• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO Releases 2013 Line-Up & Breast Cancer Challenge!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
[rightw]
[/rightw]EVO announces its official lineup for 2013!

This is the benchmark we have been waiting for since the facebook poll to get Smash at Evo. You may remember that poll from the previous news article in October. The results from the poll have been in for a couple of months now: Super Smash Brothers Melee completely massacred the competition with 6,424 votes in first place, 900 votes ahead of second place. Super Smash Brothers Brawl placed 8th with 1,982 votes.

Below is a list of EVO 2013 games and their vote totals on the poll:

1. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 3,503
  2. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 - 3,319
  3. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 2,696
  4. Mortal Kombat 9 - 1,215
  5. Street Fighter X Tekken v2013 - 910
  6. King of Fighters 13 - 3,517
  7. Persona 4 Arena - 2,554
  8. Player's choice (Any game's that got over 500 votes in their poll, is allowed for the voting process.)

Big surprise here: Smash Brothers is not on the official list of inducted games. However, by garnering more than 500 votes, (a feat accomplished also by the likes of MLP: Fighting is Magic,) the community has earned a chance to compete in another trial:

Who can donate the most to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation?

To make donations on behalf of Super Smash Bros. Melee: visit here.
To make donations on behalf of Super Smash Bros. Brawl: visit here.

There are exactly 3 weeks to begin making donations for each game and their respective gaming community. Let's show Evo that Smash deserves to obtain a spot on the Evo 2013 line-up!

Content Contributor(s): Hylian, Exarch
Source: Shoryuken

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Smash vs. ponies.

Good luck everypo--er everyone!

But yeah, with all those votes WHY wouldn't they already put Melee on there?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
They really didn't give melee a slot even though it had the #1 votes? Thats messed up.

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I'll donate as soon as I get my check this friday! :)
we gotta spread it on all the facebook smash bros groups!
WAIT, but is it the one with most votes, or most money donated?
I'm seeing most money..

Spife

Smash Master
They really didn't give melee a slot even though it had the #1 votes? Thats messed up.
totally agree, I like how we beat out EVERY one of those games (didn't we double some of their votes?)
Fantastic story, EVO. Please let me know when the hardcover copy drops so I can get one.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I said it at Joystiq's article, and I'll say it again.
Are you bull****ing me? No Melee when it completely DOMINATED all the other fighting games in the public polls at EVO's Facebook?
How do games at EVO get voted in anyways?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
On the one hand, it would be nice to have Melee at Evo. On the other hand, this is a major slap in the face after that poll result. It is apparent now the FGC doesn't care about smash, but they are willing to exploit us for their feel-good publicity stunt by asking us to beg them for recognition. I'll think about donating, but I for one don't feel the need to be validated with some token, meaningless, off-stream "tournament."

Djent

Smash Champion
On the one hand, it would be nice to have Melee at Evo. On the other hand, this is a major slap in the face after that poll result. It is apparent now the FGC doesn't care about smash, but they are willing to exploit us for their feel-good publicity stunt by asking us to beg them for recognition. I'll think about donating, but I for one don't feel the need to be validated with some token, meaningless, off-stream "tournament."
First of all, the EVO staff made explicitly clear that the poll was not "final," and that doing well would not necessarily guarantee a spot. I kind of wish that the poll was factored in more heavily somehow, but it's not like they were dishonest about it. Mr.Wizard was on Wake-Up SRK last night, and he expressed concern about the representativeness of using Facebook to make the final verdict. I wish he'd have just picked Melee, but he raised some valid concerns.

Also, "token, meaningless, off-stream" is not how I'd describe *any* EVO event (let alone a main game). Have you watched EVO in the past at all? If you are one of the main games at EVO, you get on the main stage. Finals of every main game are always streamed and garner 50K+ views. The odds may be stacked against you what with rapid bronies and potential PSAS/Divekick studio donations, but to say that getting in wouldn't make a difference is naive.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
None of you would be complaining about the Facebook poll not being final if Melee didn't win.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
It's more of the fact that we had hade such a demand victory. We literally had 2x more votes than second place.
Still, you wouldn't be complaining if another game had the same thing happen. Fact is, you guys knew that the poll wasn't final from the start and now you're just pushing your victim complex out of spite and fear that other games still have a chance. Stop being cowards and accept the fact that other games have earned their chance just as much as you have, and if any other game had that much of a lead the same thing would've happened and you wouldn't have said a damn thing. Pretending to be victims just to win is disgusting and if I were Mr. Wizard I'd throw Melee out of the running right now, possibly even make Brawl the winner to give you a reason to feel like victims.

tl;dr trademark Melee fanbase pessimism and hostility toward anyone but them.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Still, you wouldn't be complaining if another game had the same thing happen. Fact is, you guys knew that the poll wasn't final from the start and now you're just pushing your victim complex out of spite and fear that other games still have a chance. Stop being cowards and accept the fact that other games have earned their chance just as much as you have, and if any other game had that much of a lead the same thing would've happened and you wouldn't have said a damn thing. Pretending to be victims just to win is disgusting and if I were Mr. Wizard I'd throw Melee out of the running right now, possibly even make Brawl the winner to give you a reason to feel like victims.

If Skullgirls or something like that wins, than whatever. But the fact they put Fighting is Magic, witch is a buggy game that still in alpha, and dosen't have any big tournament following, in the games that could be picked is pretty enraging. A sizable amount of bronies will see it and pick it just cause it has ponies. If it wins, only a few people will actually show up for the tourament. It would feel like a slap in the face to any one of the other communities. That's my biggest problem, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Oh I completely agree with you on Fighting is Magic, but my point was that they're not doing this out of spite and that so many people would rather insist that they're Snidely Whiplash and that every decision they make is them trying to screw us over instead of just accepting it and donating is disgusting.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I guess I'm more upset that SFxT and P4A got in outright when Melee is more popular, which the (non-binding) poll result is evidence of.

Everyone still hates SFXT right? What's different in this revised version?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
........How about INSTEAD of voting for Brawl.....How about Project: M yeah? I mean, Its really good and it should deserve a chance at becoming super big.....it fixes most of brawls problems and I think it will be a good fit instead of brawl! Don't kill me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Melee players still would've thought it was dumb if a game garnered as many votes as Melee did and that wasn't taken into account, we just wouldn't have cared. Why would we complain about a game we don't play being screwed over by EVO?

You can take your self-righteous, "mightier-than-thou" attitude and shove it.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Melee players still would've thought it was dumb if a game garnered as many votes as Melee did and that wasn't taken into account, we just wouldn't have cared. Why would we complain about a game we don't play being screwed over by EVO?

You can take your self-righteous, "mightier-than-thou" attitude and shove it.
Not good enough. The way they're reacting now is them having a victim complex because Mr. Wizard didn't put them in automatically. They're acting like this is special and they hate them, which they would not be saying if, say, MLP:FiM got that many votes instead. Obviously they wouldn't be upset, but none of them would even think any of the crap they're spewing right now and would've just donated.

Also, you wouldn't be saying that last part if you knew other people agreed with me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
They wouldn't be saying that if MLP got that many votes for two reasons
1. We don't play MLP, so why should we care?
2. It's a crap game anyway

And it isn't completely out of left field to suggest that the kiddie, uncompetitive Nintendo game that got the most votes would receive special treatment (and not the good kind of special).

More than one person can be pompous, and people of that ilk congregate.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@bizro that's a terrible argument. If mlp beat us in the poll 6:1 we would have said well, we should have voted more. Obviously if they did this after we lost we'd be happy to have a second chance but no one would ignore the fact it would a second chance and at this point it's us having a second hurdle so f course no ones happy.

Honestly I was rooting for mlp since its getting the exact same flak were getting. I was rooting for them until 4chan said lol lets vote and troll the FGC. Although they made us the lesser of two evils and we might get some extra FGC dollars since they hate the idea of an unfinished indie game being on the main stage without a concrete community.

:phone:

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@Grim the things they're being accused of (scamming people out of money by thinking they had a chance and then not giving them what they promised) would be inexcusable no matter who they did it to, however they wouldn't even care if it happened to anything but Melee. Either that or they don't actually believe it and are just playing the victim to inflate their persecution complex to convince themselves that the FGC is bad, which is probably the case. They should care anyway, but they wouldn't, either because of selfishness or because they're just trying as hard as possible to be negative out of spite (neither of which are new for their community).

By the way, I'm not being holier-than-thou. I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone or that I'm so great, but what's happening is, in my opinion, disgusting.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
lol... "what's happening" is disgusting. And "what's happening" exactly? It seems to me "what's happening" is you're getting your panties in a bunch over one post.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
@EWB This is the sentiment of many other people in other threads. Just because you only see one post here doesn't mean it's the only one ever.

Top Bottom