourneys with no seeding/rules in the future

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

wow evo has no idea how to run tourneys

jotun

Smash Ace
most of the problems were due to limitations put on them by SXSW: single elim to fit into the time slot, and no microphones allowed

how could they do seeding? they had nothing to base seeds on

the thing about replaying a tie match was ******** though

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
4. some guy other than me that used ganondorf
That was me.. It's hard trying to get the techs down since I didn't practice, so I had to adjust somehow. I wanted to ditto you in Austin, Jotun, but I didn't know what you looked like and etc..

The match with Wobbles for 1st place were stale. I will not say alright or exciting. I shouldn't state 'why' now, since most of you seen the match and previous posts in the thread.. ;/ .. I know I posted in the Inf. Grab Thread and said "just don't get grabbed", but that **** didn't work with me. And if someone wants to say I should've counter picked, I'm not ear for it right now. But now I know and will be ready for any tactic like that again.

DoH beat me pretty bad also. But those matches were fun. Props for a good peach! But next time I play the dude, I will be alot better than today.

And good fights to all the people I played. I pushed my self and so did the other players and I respect that. And overall, Evo was fun with lots of experienced players - minus the brackets lol.

reqy

Smash Journeyman
most of the problems were due to limitations put on them by SXSW: single elim to fit into the time slot, and no microphones allowed

how could they do seeding? they had nothing to base seeds on

the thing about replaying a tie match was ******** though
I was so exhausted after that match. Having to concentrate for almost 30 minutes straight was pretty bad. What were the time lengths of the matchup? 6-6-8-6 minutes? I believe like 3 matchups took place on the TV next to us by the time we were done.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I'm in my hometown now, with free (for me) drinks and food. I played all day (literally) Friday and Saturday before leaving. I came home today, the day of EVO, where I later saw 300 for $4.50 at the second cheapest cinema in the country. I've got Fig Newtons right now.

Gas for getting home: $20
First home-cooked meal in two months: $0
Not getting infinited to death by the ICs: Priceless

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
That was fun, I really enjoyed EVO, learned a thing or two....

But like everyone else is saying, they need to learn how to set up a SSBM tournament. It was the most unorganized thing ever. They basically need to steal the MLG system.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Shoutouts!

Caveman: I have been looking forward to playing you for ages, and I'm glad I finally got to.

Smiles: Up-airing trashcans FTW!

Mr. C: I really wanted to play you and I never did :( I'm sure we will one of these days, and since I'm in TX for a while I'm sure I'll have the opportunity.

Richard: YOU ARE A BEAST DUDE. Your Kirby was on top of its game and that was one of the toughest matches of my freaking LIFE. I salute you and it was a privelege to buy you IHOP.

JF: We played once and you picked Zelda. I wanted to play your Puff or Falco or something! Oh well, there will be other chances yeah?

Rob$: The penguin gives you power. Remember this.

Drew: That was the scariest car ride I've ever been in. We are now closer friends for having survived it.

Chang: See above. Oh, and IM me the animes we were talking about, maybe send me an episode; I value your recommendations.

DoH: You have nothing but props from me man. Way to make it to 3rd, thanks for going through crap to get me to the tournament, thanks for bringing me, Drew and Chang home alive. That was a crappy car ride and you are a soldier and I salute you sir.

XZalla: I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the finals. I just played my hardest and used my best tactics :( It was good to play you though, and I enjoy having faces to go with forum names. Friendly me at the next tournament we both attend ^_^

Jotun: I did other combos too.

Artarian: Thanks a lot for housing me and DoH. I appreciate it: you and your roomate's hospitality is TOP-FREAKING-TIER dude. There were some things I learned in our friendlies that helped me in the tournament as well, so thanks a lot for that too. Also tell your roomate (Matt?) that he is a cool dude and I encourage him to join in on the competitive scene :) He's getting a good start, and if you've got Chang to teach you you can't go wrong!

G@be: You owned my Pikachu. Owchies mang, that was a painful ditto. Good to see you.

I know I'm forgetting people and I'm really really sorry to everybody I don't shout out to. I can't wait to see you all at the next TX tournament.

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Were there any EVO regulars that randomly signed up for the game and surprised people by placing high or were all the high places taken by well known smashers? I'm wondering if the majority of people there were just EVO people that signed up for SSBM for the hell of it maybe because they thought it was a nooby game and they could beat everyone.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Great meeting you guys
JF
Wobbles
MrC
Fear
The samus player from the Valley
THE CHIN PLAYER <---YOU ARE BEAST NO SHIELD NO WAVEDASH NO TECH LOL

But other than that I thought the tournament was horribly organized.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Shout outs

Xzalla - your a beast! and you got a good bracket you a hole... but you get to go to veags and i dont. plus you got 4th your a beast and thats all that needs to be said.... Xzalla = best in Houston

TGM

Smash Lord
XZalla got 4th.................................true signs of a horrible tourney. no offense xzalla

Mr.C

Smash Master
ya wobbles we will play soon! =]

and people need to quit complaining about the inf grab.
personally I think its gay but it was allowed in this tourney meaning wobbles had every right to use it.

in future tourneys where the inf isnt banned and you have to face up against wobbles you should already know its going to happen lol wobbles perfected this ****, its part of the game and intill its banned you cant do anything about it. lols

grats to everyone at the tourney <3

TGM

Smash Lord
anyoe have vids of any of the fights.....

i really want to see rob$ and xelic vs the kirbykid

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Haha TGM I was right behind them watching those...Rob$ and I were talking about who was going to win between KirbyKid and Smiles >_>. Those matchs were amazing and fun to watch :).

I don't have time now but I will post shoutouts later.

Short shoutouts- Good to play everyone.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
The Kirby matches are divided across three digicams at the moment. I saw someone recording the Smiles matches, didn't catch his name. I got the last match of the Rob games and the first two of the Fox. FireGod has the last (and best) best with the Fox on green greens.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Dyse made it to the tourney, brought Fear. SURPRISE!!! Lol nobody thought I was coming. Me, Smiles, and Fear got lost in Austin's streets looking for the stupid underground parking garage. Ran into MC. Good times. Caveman beat a pro Halo chick in Halo.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Look when the ICS inf grab was discovered I stated that it should be banned. Much consideration was given to banning it but in the end they left it unbanned. IMHO it should be banned. Actually I beleive if enough small tournies ban it then other tournies will follow suit.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
This was not a very good tournament, but a very fun trip!! :p I cannot believe the results. Even though i argued in the other thread that the IC infinite shouldnt be banned, I changed my mind. I find it very very cheap and cant believe caveman is down $500 because wobbles got some grabs on him...but whatever, it WASNT banned, so it's fair. Wobbles, you were a really nice person though and it was nice meeting you (and getting fourstocked by you)

Shoutouts:

Changsta-*sigh* you are probably the person I least wanted to play, but i suppose that's how things go :) and good job almost taking out cave

Coach-thanks for the nametag!!!! It's what i really really wanted and I finally got one thanks to you

Dyse-it was cool hanging out and becoming BFF! ;p

Smiles, Rob, Cave, Zulu-you guys never get on smashboards so you get to share a shoutout. This was lots of fun! Sorry if my driving was scary. Too bad it was single elimination...I know all four of you would have placed super high

MrC, Fear-cool hanging out and good to see you guys

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Man, sounds like an awsome tournament. Too bad I got stuck deliverying pizzas ! And got prank by an , I.C Weaner ! Ive been waiting to use this john for awhile. I would have won if i had went ! >.>

Sorry ragna, I had to work So I couldnt go either. The 1st place winner joke about ICs grabs was very funny. I guess wobbles have proved that he could win without it in miny tounrys, So I have the upmost respect for you wobbles. But I do wonder and im sure many other people do too. If you would have manage to pull off the win Without it. It would be something if you didnt use it in the next big tourny, And still manage to win. Just to prove us all wrong.

Edit: Wow * Seeing forkgirls messages *..........

artarian

Smash Journeyman
pretty ****ty tournament, organization wise. otherwise, pretty fun day weekend. got to house DoH and Wobbles, who are welcome back anytime, thanks for staying with me, it was very fun! unfortunately the tourny was not run well at all, terrible bracket organization, people getting DQed 80 times and then people getting their places changed "cuz they knew their opponent" or something.....odd stuff. i dont care too much, but i would have liked to play more than one match in the tourny, unfrotunately i was not good enough to beat Caveman in my first match, lol. all in all, it was free, and i live in austin, so i cant complain. it was a good weekend, and thats about it.

props to Richard being the craziest most awesome Kirby ever.

Wobbles and DoH, again, thanks for staying with me, you guys are welcome back anytime!

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
the big asian guy should've DQed himself(from running EVO ever again) for being so obnoxious with the bracket work on the "left bracket"

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Now that the tournament is all done and over with, please take ongoing discussion to the appropriate thread in Tournament Results, once one is created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom