• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evolution (EVO) 2k7 SSBM Qualifier in Austin, TX March 10-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Evolution presents the Southern U.S. Qualifier, featuring the games listed at the following URL: www.evo2k.com

Evolution 2007 Southern U.S. Qualifier Information for SSBM-

Entry: Free

Date: March 10 - 11

South by Southwest (SXSW)
900 Barton Springs Road
Austin TX 78704

The tournaments will be held at the ScreenBurn Arcade

Pot: $1000

http://www.evo2k.com/south/

Rules

Super Smash Brothers Melee

* Game version: Nintendo Gamecube
* Game Settings: VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
* The stage for game 1 will be selected at random unless both teams can agree on a stage.
* No stage may be used twice in a versus battle.
* After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
* Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

Housing Information:

The following people currently need housing:

Group 1: RiceBurner, GreyFox, Rock, King, Ryuujin, JuJ, Banzai, and Mager (8 people)
Group 2: Bluezaft and company (? people)
Group 3: Sethlon and company (8 people)
Group 4: TGM, Mouf, Riot, SideEffect and Forward (5 people)
Group 5: Forkgirl, Crystal City (5 people)

Current housing assignments:

<list currently empty>

dcx1287

Smash Lord
EVO is the new MLG. It's important to show them that they made a good decision by garnering a large smash turnout for this qualifier.

EVO has sponsors that add money to their pot. That's huge.

G@BE

Smash Lord
So what should we do about HOST2 if anything someone needs to get in contact with Allan right away so we can get to know whats going on.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Host 2 got TGM combo'd.

Valley will be at EVOsouth. I agree with DCX. support this one. If TGM moves his up a month or so he could Very well still have a good turnout. Also TGM can show up to this and compete without having to worry about running a tourney. If I was TGM i would see this as a good thing Smash gets a big sponsor, and texas gets a big tourney with gauranteed OOS. From the west, south, mid west, east and possibly some international players(smashers). So yeah win win situation.

jotun

Smash Ace
I'll be going to EVO over HOST for sure.

1. free
2. better for smash's growth
3. i can get my *** kicked in 3rd strike
4. it's in austin
5. it's free
6. more noobs to stomp

reqy

Smash Journeyman
Have Host2 the week after? 2 large tournaments at the beginning and end of spring break sounds very intriguing.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
i have to say, living austin has become even more enjoyable....it was already great when i found out about awesome smash players and guilty gear players, but now a free awesome tourny, this is gonna be sweet

FalseFalco

Smash Master
There is no such thing as 'the new MLG'. They didn't drop smash, but they should with all the disrespect floating around.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
um....ok then, FalseFalco.

Anywho, this tournament is more important for Smash's future than HOST2. Gotta show Dallas' support.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
FalseFalco, you're a few thousand miles south of the correct regional forum. ;)

Evo has been around for far longer than MLG and has always been the big name for fighting games, while MLG has geared itself noticably toward HALO and other shooters.

I think this is a great opportunity for SSBM.

I will say I agree with FalseFalco about one thing tho, Evo is not the next MLG, Evo has been bigger than MLG for a long time. No need to compare the two as if MLG is better.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
At this current rate, I might go to EVO instead of HOST2 if I had to choose. Free entry supposedly, I might be able to get a ride with someone who is going for a different fighting game...there isn't a good reason to go to HOST2 right now. :ohwell:

Plus you get to see a couple REALLY good players in other fighter games. And you get to mess around in other games if entry is completely free...

On a side note, I wonder if MLG ruleset will be used. I would think so, but there hasn't been any official announcement of rules, so...

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
zomg I'll get to see some of the GG pros I used to hang with (sorta) again! <3

I wonder if they'll remember me? xD

jotun

Smash Ace
Getting there should be tons of fun.. I think ridiculous isn't a good enough word for the parking during SXSW

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Virtual Fighter 5 will probably have like 4 people total who know what they are doing and the rest will be scrubs who don't. I'll enter and win, you'll see. Button mash victory! :laugh:

Also, I suggest this topic be stickied, yes? :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
ZOMG, Wii Boxing is the last announced event. This is so HILARIOUS that I'm already there. :laugh:

Also, sticky?

EDIT: Haha, too bad it wasn't true...

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hey bluezaft, are you carpooling to Austin by any chance?

I will pay for gas, food stops, and grant giant hugs (or refrain from hugging, whichever you prefer) to whoever will drive me down :)

For the record, I'm in Plano again. Probably for quite some time.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
There is no such thing as 'the new MLG'. They didn't drop smash, but they should with all the disrespect floating around.
Do you mind directing to me all this "disrespect" that's floating around on smashboards?

The main topic in smashboards tournament discussion that describes the situation with MLG contains numerous posts of gratitude towards MLG for what it has done throughout the years.

Furthermore, MLG has dropped smash from its primary regular season lineup this year.

I'm well aware that they are sponsoring 4 fan-run tournaments. In fact, I'm almost embarassed that they are doing this because it's overly generous on their part, I think.

Fact still remains, they dropped smash from their main lineup.

In conclusion, your post was incorrect and of all the reactions towards MLG dropping smash from their primary lineup, I'd wager that a majority are positive responses, not ones of disrespect.

One last thing. I use the term "new MLG" very loosely. The term should not be comprehended literally.

I am well aware that EVO will never have prizes as large as MLG did.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Not trying to start a flame war but JF what pros did you ever(sorta) hang out with?
I can think of Titan44, poon, KJunk, and Zand off the top of my head. Unfortunately I never got to see Fubar before he went to japan, and altho he's been back for awhile, I've dropped out of the scene, so yea.

TGM

Smash Lord
Ok well it seems that EVO decided to bust out smahs the same time i wanted too. Since MLG has droped smash from the pro circuit it will only go down hill from there until brawl comes out. EVO is finaly accepting smah in its line up so i guess we should all go to it since we do not know the future of MLG. So i ask that everybody who is going to HOST2 wait one weekend. Go to EVO on the 10th/11th and then go to HOST2 the very next weekend. it is still in spring break.

This really really make sme sad, but EVO is a VERY big deal since it has the potential to be the next mega SSBM/ssbb toureny around.

Please, lets take a vote real quick. If you think HOST2 should be the weekend AFTER the EVO tourney, say it. if you do not agree with that, say what the alternative should be.

Thanks

PS: You cant TGM combo HOST2.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I vote HOST2 be the weekend after. :)

TGM

Smash Lord
where does it say smash is supported? and what game will be played?

MvC2/GG/3rd strike i know for sure

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
http://www.evo2k.com/-main page

Eight games this year: Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Tekken 5 DR, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, Street Fighter II Turbo, Guilty Gear XX Slash, Virtual Fighter 5 (new) and Super Smash Bros. Melee (new)

Check the Player Guide section for overall rules and stuff, but the rules for Smash are listed as coming soon, though it would be safe to assume that MLG rules will be used for the most part. Entry is apparently free, at least for the South qualifier at this point...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow this is amazing...I have to go to this..this might make it hard for me to get all of those Samus's to come to HOST2 though..but as long as we go the next week..it should be good..also Since it will be moved back some some of the people that are going to Cat 3 might go to Host as well.

I have to tell alot of OOS people about the Host date change.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Yeah, I'll take you, Wobbles. I needed some people to fill up the spots in my car.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
yea, put HOST 2 back a week :) I know this must really suck for you TGM, since you've been planning this for forEVER. It's cool that you're so understanding...I'll definitely go to both

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Austin is going to have a Smash tournament which won't be run by a dorm. It's like I'm dreaming, only there are fewer monsters for me to punch to death and probably fewer naked people.

I wonder if we Austin-types can take a bus to within walking distance of this event... I'll do whatever I have to. I'll even stay in my dorm an extra couple of days after they turn off the AC and it gets to around 90 in here and all the cafeterias close and I have to walk everywhere I go instead of being borne aloft by a gaggle of girls lunging toward me in succession so as to form a surging wave of women, like last year.

Everyone campaign to make Fastliketree skip skiing and go to EVO instead.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Wow I have to get that weekend off. I want to go quite badly. The tourny on March 3rd will be good practice, so everyone who goes to that should be prepared. SA players wanna carpool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom