• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO RULESET ANNOUNCED. The ruleset has been updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioGas

Smash Rookie
I think Wario's Final Smash is good, makes him strong and uber fast on his bike (did that once o.O). Landmaster isn't bad, I only knocked out someone once usually with it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Landmaster isn't bad, I only knocked out someone once usually with it.
One with the gun, another carrying them off the screen mid-invincibility frames. Two free kills in a two stock match.

...I think that can be considered bad.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is seriously ridiculous and needs to be changed or else EVO will just have scrubs attending
I'm really getting sick of the term "scrub"... It's used way too often here and I feel like I'm constantly being forced to look down upon people who use items or don't go to tournaments and yet throughly enjoy Smash...

Yes, I know it's off topic but I feel like there has been a rise in antagonism against casual players as of late. Before someone says it, yes, I know this is a competitive forum and I consider myself a competitive player but there is definately more then one way to play Smash Bros.

On topic, I agree with most people in this topic by saying that it really doesn't take that much skill to use items but it does take skill to effectively counter/dodge them. With that being said, I think the truly skilled players would be able to shine in the face of adversity. I've noticed this with Final Smashes. Every Final Smash can be avoided in some form. You can roll dodge away from Kirby's if you time it right, you can jump over Marth's, almost every character can stay in the air long enough to not fall asleep during Peach's, careful dodging can be used to avoid Yoshi's, Pikachu's, and Sonic's, etc.

What people seem to be forgetting is that Smash Balls and Golden Hammers appear much less when there are more items so if it were changed to low instead of medium, it probably wouldn't be very often that they'd even show up in a match. I usually don't play with items but I'm not violently opposed to them as long as it's not pokeballs, hammers, bom-ombs, etc set on high so that attacking regularly is made entirelly pointless. Those are my thoughts on the matter anyways.

*awaits to be flamed into oblivion*

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Rules are not supposed to make lower skilled players be able to compete with better players. (Yes, thats what you meant by "fair" not just for pros) In fact, it should make sure the better skilled players are the ones winning. What you just said defeats the purpose of competitive play.
i was not serious when i wrote that lol. but these rules are stupid and i'd never participate in a evo brawl tourney unless im paid per match XD. :pikachu:

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
happypants, you are a hypocrite. Based on your other posts around the boards, you attend tournaments that do not have items on, so why do you think this ruleset makes sense and is the "correct way" to play brawl tournaments. Why aren't you playing in other item tournaments in St. Louis if you think this is how tournaments should be played? If this is the correct way to play, why aren't you playing like this? You're just a hypocrite.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
happypants, you are a hypocrite. Based on your other posts around the boards, you attend tournaments that do not have items on, so why do you think this ruleset makes sense and is the "correct way" to play brawl tournaments. Why aren't you playing in other item tournaments in St. Louis if you think this is how tournaments should be played? If this is the correct way to play, why aren't you playing like this? You're just a hypocrite.
He was being sarcastic >_>;

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
I can't even tell what's a joke and what's not anymore. This ruleset is just so ******** that I'm assuming its some practical joke. I can't tell whether someone is serious or not anymore on this board O.o

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Yes, I know it's off topic but I feel like there has been a rise in antagonism against casual players as of late
As of late?

Dude, Brawl has been the center of more controversy than most games in the department of Sneering Competitive Player vs Psychopathic Casual Funtimer since Melee first started being played competitively. This isn't news or anything.

As for the list: Wow, you're kidding me. Items? Items are bat**** powerful in Brawl, they must be joking.

Jetire911

Smash Rookie
Tiers Are For Queers.
Tourny tards are always like "NO ITEMS FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION!!!!11!one!!!"
And thats all I have to say about that.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fatmanonice: Certain One Hit KO final Smashes can be comboed into. Also, what are you gonna do when the opponent has a Final Smash if he's ahead? You can't just sit there and wait for him to screw up. He can camp the time away. Final Smashes have invincibility on activation, which means that if you approach, even if you throw out a move, they could just go invincible and kill you.

Not to mention that certain Final Smashes take forever to run out. Even if you manage to dodge every single hit from Volt Tackle, Snake's FS and Super Sonic, they could actually win the match by timing it out using the FS.

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
Tiers Are For Queers.
Tourny tards are always like "NO ITEMS FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION!!!!11!one!!!"
And thats all I have to say about that.
Who the hell cares what you say, you only have 5 posts. You're a disgrace to New Jersey, you shouldnt live in the same state as Mew2King.

Jetire911

Smash Rookie
Who the hell cares what you say, you only have 5 posts. You're a disgrace to New Jersey, you shouldnt live in the same state as Mew2King.
Isnt it a bad thing to quickly judge a person without even TALKING to him or anything?
Its like saying "Oh, your white, I automatically hate you."

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
Kinda like how you're saying Tiers are for queers and tourney players only play FD? Yea man, great job not judging other people without talking to them, I could really learn something from you! Kudos!!

Jetire911

Smash Rookie
Kinda like how you're saying Tiers are for queers and tourney players only play FD? Yea man, great job not judging other people without talking to them, I could really learn something from you! Kudos!!
Its my opinion that Tiers suck and I wasn't trying to really judge anyone.
Ever see Smash Kingdom Melee on Newgrounds?
And I'm not saying tourny players ONLY play Final Destination.
Ever see Final Destination on Youtube?

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
Yea man, great job trying to make a valid and strong point by bringing up Newgrounds! It's funny how the newcomers think their voice is reason. God, this thread is bringing out the worst in everyone!

Jetire911

Smash Rookie
\ It's funny how the newcomers think their voice is reason. God, this thread is bringing out the worst in everyone!
You see thats where you pissed me off. You think just because someones new they dont have any voice in something? It's funny how you were once a newcomer and your voice was heard. Don't think everyone thats knew is worthless, dude.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
When someone with under 10 posts makes a post with such childish generalizations as yours, it's expected that people are just going to assume the rest of your posts are famous one liners such as "any1 who pics martha is gay" or other such nonsense. It's pretty easy to write you off as an idiot.

The number of posts only really matters in the eyes of, well, rational people when the content of the post is absurd. Don't fret though, the one you're arguing with is just a fanboy (not deserving to live in the same state as someone who's good at smash? haha awesome). Seeing as how you two both have Kingdom Hearts avatars, it's only natural you two would bicker.

But yeah, how about them rules? I like basing my tournaments with cash prizes on the "**** happens" policy. It's fun, like the lottery! People love the lottery!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
But yeah, how about them rules? I like basing my tournaments with cash prizes on the "**** happens" policy. It's fun, like the lottery! People love the lottery!
Millions (billions?) play the lottery every month. They probably think millions (billions) will show up to sign up for EVO. I'd like to see what the Japanese players think about this, they're honourbound and most of them are usually more mature than their American counterparts.

Someone should email the top Japanese players of all of the games at EVO and tell them to boycott because of their idiotic Smash rules based on luck.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how our Avatars gots to do with anything.
It could mean nothing...

It could mean everything.

Millions (billions?) play the lottery every month. They probably think millions (billions) will show up to sign up for EVO. I'd like to see what the Japanese players think about this, they're honourbound and most of them are usually more mature than their American counterparts.

Someone should email the top Japanese players of all of the games at EVO and tell them to boycott because of their idiotic Smash rules based on luck.
Maybe they do think like that. I... don't know what to believe anymore.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maybe they do think like that. I... don't know what to believe anymore.
Actually, my theory isn't that far-fetched when you sit down and think about it.

Let's take a look at these rules:
* 99.99% of all Competitive Smash players take offense to these rules and will fight tooth and nail to change them, the majority of them will most probably never consider entering an EVO tourney if the rules stay like this, so EVO obviously doesn't care about attracting Competitive players.
* Even though a lot of Casual players are objecting to them, the rules will attract more Casual than Competitive players, for example, allowing items and Smash Balls (even though the Competitive Scene has already ruled out both, especially Smash Balls).
* 2 stocks / 3 minutes. Why so few stocks? And more importantly, why so little time? To make things move faster.

It can be theorized that they're trying to attract tons of gullible newbies, n00bs, Casuals and randoms (no, the 4 are not the same thing) by making the rules this way. They want as many to enter as possible, so they're sacrificing skill for numbers.

With so many expected to enter, they limit the stock count to 2 and time count to 3 min so that it'll move faster. So fast and easy money.

I think the finalized rules will look a lot like this, only maybe with 3 stocks and more time and maybe banning 75m if people pressure them enough. They'll probably still have items and Final Smashes on and other crap ("It's OK to stall and camp... but not if the organizers say 'That's enough!'" - What the hell is up with this rule?!), though, so they can attract as many players as possible.

EVO is still the joke it's always been, I guess.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That just raises more questions.

How do newbs get so much power to rule other newbs?
Because they're a N00b Authoritae, the Kings of N00bs.

If you're a n00b, who are you going to listen to and follow? The "elitist" people who play with items and Final Smashes off and ban a lot of broken stages or the like-minded who play with items on, Final Smashes on and certain broken stages on?

You want to have fun, you don't like a game that's simply skill-based because, gasp, the more skilled player will almost always win. You want more "variety" and more "chance". You want a quasi-lottery (don't argue me on this, some people have expressed these opinions... in this very thread).

Which tourney to attend? A large one where you have to actually be better than the people you play against to win or one where you might get a Final Smash and just take off 2 stocks with it? Hmmmmm...

Also, strength in numbers.

bottles vs mumbo

Smash Cadet
in a rolled up newspaper by the side of the road
horrible rule set. items should not be allowed in tournaments.

"Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is not prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match." levels in which the terrain can be abused should be banned so i dont know what ur on about

2 stock???? wont even bother to explain how stupid that is

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Well, items on low would be more fair, than on medium, it becomes a chuck fest with anything more, whet people don't seem to realize about hammers is they have a high % chance to back fire. Even good hammers are totally stoppable, for example projectiles, Ikes sword, counters and a bunch of other crap can stop hammers, but if someone gets the bunny hood and a hammer, your screwed.

Furthermore, the official rule list will probably be revised after the first couple major tornements. 75m really is a really dumb stage.

bottles vs mumbo

Smash Cadet
in a rolled up newspaper by the side of the road
]
Because they're a N00b Authoritae, the Kings of N00bs.

If you're a n00b, who are you going to listen to and follow? The "elitist" people who play with items and Final Smashes off and ban a lot of broken stages or the like-minded who play with items on, Final Smashes on and certain broken stages on?

You want to have fun, you don't like a game that's simply skill-based because, gasp, the more skilled player will almost always win. You want more "variety" and more "chance". You want a quasi-lottery (don't argue me on this, some people have expressed these opinions... in this very thread).

Which tourney to attend? A large one where you have to actually be better than the people you play against to win or one where you might get a Final Smash and just take off 2 stocks with it? Hmmmmm...

Also, strength in numbers.
very true. items and broken levels dont make it more fun. all they do is make the fighting irrelivent. reminds me of mario kart with items on frantic. there is no point of racing the first 2 laps because its decided by whoever gets the flukiest item in the last lap. skill makes the game interesting.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
What. The. Fsck.
Are they serious? SF players already look down on smash players, why put salt in the wounds with this crap? Items! On freaking MEDIUM spawn! Wake up Evo, what the hell are you thinking?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, items on low would be more fair, than on medium, it becomes a chuck fest with anything more, whet people don't seem to realize about hammers is they have a high % chance to back fire. Even good hammers are totally stoppable, for example projectiles, Ikes sword, counters and a bunch of other crap can stop hammers, but if someone gets the bunny hood and a hammer, your screwed.

Furthermore, the official rule list will probably be revised after the first couple major tornements. 75m really is a really dumb stage.
Do you know what EVO is? EVO is a tournament that is held once a year. This means that for 2008, the only EVO tournament will be allowing items, Smash Balls, 75m, 2 stocks, etc., etc., etc.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Or consider Olimar's Final Smash. It's an instant KO, because you can't escape it, and when Olimar comes back down and aims for you, you're dead. Cheap attacks.
Lol wut? Olimar's killing blow is pretty easy to dodge most of the time.

Aniki and Ken may never go to another tourney with these rules. :smileythatshowsmysadnessrightnow:
They'd probably still go for the money anyways.

Do you know what EVO is? EVO is a tournament that is held once a year. This means that for 2008, the only EVO tournament will be allowing items, Smash Balls, 75m, 2 stocks, etc., etc., etc.
It's their tournament, they can do whatever they want with it. Honestly if you're that against it just don't go.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Wow....just wow. Items on in a tournament. The hammers and smash balls on in a tournament....this is kind of pathetic for a competitive tournament. Also, two stock and 3/5? Two stock isn't always enough to determine skill level, why not 3/4 stock and 2/3? IMO, that would be much more fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom